[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vt/ - Virtual Youtubers

View post   

File: 228 KB, 1170x780, WhatMakesAVtuber.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4716267 No.4716267 [Reply] [Original]

I made the first thread a few days ago at this point, and I was content to let it die. However it seems that the recent Calli Collab with an anituber has caused autism to flare like a firestorm across the catalog. Whether as a meme or as legit posting, I don't know or truly care.
This brings me to bring back the question, what makes a vtuber? The last thread culminated into the following list.
>1: Have a character of some sort.
Whether that character is a fully 3D character or a 2D PNG does not matter.
>2: That character must have some sort of personality to it that you need to play into.
How much that personality may blend with your IRL self does not matter, though a healthy mix should be used. It is also assumed that the personality of the character is related to some sort of lore. In short, keep up some level of kayfabe.
>3: Avoid as much IRL issues as possible.
By issues, it is assumed to mean things similar to the following; Racial Injustice, Gun Violence, Gender Politics. While these issues may be included here and there through stories, it is a best practice to avoid too much IRL issues. A vtuber is an entertainer selling a respite from the real world, too much bleed through ruins that. Each vtuber group / individual has a level they tend to keep to and it is not uniform.
>4: NEVER have connections to your IRL self.
This is a critical point that must never be broken. To have your IRL self interact with your vtuber self is a taboo worthy of ending your career. This causes the illusion to shatter, see rules 2 and 3 as for why that must be avoided. Autists figuring out roommate information is not applicable here, but as a note one should scuttle as much as they can if they wish to be a vtuber.
>5: Must Stream content on a somewhat regular basis.
A regular basis is different for each vtuber, but to be a vtuber one must produce live video content of some kind. Prerecorded content is fine to include alongside Livestreaming, but if you produce only Prerecorded content then you are not a vtuber but an anituber or something similar. If you don’t produce any video content, but still somehow apply to the previous rules, then you are a vtweeter or something similar.
>6: Brand yourself as a vtuber.
This one seems relatively simple, and obvious, but necessary. If you do not brand yourself as a vtuber, then you are not a vtuber. There are plenty of content creators that already meet the aforementioned rules, but they are not considered vtubers due to this rule. Of course this rule is here with the intention to be removed at some point, the hope is to have enough rules to define what a vtuber is that this one becomes redundant.
So Anon, what makes a vtuber to you?

>> No.4716794

don't care didn't read, stop trying to gatekeep the hobby you incel

>> No.4716835 [DELETED] 

I agree with everything except 5. Kizuna Ai and other OG Vtubers were on,y doing pre recorded content. In fact, one could argue that it's the purest form of Vtubing.

>> No.4716916
File: 275 KB, 680x763, 8123.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4716794
NO

>> No.4716925

the current vtuber just needs an avatar and some stream. Old vtubers actually had to make videos. The anonymity and pretend character shit is optional. Anyone that argues this is some tribal gatekeeper that doesnt respect/know about older vtubers

>> No.4716987

>>4716794
Okay thanks for the tip.

>>4716835
I have an issue with 5 as well but at the same time I think modern vtubing is so filled with livestream content that to ignore that element is too much. Kizuna Ai and other oldies will not conform but I doubt anyone can make a serious case against them being vtubers.

>> No.4717001

It's really not that complicated. Vtuber = Virtual Youtuber. The content they put out has no bearing. A vtuber can be political and never do livestreams.

>> No.4717073

>>4716267
>I don’t know or truly care about muh Mori
Yes you do.
Also vtubing = having an avatar and streaming, simple. No need for a long ass post about it

>> No.4717097

>>4716925
I get what you're saying, however that doesn't hold up too well. For example that would mean someone like pokimane could be considered a vtuber.

>> No.4717144

>>4717073
Not everyone is into whatever schizo drama is going on now anon, even moreso when everyone knows the schizos on this board will jump to a new target asap. Take a lot at the whole "pity subs" thing with Kiara literally two days ago. No mention.

>> No.4717198

>>4716267
>4
Tamaki, Kizuna aren't vtubers?
>5
pre-2018 vtubers are not vtubers?
>6
Virtual Idols are not vtubers?

>> No.4717226

>>4716794
>incel
I still fail to grasp how people can even consider this an insult of any kind.

>> No.4717280

>>4717226
>involuntary

>> No.4717417

>>4717198
Pointing out 6 and then not reading the fact it's not meant to stay a permanent rule, retardchama.
As for 4, Tamazuki and Kizuna posted their face and shit like that to their accounts? Subaru saying "oh my voice is fucked cause I have an extra bone" does not qualify for 4.
5, read the thread

>> No.4717449

>>4716267
>>4: NEVER have connections to your IRL self.
this is dumb.

>> No.4717485

ITT: I realize most of /vt/ can't read

>> No.4717559 [DELETED] 

Anyone who isn't Japanese or with a Japanese company is not a Vtuber in my eyes.

>> No.4717617

What a silly discussion. A vtuber is someone that live streams or posts videos with a 3D or 2D character that has motion capture rigging. Anything else is arbitrary shit.

>> No.4717629

Any Vtuber who isn't Japanese or with a Japanese company is not a Vtuber in my eyes.

>> No.4717767

>>4716267
Shut the FUCK up, cunt

>> No.4717982

>>4717449
Yeah >4 is kinda vague, since there's tamaki, Ai, and Nana did a face reveal. But again they said themselves for viewers and fans to separare the two

>> No.4718150

>>4717982
you can definitely separate the two if you've seen their face whether voluntarily or not, as long as you're mentally strong
i've seen my oshi's face and it hasn't changed anything

>> No.4718611

This is literally some idiot trying to change the definition of vtuber to just hololive shit

>> No.4718641

>>4716267
idk but I wanna fr*ck Ai someone post Ai lewds

>> No.4718769

>>4718611
holofags are retarded, news at 10

>> No.4718914

>>4716267
#1. Female Anime Avatar
#2. See #1.

>> No.4719352

>>4717417
>Tamazuki and Kizuna posted their face and shit like that to their accounts?
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQCkmU-ZmY
>https://twitter.com/aichan_nel/status/1253660164961361925
>5, read the thread
Then rephrase the rule. And anyway, making a division between pre-recorded and streams is just stupid.
>6
Just nitpicking, at least expand it for now.
Also
>A vtuber is an entertainer selling a respite from the real world
Just like any media but it doesn't mean that it limits their scope of themes.
>a 2D PNG
Give examples of PNGtubers that are considered to be vtubers and have at least some importance. Feels stange to separate vtweeters and livestreams from videos but not this.

>> No.4719461

>>4716267
Good thread, I've been thinking about this topic as well as I want to turn my autism into a comprehensive analysis paper about the history of vtubing.

These are my notes so far:
- a content creator who uses an avatar that is rigged to motion capture software for their content in the form of online videos or streams
- Playing a character
- Definition has morphed to something more along the lines of “vstreamer”
- Descended from Kizuna Ai, this is to keep out things like George Floyd Gaming and Thinknoodles, and yes I understand that there are many forerunners before Ai but I feel like this must be stated

>> No.4719569

>>4719352
>Give examples of PNGtubers that are considered to be vtubers and have at least some importance.

Nijisanji's Fumino Tamaki

>> No.4719650

>>4719569
She has several 2d models and a 3d. She even uses them sometimes. I mean someone who only has a png.

>> No.4719870

>>4719650
nqrse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7yKC3ecZ-s

>> No.4720061

>>4719352
For 4, instead of saying "never" would you suggest changing it to "almost never"? A Vtuber that shows their face constantly seems just as strange as an anime VA constantly showing their face in an anime.
As for 5, there is a division though. It has to do with chat interaction which has become heavily expected in the modern vtuber enviroment.
The 2D PNG doesn't gave any importance, but it's still an avatar. I can give an example but I'll be banned so I can't. Tranny Jannys espcially hate this one being mentioned.
And I wouldn't say it's limiting the scope of themes, you can still mention it. The rule is "as much as possible", if your whole theme is talking about social issues then "as much as possible" is 0. However, if you want to be an idol vtuber then it makes no sense to really mention it.

>> No.4720292

>>4719461
I believe in the autism that you believe in anon.
And I would heavily agree with the fact most current vtubers are descended from what Ai did. There are others who started around her, but she became the defining character of early vtubers. At the least I remember a lot of copycats of her poping up and trying to copy her behavior.

>> No.4720658

>>4720292
I had a thread the other day on Thinknoodles and how he was technically a vtuber (and the most subbed to one at that) and no one could really come up with an argument against that so I decided Ai had to be the start point for the definition

>> No.4721081

>>4720658
Another example is people saying Annoying Orange is a vtuber. I don't know how you can exactly claim a vtuber is descended from Ai however. For example, VOMs are not visually similar to Ai. Given Ai's career I'm sure there is some overlap that you can work off of, but I don't know how you would make a claim. Not to shill my own work onto yours, but maybe come up with rules about Ai and see how well it holds up?

>> No.4721335

>>4720658
Ai coined it and the phrase on its own is dumb. Her character was an a.i. youtuber that existed in virtual space. Japan just normalized it as anime avatar content creator

>> No.4721643

>>4721081
per my rules Annoying Orange is not a vtuber due to not being rigged to motion capture, my thoughts on "descent" is that as you already mentioned, they use the vtuber name, but also I feel like some aspect of Japanese-ness must be included such as an anime avatar or idol culture

with Japanese-ness, I acknowledge that is a clunky term, but a good analogy is how an American comic is not manga

>> No.4721948

>>4721643
I will give a fair warning now, I would suggest avoiding idol culture as a basis of vtubing. Only since a good chunk of vtubers don't meet the requirements, including at least 10 girls from Hololive (despite them being an idol group in theory but have switched over to being an entertainment company instead in practice). An anime avatar is a good start, though even that has many different variations as for what counts as "anime". For example, mecha is a genre of anime but would that be included for vtubers? Hard to say. But clearly it's a way to separate if done right. Like you said, American comics are not manga.

>> No.4722141

>>4721948
yeah "idol" never was a good indicator, just giving an example

and yeah the best example is vtubers like Gorilla who no one would question is a vtuber despite having nothing to do with anime, but how else are we going to keep glorified tech demos like Ai Angel out of the equation, very hard questions to answer

>> No.4725984

bump

>> No.4727575
File: 554 KB, 1277x719, substance.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4727607
File: 364 KB, 1000x800, 1612034600980.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4716267
Annoying Orange is a vtuber no matter how much you don't like it

>> No.4727672

>>4716267
>>4: NEVER have connections to your IRL self.
Temako...

>> No.4727695

>>4716267
>but to be a vtuber one must produce live video content of some kind
>he says while posting Kizuna Ai who for a very long time didn't stream

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action