[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 217 KB, 1024x1024, WAH.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9996641 No.9996641 [Reply] [Original]

I now understand why someone wrote an entire book on Wario Land. I think this franchise beats out Kirby in terms of being perfect to hand to your child to teach them what a video game actually is, no pits, no game overs, no damage, all enemies are just minor setbacks that do something funny that can even help you. They have the space they need to explore and figure shit out.
Anyone have any other recommendations for literal, actual Babby's First Vidya? I reckon the next move is the GBA Kanto remakes and some PS1 educational games (I got my toddler a cheap Anbernic and can only go up to PS1.)
I love this fat stinky nigga like you wouldn't believe. TYBW

>> No.9996796

>>9996641
Wind Waker is baby's first adventure game. There's no easier game in history.

>> No.9996987

>>9996641
honestly there isn't a lot of baby accessible vidya out there with enough substance to be good entertainment. never thought of WL3 that way but it really seems like the perfect fit.
would rhythm heaven be too skill demanding to be considered it? honestly the DS and WII have good libraries of that when you think about it

>> No.9997104

Last time I played it was when I was a child, but didn't the boss fights have actual "game overs" if you failed.

>> No.9997113

I don't think OP got past the first few levels.

Even if you can't die, Wario Land 3 is absolutely infuriating. Take one hit, fall off the entire screen, sometimes even get pushed back several screens, takes several minutes to get back. The punishments are often way worse than if it had HP and lives.

>> No.9997268

I played Wario Land 3 a lot as a kid but I could never get very far. There's a lot of puzzles and backtracking that's asking a lot of some kid to figure out. 100%ing the game is just insane, it never ends.

>> No.9997284

>>9997113
This. I actually threw my copy away as a young lad in sheer disgust after being filtered by some mosquito motherfucker.

>> No.9997301

>>9996987
My first memories of videogames were sonic and zamn on genesis when I was 3, then at 5 I remember beating my older brother and sister in a tournament on who could beat smb with the least deaths and I fucking wiped the floor with them. Don't treat your toddlers like idiots they are learning the most at this time. Make them think and learn and lose, this will help them way more than just giving them "baby's first game" I still enjoyed putt putt at the same time as beating smb.

>> No.9998867

I have a 3 yr old and we play a bunch of emulated stuff on Wii.

On the SNES emulator, you can set it up so he moves a character with the nunchuk and you push buttons with the wiimote, or vice versa. TMNT arcade games, Kirby, and Mario Kart have been his favorites with this setup.

He likes just walking around in Mario 64/Mario Sunshine. Ultimate Spider man for GameCube has easy controls to swing around without getting hurt.

And then for non retro, Mario Baseball for Wii has been perfect because there are zero buttons to push, just wave the controller however you want to pitch and hit. He can't handle moving and pressing buttons with any coordination yet, so Wii gimmick games are really our best bet.

Parenting tip: make them work for it. My kid has to do a lot of shit right throughout the day to earn his daily 20 minutes of Wii.

>> No.9999715

>>9997104
I think the final boss did, but most of the time it just threw you out of the boss room and you had to make your way back.

>> No.9999759

>>9997104
>>9999715
Yeah, only the final boss.