[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 480x447, SD3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
990015 No.990015 [Reply] [Original]

What parties does /vr/ recommend for SD3? I was thinking either Duran or Lise as my protagonist. Which is more fun to control? What are the best paths? Doesn't Lise have a path with great support magic?

>> No.990039
File: 2.99 MB, 2450x1400, 1369257322942.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't you like Mana, /pol/?

>> No.990045

>>990039
>/pol/

That said, no, I don't like Mana.

>> No.991836

Best party: Kevin

>> No.991906

>>990015
Four Warriors is always the best party.

>> No.991921

>>990015

Lise is the best support character, Star Lancer provides party-wide stat buffs.

If you want to destroy absolutely everything and give no fucks: Kevin, Duran, Lise (make sure to keep plenty of healing items on hand)

If you want a Secret of Mana style party: Duran, Angela, Carlie

Otherwise just go with whatever, this game is easy as hell unless you go out of your way to not level.

If you go with Kevin make sure it's always night so you can abuse werewolf form. The ghost ship segment suspends the day-night cycle so make sure it's early daytime when you leave the port town after getting Sylph in Rolanto so it will be night when the ghost ship segment starts. And don't use the inn on the ghost ship or else it will be stuck as daytime until you escape.

>> No.991923

Duran, Rise, Carly or whatserface-the-mage is my favorite, but Duran, Kevin, and Ninja-guy makes for some heavy duty shitwrecking.

>> No.991986

Pick the following character if:

Kevin: You want to devastate everything

Angela: You enjoy casting

Duran: You want a Fighter/Healer

Carlie: You want a dedicated healer

Hawk: You don't want trap chests to continually fuck you over

Lise: You want buffs or debuffs

God tier party: Hawk, Kevin, Lise

I know /vr/ might frown on this, but you should probably look at a character class guide and find out which path you want to take.

>> No.991991

>>991986
>lise: buffs or debuffs
I totally forgot that debuffs are Hawk's abilities >.<

>> No.992294

So everyone already mentioned that Kevin is easymodo. He is the twirling whirlwind of rape that is also justice.

Then the moon rises, and he becomes twice as strong.

Avoid taking Dark Duran with Light Carlie, because both of these characters use elemental sabers. Light Duran will have arguably more useful and weird things, while Dark Carlie will have offensive spells. Most people hate Dark Carlie, but she is a boss killer due to her curse ability. Notice that this is an overlap with Dark Lise, since she can also power down bosses.

Angela has something in common with Kevin, in that you need to plan out which version of her you want. Her final spells are quite different based on your choices, and some fit better than others. Typically stronger spells are more useful than multicasts. Casters can finish up their cast while you're in the pause menu so they can really nuke the crap out of bosses. I'm 90% sure that bosses do not like this and will also cast and attack more frequently if you pause a lot.

Hake and Lise are trash, straight up. The only way to keep them in the game at all is to always raise strength. You don't make a non-strength version of these characters, because otherwise they will hit enemies for 1 point of damage each hit, and will be forced to charge up their attack even on rabites.

Im sure someone will disagree about Hawke, I'll let someone who actually plays them respond. Lise is replaced by the black market, since powerups and powerdowns are only used on bosses, and it's very easy to carry these items around for that purpose.

Remember to abuse the crap out of multi-target sabers (Any Duran, some Kevin, Light Carlie) if you have them, they are good for trash and bosses, unlike most spells.

>> No.992414

I tried a Lise-less game once

Never again

>> No.992506
File: 129 KB, 231x231, 1312952044095.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>990045
Fuck you, man. Get some friends and replay it [emulate to avoid hardware costs] with each person controlling a character. It's fun as fuck.

>> No.992571

I'm not fond of breaking up the action to use spells besides healing.

Kevin can heal and melee well with his light classes, so I used him the most. If Lise doesn't need to level agility like Hawk does, then pick her and Duran as the other two. I enjoyed Duran's story-line as the main character. Final boss was awesome.

>> No.992594

>>991986
>I know /vr/ might frown on this

I don't. Unlike other games with class systems, it's never explained to you exactly what the changes entail.

The first time I played SD3, I thought the class changes were storyline things or whatever, and picked all light (for a party with Hawk, Lise, and Angela, no less)

>> No.992603

physical damage in this game was really strong
lets look at all the advantages it has over spells
-bosses will do a powerful counter attack every time they are hit with a spell
-all characters 'tech' is based off their weapon damage, the mages techs do pathetic damage while the fighter's techs can 1 shot many mobs. level 1 techs are not counter attacked by bosses
-many different characters can grant you elemental sabers, even if you dont have them there are items that do that, elemental sabers let you double your fighters damage output vs bosses
-spell users have a channel time for their casts where they cannot or defend themself while physical attacks stun enemies on hit

If you want a challenge pick up some casters.
If you want easy mode pick fighters

>> No.992843

Bear in mind that you spend most of the game with only your first class change, so that is an important factor.

Hawkeye: Dark-Dark. Fullscreen powerattack. Hawke gets tons of spells no matter what, and they are mostly useless, so you just want the attack damage.

Riese: Dark-Dark. I don't think she has very good classes, and if I remember correctly her fullscreen powerattacks are at level 2 instead of 3. Choose 'dark' second no matter what, since this allows magic multitargeting.

Angela: Dark-Light. This is the only class that gets the crazy level 3 magic, each with it's own new animation and status effects. You have to give up Dark-Dark's Ancient which is definitely worth a try on a second playthrough. Light is strong but it converts into worthless classes. It's debatable but not really.

Duran: Dark-Light. Multitarget all your sabers, nothing else is even worth considering. Light-Dark if you want him as a dedicated healer.

Kevin: Dark-anything. Both are good. I prefer Dark-Light. Light-Dark is arguably better at healing than Charlotte is, since Kevin can leech his own mana back.

Charlotte: Light-Light assuming you follow the advice above. There's no bad class for her, but there's no good class either. Dark-Dark also doesn't overlap with any classes above, but the other 2 will.

>> No.992870

>>992843
>Bear in mind that you spend most of the game with only your first class change, so that is an important factor.

So why would you give that advice and recommend a Dark Angela as she only gets one new spell in the first class change.

>> No.992897

Never played this, do some characters have better storylines or are they all pretry much the same?

>> No.992905

>>992870

Its a good point. But I mentioned that very discrepancy.

The bottom line is that the dark spell you get is pretty universally effective, along with her being physically stronger. Not having a specific elemental advantage on difficult enemies is a tradeoff for a drastically superior endgame.

If you'd rather have your single-target level 2 spells and then multitarget them at the endgame, that works too. I didn't find that to be any easier or more fun. Someone already mentioned that bosses love their counterattack button, so at no point is having those early level 2 spells (on the Light path) going to make bosses easier.

>> No.992920

>>992905
but in the end the Grand Divina is the physically strongest of Angela's classes with only one less intelligence over the Magus and tied with the Rune Master

>> No.992921

>>992897

There are three stories
Kevin, Charlotte
Duran, Angela
Hawkeye, Riese

Each of the three storylines has it's own endboss. The three storylines merge for most of the game, so you only get a division at the beginning and the end, like this: >------<

The storyline you get is based on the first character you pick, and you don't need the other character. So if you've already played a Kevin game, you shouldn't pick Charlotte as your first character. If you do, you'll get the same boss again.

Each character also has their own intro sequence, but it's not extremely long. An hour or less.

>> No.992926

>>992905
>>992920
and multiple targeting of spells against enemies for the rest of the game is great iirc you can't even multi target the level 1 spells as a first class change dark Angela

>> No.992927

>>992920

those are some nice bullet points but we're discussing what makes the character good, grand divina is flat out the worst class for her, and gets no new useful tools.

If you just want to split hairs then /golfclap you can finish the game with any character. As I already told you Light is arguable for Angela but not really.

>> No.992942

>>992926

wrong you get level 2 multitarget at the second class change, which is the last couple of hours of the game

and, yes, dark gets multitarget level 1 just like light does

if youre going to argue make sure you remember the game

light only gets better single target spells and then it gets dogscraps at the second class change. Dark gets new powerful stuff at the second change

>> No.992940

>>992921

Don't you also get a bit less of the story if you only pick one of the characters in that storyline?

>> No.992961

>>990015
Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of creating a warrior/mage/healer party. In SD3, specialized parties are the best. My recommendation is Duran/Kevin/Lise. With sabers and status boosts, bosses are a piece of cake, and Kevin can heal if needed. Duran + Strength Boost + Aura Wave usually kills everything quickly, and is cheap as far as mana is concerned.

>> No.993119

>>992843
>sabers

Man, considering sabers as a choice for classes is useless. By the time you get to the third class, they're mostly useless anyway.
Plus you can pick up "Claws" in the black market for sabers in boss fights.

Overall not a good choice to consider.

>> No.993125

>>990015
If you're choosing Duran, dont bother with his light path. The advantage to light path is supposed to be shields, which add a fuckton of evade for him.

....which turns out to be useless as the evade stat is actually confirmed to be fucked and useless in this game.

>> No.993132

Kevin is the most fun character by far.
If you go Kevin/Carlie's route, taking Carlie and making her Light-Light makes the end fairly simple, since there's a lot of undead and she gets a spell that's great against undead.

>> No.993152

>>992940
Yeah, for story purposes it's best to use both characters of that plotline.

>> No.993192

Why does Lise have so much fanart?

>> No.993220

>>993119

my very first sentence was that you spend most of the game without the second class change, so its not nearly as important as the first one

you pick dark duran because he HITS HARDER and has something useful, ie single-target sabers for use against early bosses

you pick dark-dark duran because he gets far more useful sabers for the last few fights

the argument 'you can just buy it at the black market' is literally the most information-devoid statement you can possibly make. it is LISE, not duran, that is made irrelevant by the black market, because you only use power ups and power downs during boss fights. They are just a waste of time at all other occasions, so its better to skip Lise and buy market items.

Sabers on the other hand are always useful, even against normal mobs, certainly more so than 'heal' on durans worthless light classes

you see, if you're going to say something, that's fine. say it. I don't disagree with you about the relatively small value of sabers. But make sure that your statements inform the reader in some fashion.

>> No.993234
File: 724 KB, 1112x1600, riesz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>993192
Because she's cute.

>> No.993245

>>993234
Not as pretty as Angela though, so that argument doesn't work.

Correct answer is that she's moe/generic.

>> No.993283

>>993245
>Not as pretty as Angela though
The "Internet" seems to disagree, if the amount of fanart is any indication.

>> No.993289

Carlie makes the game babby easy mode.

>> No.993335

All female
Carlie/Lise/Angela

Play as Lise, be an unstoppable train.

>> No.993340

Please don't play as Angela if you're playing co-op. It's no fun when your buddy has to pull up the menu constantly to cast spells.

>> No.993347

>>993245

I love me some Angela, but I wouldn't call Lise moe or generic.

>> No.993379

Duran, Hawk, Kevin

Scales to boost stats, Jutsus to lower the bosses stats.

Then just hit and hit hard.

>> No.993391

>>992294
Played Hawk
Yes Charging is pretty much standard. However I do seem to remember leveling my desert thief into a ninja of carnage especially when I started using single and double attack powerups.

If I remember triple power charge attacks were also possible?