[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vt/ - Virtual Youtubers

View post   

File: 102 KB, 1024x576, Hololive-Editorial-1024x576.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12957056 No.12957056 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here actually learned Japanese to make the glorious transition to JP? How long did it take you to comprehend?

>> No.12957155

>How long did it take you to comprehend?
1 stream (16 years watching anime and 2 week jp reps)
>Also
You are dumb if you watch ENTrash

>> No.12960578

>>12957056
>Anyone here actually learned Japanese to make the glorious transition to JP?
No, why would I when I have EN and Spanish vtubers?

>> No.12960583

>>12957056
No need when HoloEN exists

>> No.12960606

I started trying to learn hiranga a couple months ago but I haven't been disciplined enough to continue

>> No.12960682

give it up, eop monkey. watching vtubers in japnaese is actually super fun. its one of the best entertainment in the modern world. no anglo woke bullshit. no chink pandering. full of cultured talks and contents but its so fucking hard for you to master japanese.

>> No.12961106

Doing my reps for 6 months now but actually understanding speech properly and not just bits and pieces is one of the hardest things to do. Thought I'd get a better understanding by reading but it's a pain in the ass too because of the multitude of kanjis. Kinda annoying how many barriers this language actually has to learn properly.

>> No.12961560

>>12961106
Just do Remembering the Kanji - it's a grind, and it's not perfect but it's worth it.
>https://files.catbox.moe/05lr24.pdf
>https://kanji.koohii.com/
You get to know the kanji, a base-meaning for each one an then you just can get the reading from vocab later.

The e-celeb chasers shit on it, but it fucking works

>> No.12964634

>>12957056
no

>> No.12965039

>>12957056
Nah vtubing as a platform is flourishing in my country so I don't need to watch JP chuubas

>> No.12965350
File: 1.80 MB, 1400x2000, 1635621832220.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12961106
>Kinda annoying how many barriers this language actually has to learn properly.
There's a reason why it's listed as probably the hardest language to learn for English speakers. But just keep going, because the fact is you know more now than you did 6 months ago, or even 2 months ago. Also, don't listen to people who say it's easy because all that will do is make you feel like shit for not progressing at an abnormally fast pace. The grammar eventually all falls into place and the kanji will always take a long time (Remember, japs get 12 years to learn to study them and not a couple of months in anki).

>> No.12965597

I don't have the time/motivation. After work I have maybe 1 hour of actual productivity left, and I usually spend it trying to study to get a new job before I start vegging out. I learned the kana, but that's as far as I got since I'm too retarded to learn more than English and conversational Spanish

>> No.12965758
File: 740 KB, 1068x561, 1633097470454.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12957056
I'm trying, memorized Hiragana and most of Katakana and starting on Sentence structure and Kanji.
I will get there eventually, and for now JP streams will just be white noise with the occasional English Phrase

>> No.12967654

>>12957155
Why is it that people feel the most confident lying about language learning

>> No.12969867

>>12957056
>transition to JP
Imagine not starting from JP lmao, what are you, a newfag?
With 6 years of anime watching and 3 months of kata/hiragana reps you'd be able to understand streams at a basic level. Hell I started with Miko and never had a problem (chat tls were useful too tho).
With N4 level grammar you'll be able to understand more, if you have the vocabulary for it, and you'll begin to be able to at least check if the translation Google and deepl gives you when you're trying to tweet/comment/SC something in Japanese is wrong.
Using any Anki deck that has the basic 2k kanji, at a rate of 10 words a day (note: some decks are double sided, ie have the same word twice, for meaning/drawing practice, so you may need 20 new cards a day to get 10 words), you can cover all the necessary kanji in uncer a year with about 1-2h of studying daily. The deck I'm using has 3.5k kanji in it so it'll take me a year to complete. I'm at about 1.2k currently, restarted in July after dropping it for a year.
Along the kanji deck it's recommended to get a vocab deck as well, as the kanjis by themselves aren't all-inclusive, and different readings and combinations may have unexpected meanings.
Some people claim that learning grammar should take priority ove rkanji, but how are you supposed to read, write or understand anything if you don't have the verb, noun and adjective vocab you learn from kanji? Sure, that might be a good way to pass the JLPT exams, since they write furigana over some kanji, but that won't work when watching streams.

>tl;dr
With daily kanji/grammar/vocab/listening reps, about a year.

>> No.12970180

>>12957155
by 16 years you mean over 140000 hours of anime content? that's amazing!

>> No.12970848

I can understand it, but I just can't relate at all to the jp vtubers on a cultural level. At least with english vtubers they played the same games I did, know the same memes and slangs, and overall I find it a more enjoyable experience.

>> No.12971176
File: 332 KB, 1080x1246, 1634605686641.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i will never learn japanese.

>> No.12971209

>>12957056
Literally too autistic to learn non Romance languages.

>> No.12971640

How long does learning japanese take? Like to be able to generally understand speech and read? I understand it will be hard but i kinda dont wanna start if i will be 40 by the time i learn.

>> No.12972123

>>12971640
>>12970180
>mean over 140000 hours of anime content? that's amazing!
why I lost my time like this?... Im a fucking neet
>>12971640
>How long does learning japanese take?
Really quick 8 month
Normal 3 years
>Like to be able to generally understand speech and read?
This can be quick if you listing and read daily. I say in 1 mounth

>> No.12972766

>>12957056
>How long did it take you to comprehend?
I do not know. My mom is from Japan and I started learning japanese as a child.
Also my father is from Korea and I know a little korean.

>> No.12973750

>>12957056
Yes. Took me one month to understand 60%, like 5 months to get to 90%, 9 months to get to 95%, and now after a year and a half I can understand 99.9% of what comes up in any normal context of livestreams, twitter, 5ch, and most high-school level texts (college stuff if the terms are just ones I already know katakana plagiarized or directly translated from english or a european langauge). For reference I put a like week's amount of effort into studying before Vtubers of reading tim kae's guide (which sucks) and doing like some n5 vocab.
I originally thought I would watch vtubers to learn japanese as studying practice after seeing them in translated clips. During that time, I was studying the "proper" way, I decided I would read all of imabi and do flash cards. I got through like half the lessons and 2000 words before I realized - wait, I just learn better from watching livestreams for 8 hours a day and not actually studying. I switched to using Japanese dictionaries for every word I came across that I didn't know, writing the sentence of the Hololive member that used it, no flash cards (as a last life resort I search 英語) or grammar dictionaries in English cuz fuck that, use Japanese wikitionary or Japanese sources, read my oshi's twitter and understand and copy everything they say, became read all of hololive's twitter and understand and copy everything they say, to copy at least 500 of the replies to my oshi's tweets to understand and stalk what the other fandeads are saying about Rushia, obsessively replay every single sentence I didn't catch from my oshi's mouth to make sure I know every single word she said, watch tons of other hololive streams every single walking second of the day as well to understand more of my oshi, read 5ch threads, reading japanese wikipedia and copying each page I read of all the science/math stuff I know as a current undergrad I already know in English, started reading japanese 青空 library and copying each novel I read, I have a journal filled of my oshi's tweets written prettily, I relisten to my oshi, I play my video games in Japanese now, I read the news in Japanese, I think in Japanese, and most importantly I watch streams every single hour of the day I can, and always have JP streams on the background even while I'm writing this. At a certain point, watching and understanding just one stream got boring, so I did multiple windows of at least 3 windows to train my ears to be able to parse multiple japanese conversations at the same time, so that I never will miss a word Rushia says when she's in a large collab with a bunch of people talking, I need to know everything she says, I obsess over her, she is my life, I thought I was going to watch Hololive to learn japanese but it turns out I ended up learning Japanese to watch my one and only love I love you Rushia every single second of my day is dedicated to you.

>> No.12973888

>>12973750
>Rushia
Gross, but at least it's not Shion.

>> No.12974070

>>12957056
>>12957155
YWNBJ
>>12971176
Based

Don't learn a dead impossibly hard language just to watch some streamers who use it.

>> No.12974109

I've generally preferred JP vtubers from the start regardless of the fact I couldn't understand them. I've been trying to learn properly for about a year now and am still not great at understanding it spoken but I can read it without too much difficulty so long as I can look up the kanji I don't know. Give it another year and I'll probably be capable of understanding most of what they're saying

>> No.12974239

>>12957056
I started around 1 month ago with 8 new cards a day. I'm currently at around 100 matured cards. I haven't tried reading any books but I'm able to understand a couple of tweets and stream titles sometimes. Hearing is pretty difficult but I mostly watch Chii-chan and her JP is extremely easy for me to understand since she barely talks and has been collabing with English speakers.

>> No.12975040

>>12973750
This turned from motivational to somewhat creepy. Also, I don't get how you would learn more from watching a stream. Just the concept of immersion in play with streams?

>> No.12975286

>>12957155
I'm not convinced you know any Japanese, anon. Your anime knowledge doesn't equate to knowledge of Japanese, two weeks would likely not be enough. Stop larping poorly on an anonymous image board, retarded NEET.

>> No.12976186

I will take classes once I’m out of uni but until then learning by myself is to tedious

>> No.12976608

I'm settling for simply learning how to read Japanese. It's taken considerably less time than I expected because at that point I could just plug certain phrases into a translator and get a rough estimate of what I'm reading and/or hearing

>> No.12977843

>>12957155
Imagine trying to be Japanese and realize your skin does not match your webness.

>> No.12977894

>>12973750
Imagine knowing that Rushia only acknowledges you with your SCs

>> No.12978057

>Glorious transtion
My ass. I will never learn it. But that still won't stop me from enjoying their reactions. I am content with that.

>> No.12984752

>>12973750
That's an impressive regimen. How's your spoken Japanese?

>> No.12991295

>>12957056
Took JP courses for 3 years in college. Barely used it for 2-3 years and then discovered hololive in the tail end of 2019 (Azurlane collab). Tomboy designs make me diamonds, so I started watching Subaru and Okayu. Still took me a few weeks of constantly watching their streams to be able to understand most of what they were saying. I still need to look up a few words or phrases every once in a while.

My speaking Japanese is shit, I can only read comments and comprehend what is being said

>> No.12991495

I'm retarded and can't learn alone, plus if I could take classes they need to be in-person because I think you need speaking practice with other people face to face. I tried learning some kanjis and stroke order, and grammar, downloaded a textbook and apps, then realized I was learning it wrong and picked up really bad habits so I stopped.
I don't know where to take in person Japanese classes.
When I watch some streams, I can pick up vocabulary but I'm not going to say I understand everything completely, in the slightest.

>> No.12991608

I am Japanese learning English to understand better Watchama

>> No.12995858

>>12984752
Fucking garbage in comparison, I primarily shadow repeating everything Izuru says in his streams because I really like his voice but I still sound off. Like not Calli levels of bad but still obviously an American. I also shadow the other members, typically the stars, because because Izuru doesn't stream enough. However, I don't feel too bad, because my English to be honest also sounds off to the point as a child I was taken to speech therapy classes despite being a native English speaker born in America my whole life with fluent English speaking parents (albeit they were Europeans), so I think I just suck at talking properly in general. I mean I do practice and use this site excessively for pitch accent http://www.gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/.. Personally, when I learnt German my ability to speak improved vastly after an exchange trip there, so I'm thinking of moving to Japan after my undergrad degree ends (or at least am planning on applying for a grad degree there). No idea how things will turn out though.

>>12975040
Immersion is so much better as a studying method compared to traditional methods. Essentially there are two problems to traditional studying: the first enemy is English, the sooner you eliminate your native tongue out of the equation the better, thinking in Japanese and understanding Japanese explanations for things goes a lot quicker. The second problem is with traditional "studying" is that you spend a lot of time learning things that you aren't immediately applying and don't immediately see in the wild. You can learn 誹謗中傷 in some study card and wonder when the fuck do you ever talk about defamation/slander, and lose it. It's infinitely harder for it to stick. You hear retards on 5ch replying with slander to people saying Towa's voice sucks and it sticks in your head, it becomes something with an application that you've seen. It's easier to spend more time for looking for things in context, then learning them devoid of context, devoid of context is a waste of time mostly, because you don't really get good mmeory of it or it's nuance in usage until you come across it actually being used by people in context anyway. Might as well cut out the middle man of study cards and just dive into the language as much as possible to learn as much as you can. If after a year or two you haven't heard word from 8 hours of Japanese a day, the word can't be that fuckin' important (outside of technical/literary spheres). It also accustoms you to being able to guess words meaning from context and getting used to just needing to hear a word a few times to memorize it forever, while a flashcard trains you to become dependent on reviewing flashcards to memorize. I'd rather hear カキタレonce in the wild and memorize it there then create a flash card about it. Pure immersion trains you for that.
Also it's not creepy it's love.

>> No.12996188

>>12995858
I agree with the immersion. That goes for everything in life. I know 4 languages to some extent, fluent in 2, very good in one and 'I can understand what you're saying just don't make me talk' in the last. And truly learning things that are immediately applicable works WONDERS.
I remember several years ago when I was still a scrub at programming, because you learn things in a vacuum. I only really good got at it when I started working because you learn things that are applicable and you see it's effect immediately.

>> No.12996192

>>12957056
still learning. I know about 350 kanji and 600 vocab so far, and speak only simple sentences if I only use grammar I'm 100% sure on

>> No.13002057

>>12957056
What trips up the most is engrish. Fuck that shit it doesnt sound like japanese or english

>> No.13005459

>>12957056
I'll start doing my reps next year, too busy rn

>> No.13006837

>>12957056
1547 matured cards and 1862 suspended (learned enough to recognize reliably) cards, working through the tail end of N3.

Still don't know what the fuck they're saying lmao

>> No.13007763

>>12957056
I did start learning it seriously because of vtubers. I started watching the JP streams and i realized that i could unnderstand a shocking amount of what they were saying just from the knowledge i've picked up trough media. Which i guess isn't THAT weird, considering how that's how i learned English in the first place. So i started doing my reps every day, and using the streams (that i was already watching) as listening practice. Its a win-win situation, really. Plus i do find learning a new language fun. I've been doing my reps for almost a year, and i know around 500-ish kanji.

>> No.13011260

>>12957056
I tried and gave up. It's hard.

>> No.13011339

>>12957056
I'm from JP transitioning to EN
JP jokes suck

>> No.13013625

>>12957056
Most i've learned is hiragana and basic introduction stuff. Never started on katakana/kanji yet. Might start doing my reps again

>> No.13014437

>>13007763
500 kanji is quite impressed. You are basically almost done with almost all N3 kanji

>> No.13014547

>>13011339
It's the same with every language, we get tired of it eventually. Also we see with better eyes another languages, because they are new and exotic. Its like if we were children when we are learning another language. In my native language I am usually really high demanding with the way of communicating that other people have, that's why I don't follow any latin or Spanish chuuba. I know at the bottom of my heard that the vtubers I enjoy are neither that good

>> No.13014588

>>12995858
Start shadowing Kanda Shoichi from Nijisanji. He speaks incredibly clearly and normally, to the point where autoCC is quite accurate for him, AND he does speaking lesson streams if you don't want to be endlessly repeating random games/topics you don't care about. You need to shadow someone with adult working class Japanese and not country tilt/too much slang, though Izuru is also a clear speaker, he sometimes slurs the words together and that's not a good habit to pick up unless you're already pretty fluent.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action