[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 596 KB, 1000x1003, ZeldaMinishCap_BoxArt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9944368 No.9944368 [Reply] [Original]

Would you reccomend this for a dude who really liked Oracle of Seasons? I know they were both made by Capcom and it seems like they brought over some concepts from Oracle like the golden beasts. Is there anything like the ring system in this one? I really liked that Seasons had linear story progression but so many secrets and optional items, hoping this is kind of the same deal.

>> No.9944458

>>9944368
I don't think it's as good as the Oracle games but it's still very good and worth playing. The pixelart is top tier if nothing else.
>Is there anything like the ring system in this one?
The kinstones, I guess? They don't give you powers but they're the same random collectable concept. A lot of people don't like them, but sticking them together satisfies my 'tism.

>> No.9944464

>>9944368
there's the kinstones which give you some items and heart containers etc but can be very annoying. nothing equippable like the rings

i found it to be far easier than the oracles. didn't like all the overworld puzzles either. but i don't think it's bad just not as good as the other 2d games

>> No.9944467

>>9944368
I haven't played the Oracle games but I have played TMC. My opinion is that it's a pretty good game. It's not some kind of masterpiece, but it's a very enjoyable experience with a lot of soul. The graphics are gorgeous and the soundtrack is great. The dungeons are well-designed and the new items and mechanics are quite interesting.
The main story is linear and is pretty short, but there are actually a lot of things to do if you want to 100% the game. Overall, I would say just give it a go and see if you like it.

>> No.9944469

>>9944368
there's a mechanic called Kinstone Pieces where you find half of these coin-looking stone things and you can match them up with various characters which makes opens something up, like a cave, or a golden enemy will appear somewhere. unfortunately, unlike the rings and linked game secrets from the oracle games which were actually pretty cool, the vast majority of rewards for matching Kinstones are either heart pieces, rupees, something called mysterious shells, and something called joy butterflies. the game has the same problem as most zeldas where rupees are basically useless, and IIRC they didn't even implement a lazy excuse to use them in Minish Cap, like they did with the 980 rupee bow in Link's Awakening, or the triforce maps in WW. mysterious shells can be traded to this guy for various figurines that he crafts, theyre pretty cool i guess. if you collect a large number of these figurines, you get more rupees, another heart container, but you also get a "phonograph" which essentially unlocks sound test and lets you play any song from the game.
tl;dr theres a lot of extra shit in minish cap, but the rewards have mostly been nerfed and don't serve much of a function. theres no biggoron sword like oracles, there arent dozens of rings that serve a cool functional purpose, etc.
still a good game though, you should play it desu

>> No.9944485

>>9944469
>the game has the same problem as most zeldas where rupees are basically useless
BotW is unironically the first Zelda where the rupees feel like they actually have value. It's probably just because they don't drop from random monsters though.

>> No.9944489

>>9944464
>i found it to be far easier than the oracles
The oracles are the only truly challenging Zelda games aside from the first two

>> No.9944501

>>9944485
Everything related to the rupees in BoTW and TotK is so fucking retarded it's unreal. Mandatory equipment costs literal thousands and you get jackshit for doing even the longest sidequests. I guess they want you to sell diamonds, amber and all that shit

>> No.9944508

>>9944464
>i found it to be far easier than the oracles
TMC is literally the easiest Zelda. I haven't died a single time playing the game.

>> No.9944513

>>9944501
Yeah, I can definitely agree with that, but at least rupees are not basically free like in most Zelda games.

>> No.9944519

>>9944368
They're very barebones, but it's not a bad idea to play it.
>They don't give you powers but they're the same
LOL. lmao, even.
This should show you what I mean when I say the game is barebones. Imagine even comparing that lame system for the minish to oracle secrets, rings, etc. Minish basically has modern achievements. and that's it. It has achievements. In the modern sense of the word, Let that sink in. Minish is similar, perhaps the precursor, to one of those flash games like Kill the Rope where you sometimes get a bonus from completing Kill the Rope. Even if it's otherwise fine, when compared it's quite the fall.

>> No.9944546

>>9944485
>BotW is unironically the first Zelda where the rupees feel like they actually have value
kind of, but only because they went the opposite route of olde and made rupees scarce while making shit expensive, which got on my nerves almost just as much
i wish botw had more of an "economy", even if it had to be kind of goofy like elder scrolls. i was so disappointed with how they ripped off the most shallow aspects of skyrim while having none of the actual roleplaying/character building mechanics of the games they were clearly borrowing from. but i digress

>> No.9944549

>>9944519
>Minish basically has modern achievements. and that's it. It has achievements. In the modern sense of the word, Let that sink in. Minish is similar, perhaps the precursor, to one of those flash games like Kill the Rope where you sometimes get a bonus from completing Kill the Rope. Even if it's otherwise fine, when compared it's quite the fall.
What the fuck are you talking about?

>> No.9944552

>>9944469
interesting, thanks for the response anon. i think i'll give it a try. shame to hear there's nothing like the rings but the kinstone system sounds interesting. i don't mind getting the generic stuff like heartpieces as a reward though i was hoping they kept the rupees as useful as they were in seasons. can you at least use them to buy ammo that isn't easy to find or anything like that?

>> No.9944554

>>9944513
Yeah but I personally still like the limited upgradeable wallet + easy rupees system more

>> No.9944565

>>9944552
Kinstones are pretty boring and rupees are pretty useless in TMC. I think the game has other strengths, as I said in >>9944467:
>The graphics are gorgeous and the soundtrack is great. The dungeons are well-designed and the new items and mechanics are quite interesting.
I just think that TMC is a pretty fun experience, but it's not too amazing in terms of game design or replayability.

>> No.9944567

>rupees
Never understood why Zelda games struggle with currency so much. Literally just put stuff in shops that's expensive and not easy to find. Boom, rupees are now useful. Instead you have shit like in OoT where fucking grass produces bombs and magic and other shit and you basically have to go out of your way to go to shops that sell fucking nothing you can't find faster in the field.

>> No.9944570

>>9944489
>>9944508
yeah ages has the hardest and most obtuse (at times) puzzles in the series and (disregarding the NES games) both games have combat that is genuinely difficult. though i guess i've also found totk genuinely hard but not retro

i was particularly disappointed at how linear all the dungeons in TMC felt save for the final one. i remember the sky dungeon being a figurative straight line until the final section

>> No.9944572

>>9944567
>Instead you have shit like in OoT where fucking grass produces bombs and magic and other shit
ALttP did it because it kind of worked for that game, but every game after it thought it had to copy it, so here we are.

>> No.9944579

>>9944368
I wouldn't recommend any Zelda after fifth gen tbqh

>> No.9944583

>>9944570
> though i guess i've also found totk genuinely hard but not retro
It is pretty challenging for a modern AAA game that's for sure

>> No.9944612

>>9944572
Even in AlttP rupees had some value, OoT is basically a complete fucking joke in that regard and you can pretty much 100% the game without ever spending a dime except on like 3 minigames. I don't know why they thought "I know, let's let you only hold 500 rupees, make it so you can find 100 rupees a minute, and also fill the shops with complete bullshit that you'll never run out of anyway", it's just such a bizarre design. It's almost like they were scared of a 7 year old being too retarded to find arrows from the 10000 patches of grass and pots or something.

>> No.9944621

>>9944612
One of the strangest things about OoT is that you can buy a goron tunic for 200 rupees, except there's no point in that because it's given to you for free.
I think the only things I ever bought from shops in OoT are the deku shield in the beginning of the game and the hylian shield.

>> No.9944642

>>9944621
Yeah that's another thing too, even the "big" items you can buy like the tunic, shield etc., can just be found anyway. It seriously seems like they just didn't want some retarded faggot kid to have the slightest issue finding a necessary item and shit talking the game to his friends or something. It's obsessively retard-proof design, but then they had no issue with stuff like Water Temple that filters 75% of people. Maybe they were just running out of time and had better shit to worry about, I don't know. Great game otherwise but the item management and money are baffling.

>> No.9944691

>>9944621

Like like's can eat your tunic and it vanishes forever if you don't get it back afterwards.

>> No.9944698

>>9944621
The tunics in the shops are for when you lose yours from a like-like.

>> No.9944731

>>9944691
>>9944698
Makes sense, although I still don't know why the game just gives the tunic to the player for free.

>> No.9944753

>>9944549
>What the fuck are you talking about?
I said minish's "alternative" to rings is so barebones it's like achievements. Are you so fucking dumb you can't read? Have you never played a game with achievements? Do you not know what achievements are if so why are you so dumb you can't you google it?

>> No.9944758

>>9944753
The kinstone "content" was definitely half-assed, but I think the main story and dungeons are pretty polished.

>> No.9944776

>>9944753
It's not even that you didn't articulate your point well, it's that it was a dumb thought in the first place.

>> No.9944842

>>9944691
>>9944698
>>9944731
never happens. like likes spit it back out as soon as they die and IIRC they'll even keep it between rooms. only scenario where they wont is if you were to lose it, save, not kill it and turn the power off.

>> No.9944894

>>9944368
Great game, so yes.

>> No.9945317

>>9944842
>IIRC they'll even keep it between rooms.
I don't think that's true. There's one in the well that can get you through a grate and I remember losing my stuff after going through doors to reach it.

>> No.9945704

>>9944552
>can you at least use them to buy ammo that isn't easy to find or anything like that?
nta, but far as I remember there isnt any special ammo or anything like that, besides permanent powerups

Oracle games have the best take on the slingshot BY FAR with all the different ammo it has. It’s the only game in the series where the item has any worth outside of being a shittier bow.

I do think I recall some shops in castle town selling permanent stuff for a pretty high price, so there’s that at least.

I liked MC asa kid but I wasn’t crazy about it playing it more recently, pretty slow with lots of dialog and very simple dungeons. You might still like it so go ahead and give it a try, just know going in you’re not getting another oracle game. You’re getting like, weenie hut jr zelda. Lots of people still like it, just temper your expectations for stuff besides the good presentation.

>> No.9945718

>>9944368
Hell yeah, Minish Cap is excellent.

>> No.9946264
File: 1.54 MB, 240x160, gust-jar.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Gust Jar is the best item of any Zelda game.

>> No.9946269

>>9946264
alright, that's pretty fucking cool. i'm gonna letterbomb my old wii and play this tomorrow.

>> No.9948859
File: 1.33 MB, 240x160, burning-grass.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9946264
There are so many cool random things you can do in TMC, it's insane

>> No.9948865

>>9948859
further proof that capcom is the only company that should be making zelda games

>> No.9948873

>>9948865
Maybe capcom and nintendo should swap.
Capcom making great Zeldas
Nintendo finally making a good mega man game

>> No.9948874

>>9946264
Link had the Gravity Gun before it was cool.

>> No.9948929
File: 1.23 MB, 240x160, missle-launcher.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9948859
TMC is the first Zelda game to feature a missle launcher.
I wish this trick worked with regular bombs though.

>> No.9948982

>>9948929
LA lets you combine arrows and bombs.

>> No.9948991

>>9948982
Oh yea, totally forgot about that.