[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vt/ - Virtual Youtubers

View post   

File: 361 KB, 1503x989, 1603549368105.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
620291 No.620291 [Reply] [Original]

What do you define "dead air" as? I see people bring it up but I'm not sure what they mean. Personally I don't mind when someone shuts up for a few seconds to think or take in what they're playing. But if it's like, over 5-10 seconds and they keep doing it constantly I could see the problem

>> No.620328

>>620291
At the end of the day most people use livestreams as a background noise and radio show, so, there better be at least some sound going on.

>> No.620372

>>620291
Watch Iofi or Roboco

>> No.620375

>>620291
I think me and a lot of people can't stand APEX streams because there's moment where the streamer isn't saying anything of substance for minutes and just saying short statements about what they're seeing unfold in the game. Which I would define as dead air.

>> No.621076

>>620375
i really like apex streams for the gun sounds, its kinda relaxing, and its fun to have your ears destroyed but random scream of the streamer

>> No.623451

>>620291
You should differentiate dead air from silence.
Dead air is silence, whether short or long, that is unnerving and makes you feel that there's nothing really going and makes the viewer become aware of their surroundings, instead of being immersed by the viewing experience of carrying on their activities if they're using it as background noise.
There's good silence, short or extended, that may come from a moment of concentration, for example, or a natural pause to breathe and collect one's thoughts,wait for an answer, etc. Silence that anticipates or underlines action is good - specially if that action means progress (i.e. taking a few moments of silence while concentrating to overcome a difficult challenge in a game) as it may serve to draw the viewer attention, or give them time to process what you've said. If your atmosphere is calm, silence may even be comforting.
The opposite is also truth, absence of silence may be exhausting.
Meanwhile, dead air will make someone feel uncomfortable and to disconect from what you're doing. At best it'll make the viewer notice that nothing really is going on and maybe leave the video for the day, while at its worst it reminds the viewer they're wasting their time watching someone who's is boring outside of being a constant noise machine and leave forever. This is, for example, the bane of people who stream competitive games but aren't that good that the gameplay alone draws people in and aren't good conversationalists.

>> No.623485

>>620291
source or the original japanese word pls

>> No.623566

>>620291
I want to feed Polk's curry

>> No.624344

>>620291
i dont really blame vtubers for dead air since finding an interesting talking point every second of every stream can be difficult even though its a little unnerving to hear just... nothing but maybe a few clicks of the mouse and game noises for the majority of the time.

>> No.630874

>>623566
She's fat enough

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action