[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vt/ - Virtual Youtubers

View post   

File: 19 KB, 2048x530, Hololive_logo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
72260633 No.72260633 [Reply] [Original]

>Talents have to give part of their earnings to Holo
>Talents have to pay for projects from their own pocket anyway
What is the money they give to holo used for then? They're paying just to use their brand

>> No.72262473
File: 3 KB, 125x125, 1709355213428108s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>72260633
shit b8 m8

>> No.72262702

>>72260633
>Talents have to pay for projects from their own pocket anyway
Polka(and likely others) have mentioned selling their songs to Hololive. So, while it's true that they pay out of pocket, they also own their projects; unless/until they decide to sell them to the company. Cover only has the power to turn them down. Which, personally, I think is fine. You are representing their brand so they should have the right to veto things that they feel will harm it. That is not to say that I agree with every cancelled project decision. Simply that the right is sensible in theory.
>What is the money they give to holo used for then?
Promotion, infrastructure(like the studio), major events(like HoloFes) and management. Especially the latter. Cover has a lot of talent managers.

Contrast that with something like Nijisanji; where the contract outright says they own everything you make and all rights are instantaneously transferred to them. While simultaneously offering no real support. I would say that's closer to a real franchise: They slap their branding on you and leave you to fend for yourself while they rake in the profits from people gullible enough to sign up.

>> No.72263069

>>72262702
They clearly don't own their projects as we have seen from graduations and terminations.

>> No.72263185

>>72263069
You are conflating projects with character. The woman behind Polka doesn't own "Polka", but she did own Hologram Circus until she sold it to Cover.

>> No.72263265

>>72263185
Nope, I'm talking about projects. Everything gets taken down if they graduate or get terminated.

>> No.72263560

>>72263265
Well, no shit. Cover owns the channel. There's a big difference between owning the rights to an IP(such as a song) and retaining the right to use it on someone else's platform. Although, for graduations, they allow you to keep your content up if you want. Retaining ownership of the IP would allow a former talent to, for example, re-upload the song on Spotify without it being taken down by Cover. Assuming that they didn't sell it before they were graduated/terminated.

>> No.72263695

>>72263560
You're not making any fucking sense. They do not own their projects. You've just dreamed up this magical scenario where Cover somehow doesn't own everything relating to their character IPs.

>> No.72263915

>>72263695
Watch streams. Polka outright told everyone that Hologram Circus wasn't on Spotify(at the time) because she was still negotiating distribution rights/royalties and trying to get them to buy the song from her. This was... maybe 3 years ago(?) if you want to dive into the archive.

>> No.72264171

>>72263915
You're going to have to source this. It sure is convenient that everyone just "sells" their projects to Cover even though Cover has literally no reason to buy anything from them.

>> No.72264737
File: 323 KB, 2333x999, Holgram Circus.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>72264171
The source was a member stream https://youtu.be/P_5dx-g6AxI so picrel is the best I can do. I recognize it isn't exactly the best evidence, so I won't argue the point if you choose not to believe it.

>> No.72265968

>>72260633
Cover gives vtubers the Hololive brand name along with constant marketing from a large corporation. The negative is Cover owns all the IP and talents are contract workers that own nothing.

>> No.72268013

>>72263069
They own rights to their music if it was originally funded by them and later not sold/given to Cover. Projects funded by Cover (e.g. song Rebellion by Advent girls) and various 3rd parties (e.g., HoneyWorks) are not owned by the talents. Someone like Mori could quit Hololive and release/perform all of her pre-UMG songs as another character (or RM), but not as Calliope Mori.
I was always under the impression that organs who left Nijisanji due to music-related rights were specifically unhappy because they, unlike holomem, never get to own their shit. Because of that, there are barely any original songs that were not funded by 3rd parties or Anycolor. In this regard Cover are actually really fair to their talents.
As to why anyone would sell their rights...Let's be honest here, if your song got 1-3M views in half a year, it's not exactly a hit, and even if you were later use it on your RM/PL account, you'd need to create another MV, which is unlikely to ever pay off. By selling their rights, they can essentially recuperate a good chunk of the money they've spent and reinvest it into another song/project. If I was Suisei or Calliope, I'd probably wouldn't sell my rights, but for every other talent that has no real music goals, it's the best course of action.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action