[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 159 KB, 1024x768, 1368384829487.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
992141 No.992141 [Reply] [Original]

Of all Final Fantasy games I've played only FF VII. My question is what FF games do you guys recommend next and are any of them worth playing past PS1? ( I know not retro, but I'm curious) Thank you.

>> No.992169

Depends on what you liked most about FFVII.

If you liked the customization aspects, with materias and stuff, I'd say go with VIII (junctionning and G-Forces), or X (sphere grid), because these two basically let you do whatever you want with your characters, if you take some time to learn how it works.

But if you want a more classic JRPG experience, I'd say IX for the PS era, or IV, V or VI for the classics. If you want both classic and customization, then V, because of the job system.

>> No.992168

4 is the worst in every aspect. There is like no gameplay at all.

Play 9, everybody like this ones so it's a safe bet. Just make sure to set Battle speed at max.

>are any of them worth playing past PS1?
No.

>> No.992176

>>992168

IV has the best gameplay, if you get a version that isn't neutered like the American SNES version. no I haven't played V yet

Where it falls flat on its face is the shit story. Crystals, light, darkness, friendship, ra ra ra. If you played the first three Final Fantasies, it's the same story stretched out to fit a longer game.

>> No.992179

9 is amazing because it had all the classic Final Fantasy aspects.
I really liked 10 and 12. 10 was more for the story, 12 also had a good story and a nice twist to the combat system.
FF6 had probably the best villain of all time, typical FF combat. Also really loved Terra.

>> No.992180

Not OP but I took a look and saw that FF V have a ton of classes which I love about games and even have it so you can switch at will so it won't mess with my OCD.

I heard the story is kinda meh though. Would the gameplay alone be worth playing for or would I be better off searching for another game like it?

>> No.992182

> are any of them worth playing past PS1?

ffx is okay but still very skippable; everything afterwards are certainly not.

>> No.992184

>>992176
>IV has the best gameplay

If by best gameplay you mean customization close to NULL (literaly only buying 2 piece of armor in each town and you don't even have choice out of those) and having zero control on your party or what they can learn; then yeah...
For an RPG that's just ridiculous. IV has always been overrated, even in its time. Some late FAMICOM RPGs did what it did in terms of story and storytelling before it.

>> No.992186

IV, V, VI played in that order are a pretty safe call. They each do something different. IV focuses on a more story focused game, V focuses more on the job system and VI focuses on a grander storyline that the series hadn't really seen before.

VIII and IX are pretty good too and if you liked VII you'll probably like those to an extent.

The remake of III for the DS(and now Android phones and PSP I believe?) was a lot of fun, it felt like a precursor for V since it uses similar mechanics but it's not for everyone. It also strangely feels like a Dragon Quest game.

I is enjoyable but there isn't much plot or character interaction. It focuses a lot more on the gameplay than anything else.

II I haven't played but I've heard mixed opinions from all over.

>are any of them worth playing past PS1?
Eh, not really. You could try X I guess, it doesn't "ruin" the series but it's not great either. XI is an MMO which is probably pretty dead by now. XII was alright I suppose, if I'd recommend any Final Fantasy after IX it'd be this one.

XIII is shit.

>> No.992196

>I want to play X games series what should I do?

Start with the first game and play them in the order they were released in.

>> No.992198

>>992184

In VI you had 10+ characters and about six of them were worth using by the time you could pick between them all at the endgame. All grey magic is useless which means quite a few espers are pointless as well. Customization doesn't automatically make good gameplay.

>> No.992209

>>992141
So tell us, what did you like about FFVII?

>> No.992282

>>992209

Considering that I played it back when it was released, i was initially amazed by graphics and cinematic. I also love soundtrack. It was also my intro to JRPG, considering that I only played western RPGs on PC, so it was something new for me. I did love the characters, progression of the story mana system and leveling. Tedious part was chocobo breeding and parts with Cait Sith .

>> No.992519

I recommend 4 and 6 if you have an actual Snes at hand.
Add 5 if you're using an emulator or a Nintendo DS (or was it Gameboy Advance? not sure).

I heard the Playstation ports are bothersome because of the loading times, but those CG movies look neat enough to perhaps take the into consideration anyhow.

8 and 9 are on par with 7 and on top look better.
I really recommend those two above all else.
Don't listen to the FF8 haters.
See for yourself.

I haven't played anything beyond ps1 but some of my friends liked X and one of them really loves XII.

Final Fantasy Tactics might also be worth a look.
I only played the Gameboy Advance one thought and it was ok.

Not Final Fantasy per se, but you should also check out Ehrgeiz.

>> No.992540

>>992196
Ah, I'm actually doing this. Started playing the DQ series back when /vr/ was created and just finished 7 last night. Having lots of fun and not burned out at all.

>> No.992563

My favorites are, in order...

FF9, FF7, FF6, FF4, Tactics, FF5, FF10

And beyond that it gets really blurred. I would recommend any of the ones I just mentioned,

>> No.992620

>>992141
the ps2 games are still good, just not as stellar.
mind you that everything before ff7 as aged significantly.
even though ff6 is often praised as the best, if you haven't played it back then it needs some time getting into it. (nowhere as smooth as newer games). psx version has loading times, but beautiful render-intro. gba version is rumored to be best (fluent, overworked translation, good sound quality) but i haven't tested it

>> No.992853

>>992620
I prefer the RPGOne SNES version. It's the most faithful to the original script.

>> No.992991

>>992282
Just my opinions

1: I'd say give it a shot, it's a bit grindy but leveling makes you feel way more powerful. Also classing up (rat tail you'll see) is fun. Totally generic story and not much in side quests. Graphics obviously outdated.

2&3: I've never played.

4: Some people love the story, I found it pretty flat. Not a whole lot of grinding needed, but also leveling up not as dramatic. Some neat characters and minor sidequests. Again older graphics but nothing mindblowing.

5: Another fairly generic story, but the supporting characters are fairly quirky and fun (spoony bards lawl). Not super grindy, but the class system is pretty fun and makes you keep wanting to level up. Again, graphics will not blow you away

6: Decent story, decent characters. Little/no grinding required, Esper system is kind of similar to FFVII materia. Some optional sidequests/characters, lots of little moments that will stay with you. Good graphics for SNES.

8: You will love or hate the characters. You will love or hate the story. Ways of gaining money, obtaining weapons, and getting Magic are all in radical departure from past games (Guess what, you will love it or hate it). Little/no grinding involved but if you want a powerful party be prepared to invest a bit of boring time into drawing magic. Lots of optional sidequests, very involved card game (love or hate you know the drill). Revolutionary graphics for the time, but they have not held up very well.

9: Good story, good characters. Goes for a more 'classic fantasy' feel instead of the futuristic world of the last couple games. Little/no grinding needed, not huge rewards for levelling. Sidequest level between 8 and 9. Solid graphics for PS1

As has already been suggested, I think the best way to do it is to play them all in order to find out what you like. 9, 6, and 5 seem to be the heavy favorites (In that order, not including 7)

>> No.992995

>>992991
Let me clarify: by grinding, I mean farming areas for extended periods of time specifically to gain experience. I do not consider the battles you encounter on the world map walking from place to place, or making your way through dungeons to be grinding

>> No.993129

>>992620

Uh, that part about the GBA version of FF6 is slightly wrong. The music quality is not as good. The GBA sound chip didn't have as many instruments as the SNES version, and it shows with a couple of the tracks. However they do have mods where you can basically replace the soundtrack with the SNES version. I highly recommend you do so if you play the GBA version.

>> No.994745
File: 34 KB, 800x600, garnet456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

VI, VII, IX, X and tactics are the ones I recommend to everyone.

VI is very similar to VII combat-wise. IX may seem completely different but it's a throwback to pre-VII Final Fantasies, in that it's actually fantasy.

X is shit in characters and plot but it has the best combat and the soundtrack is at least top 3 for Uematsu.

Tactics is completely different but awesome. Tactics Advance and A2 are okay but not nearly as good.

IV is generally liked but seems to be getting a lot of hate lately. I liked it, it was the first one I played.

V, VIII, XII and XIII are hit or miss. I hate all four of them. II, X-2 and XIII-2 suck balls. Mystic Quest is pretty shit.

the original trilogy are only worth bothering with if you really want to play them all. The original in particular is very grindy with no plot. Same goes for FF Adventure and FF Legend, but legend has some cool stuff to mess around with.

Crisis Core is pretty awesome if you have a PSP. Dirge of Cerberus is okay.

Crystal Chronicles is shit beyond the first game, which is tolerable.

XI is great if you're willing to get into an MMO, and XIV Reborn is looking just as good.

The chocobo related games are okay if you're willing to go that deep. Dissidia 012 is pretty awesome.

>> No.994959

Let me just say what each one has to offer and recommend how to play it
1: You pick from a number of classes and they get upgrade about half way in the game. Every bare bone but fun. PSX Origins since it retain the same gameplay of the NES but fixes some bugs in the first
2: Every time you do anything you get better. Cast a spell that spell gets more power. Sounds nice but I always felt there was a giant balancing issue. PSX again.
3: First time they have the job system. Pretty fun and has a bit of challenge at some areas. DS
4: Introduce ATB (battle is more real time) I recommend to start this because characters from different classes come in and go so you have a good idea of what classes does what. And I enjoy the story. SNES (fan translation), or DS (the GBA has weird bugs and is annoying to play)
5: My favorite gameplay wise. Like 3 but is a lot more customizable. You learn abilities as you level the job and you can "equip" the abilities on other classes (have a black mage cast white magic as well).
6: Every job is a character. Because of that only a handful actually has any impact on the story but it's fun and they handle the massive party well. Now which one depends if you enjoy translation or localization. If you are fine with a nice translation GBA since they fixed all the bugs that plagued the SNES. But I felt the SNES version had a bit more personality but that's just my opinion.
7: you played this
8: You "equip" spells to your stats. It's a great idea I just feel there's a problem with balance. If you take the time to read and learn the best way to get the right spells you are basically a god in the first few hours and never really have any problem. PSX
9: My favorite game. You have no control over the classes but each serve a nice role. You learn abilities by your equipment. The problem however is that it's more of a throwback. It reference a lot of the older games (like equipment names, places, ect.) PSX.

>> No.994996

>>994959
10: Back to turn base battles. As you level up you move across a grid which you unlock to increase your stats. My favorite gripe with it is that you have little control over your characters. Heard the HD remake fixes it so everyone starts in the center and you have more control where everyone goes. If this is so get that one.
10-2: The story is extremely bubblegum pop. And 99% is just minigames. Brings back the job system but lets you switch in the middle of battle but with some restrictions. But I feel they forgot to do any balancing with the classes. So you will find a job that seem 100% useful and others that just plan sucks.
11: It's a MMO so I'm not going to talk about it
12: You unlock license to have the ability to use the item or abilities. Also they have a thing called the gambit system. Where you tell what the character should do under certain conditions. Like "cast cure when HP is under 30%" or "Use eye drops if character is blind". It's riddle with abuse sadly so you can just walk forward with little actual control over your character if you set it right.
13: The first 20-25 hours is more or less a tutorial of the job system. You use Crystarium Points (Call it CP so go ahead and laugh) to get better at a class of your choice. Sadly by the time you unlock all the classes for everyone (they unlock a few over time) you will most likely stick to the classes you've been putting points in anyways. Also some characters will never be as good as others in one job. So you most likely just not both putting points in one a physical class for the character that is already most a mage.
Never played 13-2 so I can't give you my opinion on that.

>> No.995002

>>992196
>suggesting, without a hint of irony, that someone should play FF2

>> No.995004

>>992141
welp, these are my opinions:

FFI and FFII aren't all that special (FFII's story is a complete rip-off of star wars, not even kidding)

FFIII introduced a job system, was a pretty average game. I did have more fun with the NES version (with translation patch) than the DS/mobile versions

FFIV introduced the ATB battle system, I highly recommend the DS/Mobile version of this game, those versions retain the difficulty of the original japanese version. The PSP version of FFIV also has "FFIV: the after years", a sequel. It's not the best, but it's still pretty okay

FFV brings back the job system, has a lighthearted story, some kick-ass tunes and Gilgamesh. I highly recommend this game

FFVI is one of my favorite games. The story, the music, the graphics, ... I love every single detail of this game.

FFVII, the first PS1 FF. Extremely popular, iconic music, weird SD player models. Pretty good game, shame for all the shitty spin-off games.

FFVIII is absolute shit. terrible. don't even bother with this game. The story is literally batshit insane and drawing and junctioning is terrible.

Haven't played FFIX yet

FFX, the first ps2 FF game and also the first voiced FF game. It's a truly good game if you succeed at ignoring the stupid shit Tidus says.

I don't play MMO's, so no FFXI

FFXII has a better focus on story but is in my opinion lacking in gameplay. mid/lategame all you do is walking around and pressing X to talk, the gambits will take care of everything

>> No.995007

>>992991
>Little/no grinding involved but if you want a powerful party be prepared to invest a bit of boring time into drawing magic.

>drawing magic

Yeah, no.

>> No.995015

>>994745
Minor correction, X-2 has the best combat of an FF game.

>> No.995021

>>995015
I kind of agree. The problem I have is that they never seem to focus on balancing the classes. I still had a blast with it but felt FFV was better because every class was useful.

>> No.995036

>>995021
Yeah, Dark Knight - Dark Knight - Alchemist was basically the go to option except for Mascots.

I did find a use for Lady Luck though. I finished the game and only had 99%. I was mad as fuck so I steamrolled through the whole game on hotspots only in about 4 hours in the wee hours of the morning to get that last % and perfect ending. Lady Luck has double XP, double AP & auto haste, so it's very good for when you just need to kill shit right now.

>> No.995243
File: 209 KB, 696x1044, Quina.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>994745
>Garnet

Second best FF girl.

>> No.996134
File: 136 KB, 584x763, 07f6aa82412f73b79ccf5b0e966e8736.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>995243
That's what you think.

>> No.996208

>>992180
Just bought it and so far im 10 hours in and loving every second of it.

>> No.996216
File: 17 KB, 250x250, Contanza.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>992563
>FF5 near the bottom

>> No.996242

>>996134
mah nigga

>> No.999657

>>992169
Never do FF8.