[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 6 KB, 256x224, screenshot_AntiquaColosseum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
991161 No.991161 [Reply] [Original]

>Replaying Secret of Evermore, one of my all-time favorite games.
>Get to this motherfucker.
>Remember I used to weigh down the attack button in turbo mode to autoattack at 0% power for a goddamn hour as a kid.
>Start dreading the fight.
>Fight starts.
>Realize he's not armored from behind.
>Throw spear, does 150+ damage.
>Win in two minutes.

Fuck I was a dumb kid. I played this game probably six times through during my childhood and never once thought to attack from behind him.

>> No.991180

>>991161
>Remember I used to weigh down the attack button in turbo mode to autoattack at 0% power
Hahaha, I was stupid like that too. I never had a SNES back in the day (Genesis kid), but when I emulated the Mana games on our Windows 98 computer back then, I never knew that you could charge your attack so I thought some bosses were hard as fuck because of that.

>> No.991187

I was flat out stupid when it came to video games.

Started playing video games since before I can remember. The first game I beat? Pokemon Red. Never beat a single game before that.

I played Super Mario World. Never got past the first boss until I played the game much later on an emulator.

Ecco the Dolphin. I never got past the first level. The first fucking level. I didn't know what the fuck the game was about. I thought you just swam around like a fucking dolphin.

Sonic the Hedgehog. I fucking flipped my shit when I beat the first boss. I thought that was the end of the game. I had been playing for over a week.

Star Fox 64, flipped my shit when I beat the second boss. The one in the asteroid belt. I had been trying for days to beat him. Interestingly enough, I breezed my way through the rest of the game up until Venom. I only just beat it a few years ago, having no trouble at any point.

So yeah, for the longest time, I couldn't figure out how to play video games I guess.

>> No.991189

>Zelda Ocarina of Time
Gorons keep talking about a "special crop" that will help me through the Fire Temple
>thought this was a new quest item
>search every room in the Fire Temple to no avail
>complete the Temple without it
>didn't realize the "special crop" was what the Gorons were calling MY FUCKING BOMBS

>> No.991202
File: 15 KB, 960x672, ecco.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was playing games before I could read, so I had no clue that the manual said you could use the C button to accelerate, so I just dashed around everywhere with B. When I got my own Genesis and the game years later, my mind was blown.

>> No.991207

>borrowed Mario Bros. 2
>got stuck for a week on the beginning area because I didn't know that UP opens the door

>> No.991713
File: 3 KB, 256x224, TinyToons990.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tiny Toons Adventures on NES. It was one of my favourite games as a kid and one of my most (re)played.

I always thought that Buster was useless in this game because contrary to other characters he didn't have any unique power. He was my least favourite character because of that and just thought he was a "middle-ground filler character" for in between you can't play with characters with special abilities.

More than 10 years later I realized that he does have his own special ability and it's the best one: if you jump after a slide he will perform a special jump that goes even higher and further than normal jumps (you know... because he's a rabbit...) and it makes the game a lot more fun.
Now he's my favourite character because of that.