[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 78 KB, 1024x768, 49901__99302.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2590801 No.2590801 [Reply] [Original]

What are the best PS1 games?

>> No.2590803

Metal Gear and Final Fantasy

>> No.2590805

Vandal Hearts.

>> No.2590829

I recommend Legend of Mana. It has great replay value, and is a very beautiful looking game.

>> No.2590850

The Crash games?

>> No.2590868

>>2590801
Tales of Destiny

>>2590829
I HATED the way LoM controls. Being stuck facing only left and right in combat when you can normally go all directions just felt like Square wanted to cut corners on animation and it ruined the combat. Also it's way too stupid easy. I killed the final boss in Nightmare mode with two hits from a flail, and it wasn't even crazy forged up.

I do love the storytelling being a bunch of vignettes, the world building and that god tier music though. The game just hurts a little cause of that combat, but I still played through it three times...

>> No.2590880

>>2590801
here's some of what I think are the best, but I'm definitely missing stuff
>Ace Combat 2, 3 (can't fucking wait until the 3JP translation is done, there's so much more of the game that we didn't get)
>Ridge Racer (all of them)
>Mega Man X4
>Crash Team Racing
>Ape Escape
>Silent Bomber (go fucking play this right now)
>Omega Boost (as a fast mech action game, I like it more than fucking Zone of the Enders)
>Klonoa
>Armored Core (all of them)
>Wipeout XL/2097, 3 (ideally, Special Edition but that's PAL only)
>Tekken 3
>really, most of Namco's later entries on the machine are great (their earlier stuff like Air Combat (AC2 shits on it), Cyber Sled (just an eh game), and Starblade Alpha (awful video quality, choppy targeting control) isn't too hot)

and here's some favorites even if I wouldn't put them on an "absolute best of the system" list:
>Sanvein
>Tales of Destiny
>Psychic Force (great with a friend)
>Street Fighter EX2+
>Soukyugurentai (better on Saturn though -- but the earlier version has issues when run on a US Saturn with an Action Replay, since it loads an unfinished localization)
>RayStorm (didn't like it as much as RayForce, but it's still definitely a good game)
>G-Darius (there's a collection with a port of this for the PS2 -- get that if you can instead, this version slows down like a motherfucker)

>>2590868
>I HATED the way LoM controls. Being stuck facing only left and right in combat when you can normally go all directions just felt like Square wanted to cut corners on animation and it ruined the combat.
Depends. Like, Dynamite Deka 1 (Die Hard Arcade) is significantly better than 2 (Dynamite Cop) because you're always facing left/right (but in that game, they naively tried to make a beat-em-up with full 8-way movement but with mechanics like a beltscroller).
In LoM, it definitely feels dumb and I don't know why they did that, unlike in SoM or SD3.

>> No.2590889

>>2590801
Klonoa
Silent Hill
Megaman 8

>> No.2590892

>>2590880
>unlike in SoM or SD3.

That was what really threw me. I think had it been an all new game it wouldn't have stuck out as much. But I remember playing it for the first time. Everything looked incredible, it was fun and I was hyped and then the first combat happens and everything changed, it was such a what the fuck moment. I do still like the game, but wow how great it could have been with really solid combat.

Another really great PS1 game was Ghost in the Shell. Fantastic action.

>> No.2590894
File: 55 KB, 466x458, Jumping_Flash 2_Pal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2590892
>Another really great PS1 game was Ghost in the Shell. Fantastic action.

Seconded, one of my all time favorite PS1 games. Also Jumping Flash 1 and 2.

>> No.2590925

>>2590894
Damn straight they were! That studio was so fucking good.

>> No.2590934

>>2590801
RPG: Valkyrie Profile
Adventure: Alundra

>> No.2590938

>>2590892
>GITS
actually kind of mad I forgot about that
so good, so stylish

Jumping Flash is fun but way too easy. Time-attacking it is pretty interesting though.

>> No.2590950

>>2590801
Long ass post coming trough:

Tekken
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Rival Schools
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX 2
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold
JoJo´s Bisarre Adventure
CAPCOM vs SNK Pro
Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes
Bloody Roar
Bloody Roar 2
Dead or Alive
Tobal Nº1
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Dragon Quest VII
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Wild Arms
Wild Arms 2
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Vandals Hearts
Vandals Hearts II
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2
Monster Rancher
Monster Rancher 2
Brave Fencer Musashi
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Dino Crisis
Dino Crisis 2
Crash Team Racing
Wip3Out XL
Ridge Racer Revolution
Rage Racer
Ridge Racer Type-4
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Sheep Rider
Ape Escape
Jumping Flash
Jumping Flash 2
Klonoa
Megaman Legends
Megaman Legends 2
Medievil
Medievil 2
Silent Hill
Metal Gear Solid
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Winning Eleven 4 (inb4 fucking normies)
ParaPa the Rappa

>> No.2591080

>>2590950

>listing 2D Capcom fighting ports

Marvel vs Capcom is a disgrace on PS1.

>> No.2591085

>>2590950

>WE4

Have you ever tried ISS Pro Evolution? The AI is actually good and the game allows you to play not so on rails like other WE titles. ISS PE2 in other hand is a regular WE game

>> No.2591089

>>2590950
Good list, but you're missing Syphon Filter, Medal of Honor, Oddworld, and shmups like Einhander and G Darius.

>> No.2591096

>>2591089
Oh yeah, and Colony Wars. Fucking amazing games right there.

>> No.2591103

>>2591080
Every 2D fighter is a disgrace on the PS1. Choppy as fuck with half the frames thrown out the window.

>> No.2591107

>>2591103

Yeah but MvC especially, it doesn't even have tag battle, just 1 vs 1.

>> No.2591116 [DELETED] 

>>2590801

There are none as ps1 games have aged like rotten milk.

>> No.2591119

>>2591107
I've never liked Capcom's vs games anyways, so I didn't bother with it. That sounds on the level of the UMK3 port where the game freezes for like 10 seconds every time you morph with Shang Tsung.

>> No.2591294

What's the point of these threads? People are just going to post the same obvious shit over and over and say nothing about the games themselves or why they would recommend them.

>Final Fantasy
>Final Fantasy
>Final Fantasy
>Resident Evil
>Resident Evil
>Tekken
>Tekken
>Crash Bandicoot
>Crash Bandicoot

Ad nauseum...

You may as well go to GameFAQs and look at the top games for any given platform.

People could at least try to recommend hidden gems or otherwise less commonly known (decent) budget titles, and / or give brief explanations about some of their recommendations. Don't just drive-by post a platform's top 10 and move on. That's not contributing to the thread in any way.

>> No.2591318

>>2591103
OG Guilty Gear is pretty good.

>> No.2591379

>>2591318
it really isn't

was a neat first attempt though, good sense of style and as a fighting game made around the PS1's abilities+limits, it manages to be a bit impressive

balance is fucked, instant kills in GG1 are retarded (much easier to land than later games, WINS BOTH ROUNDS), actual fighting needed a bit of polish
to be fair, I think the first honestly good GG was #Reload

>>2591294
>give brief explanations about some of their recommendations.
I would, but character limit.

>> No.2591405

>>2591379
Fair enough, I was just judging it by the fact that it runs smoothly.

>> No.2591414

>>2591294

you forgot Metal Gear Solid and Spyro

>> No.2591438

>Vagrant Story
Really unique take on the JRPG. Probably one of, if not the best looking PS1 game. A compelling story, and really fun and unique combat system. It has this huge element of isolation and independence since you need to acquire all your items from chests, fallen enemies or crafted via a fairly interesting crafting and weapon customization system, as there are no shops. Pretty lengthy, took me 20 hours casually but I did have to use a guide at points (like the Snowfly forest), and there are a handful of points where you get a key that unlocks doors that are way way back so theres quite a bit of backtracking at times. Its definitely got a high learning curve, but it has very good ingame guides you can utilize.

>Dino Crisis 2
Dino Crisis 1 was pretty meh, its a resident evil clone with dinosaurs and you basically never bother killing stuff because unlike resident evil the dinosaurs respawn. Dino Crisis 2 is completely different. Run and Gun arcade style action. A completely balls to the walls story, lightning fast pacing, gameplay really make it stand out. Its pretty short, I think I beat it in ~4 hours but since its so short it really can be easily replayed, since a 4 hour gaming session while a bit long these days (I usually can get 2 1/2-3 hours) is able to be readily beaten in 1 sitting. There are a few minigames which are pretty fun, and reward you for doing well.

>> No.2591445

>>2591438
>Final Fantasy 7
Theres a reason this is so widely regarded as the best Final Fantasy, and even JRPG. The pacing is great, its rife with fun minigames that rarely overstay their welcome. The scenarios are interesting and engaging, and theres lots to explore and just the right amount of side quests and super bosses. The gameplay is simple, if a bit easy. The exp and money curve is great, and its rare you don't have enough money for new items in shops and are rarely underleveled. Materia is a fantastic system that has a surprising amount of depth. Its really light hearted and a nice game to sit down with for about 15-20hours.

>Armored Core
Kind of the grand daddy of at least the console game Mech genre. Tons of customization options for your AC, including paint and emblems which you can easily drop hours and hours on, maybe even longer then the actual missions. Definitely has a learning curve, as the control scheme is a bit dated, but its a hard and satisfying game, and like I said, customizing your AC and trying out different parts is really fun.

>> No.2591465

>>2591445
>Megaman Legends 1/2
Arguments between which is better, the original or two are pretty much neck and neck. I personally prefer 2 because the actual gameplay, aiming, shooting, locking on, moving, jumping, skating, and the stuff you get, weapons, and what not are better in MML2. MML is a bit more archaic feeling, but definitely enjoyable and Kattelox island where the entire game takes place (as opposed to multiple island in MML2) is super comfy, and rife sidequests and hidden content. I still rank 2 slightly higher, despite the story and setting being not as good, and a few of the dungeons really, really sucking, again, because the gameplay is more appealing.

>Megaman X4
Introduces Zero as a fully playable character, which adds a lot of replayability. Zero is a nice change of pace from the traditional X and gets his own unique moves from the Mavericks you fight. Genuinely solid all around, which good level design, and memorable mavericks, with just the right amount of difficulty. My first game on PS1 and I nostalgia pretty hard for it.

>> No.2591487

>>2591465
>Metal Gear Solid
I believe this to be the "true" beginning of the "cinematic experience" style game, but it has the gameplay to back it up really well. The stealth mechanics at times can be clunky, but you can also play it like an action shooter without too much difficulty. Shadow Moses is probably the single best setting in a Metal Gear game to date, and the characters you meet are all memorable. Gameplay is a bit lacking, due to limitations (like no first person aiming) that are available in the remake (dont play the remake), or teh sequels. Tons of hidden items, and easter eggs to find, as well as your choices mattering/2 endings (although theres a canon ending)

>Final Fantasy Tactics
My childhood defining game. Its story is engaging and interesting, the gameplay is more engaging then traditional JRPG's and the job system is really fun to explore. Its "easy" once you understand the mechanics and what is good and whats not good, but in a first playthrough you will run up against some moderate challenges (Dorter Trade City, Wiegraf battles, etc) that may make you think a bit or change up your tactics. The customization you can give your characters in terms of gear, and abilities is amazing, and adds a lot of depth to the game, although, unfortunately, this is under utilized as you will often be up against the same enemies compositions over and over, which is a real shame.

All the games I posted are my 10/10's on the PS1. Some I hadn't really played until recently (Vagrant Story, Dino Crisis 2, Megaman Legends 2) and others I played during my childhood and again, replayed recently. Theres probably more great games I just haven't really gotten to yet, but I would seriously consider starting with these as they have all been fantastic.

>> No.2591509 [DELETED] 

>>2591438
>Vagrant Story
Did you mean
"Crate Puzzle: The Game" ?

Also, the game, you just lost it :^)

>> No.2591620

>>2591509
>the game
2007 called, they want their memes back.

>> No.2591624

>>2591103

The only good fighter on PS1 was Soul Edge/Souls Blade. Game was made to run n 30fps and it works great.

>> No.2591627

>>2591620
2007 was a better year for memes anyway

>> No.2591696

Been playing via PS1 emulator an ISO of Symphony of the Night with proper Japanese dialog and entirely retranslated English subtitles. I love it.
>>2591509
>The Game
I own it.

>> No.2591707
File: 36 KB, 320x480, 1526827787_f0066491ca.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2591627
You're totally right tbh

>> No.2591767
File: 11 KB, 249x270, 1366102480679.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2591696
>tfw Italian patch won't work on ANYTHING BUT A LEGIT COPY OF V1.0

JUST HOW AUTISTIC DO YOU HAVE TO BE, GOD I TRIED EVERY PPF PATCHER I EVEN MADE A SECOND BIN INCLUDING THE SEPARATE CDDA TRACKS BUT IT KEEPS DETECTING IT'S NOT LEGIT AND SHOWING ME A FUCKING "PIRACY IS BAD PLS USE EBAY" SPLASH SCREEN AND LOCKING THE PROGRAM INTO AN INFINITE LOOP, I DON'T EVEN PIRATE CURRENT GAMES AND I SHOULD TAKE THE PATIENCE LOOK FOR YOUR EXPENSIVE SNOWFLAKE FIRST RUN OF THE GAME BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T CARE SUPPORTING EVERY JAPANESE RELEASE INSTEAD

I JUST WANTED TO TRY OUT YOUR TRANSLATION AND THIS IS HOW YOU THANK ME.

>> No.2592032 [DELETED] 

>>2591627
Greastest meme of 2007. THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE THE CAKE IS A LIE

>> No.2592120
File: 352 KB, 583x554, vdhjhhfghfgh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this

>> No.2592479

>>2590801
Speed Punks and CTR are great kart racers

>> No.2592523
File: 341 KB, 400x400, Tomba!_NTSC.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tomba, pic related.

I have never seen an rpg platformer. It's fun as fuck, difficult and has lots of humor.

Too bad the sequel hit the polygon ceiling so hard it killed the franchise.

I still dream with a reboot in the Wii U and Tomba as a character in Smash Bros. Dreaming is free...

>> No.2592916

>>2591624
I would say Bushido Blade was pretty good as well, but that's an odd sort of fighter. Otherwise I agree though, loved Soul Blade.

>> No.2593005

>>2592916
I would say it's somewhat realistic, maiming limbs and making your oponent limp and get weaker as the fight progresses. Also, some stages, IIRC, require that you slowly and honorably defeat your oponent when you can always go for the head and kill him.

>> No.2593061
File: 155 KB, 710x708, MediEvil_-_Front_Cover_NTSC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favorite game, Period. I can't recommend this enough.

>> No.2593092

Vagrant Story is amazing

>> No.2594254

Disruptor is great game
Quake2
Wip3out is fun also has awesome soundtracks

>> No.2594289

>>2593061
>Bad graphics even for the era
>Awful camera that never seems to look in the direction where you need it
>Repetitive level design

Although i do admit, it's slightly more fun than the sequel. I think it's way overhyped, and has not "aged" well.

>> No.2594290

>>2590801
my holy trinity is:

metal gear solid
symphony of the night
crash team racing

>> No.2594303

>>2590801
>>2590801
Oddworld Abe's Exoddus
Crash Bandicoot (the first one)
Need For Speed Porsche 2000

>> No.2594307

>>2594303
>Liking the first Crash but not the sequels

Hmm? They are like, just the same game but with more content.

>> No.2594309

I used to love Ghoul Panic.

>> No.2594316

>>2591080
I know that they are better on SEGA consoles, but i already got them on the PSONE by the time i bought the Saturn and the Dreamcast.
>>2591085
Winning Eleven 4 is ISS Pro Evolution i just call it like that to avoid confusion.
>>2591089
I will see if i can get them.

>> No.2594398

>>2590801
>Asks for PS1 game
>Pic of on PSone

>> No.2594404

>>2594398

don't worry, I get triggered everytime I see a PSOne too.

Hell, I still get triggered everytime I see dualshock controllers and not the original PS controllers.

>> No.2594454

>>2594398
It is literally the same console

>> No.2594459

>>2594454
This; only difference being it has a slightly better drive.

>> No.2594597

Ridge Racer Type 4
Metal Gear Solid
Symphony of the night
Legend of Mana
Blood Omen

>> No.2594602

>Ctrl+F
No legend of dragoon? For shame

>> No.2594791

>>2594602
For shit, even for its time LoD was kind of shitty, the only ¨good¨ thing it has is the combat, the rest is mediocre at best.

>> No.2594907

>>2590950
How you gonna list legends and not x4.

>> No.2594917
File: 228 KB, 1680x1050, tomba 2 map test.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2592523
my nigga

I loved the second game so much that I ripped all the textures from it and I'm making a map for gmod based off the starting beach.

>> No.2594921

>>2594917
Nice. Btw, this makes me wonder if there are any neat romhacks for the PS1. I'm aware of the FF stuff, but I'm also wondering if there are things of a similar vein for the other games

>> No.2594938
File: 28 KB, 300x293, 81N4ADW1PQL._SX300_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Omega Boost is a must have, one of the best shooters. They actually still have some available brand new to order on Amazon surprisingly

>> No.2594970
File: 62 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2594254
Quake 2 is surprisingly decent on PS1. Very, very nice lighting -- maybe too bright and colorful, but it looks really nice. Mostly decent framerate, which it even manages to keep high in 4 player splitscreen.
shame about the retarded sealed-off looking skies that are just some gouraud shaded polygons.

biggest issue is that you can't configure the controls nearly as much as you should
like, why is the left stick turn and move forward/back and the right strafe look up/down and strafe, and why can't you change that
why can't you have type C controls but with d-pad strafe since using triangle+square to look up/down is completely perfect (and it's what I use in Armored Core)

Otherwise, it's a great port.
here, have an awful stretched pic from youtube

>> No.2595226

>>2590801
I see you guys forgot Metal Slug, both of them

>> No.2595463

Tobal 1 & 2.
Great fighters made by Dream Factory with art direction by Akira Miyamoto.
There's an arcade mode and a Story mode that are tons of fun. Competitively speaking there's alot of meat to the fighting system, esp in Tobal 2. Tobal 2 also has like 200-201 characters give or take.

>> No.2595469

>>2595463
Shit I meant Akira Toriyama, my bad. I just woke up.

>> No.2595561
File: 137 KB, 703x1135, Son Mario.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2595463
>Akira Miyamoto

>> No.2595582
File: 330 KB, 640x480, Pita Ten.mp4_snapshot_14.59_[2015.07.28_22.21.38].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2595561

How many years did you wait to have a chance to post that picture?

>> No.2595632
File: 42 KB, 250x250, AkiraToriyama.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2595582

I actually just googled "goku mario"

>> No.2596303
File: 159 KB, 344x339, 1370581790754.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2595632

>> No.2596687

Chrono Cross
Quake 2
Gran Turismo 2
Duke Nukem: Time To Kill
Twisted Metal 4
Tomb Raiders
Tekken 3
Bloody Roar 2

>> No.2596690

>>2590850

Y E S

>> No.2596693

Silent Hill is one of the best games of all time.
That square plate puzzle took me some time.

>> No.2596697

>>2590801

Wip3out
Tenchu
Strider 2
Gran Turismo 2
Tomb Raider 1 (don't buy 2)
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania SOTN
Resident Evil 2

I also liked playing The 5th Element game, Alien Resurrection, and Ridge Racer 4.

>> No.2596794

>>2594454
>I literally don't know what the word literally means
No one on /v/ does

>> No.2596804

It's called a psx...

>> No.2596812
File: 133 KB, 600x600, wwf-smackdown-2-know-your-role-usa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Had good time playing this

>> No.2596817

I'll add Blazing Dragons with Cheech Marin, Crusader No Remorse, the NFS series, Rock'n'Roll Racing 2 Red Asphalt. Nuclear and Soviet Strike. Command and Conquer RA.

>> No.2596990

>>2590801
Tai Fu: Wrath of the tiger & Akuji: The heartless.

>> No.2597523

>Tomb Raider
>Bushido Blade
>Tekken 2
>Resident Evil 2
>Ghost in the Shell
>Spider-man
>Spyro
Those are just my personal opinion though

>> No.2598458

long ass post here, my personal favorites:

Spyro 1, 2, and 3
Crash 1, 2, 3, and CTR
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Rayman
Metal Gear Solid
Croc, Legend of the Gobbos
Dragon Valor
Resident Evil 2
Tekken 2 and 3
Namco Museum Vol.1
Tomb Raider series
Megaman X4 and X5
Megaman 8
Looney Tunes Sheep Raider
Mortal Kombat Trilogy and MK4
Spider-Man 1 and 2
Guardians Crusade
Medievil 1 and 2
Blasto
Driver 2
Marvel Super Heroes
Doom
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
Frogger 1 and 2
Riven: the Sequel to Myst
WWF Smack Down 2
Twisted Metal 2
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

I might be forgetting a few

>> No.2598461
File: 66 KB, 500x504, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Easy question.

Tekken 3
Spyro 2

Try proving me wrong: you can't.

>> No.2598464

>>2594602

Amen anon

>> No.2598487

>>2598464
Dragoon is a bland and uninspired Final Fantasy wannabe.

>> No.2598512

>>2595561
>>2595582
>>2595632
>>2595632
We all know Mario was just basically male not-Arale with an Italian accent.

Toriyama helped shape famous video game franchises so much it's not even funny.

>> No.2598641

>>2598487

Still enjoyed the game. Major feels when Lavitz died.

>> No.2598647
File: 40 KB, 600x596, 36770-Diablo_[U]-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2590801

If you had a fucking friend to play with you would sit them the fuck down and you would play this game until you were both ready to flop over and die.

Fun as shit jesus. Mind you, never played Diablo on PC or any such so maybe I was missing out.

>> No.2598660

>>2593061
shit.

>> No.2598681

>>2598647
I don't really understand how you could say that you haven't played it on the PC and not be trolling at this point...

>> No.2598684

>>2594289
while I agree with most of your points, I really hate it when people use the "it hasn't aged well" argument, since you could really say that about any older game depending on what your standards are, it's completely subjective, it's just a hollow statement meant to discredit things the responder doesn't like.

>> No.2598708

>>2598681
Not him or him but this is another rare case of "it was primarily made for PC so I automatically assume the later released console port is shit."

>> No.2599470

>>2598660
From what I've played of its demo; I disagree.

>> No.2599561

Resident evil 2 is a good game. Maybe .y favorite on ps1

>> No.2599584
File: 12 KB, 320x240, hm-btn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2590801
If you like simulation games, then look no further than Harvest Moon: Back to Nature. This game is also the competitor to Harvest Moon 64 (it was supposed to be a direct copy iirc but it spiraled into it's own thing) and, in my opinion, is the best version. The characters from the 64 version are the same, but have different jobs and personalities (for the most part). Also, the world feels less empty and the rate at which each day goes by isn't as hardcore. This, again, is better. Also the festivals are better and the map is structured better.

Anyhow, this game has it all: (1) crop and livestock husbandry, (2) mining and fishing, (3) good setting and addictive gameplay, (4) good characters, (5) some nice scenery, (6) enjoyable activities, called festivals, like horse racing and henfighting that only help to immerse you more, (7) building your farm from abandonment by improving your buildings and such, and (8) finally dating, marrying, and building a family with your waifu of choice.

There is one annoying issue, however, and that's the load time between areas. It's not too bad once get used to it, but if you played the 64 version first, then that'll hit you hard.

>> No.2599715

>>2598681
I don't follow how any of this could be trolling?

All I meant was I never played the PC version but the PSX version was a really fun game.

>> No.2601305 [DELETED] 
File: 633 KB, 1453x1476, 14638d1335979026-wild-arms-pal-font-rear-cd-ps1_wildarms_front_de.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love the setting of this game. The story and combat are average fare but the resetting and soundtrack aways get me.

>> No.2601310
File: 633 KB, 1453x1476, 14638d1335979026-wild-arms-pal-font-rear-cd-ps1_wildarms_front_de.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love the setting of this game. The story and combat are average fare but the setting and soundtrack are comfy as fuck.

>> No.2603195

>>2590801
Dragon warrior Vii
Brigandine: Legend of Forsena
Deception 3
Xenogears
Blasto
Bushido blade
Diablo
Tenchu stealth assassins

>> No.2605765

hardly any mentions of Driver and Driver 2

Driver 2 was far too ahead of it's time, but great nonetheless

>> No.2605819

>>2605765

This. People tend to make fun to the wonky Tanner model and movements but always forget about 4 detailed cities, intense action, a cheesy but funny story like a police movie and all those little details which made the game that gem. ESTAMOS LE PISANDO LOS TALONES

>> No.2605829

>>2605819
most people never got past the garage test thing

>> No.2605832
File: 194 KB, 200x93, 1435252338792.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2601310
My nigga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFhD87di0I

>> No.2605997
File: 54 KB, 639x479, tumblr_m5zhiu1Lls1r2yiymo6_r1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2590801
Rate my favorite PS1 games /vr/

Adventures of Lomax
Akuji the heartless
Alundra
Apocalypse
Armored Core
Armored Core - Master of arena
Armored Core - Project phantasma
Cardinal Syn
Castlevania chronicles
Circuit breakers
Countdown vampires
Dino Crisis 1
Dino Crisis 2
Disney's Hercules action game
Disney's Tarzan
Disruptor
Duke Nukem - Time to kill
Ehrgeiz - God bless the ring
Eternal eyes
Fantastic four
Fear effect 1
Fear effect 2 - Retro helix
Gekido
Gex
Ghost in the shell
In the hunt
Iron Man & X-O Manowar in heavy metal
Iron Soldier 3
Johnny Bazookatone
Kartia - The world of fate
Kensei - The sacred fist
Klonoa - Door of phantomile
Koudelka
Legend of the dragoon
Legend of mana
Lost world - Special edition
Lunar 1 - Silver star story complete
Lunar 2 - Eternal blue
Martian gothic
Medievil 1
Medievil 2
Metal gear solid
Metal gear solid - VR missions
Micro machines v3
Nightmare creatures 1
Nightmare creatures 2
Ninja - Shadow of darkness
Omega boost
One
Parasite Eve 1
Parasite Eve 2
Persona 1
Persona 2 - Eternal punishment
Po'ed
Rayman
Re-loaded
Resident evil 1 - Director's cut - dual shock version
Resident evil 2 - Dual shock version
Resident evil 3 - Nemesis
Rosco McQueen Firefighter extreme
Silent Hill
Skeleton Warriors
Skull monkeys
Soul of the Samurai
Spawn - The eternal
Spider - The video game
Spider-Man 1
Spider-man 2 - Enter - Electroc
Strider 1
Strider 2
Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2
Syphon Filter 1
Syphon Filter 2
Syphon Filter 3
T.R.A.G. - Mission of mercy
Tench 1 - Stealth assassins
Tenchu 2 - Birth of the stealth assassins
Tomba! 1
Tomba! 2 - The evil swin return
Vagrant story
Vampire Hunter D
Wrathpath - Jurassic Park
Wild 9

And the PAL exclusives:

Chaos break
Eliminator
Gungage
Legend
Mickey's wild adventure
Namco soccer prime goal
Onside complete soccer
Overblood 2
Rapid reload

>> No.2606026

>>2605997
Honestly, if your "favorites" exceed 10, then you're basically just listing everything worth a damn.

>> No.2606028

>>2606026
Post yours then

>> No.2606029

>>2605997
>favorite
>lists every game he likes

pick ONE
POSSIBLY TWO TIED BUT NEVER THREE OR MORE

>> No.2606043

>>2606029
You're 100% right, someone can't have more than one two three favorite games, because the great journalism of videogames states that you can't have more than one two three favorite games.

>> No.2606046

>>2606043

The whole purpose of the term 'favourite' in this context is to select a FEW games, not a list of every great to mediocre game on the system.

You need to be able to read social context for word definitions to be eligible for non-autismal existence.

>> No.2606050

>>2605997

Gex is a 3DO game.
I think the point of making a list of favorite games means that they must be exclusive, or at least have some redeeming factor that makes it more worthwhile than the original.

Gex was basically the 3DO's mascot, so I like to play Gex on the 3DO. Also better d-pad.

>> No.2606052

>>2606050
the redeeming factor is the fact it's not on a completely failed $400 system

>> No.2606057

>>2606052

The d-pad is still better.

>> No.2606075

>>2606028
I did it last PS1 thread and I actually explained why I liked them, and gave reasons why I thought they were literal 10/10s.

Any moron can look up the library of PS1 games and copy paste here.

>> No.2606105

>>2590801
Wipeout 3

>> No.2606278

Wipeout 2097 (XL) and PaRappa

>> No.2606305

>>2591294
A usual starting point is normally just
>Crash
>Spyro
>Nearly everything Square put on the system.

There are a fuckton of other great games and hidden gems though.