[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 11 KB, 300x315, PS1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
995902 No.995902 [Reply] [Original]

Name 3 of your favorite PS1 games, share at least one memory you have of the third one.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver,
Monster Rancher 2
Blast Chamber

>Playing Blast Chamber and rotating the chamber for the first time, always remember how tense things felt doing that first time, and how crazy the matches got later, playing with others.

>> No.995996

Future Cop: LAPD
Fighting Force
Gran Turismo

>Buying a really crap Nissan Silvia Js or something as my first car, not being able to win the sunday cup or pass any license tests and having to ask my dad to help/teach me about racing at about 7 years old. Now I can gold licenses on any of the games with relative ease and I'm studying automotive engineering. Thanks, Kaz

>> No.996004

Spyro 2
Ape Escape
Spider-Man

>Doc Ock/Carnage hybrid ending level being stressful and scary as shit

>> No.996007
File: 69 KB, 640x480, 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>995996
>OP here
Who says viday-gurps can't help you in real life?

I can say at the tender age of about 9 or 10 when Soul Reaver came out, I started learning a whole plethora of new words, like "Avenge" and "Cataclysm". Expanding vocabularies and all that good shit.

>> No.996014

Final Fantasy Tactics
Chrono Cross
Metal Gear Solid

I got to open one present early the Christmas of '98. I really wanted it to be MGS after getting super hyped over it from PSM Magazine's feature earlier in the year. There were multiple packages it could've been. I had to choose one at random. I chose correctly.

>> No.996019
File: 955 KB, 350x175, 1376433765295.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>996004
>OP here again
HOLY FUCK YES THAT WAS AWESOME AND TERRIFYING!

>MFW BEING CHASED

>> No.996018

>>996007
One of the things that inspired me to learn how to read in the first place was FF1 when I was like 3-4 years old.

>> No.996026

>>996018
>OP here
When I was younger my father both supported my love and interest in video-games, along with books. When I had issues reading around the 7-8 years old range, he had me read Issac Asimov's work, and books on ancient myths and legends.

>> No.996031

>>996019
You can change your name to OP and even use a temporary trip if need be, just saying.

>> No.996034
File: 18 KB, 373x280, Persona-2-Hitler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I haven't played a ton of PS1 games but

Xenogears
Persona 2 Innocent Sin
Pocket Fighter

>Killing Hitler in 1 fusion attack by Lucifer and Satan

>> No.996054
File: 28 KB, 649x428, jenova eating kracko jr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MegaMan Legends 2
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Galerians

Playing the game at 12 everything in the hospital stage terrified me.

>that low hum in nearly every hallway
>those cutscenes from scanning the testing equipment
>suddenly robots charging me

2000 was a hell of a year

>> No.996071
File: 1.04 MB, 289x373, 1374343660117.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>996054
STOOPID KID GET OUTTA THA SKREET

>> No.996076

>>996034
>pocket fighter

so god damn fun.

>> No.996095

I just finished soldering a modchip into my ps1, and I'm going to download and burn all the games in this thread. (A few weeks back frys had some black bottom cdrs too )

>> No.996140

>>995902
>Monster Rancher 2

My fellow of color!

As for my faves, in no particular order I'd have to say the Armored Cores (the PSX sequels were really more like supplemental content to the first game), N20: Nitrous Oxide, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

>> No.996154

>>996140
MAH NIGGAH, I'm a huge armored core fan, have all of the games, grew up hooked on them when they first came out, finding and buying copies to replace the PS ones I lost filled a void in my child-hood

>> No.996427

Bloody Roar
Tekken 3
Soul Blade

>My fav character was Siegfried
>I spammed the triangle button like no tomorrow
>I was the undefeated champ between me and my bro at the time

Damn, I really need to get myself another copy of that game.

>> No.996456
File: 1.92 MB, 800x591, your new god.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wild Arms
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics

Memory? Well... this guy, right here. FFT was a game that kicked my ass at regular intervals. I remember just barely scraping by in a ton of battles - the Gafgarion fight, the Elmdor fight, ESPECIALLY the Wiegraf fight... but when I got Orlandu everything died in an instant.

Looking back, I think he was hilariously unbalanced, but as a kid who was dead tired of getting his ass kicked by the game, he was my Messiah.

Also I'm going to post the Wild Arms opening because this opening was the shit and sometimes I would turn on my PS1 just to hear it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVOFibwVMw0

>> No.996474

CTR
Wild Arms 2
Arcade Party Pak

I gots memories for all of them.

When I first learned how to chain powerslide boosts in CTR and started taking all those shortcuts. Man, that was something.

Or the first time I got to use Knight Blazer in WA2. That flowing scarf, that battle theme, that fuckin' Banisher.

And Arcade Party Pak I got for Christmas one year, probably because my mom saw Rampage on the cover, but I spent most of my time playing Smash TV, Klax, and Toobin'. Especially Smash TV. Fuckin' love that game.

>> No.996475

Front Mission 3
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy 9

>Get to a new area with an awesome track playing in it
>Find my tape recorder
>Let Zidane stand there without moving
>Record the songs
>Listen to them while reading/doing homework

Oh the evenings spent listening to the Terra theme in shitty quality while doing something else.

>> No.996483

>>995902
>>996140

Oh shit, I found my MR2 copy in my old closet at my parents' house the other day.

That, and I found my long-lost copy of Battletoads.

>> No.996503

>>996427
>Soul Blade
I've got the arcade version and it's fucking awesome. Bonus points for it just being a PlayStation and a bunch of ROM mounted on a JAMMA I/O board.

>> No.997013

>>995902
Wild Arms 2nd Ignition
Jade Cocoon
Klonoa: Door to the Phantomile

That heart crushing ending. I really want more adorable kids games that end in tragedy.

>>996474
>WA2
You. You a pretty rad dude.
>>996140
>>995902
>MR2
And you two, hell yeah Monster Rancher.

>> No.997052

Final Fantasy 9
Chrono Cross
Suikoden II

>Suikoden II is one of the games I'll never get tired of playing again and again. I remembered when Nanami dies and I was so frustrated with it. Only years later I learned about the true ending. Thank God.

>> No.997061
File: 58 KB, 481x349, 1275021169078.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Final Fantasy VIII
Crash Team Racing
Gran Turismo

>Have 99% completed the game: gold medals in every race except one
>that race is the longest undurance race that lasts like 4/5 Hours
>One afternoon I decide to go for it
>remain in the first position for the entire time
>last lap, 200 meters before the end another car overtakes me and I finish 2nd
>My face during a good 30 seconds
>quickly get up
>turn off the console
>go outside
>never play the game again

>> No.997313

>>995902
Die Hard Trilogy
Die Hard Trilogy
Die Hard Trilogy

>> No.997492

cool boarders 3
test drive 5
tomb raider last revelation

>I was in 9th/10th grade I think, there were only a couple things I really wanted for Christmas and I got them both: Eiffel 65 - Europop; Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation. I think it is my favorite Tomb Raider game, I spent pretty much the rest of Christmas break playing it

>> No.997534

Tomb Raider
Azure Dreams
FF7
>Still remember the hype I had for FF7, a whole year of anxiously waiting for it's release, I had only played VI, but was pretty much fanboy for Squaresoft, and everything about this promised to be amazing. I was not disappointed. That first day of playing and exploring Midgar and those cinematics. Never have I been so much in awe by a game. The leap (at the time) was just gigantic.

>> No.997619

>>995902

FF7
Tekken 3
Crash Team Racing

>No one ever beat me on Crash Team Racing. True story.

>> No.997629

>>997619
>tekken 3
so much butthurt in my household because of that game it was great.

>> No.997657

>>997534
>Azure dreams

MAH NIGGA I LOVE THAT GAME

but for my top 3...

Legend of Mana
Wild Arms 2
Xenogears

>> No.997665

>Einhänder
>Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
>Ghost in the Shell

My dad used to play GitS with my brother and I when we were really young. We would take turns. My dad could never do the 3rd level, where you have to find those bombs and you're timed. Once I beat that level, I gloated to him about it for days.

>> No.997675

>>997619

I wish I could race you in CTR. I win every single match against every single person I ever play against, every time. Nobody wants to play it with me anymore, and people groan when I bring it up.

>> No.997679

>>997675
>>997619
Same here. We should set up some emulator netplay sometimes... except that I have a shitty connection and I live in europe.

>> No.997740

Kagero: Deception 2
>weeks of fun testing out different trap combos and laughing at the more over-the-top deaths

Evil Zone
>excellent presentation and graphics (for its time), love the rock/paper/scissors mechanics, it's awesome hearing Duke Nukem's voice coming out of a Power Ranger

Bushido Blade
>very unique gameplay, multiplayer still holds up to this day, one of the few games that genuinely rewards patience and strategy because you can't even beat story mode if you fight dishonorably

>> No.997762

T.R.A.G.
Jackie Chan Stuntmaster
Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman

>Rising Zan is a game that should never have made the leap to America, but I'm so glad it did. Solid hack n' slash, fun shooting, and one of the most bizarre and hilarious games I've ever seen.

>> No.998070

Armored Core
Ape Escape
Rally Cross

I learned how to drive stick playing this and other racing games that let you use a button as the clutch. My first car was a five speed stick. Never ground gears. God, I was a demon in that game. Had all of the tracks memorized forward and backward. No one would ever play against me.

>> No.998090

>>997675
>>997679
CTR doesn't have time trial mode?

>> No.998168

Nigga, I will SO fucking take part in a CTR time trial thread.

(P.S. I am none of the people in the above mentioned posts, just so you know there is an interest should this happen.)

>> No.998190

Tales of Destiny
R Type Delta
Resident Evil

>> No.998228

>Crash Bandicoot
>Tales of Destiny 2
>Final Fantasy 9

>99 out of 100 nobles were impressed.

>> No.998242

>>998090
Yeah it does.