Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2016/06/28: We're halfway there! 2016/06/15: We've run out of space for images and need to upgrade our storage. Warosu is looking for a sponsor to support this effort. Email "haha at warosu" if interested.

/3/ - 3DCG


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 235 KB, 1088x612, top-panel-device.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547681 No.547681 [Reply] [Original]

Hi, I want to know if this kind of mouse is useful for 3D modeling in 3ds max or Zbrush ? Someone use it here ?

>> No.547715

I own one and it's awesome. You can get a used one for a good price on eBay. But it doesn't work in zbrush.



File: 341 KB, 1920x1080, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547679 No.547679 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /3/, I have a question about pic related; I am new to 3D and have had Daz for about a month, decided to try out C4D by getting a 40 day free trial, however the one function that is disabled is being able to render larger than 1200x800. I want to render larger but also want to be able to export this file as an .obj to mess around with in Photoshop. When I do export it, it does not have any of the materials. I have the spectral shader on as the color in the program, and when I place a solid color where that pattern is it exports with the color attached.
So tl;dr, how do I export this with the materials attached to mess around with primarily in Photoshop?



File: 337 KB, 1920x1168, unreal-engine-4-editor-window.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547667 No.547667 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone does Unreal Mapping in here?

I loved making maps since i was 11 back in the day. I'm learning UE4 for the Pre Alpha

Can't make meshes for SHIT though.

Has anyone gotten experience on making Unreal Tournament maps recently? what's your experiences like?

>> No.547668

make your levels with bsp brushes and just drag in materials. however i think you might need to make your own materials if you want original ones

>> No.547676

>>547668
I already know how to make maps, the thing is, the workflow is different ad kinda don't like it

For instance in UE2 everything was subtractive and UE3 and 4 is Additive. Looks like it's more logical but adds pointless work in everything, more noticeable on closed maps because instead of "carving" rooms you add walls and such, making it more of a chore

Sure, you can still make a big ass brush and then substract the inside and keep doing so to build stuff, but, and a big BUT, is that you're in risk of fucking the hierarchy of Additive/subtractive/Additive brushes

>It was always like that, the risk of doing that with BSPs

Yeeeeh, but didn't took 2 minutes to bake lightmaps either because outside walls DIDNT EXIST and now they have to

Still it's a fun thing to do, and your 3D modelling skills and map design is tested in an already cool game

Now, as for materials, it's a pain considering the in game ones are so limited and you almost have to make your own, making another painful workload.



File: 333 KB, 1920x1080, maxresdefault4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547663 No.547663 [Reply] [Original]

Which one's better?

>> No.547664
File: 866 KB, 1664x2122, 09_jzaikp2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547664

Shit. I could have sworn this was /v/.

>> No.547680

bottom ofc

>> No.547689

>>547663
>Playing Overrated
>At any point in time

>> No.547712

From a /3/ standpoint, I'd say TF2. The models work with far less and are more impressive in that respect.

The OW cast is all over the place; each model feels like it was designed and created for a different game.

>> No.547719

>>547712
tf2 is what you call good art direction



File: 32 KB, 720x413, nexus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547645 No.547645 [Reply] [Original]

Hey I am using C4D and I am trying to model a controller.

Pic related is a 3D render of a software that looks like this http://img5.abload.de/img/refx20nexus20v2.21wfl.jpg and I wanna do something similar.

The problem is that idk what to search for in Google as this is a rather unpopular thing people would request tutorials for.

I already modeled simple 3d characters for an autistic meme channel on YouTube but I still have no idea how to modify the "roundness" of corners, how to slice little stripes off the rotary knobs to make them look more "grippy" and "real" and I don't even have an idea how to make a basic button model like the orange ones in the middle of https://www.thepixellab.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Free-C4D-3D-Model-Button-Kit-Knobs-Dials-648x532.jpg

Not expecting anyone to do my homework or to explain it in detail but if you could just give me some keywords so I know what to search for or if you could tell me what c4d tools I should learn that would be awesome.

I am not trying to get employed by Blizzard and I will certainly dig more into 3D modeling but for know it's just the simple things that I'd like to learn. I do know how to generally operate C4D, I am not a total newb

>> No.547647

Try this
Sub-D Modeling in C4D: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOD5j8bCas4HOi5OpspeVtTjtQwk5Cyw

>> No.547648

>>547647
>https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOD5j8bCas4HOi5OpspeVtTjtQwk5Cyw
actually looks like a good set of things to know. Will definitely watch it, cheers bro



File: 622 KB, 1920x1080, liam-tart-final-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547605 No.547605 [Reply] [Original]

ITT we post inspirational images for 3D

19 replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.547650
File: 79 KB, 564x1216, aaee4737fc53b408a3688ac686aabb0c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547650

>> No.547651
File: 137 KB, 1095x730, the_dark_knight_by_blazenmonk-d86sud6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547651

>> No.547652
File: 271 KB, 1600x1068, 8ae465ef0227cadeb597661198717b1c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547652

>> No.547653

>>547652
thicc

>> No.547657

>>547605

▲▲



File: 62 KB, 736x509, 1477075760774.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547553 No.547553 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How do you pronounce anon?
I've always said "Ay-non" but I know some people say "Ah-non" too.

>> No.547554

Oops, wrong board.



File: 248 KB, 500x469, tumblr_n35tpnT7Ji1qd4q8ao1_500 (1).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547521 No.547521 [Reply] [Original]

Does someone know how i could emulate PS1 graphics in maya?

The PS1 rendering had something that truly defined the console and gave it that feel that only it had.

I did some research and i found why its that way. Apparently if you look closely the vertices seem to snap on a grid. probably because ps1 didnt have good float values for vertices so they would snap visibly. It also seemed to do that from the camera point of view and not from the world. So points would snap if camera moved.

But then i dont really know how to do that on maya..

Anyone have a clue?

17 replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.547621

>>547618
yeah, it uses maya's PyMEL library

i'll paste the version for each frame in a second, though i don't recommend using it since it generates new geometry for each frame. will try to write a deformer using OpenMaya at some point

>> No.547622
File: 781 KB, 1080x763, youve_been_warned.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547622

>>547618
here you go:

import pymel.core as pm

obj = pm.ls(sl=1)[0]
pm.hide(obj)
grp = pm.group(em=1,n='kek')
snapTolerance = 0.05 #change this to adjust how fucked u want it

for i in range(int(cmds.playbackOptions(q=1,min=1)),int(cmds.playbackOptions(q=1,max=1))):
pm.currentTime(i)
dupe = pm.duplicate(obj)[0]
pm.setKeyframe(dupe,t=i-1,at='visibility',v=0)
pm.setKeyframe(dupe,t=i,at='visibility',v=1)
pm.setKeyframe(dupe,t=i+1,at='visibility',v=0)
pm.parent(dupe,grp)
for vert in dupe.verts:
pos = vert.getPosition()
vert.setPosition([pos[0]-(pos[0]%snapTolerance),pos[1]-(pos[1]%snapTolerance),pos[2]-(pos[2]%snapTolerance)])
print "done: "+str(i)

>> No.547678

>>547620
woah fuck, unity has something like that???

this gives me ideas, thanks for the links!


>>547621
>>547622

YES amazing!! Thats fine i'll probably use it at the end when im done animating.

You rock man. Here's a discord room to keep in touch for whoever is interested into doing this type of stuff. https://discord.gg/mnqy2kq

>> No.547713

a bit late to the party, but I've been looking (unsuccessfully) for an article I read a few years back on the PSX's inter-processor communication that caused this. The answer here is correct, but I'll keep looking for more technical sources:

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/a/26826

Maybe not directly helpful, but could get you in the right direction

TL;DR: the vector unit & rasterizer both only did fixed-point math, but you could only pass integers between the two

>> No.547716

>>547713
this guy again with a bit of a better explanation (with links to a more technical description) but still not the one I was looking for. Link to the full thread's in the top-right:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126418709&postcount=86



File: 874 KB, 2000x1039, techno theme.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547511 No.547511 [Reply] [Original]

so i have a question that maybe you can help me with, /3/.

see this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK9Wm3FMBP4&t=424s

it's basically a tutorial on taking generic flat techno textures, in this case, quake 2 green metal army base stuff, and then bending and breaking them along the lines however you want, to make shapes - basically texturing BEFORE modelling environmental shapes.

i think that's a great idea for a workflow that can come up with highly modular, reusable assets with super efficient poly/vert counts that still look cool.

problem is, i can't find any tutorial that would teach how to make these sorts of hand-made textures. really not getting anything relevant in youtube when i use predictable search terms.

is there anyone who has experience and knowledge of the first 2/3rds of 3D modelling? i've done some stuff like pic related, but i'm looking for photoshop education that would help me create a predictable and uniform procedure for making these kinds of textures.

>> No.547512
File: 47 KB, 427x822, TECHNIROTH.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547512

also did this



File: 34 KB, 400x300, coronal_loops_trace_6nov99_med.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547490 No.547490 [Reply] [Original]

What's the best website for free HD textures?
I'm becoming tired of CGtextures. They're becoming Jewish as fuck with download rates and file sizes and shit.

1 replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.547496

>>547494
What is this? A private tracker?
I'm not waiting 16 days to register. Fuck that.

>> No.547498

>>547496
>triggered

>> No.547499

>>547496
>hello my name is Anonymous and I cannot read
go back and read when registration opens again. Read very carefully, anon. I know it's difficult, but you'll manage. I believe in you.

>> No.547503

>>547496
You stupid fucker

>> No.547505
File: 3 KB, 105x118, 1468531282220.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547505

>>547494
IT OPENS TOMORROW. I'M NOT MISSING IT THIS TIME.



File: 55 KB, 500x500, vilppu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547452 No.547452 [Reply] [Original]

What's the vilppu of AAA character modelling?
I'm too retarded for sculpting from scratch.
can still sculpt details fine if I have a good base mesh.

9 replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.547526

>>547456
>not roto or matchmove

you must be new

>> No.547562

>>547526
This.

>> No.547563
File: 446 KB, 300x186, 1484102888528.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547563

>>547526

>> No.547613
File: 52 KB, 530x401, The-Utility-of-Grey-Aliens_photo_medium.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547613

>>547452

>> No.547616
File: 223 KB, 1920x1080, TriCone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547616

>>547452
Trollchan, it seems.
I mean, she´s the only who posts her actual works.
She even lurk here.



File: 39 KB, 500x440, 00747_resized.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547412 No.547412 [Reply] [Original]

>decided to start taking 3d seriously last summer
>been doing free work on and off for a few months now, cause I don't feel like I put enough effort into it
>some people are literally offering to pay me now, yet I still can take it
How do I overcome this?

post your requests btw, I feel like wasting my time and effort

9 replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.547682

>>547417
He doesn't procrastinate, he just feels that his work isn't good enough.

>> No.547684

>>547672
that shouldn't be to surprising. I personally took 2 months before I got paid for a piece. It was cheap. But money none the less.

>> No.547692

>>547684
So you had a portfolio to show in 2 months?

>> No.547700
File: 265 KB, 562x514, char.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547700

>>547692
i saw someone who has been working in the industry for more than 10 years and this is the type of stuff that hes doing.
my only guess is why he is hired in the first place is because he can do GUI and programming

>> No.547705

>>547672
I've been fucking around with 3d since 2008 or so



File: 230 KB, 768x1024, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547402 No.547402 [Reply] [Original]

today i tried 3d moddeling for the first time , and i would like to hear your critic on it.
inb4 i made that on my ipad because no pc

>> No.547411

ass

>> No.547413

>>547402
Fuck me it's bad. Go look up the word topology then kill yourself.

>> No.547439

>>547402

Sculpting on the iPad or Android tablets is just something you play with as a toy. You'll never have enough polgons to make anything decent.

>> No.547470

>>547402
do people irl not have eyeballs?



File: 50 KB, 459x532, test11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547376 No.547376 [Reply] [Original]

Threw this together super fast in daz on a bet. Please let me know which one is closest to looking realistic, or how I can fix one really soon.

18 replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.547572

>>547565
I don't a good displacement map for the skin. I'm trying to do this for free, but I agree, the skin needs to be more "weathered" in a sense. I'll remove the shininess in Photoshop.

>> No.547584
File: 58 KB, 694x881, test11r.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547584

>>547549
Thank you, I was pretty happy with this one originally as well. Here's another in a nearly identical pose, but with the arms moved a bit. Note: I know the bikini is terrible. The only clothes I have are the things that daz comes with. I changed the textures but it still looks wrong.
Note #2: I think the muscle definition looks good, but a real life friend of mine says it looks too exaggerated.

>> No.547693
File: 153 KB, 1068x881, test11u.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547693

>>547486
#9

>> No.547711

>>547485
>you are hard-core in my face about something that means almost nothing.

OP asked for "cruel feedback". Why should anyone waste their time giving honest critic if the work "means almost nothing"?

Don't you see how that's insulting to both us and yourself? Get to work, faget.

>> No.547718
File: 163 KB, 995x674, test11w.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547718

>>547711
Oh, I don't know. Maybe because it actually IS important to people and they don't want to get their feelings hurt? And "faget" is not a word, btw.



File: 1.82 MB, 1613x907, HighresScreenshot00004.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547345 No.547345 [Reply] [Original]

I'm working on a senior thesis short film and I'm in need of help. I had 6 animators, 2 dropped off because of scheduling conflicts and now their integral scenes aren't being animated.

The whole project is 2:30 long and the 22 shots left over are only 1-3 seconds long each.

Where would be the best place to ask for help for collaboration, barring this place? I probably won't get help from here, although I do hope for some offers from some animators who want some portfolio work.

This is the current edit. A mix of animatic, blocking phase, final animation and final renders.

https://youtu.be/POtZlNFAS3Q

10 replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.547393

Its better to have 30 seconds of gold than 2:30 of absolute shit

>> No.547400

>>547393
This.

>> No.547405

>>547370

No really, there seriously bad decisions made there. Many of them. It comes across as moral error. Like that finger wiggling thing you did, you know what i mean. You knew that was fucked up and did it anyways. I doubt there is hope for you. Probably not.

>> No.547406

>>547405
he's also paying for this "education" senpai

>> No.547408

>>547393
>Its better to have 30 seconds of gold than 2:30 of absolute shit

This is what I came here to post.

Right now the choreography actively detracts from the project, even if the technical aspects are good (which are hard to gauge right now obviously since it's basically just animatics). Just copy a Bruce Lee fight or something of that nature, you don't have to make it chinese martial arts themed or anything, Cowboy Bebop copied a bruce lee fight scene and it's a sci fi space show



File: 248 KB, 599x800, 1 (33).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547335 No.547335 [Reply] [Original]

I want to play with high quality nude women. Does /3/ know of a good place to find these kinds of files?

Pornographic 3d modeling general?

9 replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.547597

>>547335
DAZ/Poser is the way to go.

I'd recommend Victoria 4 over Genesis or even later Victoria models because she has the most
products available (clothes, ready made characters etc) and best of all you can pirate the lot.

>> No.547685

>>547597
Maybe so but V4 looks like a goddamn blow up doll compared to Genesis 3.

>> No.547695 [DELETED] 
File: 1.85 MB, 1920x1920, eh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547695

>>547568
>at their lowest subdivision
nope
I untriangulated the mesh on the right with Cinema4D's shitty untriangulation tool, but they have essentially the exact same topology, discounting the heads.
Without untriangulating it, they are the exact same, but one is just made of tris. It's just easier to see when it's in quads, even if it's a bit inaccurate.
I don't know why lordaardvark decided to do the shit at the shoulders, but hey whatever.

>with shitty rigging (you can't actually import the original skinning since the source engine is very limited)
Source is limited to 3 bones affecting a single vertex. I skimmed over the genesis 3 weights, and the biggest loss would be a 1.7% weight around the hip area.
Are you really trying to hinge your argument on 1.7% of a weight?

I'd be the first person to argue that SMD and DMX are horrible formats, but because of the bone limit.
The program is a pain in the ass to port to because of Valve's retarded limitations, but that doesn't affect people who don't port, because the people that do port have found workarounds.
They split objects into bodygroups to bypass the poly limit, so you can have essentially as many polygons as your PC will load.

Which is why calling SFM models "low poly garbage models" as people like to do is extremely ignorant.

I don't even use the program anymore, but it's not a bad choice at all for what OP wants to do.

>> No.547696 [DELETED] 
File: 1.85 MB, 1920x1920, eh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547696

>>547568
>at their lowest subdivision
nope
I untriangulated the mesh on the right with Cinema4D's shitty untriangulation tool, but they have essentially the exact same topology, discounting the heads.
Without untriangulating it, they are the exact same, but one is just made of tris. It's just easier to see when it's in quads, even if it's a bit inaccurate.
I don't know why lordaardvark decided to do the shit at the shoulders, but hey whatever.

>with shitty rigging (you can't actually import the original skinning since the source engine is very limited)
Source is limited to 3 bones affecting a single vertex. I skimmed over the genesis 3 weights, and the biggest loss would be a 1.7% weight around the hip area.
Are you really trying to hinge your argument on 1.7% of a weight?

I'd be the first person to argue that SMD and DMX are horrible formats, but not because of the bone limit.
The program is a pain in the ass to port to because of Valve's retarded limitations, but that doesn't affect people who don't port, because the people that do port have found workarounds.
They split objects into bodygroups to bypass the poly limit, so you can have essentially as many polygons as your PC will load.

Which is why calling SFM models "low poly garbage models" as people like to do is extremely ignorant.

I don't even use the program anymore, but it's not a bad choice at all for what OP wants to do.

>> No.547697

>>547685
Yeah, don't use V4, genesis 3 by now has so much stuff for it



File: 545 KB, 758x852, notfuckingreal.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547292 No.547292 [Reply] [Original]

what is the key to a realistic looking model?

3 replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.547317

>>547292
having a talent.

>> No.547371

>>547292
having your eyes open while modeling?

>> No.547375

>>547317
having talent*

>> No.547500 [DELETED] 
File: 2.59 MB, 1080x1080, 1484233685563.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547500

weeew laddie

>> No.547614

>>547500
what species of animal is he fucking



File: 214 KB, 971x629, Weebshit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547281 No.547281 [Reply] [Original]

So i've been looking at ways of repairing models for overlapping vertices/faces/sub-meshes with particularly shitty weeb avatars,
Weighting is mainly problematic with colliding vertices/ bone deformities,
I could remodel this avatar, but i'm lazy
Any recommendations?

>> No.547298

>>547281
Since it looks like you're using Max,
Ctrl A > Weld > 0.01 threshold > Remove Isolated Vertices
That will merge any overlapping verts and delete stray ones.



File: 390 KB, 716x717, 1484098034845.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547259 No.547259 [Reply] [Original]

>current year + 2
>Not using master race modo

>> No.547261

>>547259
whats that? is that like a plugin?

>> No.547262

>>547261
>is modo a plugin

>> No.547325
File: 8 KB, 283x255, 1483628425132.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547325

>>547261
It's the beast.

>> No.547344

>>547259

Enjoy your verasimillious example of perfectedly uniform topological degeneracy if you ever take it out of modo.

>> No.547350

>>547259
isn't that a let's play conglomerate



File: 118 KB, 960x960, Artemis-Model-Texture-Reel-by-Sengjoon-Song-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
547196 No.547196 [Reply] [Original]

I always see /3/ shit on various 3D artists for being hacks, too plain, unskilled, etc.

This got me to wonder: what ARE artists you consider good? Anyone particularly skilled, or using techniques out of the ordinary.

15 replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.547431

The guy who did the models for the siege tanks in Starcraft 2. Guy is amazing.

>> No.547527

>>547431
his name is Vitaly Bulgarov

>> No.547530

>>547383
people who are unfamiliar with blender would say andrew is some kind of "master" or "guru" but he is simply just a good render artist and not anything beyond that.
the fact that he is advocating for downloading materials and textures for archviz purposes is already alarming. he can use procedurals for his entire texturing pipeline but that might make the videos longer. and his videos are quite long to start with.
blender procedural pipeline is not top notch by any means but for an artist that want to create unique patterns and textures its not fair to go hunt for textures online.

>> No.547531

>>547530
cont.

i can see why he would do that. he wants his subscribers keep coming back and be dependent on his materials and shaders, quite a business model he got. and i can't blame him for that.
archviz artists need fast solutions and it might work well for them

>> No.547547

>>547293
>ben bolton
isn't that the guy who makes his chamfers extra wide cause he doesn't know how to bake?



View post