[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 48 KB, 220x308, Contra_Hard_Corps.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9914795 No.9914795 [Reply] [Original]

Is Hard Corps generally considered better than Contra 3? While the presentation is cool as fuck and I enjoyed the variety of characters, weapons and branching paths, I can't help but feel that they leaned too hard on the big setpieces. Basically the entire game is a glorified boss rush that mostly abandons the run and gun formula of the NES games, the level design is pretty much nonexistent and generic mooks extremely scarce, even them mostly used as part of some scripted sequence. And you spend like half of the playtime looking at cinematics and waiting for the bosses entrance/transforming animation to finish before you can finally start shooting them. Contra 3 is far from perfect but generally I felt that it did a better job at staying true to the original formula while mixing it with the big setpieces and bosses.

>> No.9914819

>>9914795
They're both peak Contra. Huge upgrades over the first 2 games and a lot more fun to go back to than anything made after, the only game coming close is Shattered Soldier.

>> No.9914930

>>9914795
They're about the same. Both C3 and Hard Corps was all about the big boss setpieces and reducing the platforming and mook blasting to light intermissions.

>> No.9915013

>>9914795
Contra 3 is hardcore as fuck and filtering me, while Contra Hard Corps is, ironically, not. Difficulty feels just about right and the game overall is very enjoyable

>> No.9915023

>>9915013
Contra 3 is easy when you realize weapon swapping gives more DPS.

Hard corps is easy when you realize bosses have no RNG and just do set patterns that repeat, there's no randomness to them, its like they follow a script

>> No.9915042

>>9914795
contra 3 has the exact same problems.

>> No.9915083

>>9915023
>Hard corps is easy when you realize bosses have no RNG and just do set patterns that repeat, there's no randomness to them, its like they follow a script
This is a big problem for me, the first time you play you'll die at nearly everything since attacks aren't telegraphed, but once you know what to do the game is "solved" and you can beat it in autoplay. Alien Wars on the other hand has much more randomness but actually allows you to react to it (for the most part) so it keeps being fun.
Also homing weapons are way too convenient in Hard Corps compared to everything else, both because they're extremely efficient at finding the target and because there are too many bosses with hitboxes above the ground that you can only hit at an awkward angle. Unless it's a static enemy that you can unload laser on without risk it's a no brainer.

>> No.9915085

>>9915083
*aren't really telegraphed

>> No.9916748

>>9914795
>Is Hard Corps generally considered better than Contra 3?
Not by me you dumb degenerate sonicpedo.
>muhgenerally
>i need muh consensus
>please tell me what to thiiiiiiink

>> No.9916924

What's the canon path for each of he characters?

>> No.9916934

>>9914819
Contra peaked with the very first arcade game

>> No.9916967

Hard Corps feels static as hell overall, Contra 3 not only has more RNG, but also more aimed patterns. It's kind of like comparing an Irem horizontal shooter to a toaplan vertical shooter

>> No.9917090

hard to compare them.
alien wars and castlevania iv were both early snes launch titles

hard corps and bloodlines were late gen genesis games that took full advantage of the console

>> No.9917119

>>9917090
They're kind of opposite situations though, Castlevania IV and Hard Corps are the two that have a big emphasis on presentation and sheer quantity of content, while the other two stay more true to the core gameplay of the classic games.

>> No.9917354

>>9914795
I'd still give it to hard corps because of the weapons. I also play the romhack that restores the 3-hit death system from the jap version because 1-hit for Hard Corps is just degenerate.

>> No.9917395

>>9917354
>I also play the romhack that restores the 3-hit death system from the jap version because 1-hit for Hard Corps is just degenerate.

A man of culture I see (I did the same)

>> No.9917462

>>9916924
The girl obviously get the ending when she becomes Bahamut's evil spouse.

>> No.9917471

>>9914795
No. It's faster but that's it. Contra III ain't exactly slow either. HC is an ugly game. The limited color palet doesn't work. Alien Wars is dark and gritty but not ugly.

My biggest gripe with HC is how all the enemies, even the most minor, die with tons of spastic explosions which make it hard to see other enemies or projectiles coming at you.

>> No.9917476

>>9915042
No it doesn't. No long lame cutscenes or select screens. Boss intros are short. You spend way more time actually playing the game. It is boss rush heavy though.

>> No.9917496

>>9917476
>It is boss rush heavy though.
Still the levels are longer and have sections with normal enemies and some semblance of level design. It's like a middle ground between Contra/Super C and Hard Corps.

>> No.9917506

>>9917471
I think the game looks good. III was an early SNES release so it doesn't look exactly amazing. But the visual clutter in HC is a real problem, especially in level 1 and against those enemies in the junkyard.

>> No.9917674

Was it ever confirmed this and mg are in the same universe

>> No.9918841

>>9914795
Both games are equally great, each with their own charm. But if I had to choose which one is better, I'd choose Contra 3 for having better graphics/soundtrack and more balanced difficulty.

But for some fucking reason they renamed Contra Hard Corps as Probotector for Europe, same name with the first Contra game for European NES. Was it so hard to name it Mega Probotector?

>> No.9919394

>>9917674
>Was it ever confirmed this and mg are in the same universe
Nope

>> No.9919550

>>9917674
Metal Gear?

>> No.9919554

>>9914795
No. Also the NA release was botched with added difficulty.

>> No.9920750

>>9914795
There was a Bruce Willis game that played like this but I can't remember the name

>> No.9920875

>>9915083
I found all the weapons pretty balanced. You don't really use homing much more than the others for bosses. The bosses are mostly static but that's really only a flaw with the unforgiving nature of the game as it makes it feel very trial error

>> No.9921045

>>9920750
Die Hard Trilogy?

>> No.9921074

>>9914795
Honestly, just like SCIV and Bloodlines both are pretty equally fantastic.

>> No.9922026
File: 480 KB, 850x1129, contrasoftcore.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9916934
This. NES port was fine at the time but no reason to play it besides nostalgia these days. that's like preferring the master system version of street fighter 2 or maybe the tiger handheld

>> No.9922116

After reading this thread I tried the JP version, and holy shit, the healthbar makes the game actually playable at a casual level. I wouldn't suggest touching the western version until you know everything about the game, it's just not designed around it. First time playing you'd get constantly sucker punched and it'd take a million continues to finish of course, but even beyond that the biggest issue is that HC is extremely stingy at giving you weapons, so just getting hit once might leave you crippled for good part of the playthrough.

>> No.9922690

>>9922026
Lmao, even someone who really loves the Contra AC version can really only justify it being roughly as good as the NES version. Super Contra vs. Super C is no contest, the NES version blows it away

>> No.9922695

>>9922116
The game was actually designed around one hit I think, but considering the game is nearly pure memo trial and error, the one hit kills and limited continues definitely sucks. The whole fun of Hard Corps is strategizing sections and perfecting your routing and it's a pain to do that when you are so punished for experimentation. Not only does Japan version give you like 5x as much total hits per continue, it has unlimited continues, and not losing your weapon on hit is massive towards figuring out proper routing.

>> No.9922749

There is nothing wrong in enjoying hard corps with hit points, and it makes multiplayer viable.

>> No.9922827

The story of Hard Corps is so fun, it's like every over the top action/sci-fi movie cliche rolled up into one. And it's not even missing some classic WTF "japanese humour" moments, like the soldiers suddenly forming human pyramids and shit and the uguu~ kawaii little plant hybrid that gives you power ups instead of attacking.

>> No.9923882

OHHHHH I NEED MY CONSENSUS WENSUS
IS X BETTER THAN Y?? GENERALLY?? WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK?? AM I ALLOWED TO PLAY IT?? PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO, I CAN'T MAKE DECISIONS ON MY OWN, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT OTHERS THINK, I DON'T WANT TO WRONGTHINK AND GO AGAINST CONSENSUS

>> No.9924060

>>9921074
Bloodlines is a 8/10
SCIV is a 6/10

Dracula X is a 9/10

>> No.9925725

>>9923882
yeah, coming here to talk about games, comparing them, and sharing experiences are for LOSERS LOL!!! whats /vr/ I thought this was /v/ LOL!!!

>> No.9926124

don't think they're equal games
iii was an snes launch title
hard corps was a late gen MD game

it shows

>> No.9926190

>>9926124
>iii was an snes launch title
It came out 2 years after the launch, ya tard.