[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 87 KB, 566x800, 34510-spider-man-2-xbox-front-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9945890 No.9945890 [Reply] [Original]

Are there any decomp projects for the Xbox versions of Spider-Man 1 and 2? I tried looking it up, but I am not sugar-coating it when I say ALL my results are for the gross Insomniac games.
These're both super influential games, but Xbox emulation for both of them ain't quite good yet; at the very least, I'd say they're both just as deserving of source ports/decomps as any other 1st-party game currently getting decomp projects.
>why the Xbox versions specifically?
SM 2 on Xbox is just graphically the best release, and the official PC version is a completely different game.
Meanwhile, SM 1 does have an okay PC port, but the Xbox alone has exclusive levels with Kraven. They're not some tacked-on bonus levels; they're just as fleshed-out and fitting as the regular levels, they just... don't exist on anything except Xbox, effectively making every other release a gimped version.

>> No.9945923

>>9945890
Why not just emulate if you’re not going to alter the code?

>> No.9946069

>>9945923
Why not emulate any of the games that already got decomps and PC ports - what kind of question is that?
...and also the aforementioned "Xbox emulation isn't the greatest", which'd make them easier to run on lower-end systems accurately.
Also mods.
And various other QoL features that don't exist on console or through emulation.

>> No.9946074

>>9946069
>what kind of question is that?
A legitimate one? Why are you so defensive?

>> No.9946079

>>9946074
It's not defensive, just genuinely confused.
Like, the only way that question could make sense to me is if all of the existing decomp projects also don't matter to you/you don't see the point in them.

>> No.9946091

>decomp
basedjak.png

>> No.9946172

No.
>>9946069
Ports of decompiled games are not automatically better then emulation because just being a port doesn't guarantee quality, right now I would recommend emulating the Gamecube versions.

>> No.9946179

What would it take to start a decomp project with people?

>> No.9946226

A GitHub, a discord server, and some shilling. But i really don't think this would be a popular endeavor and I think most other readers would come to the same conclusion. And I say that as someone who really appreciates this game. But go for it and follow your dreams

>> No.9946282

Not gonna happen in a million years because the autist community just isn't there for this game. Notice how the only games to be decomp'd so far are extremely popular Nintendo games? It's gonna remain that way because the time and effort required to reverse engineer a game is enormous and only tendies with no lives are up to the task.