[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 26 KB, 425x234, ff6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9932358 No.9932358 [Reply] [Original]

What's the best way to play it?

US version (FF3)? GBA version? Pixel remaster? Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition romhack? Revised Old Style Edition romhack? Something else?

>> No.9932445

>>9932358
Woolsey Uncensored but keep in mind the Blitz tutorial is cut from that, so be wary in the mountain pass boss early in the game

>> No.9932661

>>9932358
Vanilla original for SNES. Add a decensoring patch if you feel the need, but nothing else.

>> No.9932692
File: 3 KB, 512x448, submarined-dot-com.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9932358
Avoid romhacks with original translation work, that's just asking for autistrouble.

Just play the original, and if the translation "issues" are somehow unacceptable for you, the GBA version (or a romhack that applies the GBA changes to the original, I vaguely remember something like that existing)

>> No.9932716

>>9932692
Isn't Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition mostly just undoing the censorship in graphics and dialogue? (Along with other stuff like bugfixes and somewhat revamping the opera scene)

>> No.9932731

>>9932716
No. It's a lot of pointless ad-libs and bug fixes because the guy can't help but want to "improve" the game. For your first playthrough, you should play it only as Square intended and save customization for replays.

>> No.9932738

T-Edition

>> No.9932795

>>9932692
This is the correct answer. If you want to get any deeper into the game then play another version on your second playthrough.

>> No.9932904
File: 425 KB, 639x1110, Umaro.full.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9932358
emulate the vanilla SNES version. as mentioned already, you can use an uncensor patch or a mild retranslation patch if needed (don't use a complete literal retranslation, they strip the soul out of the game)

>> No.9932976

>>9932731
It's not really as intended if it's a rush job with limited time and storage space for translations and multiple gamebreaking bugs

>> No.9933014

>>9932731
In fairness early versions of the uncensor patch were just that, if you can look at the changelog and track down those I'd certanly recommend them. FF translators across the board can't help but go full autism though, no gameplay changes belong in a text patch.

>> No.9933129

>>9932358
Just fucking pick one. Make a fucking general for indecisive anons to ask which version of games to play so we don't have 10 threads of this shit at a time.

>> No.9933171
File: 14 KB, 300x223, celes-beaten-300x223.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9932358
Some form of SNES version because every version beyond PS1 is censorship-compromised down to the JP originals. The SNES release has bugs but honestly most of them are either minor or sonething you have to be deliberate to be affected by; the gamebreaking Sketch bug only appears in US 1.0 due to a bizarre localizer oversight, so keep that in mind. As >>9932692 says, text hacks are cancer, partially due to the Woolsey Uncensored fellow being an insufferable control-freak faggot who claims partial ownership over everyone else (yeah he's like the manifestation of YouTube's firstfag). If you MUST pick a text hack, either go with hairy_hen's retranslation because only she had the balls to say no Rodimus's nonsense, or just go with the basic GBA script port (be aware that both are filled with gross amounts of "bugfixes" because they can't help themselves).
Still craving a "New Game +" experience after your first playthrough? The best Japanese hack is T-Edition, which was recently translated by Mato with GBA script as a base, and the best English hack is Divergent Paths, which uses SNES script as a base. The former is praised for being such an expansion (plus it carries over some of the Advance content), but the content and changes of the latter feel much more believable and seamlessly integrated, almost as if it was the game the devs would've made then if they had more time. You can safely ignore everything else, the sheet quantity (former) and quality (latter) of these two titans of the romhack community mean nothing else even compares, and over 90% of hacks are pointless wastes of garbage anyway.

>> No.9933321

>>9932358

If you like the extra content and new items, espers and super bosses, GBA and old Steam version. GBA has the drawback of shit audio, even with sound restoration romhack, and old Steam version needs mods with Atma Weapon, and even then it's got problems. There other cool mods for it though also.

Pixel Remaster absolutely needs a shitload of mods to stand up to the Snes version. It's pure dogshit without them and I think the soundtrack is pretty hit and miss. Snes version is perfectly good if you don't care about the extra GBA content but it needs Ted Woolsey romhack with vital bugfixes.

It's honestly a tough call. Personally I can't live without the GBA additions. I like stealing Ragnaroks from Lady and I like the extra 10-20 hours of pimping my characters out then going to the extra dungeons. If you don't care about any of that, probably just stick with Snes + romhack.

>> No.9933324

What's the consensus/pros vs cons of different versions of Final Fantasy 1-5?

And what about Chrono Trigger bugfixes/uncensoring?

>> No.9933332

>>9933171
What's the consensus on manulowe bugfixes in Chrono Trigger? He seems to be very conservative and transparent in what he fixes

>> No.9933337

>>9932731

You're retarded if you think bugs were the developer's intention. The physical evasion bug makes the game significantly easier. Don't listen to this clown OP

>> No.9933376

>>9933332

There is no consensus, but I think I've got a pretty good take.

FF1&2 = Final Fantasy Origins PS1. Some will tell you PSP but I don't like the art style, and extra dungeons really don't matter in these titles. I wouldn't go out of your way to play these. FF1 is rough around the edges and FF2 is dogshit. Incredibly redone soundtrack, great sprite work and environments.

FF3 = Pixel remaster

FF4 = Snes with Nemingway patches, or PSP if you don't mind the artstyle and you want extra content. Many prefer PSP, I don't, but one thing I respect is that they give you the option between original and remade soundtracks. Another option is GBA with sound restoration patch. Not recommended with headphones but it's not as bad on speakers. Has extra content

FF5 = Snes with gba translation and bug fixes. Again, GBA is an option but refer to above. Has extra content but I've never experienced it. Almost did but I lost my save because I was playing it on a shitty android emulator at work like 5 years ago.

>> No.9933387

>>9932716

There is literally no downside to using TWUE. It's better in every way. Nintendo got in the way frequently with these games with their infinite faggotry.

>> No.9933426

>>9933387
They've done like 20 updates and keep changing more and more shit..

>> No.9933438

>>9933332

my bad, meant to respond to

>>9933324

>> No.9933623 [SPOILER] 
File: 1.15 MB, 1383x1080, Sacrilege_trash.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9933376
>FF1&2 = Final Fantasy Origins PS1.
Completely agree. The Square Enix tenure of rereleases tried to change too much, you'd almost think Enix actively sabotaging the original.
>extra dungeons really don't matter in these titles.
Absolutely true too, extra content was always stuff handed down to the lowest-paid interns.
>FF3 = Pixel remaster
Also yes, but barely. Famicom version is still pretty playable unlike the earlier games. If the WonderSwan Color remake was finished, no doubt the recomnendation would be a version based on that instead. Just avoid 3D, the monsters are botched.
>FF4 = Snes with Nemingway patches,
Nooooo no no, Namingway Edition is made by the same annoying fuck responsible for TWUE and is filled with fluff that wasn't ever conceived for 2D versions. (Not that the 3D version is terrible, but I wouldn't necessarily play it for first playthrough.) Unfortunately, there's no great text hack for the original FFIV, but the closest might be Evisceration Fix, which is pretty much an unfucked version of the old J2e fan-translation. I would trust any ROM hack that uses FFIIUS as its base far less than I would a ROM hack that uses FFIVJP as its base.
>or PSP if you don't mind the artstyle
PSP is really the "just werks" version if you want an accessible version of TAY lol (which by the was, has a DREADFUL 3D version). At least it runs better than the Advance version.
>FF5 = Snes with gba translation
Eh that translation goes a bit far in a few places, I'd rather Spooniest's "Legend of the Crystals" hack that's like a hybrid of that and the fan-translation where appropriate, same guy who salvaged J2e too.
>>9933426
>They've done like 20 updates and keep changing more and more shit...
It's unironically post-millennial "more updates = more support = it must be good" mindset. All he does is promise "MAJOR Update!" whenever someone else makes a text hack so that his is still the one that shows up first, but all they do is slowly undo his bad early changes.

>> No.9933684

>>9933171
All the "retranslations" are just various eop autists picking and choosing their favorite lines from a multitude of translations done by people that actually know Japanese, and they're all nostalgiafags with preferences for "iconic" incorrect lines that are only iconic due to people reading them before they read a proper translation.

Either play the original or a GBA script port, then go read mato and that kwazhit-or-however-the-fuck-you-spell-it guy's translation notes if you care about the original script in extreme detail.

>> No.9933750

>>9933623
So is FF6 TWUE good or bad? And if good, which version, and where would you even find it as romhacking only has latest version

How is the pixel remaster for FF5 and FF6?

>> No.9933764
File: 698 KB, 701x507, 1552773224265.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9933337
NTA, but you know the tale of the oldfag who did bugfixes correctly? Skyrender, whose translation was otherwise amateurish. Bitch made sure to give you plenty of patching options so you can play the game however you prefer. Hey, even a broken clock, right?
Newfag hackers are all "noooo how dare you customize things, play it my way or the high way!"

>> No.9933870

>>9933764
I mean Sky Render knew more Japanese than any of these modern clowns, it's just that he didn't have the luxury of having THREE fucking complete, competent and modern-day translations of the game to borrow from.

Yeah, his release was shit, but none of these other guys would've done better at the time either. It's less "broken clock" and more "product of its time".

>> No.9933885

>>9933750
PR version of 6 is barely above the horrendous mobile version. Stay away. The few upsides, like the higher detail backgrounds and the revisit to the OST, are completely overshadowed by all the omissions and soul-destroying mixelwork.

>> No.9933958

>>9932358
SNES version or GBA, both are great.

>> No.9934098
File: 133 KB, 703x696, reddit_6-24-21.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9933750
>So is FF6 TWUE good or bad?
Mediocre. It more or less started out based more heavily on the SkyRender/RPGOne version, but then Tomato's translation analysis on Legends of Localization revealed how garbo it was and the girl he liked sure let him know that, so now he's been undoing those changes over time in favor of making it more like the base localization and frequenting forums to shill and market himself as dat FFVI guy. He feels threatened whenever yet another texthack is announced, so he constantly updates now to artificially make his texthack the first one you see on RHDN, but these updates barely do anything anymore. (As a rule of thumb, you should avoid ROM hacks that constantly update, because all that means is that the author is an indecisive PoS. No hack I've played with the rolling-release philosophy has ever been decent.) Meanwhile, there are braindead-obvious errors made by Woolsey that he still refuses to fix, like the "Can you talk?!" supposed to be "You can talk!?" in reaction to Mog speaking. If you're considering playing TWUE, you might as well just play the original, because at least you're playing the version ingrained in the popular culture. Or, if you need a no-nonsense, bare minimalist uncensorship, maybe try out the Total Graphics Uncensorship hack, which basically makes the SNES version the way Square released the PSX version.
>How is the pixel remaster for FF5 and FF6?
You can honestly skip the pixel remasters of the SNES trilogy (although V has a masterful rendition of the game's main theme that I always felt oddly sounded a little flat originally). It's normie-friendly for those who feel daunted by rereleases and mods just to be able to play the games optimally. It's not the worst way to play the NES trilogy though, especially III.

>> No.9934128

Pixel Remaster.

>> No.9934134

>>9933321
>Pixel Remaster absolutely needs a shitload of mods to stand up to the Snes version
Don't exaggerate. It only needs to fix that horrid font but that's a flaw in every PR, not just 6.
PR 6 looks great, plays great and more importantly: sounds great.

>> No.9934143

>>9933332
PR is pretty much the best version all of 6 games. People here will tell you they're literal kusoge because they think the have to fanatically hate everything new just for being here.

>> No.9934147
File: 2.50 MB, 1280x800, ChaosBusts.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9934128
>>9934134
>>9934143

>> No.9934158

>>9934098
>the version ingrained in the popular culture
It isn't even that. Not anymore. The Slattery translation is the one used in all modern releases, so the majority of people discovering the game today encounter that translation, not Woolsey's dinosaur.

>> No.9934198
File: 109 KB, 849x641, LeteRiver.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9934158
Funny how Slattery still referenced Woolsey as an in-joke. I think the submariner and "hate-hate..." lines were also reused in post-GBA Dissidia. Also, you're forgetting how well the SNES classic mini sold. There are definitely people still playing FFVI today for the first time thanks to that, like my zoomer girlfriend and her sibs.

>> No.9934213

>>9934198
Slattery was a faggot for all these random Woolsey lines he left in. All they do is make the translation less accurate for newcomers, the Woolsey fanboys are just going to keep playing their Woolsey anyway no matter how many "fan favorite lines" he keeps.

>> No.9934214

>>9934198
All Slattery ever did was reword Woolsey's work, at best removing some of his old memey lines in favor of new ones.

>> No.9934247
File: 30 KB, 512x480, garland-knock-you-down-playstation-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9934214
He definitely did retranslation work as Legends of Localization proves, but yeah he was at the same time too afraid to rock the boat too much in regards to Woolsey's status in too many ways. Hard to tell if that was by choice or if he was under Squeenix's orders though, I seem to recall a vocal minority of FF fanboys blowing a gasket over Squeenix removing Garland's"knock you all down" quote in Origins to the point it was among the things undone for the US GBA and later releases.

>> No.9934284

>>9933129
Literally who cares? This board is practically dead and is all constant rehashing of conversations had over and over again. I'm surprised there isn't a thread talking about how "bad" FF4 is or asking when Chrono Cross gets good. No one cares, whiny bitch.

>> No.9934315

>>9934284
See >>9904426

>> No.9934345
File: 1.03 MB, 2000x2800, dbdnlmm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9933129
A macro image like other JRPGs would be good enough FFfags can get some damn consensus sometime. Honestly, I think you can distill it to three distinct eras, depending on the type of person you are.
>I'm an oldie!
Play any classic release from 1987-2003.
>I'm a newbie!
Something from 2004-2020 might be more up your alley.
>I'm a casual normie!
2021-present (aka Pixel Remaster) is thataway.
Of course, we'd probably want subsection of fan-mods, especially for the classic era..and that's something NO ONE can agree on.

>> No.9934450

>>9934147
Going by this, the PSX version looks by far the best. This is FF1 in Origins right?

>> No.9934725

>>9932731
I don't care about developer intentions (never mind that rushjob bugs and Locke keeping a woman trapped in his basement aren't the developer intent); I care about what's good—if the developers intended to have a scene where Kefka has rough anal sex with Gestahl, I would download the hack that removes this.

>> No.9934746
File: 154 KB, 1080x345, astarothex.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9934450
Yes. It's believed that the PSX version uses something closer to the raw palette of the assets before they had to be modified/saturated for handhelds, but it also slightly stretches the image taller slightly to account for the aspect ratio change (not by much, but enough that some tweaks and replacement sprites had to happen).
>>9934345
I'd probably phrase it as:
>I can handle classic JRPGs.
>I'm already somewhat familiar with the genre.
>I'm completely and unabashedly new to JRPGs.
It's a start at least.

>> No.9934970

>>9934134

>disgraceful purple oceans and neon green grass
>stoney doorways
>hit and miss OST
>bad UI
>obnoxious maps
>shit lighting in and out of battle
>Shit opera

Some people have higher standards than you

>> No.9935830

>>9934970
I was this close to agreeing with you but you lost me with the shitty OST and opera. You're just trying too hard now.

>> No.9935873
File: 1.06 MB, 1487x1013, FinalFantasyWour.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9934284
>talking about how "bad" FF4 is
Can I vent for a moment about how underwhelming this Pixel Remaster is (only PR I've tried btw)?
It's pretty much been a ritual for me to play each major version of FFIV since it's my first FF. The first thing that felt off to be is the translation, and I knew I wasn't gonna like where it's going. So SNES->PS1->GBA->DS->PSP each incrementally built upon and improved the previous translation, right? For some asinine reason, PR rips the GBA translation. The MID CYCLE iteration. There's no excuse, it shows how little they cared. That's strike one. Then I notice extra tutorial text. Take picrel for example. Before, the NPC downstairs told you where to go, and everyone is yammering on about how Cecil should go to bed, so it's pretty obvious what to do here. Evidently PR had to fix this conveyance issue, so it added a new text box to automatically guide you. So little effort was put into it that it's not even a sentence. Literally who had a problem? Was one tester a retard looking for Cecil's PJs in the castle? Saying no won't let you climb into bed as usual, you have to re-enter the room for the prompt. That's strike two. Ah, but who can forget that WONDERFUL PR soundtrack? After all, it's the most prized part of the package, right? I for one was looking forward to the battle theme. I better get used to it. So I (made the mistake of) putting my headphones on, entered battle, and. Holy. Fucking. SHIT. Immediately my senses are assaulted first few offkey notes. Damn near blasted my eardrum! "Oh it's a real orchestra so it's better hurf durf" - NO you uncultured simpletons. What they did here makes for bloody ears. And that's strike three. What in hell? This isn't what I was promised. Had to quit playing right then and there, and I've never quit my FFIV run before. Looking at videos further on, it don't get much better. More questionable sound choices. Homogenization of graphics/effects like goddamn Pokémon remakes. So disappointed.

>> No.9936001

>>9935830

slow the fk down, I didn't say the OST was shit. I said I thought it was hit and miss. Dancing Mad for instance was really underwhelming for some reason. Meanwhile The Veldt and Narshe Mines were absolute god-tier. Even then, I still can't call it shit despite it being hit and miss. The opera though, yeah, it's shit. Celes shouldn't know how to sing opera. Anyway why are you so against modding the game to be better?

>> No.9936006

>>9932358
european psx PAL

>> No.9936292

>>9932358
Everyone you ask provides a different answer, and that's why I still haven't played this.

>> No.9936307
File: 188 KB, 758x1054, this_will_always_be_me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9936292
If all else fails, just play the original. If nothing else, it's the baseline.

>> No.9936319

>>9936307
Can't argue with that. I just know it got some basic story elements wrong and is graphically censored (is there a hack for fixing that that doesn't also fuck with the script?). On the other hand, it does seem like it has more personality than the GBA translation.

>> No.9936335

>>9935873
>PR IV soundtrack
there's a specific moment with a trumpet in the regular boss battle theme that's utterly jarring and completely throws you out of the mood
>>9936001
>Dancing Mad for instance was really underwhelming for some reason.
It's the vocal portions
Had more charm with the SNES limitations

>> No.9936391
File: 44 KB, 278x459, 9a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9936319
>(is there a hack for fixing that that doesn't also fuck with the script?)
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3813/

>> No.9936445

>>9936391
Excellent.

>> No.9937728

>>9932358
Play T-Edition

>> No.9937735

>>9932738
Do you know where we can get walkthroughs of this one?

>> No.9938868

>>9934247
>replace inaccurate line with arguably even less accurate line
I don't get it.

>> No.9939170

Just play TWUE, it's good enough. Namingway for FF4 is also fine.

>> No.9939272
File: 786 KB, 4608x2592, hqg535wfhdv61.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9939170
No one cares anymore, shortrod.

>> No.9939620

>>9932358
Seconding
>Vanilla original for SNES. Add a decensoring patch if you feel the need, but nothing else.

>> No.9940316

>>9939170
What is the standard for FF4? Translation patches or a later port?

>> No.9940560

>>9932358
I recently played through this with the most minimalist TWUE hack (the one that changes the least things). It really wasn't too bad. I do think the dude behind it is a faggot, but this version of the hack was decent enough. I never really felt like it overstepped its boundaries, though it has been a long time since I played the original without any modifications.

That said, if you're a veteran and are looking for something fresh, T-Edition is where it's at. It is highly satisfying.

>> No.9940758

>>9934970
>hit and miss OST
You know you can just select the original soundtrack right? Unless that's only on the Switch/PS4 versions.

>> No.9940767

>>9934198
The Woolsey translation basically changed Kefka's characterization which was then carried back over into the Japanese stuff. It's kind of hard to change it completely due to that.

>> No.9941078
File: 32 KB, 800x700, 63191.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9940758
>Unless that's only on the Switch/PS4 versions.
Yep. That, font option, and FFVI opening.

>> No.9941090

>>9940767
>which was then carried back over into the Japanese stuff
Lolno

>> No.9941196

>>9934198
Slattery also takes a shot at the "purists" with a Figaro guard mentioning how some of the truly-devoted Kefka cultists insist on spelling his name "Cefca" and points out the stupidity behind it.

>> No.9941324
File: 224 KB, 680x498, CasualOfLife.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9941078
Also "CRT" filter toggle for grandpa, EXP and/or Gil multiplier up to 4x I think, and option to turn off random encounters because lol get with the times bummer!

>> No.9941410
File: 352 KB, 480x420, Final Fantasy PSP Graphics.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9940316
No real standard, FFIV is prob the game with the most schizo replies outside of VI, but thankfully there aren't as many "you MUST play THIS version!" autists with it. The weakest release is the Wonderswan Color conversion and the Advance port based on it, which don't run well and have timing issues - yeah IV WSC had to be the opposite-day version compared to I&II WSC, presumably because it was rushed after III WSC was canceled. You can play any other version and still come out fine, they all have their own pros and cons.
>SNES: US II has censorship and script issues plus simplified gameplay, better to patch JP IV.
>PS1: uncensored version, close to vanilla and actually has the best load times out of any S/NES->PSX version, audio can sound a bit off tho.
>WSC: skip.
>GBA: has extra content but performance took a hit, is outdone by both the obscure JP cell version that remixes the content and the PSP version that carries it over.
>DS: very well done compared to III DS, game is made harder in many ways tho so not recommended for first time, some questionable choices like new augment system and optimizing it also isn't explained well.
>PSP: closest to being the "complete" package with a better GBA-based main game, a version of TAY, and an exclusive interquel scenario (which is meh), we don't blame you if you pick this one altho visuals can be a mixed bag and sit sonewhere between PSP I&II and mobile V&VI in quality, TAY uses OG cell progression so the bonus dungeon that was combined on WiiWare is split back up but the neat graphical flashbacks are lost in transition.
>Steam: basically just DS without Touch Screen bonuses and a difficulty selection to have something a little more normal, just avoid Steam TAY since it was made on a budget missing many features and details and easily the worst version of TAY (which is already rather unimpressive).
>Pixel Remaster...
>>9935873 summed it up.

>> No.9941669

>>9941410
What's the best FF4 translation? Namingway?

>> No.9941718

>>9941196
cringe

>> No.9941734
File: 1.65 MB, 498x427, 1658849137598468.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9941669
Not a translation, just some random person without Japanese knowledge picking and choosing their favorite lines on a whim just like every other FFVI hack, including plotpoints that never existed in 16-bit versions >>9933623 (and it uses the American version which is a horrible idea for myriad reasons, but it's the one with a text editor utility so it's the amateur's choice).
The best official translation is either 3D or PSP, which also have better consistency (in English) with The After Years than the other translations. 3D is probably better overall, though some are put off by the flowery prose and prefer PSP, which is essentially a blend of it and the GBA translation (itself a heavily modified PS1, which was very loosely based on SNES). Currrently, unlike FFV and FFVI, there does not exist a real script port project for the original FFIV, which is a shame.

>> No.9942078

>>9941669
Namingway version is fine. That guy >>9941410 is a mentally ill sperg that's been posting his greentext listicles for years now. Including that fucking picture for ants.

>> No.9942082

>>9933376
>>9933623
>Final Fantasy Origins PS1
Really? I thought the PSP/IOS versions made them irrelevant.

>> No.9942363 [DELETED] 
File: 36 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9932738
>T-girl

Y W N B A W
W
N
B
A
W

>> No.9942392
File: 63 KB, 991x366, memeingway_giantredflag.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9942078
Explain to us why it's a good idea you used the bastardized US version of the game instead of the JP version that's been the go-to for years.

>> No.9942413

>>9942082
The GBA version made a crucial change to the magic system, using MP instead of spell charges that changes the feel of casting significantly. Some people like this change, but it's undeniably different to the core experience. It also adds a bunch of healing items that weren't in the original game, somewhat lessening the uniqueness of white magic. These changes are in every rerelease since then up until Pixel Remaster, which I think restores the spell charges but keeps the new items.

>> No.9942473
File: 55 KB, 1036x194, 16853195730_a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9941669
Namingway Edition is a direct fork of Project II v2.08, so it was never a straight "translation" so much as a text edit of a gameplay mod of the worse version.

>> No.9942482

>>9932358
the best way to play is with original hardware, in your bathtub

quit posting the same threads over and over again you fucking faggots

>> No.9942498
File: 38 KB, 667x444, f33a81c9cee0762de3513400e4554aa92.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Almost finished the Japanese version of FFVI using the GBA. It's absolutely been a blast.

I actually have the FFVI PR and one thing I'm a bit concerned about is how the hell I'll play it without fast forward.

>> No.9942621 [DELETED] 

>>9933324
I only include the version with official english localization.
>FF1
PSX/NES if you want a challenging game, GBA/PSP/PR if you want to breeze through it
>FF2
PSX has much higher store price for everything including resting and heavily punishing you by for commiting to jack of all trade build by zero-summing your stats.
GBA/PSP doesn't have any of that and have Soul of Rebirth
PR has better dual-wielding mechanic where your characters target two different enemies if the first target dies in one blow
No matter which version you pick, the monster closet is always there to piss you off and unarmed/agility build trivialize the entire game, so pick your poison
>FF3
PR is good
>FF4
None of them are bad except the original FFII for having less feature. Your only option is to play the PS1 version.
If you want to play After Years with SNES aesthetics, emulate the wiiware version
>FF5
PSX version, the slow load time can be offset by fast forwarding in the emulator
>FF6
SNES version is fine
The 3D version of FF3 and 4 have different enough gameplay to be considered as standalone games.

>> No.9942640

>>9933324
I only include the version with official english localization.
>FF1
PSX/NES if you want a challenging game, GBA/PSP/PR if you want to breeze through it
>FF2
PSX has much higher store price for everything including resting and heavily punishing you for commiting to jack of all trade build by zero-summing your stats.
GBA/PSP doesn't have any of that and have Soul of Rebirth
PR has better dual-wielding mechanic where your characters target two different enemies if the first target dies in one blow
No matter which version you pick, the monster closet is always there to piss you off and unarmed/agility build trivialize the entire game, so pick your poison
>FF3
PR is good
>FF4
None of them are bad except the original FFII for having less feature. Your only option is to play the PS1 version.
If you want to play After Years with SNES aesthetics, emulate the wiiware version
>FF5
PSX version, the slow load time can be offset by fast forwarding in the emulator
>FF6
SNES version is fine

The 3D version of FF3 and 4 have distinctive enough gameplay to be considered as standalone games and shouldn't be compared.

>> No.9942670

>>9942473
what the hell is "project ii"?

so is there really not any good JP FF4 translation?

>> No.9942719
File: 1.57 MB, 2436x1125, EB274BDF-9187-4FF6-BD25-753CDBCBB8CF.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP, the best version of the game is the one on the platform in which you feel comfiest.

Just play it dude. Yeah the versions have minor differences; but it’s the same game regardless.

>> No.9943258

>>9932358
I liked the GBA version. Translation felt natural and well written and the game fucks so hard that I didn't even notice the performance.

>> No.9943496

>>9942670
>what the hell is "project ii"?
Project II is a hack of SNES Final Fantasy II (US version) using a PC editor utility called FF4kster. It many changes under the limitations, including stats, abilities, NPCs, items/equipment, shops, etc. Newer versions also edit a few graphics to be more in line with pixel remaster. SNES Final Fantasy III (that is, US version of VI) also has a Project III that wasn't received well. A lot of people aren't aware of the Project II foundation when they recommend Namingway Edition.
>so is there really not any good JP FF4 translation?
This is the best thing for vanilla IV right now: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6467/
It's the ideal version of the J2e fan-translation, which means it's better than the SNES and PlayStation versions at least, but things are in a pretty sorry state right now for reasons we can speculate, yeah.

>> No.9943503

I'm partial to the original SNES version, no patches, no fuckery. GBA has gimped music, PSX is just SNES emulated, pixel remaster somehow managed to fuck up pixel graphics, and I think the interface looks ugly as hell.

>> No.9943567
File: 81 KB, 420x354, into-the-trash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9942392
>>9942473
Well shit, had a feeling something was up too, thanks.

>> No.9943573

>>9943496
>things are in a pretty sorry state right now for reasons we can speculate
Let me take a stab at it. Rodimus Primal effectively monopolized all the attention around FFIV ROM hacking, so no one else wants to give it a shot now because they know they'll just get upstaged by him.

>> No.9943695

>>9942473
The gameplay mods are to make it in line with the Japanese version, instead of the neutered western release.

Namingway is the best way bar none to experience FF4

>> No.9943735

>>9943695
Did you even read the changelogs? Project II v2.08 / Namingway Edition does other subjective things on top of that, and it'll never be a full restoration because, again, it simply doesn't use the right ROM. You almost might as well recommend the Chaos Rush 2019 translation port to AstralEsper’s Final Fantasy Restored hack because that's close enough to vanilla Final Fantasy Famicom. It's a thing, but it's not what people who want the pure experience signed up for. Plus, plenty of fanfic things like >>9933623's pic.
>>9943573
Well, I didn't want to name names, but I guess the author's been talked about in this thread.

>> No.9943789 [SPOILER] 
File: 6 KB, 256x384, rodimus paraphrasal.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9933623
>went through the effort to change the line
>not even right in the version with Theodor
wow

>> No.9943891

>>9943735
The end result is the same, it's just a backwards way of doing it since they were working off another project. In any case, as an alternative to FF2 USA, it's far superior. And overall, it's the best version of the game short of being a native Japanese speaker (and even then Naming way implements multiple quality of life features).

I really don't get what your issue is with it beyond autistic nitpicking about which version you apply the romhack to.

>> No.9943968
File: 390 KB, 500x500, k.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9943891
>The end result is the same
Even the authors admit that "most" of the changes have been reverted, but they never once made the claim that it was "all" of them. They also have different goals that you may think, including taking gameplay ideas from EASY TYPE and the DS versions.
>as an alternative to FF2 USA
But why have then when FFIV Jap hacking is not only possible but very tried and true? Because wannabes who feel the need to inject fanfiction had a harder time getting their way before the floodgates were opened by FF4kster?
>and even then Naming way implements multiple quality of life features
And if you seek "quality of life" features (of which PII/NE comprise of arbitrary nitpicks like changing stats and replacing equipment because reasons), there's absolutely no shortage of perfectly fine FFIV re-releases out there that are also great ways to experience the game. Really, you might as well play literally any other official re-release if that was your honest desire. If you're going through the trouble to patch and emulate FFIV, chances are, you know that's the version you want. I don't get the mentality of younger hackers who dirty their fingerprints all over the original.
>nitpicking about which version you apply the romhack to.
FFII USA has an ocean of differences, and all serious hacks had the good sense to leave it behind in the dust bin of history for the longest time.
https://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy_IV_(SNES,_PlayStation)/Version_Differences

>> No.9943974

>>9943968
I like how you can't even give a single example, just that it must be bad, or even has the *potential* to be bad, purely because it is based off Project II and FF2 USA rom.

>FFII USA has an ocean of differences, and all serious hacks had the good sense to leave it behind in the dust bin of history for the longest time.
Yes and Namingway fixed these to make it like JP version...

You sound like you've literally never even played Namingway in any capacity and just had a spergfit because you heard it is used on the FF2US rom and that it is based off Project II (despite reverting many changes and going in an entirely different direction)

>> No.9944005

>>9943974
Read the changelogs and discussion at RHDN, anon. Namingway Edition does not undo a lot of the "we know better than the developers" bulljunk introduced by Project II 2.08. Examples of things that do not exist in other versions was already mentioned in this very thread, including an awful anachronistic (and, as it turns out, inaccurate) change that hurt the emotional impact of a key quote scene (Cecil accepting his kin)
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/patches/1659readme.txt
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/patches/2337readme.txt
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19301.0.html

>> No.9944008
File: 101 KB, 625x626, 85a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9944005
dude stop responding to the resident rodfag, it's obvious he has mental illness.

>> No.9944023

>>9932358
just play the damn SNES version the same as everyone else did

>> No.9946125

T-Edition is the best version after you've played other FFs too.

>> No.9947235

>>9942719
>OP, the best version of the game is the one on the platform in which you feel comfiest.
nooo if it's not the one from my childhood then it sucks!!!!!!