[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 63 KB, 564x447, 1363642786600.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
989327 No.989327 [Reply] [Original]

Before anybody cries "this is more /v/", please read.
Recently, Xenoblade Chronicles has been going up on Gamestop, -pre-owned- only, for $90.
Here is gamestop's release as to "why",
>GameStop regularly receives feedback from our PowerUp members regarding old titles they would us like to bring back, such as vintage games like Xenoblade Chronicles. We were recently able to source a limited number of copies of this title to carry in our stores and online.
>In fact, we have sourced several more vintage titles that we will be hitting stores in the coming months, including Metroid Prime Trilogy.
with that in mind, read this article.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/30/gamestop-ceo-company-could-expand-into-vintage-games-business/
tl:dr version,
>If you go to eBay and look at all of the gaming stuff that's on there, it's unbelievable. Collector's stuff. We've got to be in that business. We will be.

Shortest version: Its happening, gamestop is getting ready to re-enter the "vintage/retro market". Prepare your anus.

>> No.989332
File: 15 KB, 640x40, and here, we go.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>989327
and for those needing further "proof",
>"Vintage" Video Games
>plural

>> No.989336

>>989327
>Xenoblade Chronicles
>vintage

wut

>> No.989339

>Xenoblade Chronicles
>Metroid Prime Trilogy
>Vintage

Maybe if they're wine. This is less of retro game sales and more of grabbing up any high-valued aftermarket game to sell as a 'collector's item'. It affects all games, retro or not, but hopefully they don't actually try to buy and resell several hundred dollar games or anything. Though if selling Xenoblade for 90 is any indication of things to come, then we might have more trouble than I assume.

>> No.989346

>>989336
For a second I thought he was refering to Xenogears, but none of that is mentioned in the article.

>> No.989347

>>989339
Doesn't an NES copy of SMB cost over $400 from GameStop?

>> No.989351

I remember seeing something like this on /v/ where someone had asked a bunch of gamestop employees about this and GS got a bunch of new Xenoblade reprints, opened them, and then sold them as pre-owned so they could bypass laws on the price of new games.

>> No.989349

>>989339
>grabbing up any high-valued aftermarket game to sell as a 'collector's item'
This. GameStop doesn't like retro, and makes it clear by routinely destroying hundreds of unsellable PS1/PS2/GCN games and accessories.

>> No.989352

They've also been calling people to trade in their copies of Xenoblade. Who'd be dumb enough to do that?

>> No.989367

>Metroid Prime Trilog
> 2009
>VINTAGE

>Xenoblade Chronicles
>2011
>VINTAGE VINTAGE VINTAGE

This is bullshit of the highest level.

>> No.989373

In Japan, there are so many stores that sell retro games, that their prices are relatively cheap compared to the goddamn inflated and overpriced market in America. Why spend over $200 on Earthbound, when that amount of money can get you the entire Mother series in Japan(Mother, Mother 2, Mother 1+2 on GBA and Mother 3)? Gamestop only supports modern systems, and older systems have absolutely no support in any store. One of Japan's biggest used game store is Bookoff(they mainly sell books but also games) and every single one I've been into has a PS1 section that's bigger than the 360 section, and some have a decently sized Super Famicom sections. The specialty stores have even more stuff. Gamestop going into retro won't be the same as this, they are only in it for the greed.

>> No.989402

>>989373
So, you're saying we need to go to Japan?

>> No.989417

>>989402
Your trip isn't necessary for that kind of response, you attention whoring faggot you.

>> No.989460

>>989417
You seem visibly upset.

>> No.989464

>>989417
I recommend doing what most of this board has done and get a filter that forces everyone as anon.
I would even have know there was a trip in this thread if not for your response.
It's the best way to combat it is just to filter it out. You never have to deal with them again and they go on thinking people see their trip.

>> No.989467

Honestly if you don't have flashcarts by this point, you dun goofed.
If you really want a walls of grey plastic THAT badly, get your tubby butt out of bed before the resellers do.

>> No.989523

>>989467
>flashcarts
Sorry, no. A collection is a collection.
>get out of bed before resellers
Some of us do more than live in mom's basement. It's an odd catch, I know, but some of actually leave for something called "work" in the morning and actually have a disposable income.
>>989373
Yep, Japan had nice prices on retro games. In fact, whenever possible with my level of Japanese, I try to get the Japanese version. Its cheaper, often nicer boxart, and some games that never saw stateside release. If I relearned JP and understood more kanji I'd seldom worry about the US market.
>>989367
>Vintage
As I stated out, its a new "label" and excuse for Gamestop to go into the retro market. This is their "buzzword" for retro/insanely priced games. I can see it now
>VINTAGE Super Metroid
>VINTAGE Earthbound
>VINTAGE Spiceworld
I can't wait.

>> No.989608

I know my moonrunes and will be watching warmly. I hope Startropics and Secret of Evermore price doesn't skyrocket.

>> No.989653

Hey guys, I was just at my local Gamestop, is $599 us dollars a good price for a loose copy of Earthbound with a ripped label and "Tony's poop smells good" scribbled on the cart in marker? Thanks for any informative responses.

>> No.989658

>>989327

This is the second coming of "Greatest Hits" when FFT was a major obscure game selling for hundreds on Ebay and then square resells it starting the playstation greatest hits label.

>> No.989662
File: 64 KB, 1008x358, 1368078087919.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

rs whole-heartedly, blaming emulation for all their woes.Slews of Ouyaclones spring up (although the Ouya is not original either).

Someone excavate that E.T. cartridge gravesite, and make room for the next-gen.

Oh, wait....

>> No.989672

>GS begins supporting older gaming software again after 10+ years of pushing forced obsolescence
Th-the industry if fine goy!! Look at all the Spybox One p-preorders!

>> No.989676

>>989662
Damn you, fourcat/tinycht, you post-eater you.

...-Scores of parents/hipsters/nostalgia-lovers and greedy entrepeneurs raid every available source of /retro/ videogame goodness. The Big Three band together and send out their army of C&D lawye-

-that's where i got cut off.

>> No.989694

>If you go to eBay and look at all of the gaming stuff that's on there, it's unbelievable. Collector's stuff. We've got to be in that business. We will be.

And then they remember they have finite space for inventory and display.

I worked at a GameStop when they began phasing out everything that predated PS2. They did so because nobody wanted 99% of the bullshit and it sat there collecting dust. Any time something good came in it was set aside because one of us employees was going to buy it after our shift was done.

>> No.989720

>games from less than a fucking year ago
>vintage

FUCKING NORMALFAGS

>> No.989729

>>989347
Probably the equivalent of what you'd get in points (some stupid program) from $400. I got my current copy of SMB1 from a store from one of those old/new places, there was about 5 copies of the same fucking game stacked up, mine was $5. You'd have to be retarded to take part in GameStop's retro program.

>> No.989769

Game Stop will never be the Funcoland that I once knew and loved.

>> No.989846

oh boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lkgUQgjckU

>> No.989843

>>989349
Don't remind me, I'll never get another GBA-GCN cable.

>> No.989849

>>989417
that's a terrible response, you did worse to this thread than any 'attention whore'.

>> No.989895
File: 148 KB, 1170x1085, 1352870063037.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This could be a blessing or a curse if Gamestop handles this correctly. With the popularity of Gamestop and demand of retro games this will make could make them widely available which could prevent peeps on ebay from inflating the prices. But at the same time they could just be filled with sports games or Gamestop will start to get their employes to round up all the older games off the flea markets and ebay so they can price shit how they want. Even though Gamestop can be a dick I really hope they won't be that big of a dick.

>> No.989917

From what I figured.
This will fuck over gamestop.
They will charge insane prices and no one will buy shit.

>> No.989921

>>989653
Yes. I payed more than that for a PCB of SMB without the actual cart.

>> No.989927

>>989327
>Metroid Prime Trilogy
>vintage
GameStop, I admire your motivation, but I hate to break it to ya...

>> No.989934

>>989417
stop
just stop

>> No.989959
File: 289 KB, 1600x900, mmxios.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What the hell?

Xenoblade Chronicles released last year. How in the hell is that "vintage"? You might as well call Borderlands 2 vintage. Even going by the Japanese release it hasn't even been half a console generation since its launch.

Nevermind, I don't even care any more. I retreated to retro gaming to get away from the sheer insanity of the modern gaming scene, and shit like this is the perfect example of what I hate about it. Horrible corporations taking advantage of clueless kids and mislabeling stuff in the endless pursuit of profits. No doubt some naive 14 year old is gonna think they stumbled onto a "classic" and drop $90 or whatever the fuck they say it's worth.

(Not bashing Xenoblade, I actually liked the game, but GS acting like it's some rare collector's item is bullshit, especially if the rumors that it just got a 2nd production run are true)

>> No.989968

>>989959
Don't...don't post that picture. It breaks my heart.

>> No.989985

>>989959
>I retreated to retro gaming to get away from the sheer insanity of the modern gaming scene

Enjoy that while it lasts. Prepare for Gamestop to try and hoard all the good retro games they can so they can pull the same bullshit.

>> No.990016

>>989327
>Unfunny attention-whoring picture
>non-retro topic
>claims not to be /v/ while behaving exactly like /v/
get out.

>> No.990025

>>990016
see
>>989934

>> No.990026
File: 443 KB, 1929x2356, XenobladeReprintScam.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>989327
I'm sure all the games they found just happened to have unique cases which Xenoblade never had. Some aliens must've magically altered the case of all these copies to read Nintendo instead of Wii.

>> No.990041

Just a reminder, this isn't the first time they've done this.
A while back a number of Atlus PlayStation games were reprinted and gamestop pulled the exact same crap.

>> No.990306

>>989959
>GS acting like it's some rare collector's item is bullshit, especially if the rumors that it just got a 2nd production run are true)

It is

>>989846

>> No.991092

I believe this topic deserves a place on /vr/, but sage because the game I'm discussing is not retro.

>>989846
What an annoying display of forced profanity. Notice how unnatural they sound coming out of this guy's mouth. Notice how clean his speech is when he is talking quickly, and how he only curses when he slows down, as if he is realizing that he has to throw a few more curse words in. Sad, Mr. Forced Foulmouth, sad. Stupidity is worse than ignorance.

Anyway, he's right about everything except GQD's involvement. We don't know if they are involved with the reprint of XC. They aren't the first or only organization to bulk order reprints. Stores can and often do commission large reprints for themselves.

This brozo is no insider.

>>990041
Those titles *were* commissioned by GQD, They sold them directly (GQD sold them sealed) and so did GS -- at market prices. However in this case, GQD isn't selling XC directly and GS is way overpricing its "used" gutted copies (the same type of gutted copies they sell as "new" all the time).

GameStop is the absolute worst part of the games industry, and it's NOT because they sell used games. It's because of the way they do it.

>> No.991178

>>991092
My gamestop sold the atlas games as 'used' for about $60.

>> No.991247

>>989846
Subbed to this guy now
Thanks for the link

>> No.991270

>>991247
edgy to the max!

>> No.991275

>>991270
?
I thanked someone for providing a link because I appreciated it
There was nothing remotely edgy about that
If anything I'm perturbed by how incorrectly you used that attempt at an insult

>> No.991328

>>991275
And I'm disturbed that you took it as an insult against you and not at the edgemeister who made that edgetastic "fucking" video.

>> No.991336

>>991270
>>991275
>>991328
stop
shhh
conflict does not exist on /vr/

>> No.991354

What will happen is this: gamestop makes actual retro games available either in store, or in a specialty outlet to replace EB games or any tertiary stores in malls where they have/had more than 1 game store. Or they make them available online. In the even they are available in physical stores, they will be overpriced and do well at first, because people will find them as an alternative to ordering online, and are prone to impulse buys (how much money do you think GS gets from suckers they get to preorder every game?) after a while, the novelty of a retro game store chain begins to fade, leading to them having reasonable sales on the merchandise. this begins to lower prices overall in the secondary markt. Finally, the retro game store/side area will spiral into unprofitably, leading to them liquidating all but the most notable games (basically anything Nintendo or square that retro kiddies hop on.). Those games will continue to be sold on their website, but the rest of the retro games will be dumped after 2-3 years, tops. Then, within 3-5 years of hat, the retro game market for 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen finally sinks s the nostalgia market goes to kids who grew up with 6th gen. Hold on to your gamecubes, folks.

>> No.991363

i almost want this thread stickied. its clearly something everyone needs to look out for before it rapes the used games market.

>> No.991407
File: 55 KB, 500x483, Dune 2000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So does this mean I'll be able to finally get a physical copy of Dune 2, Dune 2000 and Emperor Battle for Dune?

>> No.991414
File: 21 KB, 440x230, angrily disappointed jjj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I was holding off on getting Xenoblade until it got cheaper
>I got it for Christmas last year
>now it's 90 fucking dollars

Damn did I get lucky. It's complete bullshit that GS is charging that much for USED copies.

>> No.991709

>>989349
yeah I was going to say. I heard they destroyed a shitload of PS2 games they've deemed unsellable.

But PS1? Maaaaaaaaan.

What kills me about this kind of thing, is that these items are a finite supply. Nobody reprints them. Once they're destroyed that's the end. I know people on here have a huge boner for emulation. But I like to have a collection I can look at.

Ironically I do the opposite with anime. So I guess it shows what really value?

>> No.991717

>>991709
Any anime after evangelion was trash anyway they should just stop making it

>> No.991723
File: 17 KB, 107x100, 98nn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>991717
Good job! You sound like a native of /v/.

>> No.991730

>>991414
>>mfw I was holding off on getting Xenoblade until it got cheaper
That was a bad idea. Limited release usually means the game will only go up in price. I didn't realize it but I got fucked over Kirby's Return to Dreamland on this point as well. I thought because it was a Kirby game and Epic Yarn went down to 14 bucks, RTD would do the same. Not so. It's only going up. I just hope it's emulate-able on Dolphin one day.

>> No.991750

>>991723
what vidya gem is that from, friend?

>> No.991757

>>991354
>people will find them as an alternative to ordering online, and are prone to impulse buys
I am especially guilty of this

>> No.991812

>>991730
>Limited release usually means the game will only go up in price.
Especially with Nintendo. They don't play around with the term "limited" like others do.

I am screwed when it comes to a lot of LE Nintendo stuff.

sage for not retro

>> No.991834

>>991812
That's pretty much why I buy all the Nintendo games that might be in any way, shape or form limited.

Only one I didn't think to get was Super Mario All Stars's Wii release. Which I don't really regret all that much.

>> No.991990

>>991834
I wanted to buy this because it was an anniversary thing, and looked fancy, but I couldn't bring myself to do it after I found out the ISO is 13mb. There's like... literally nothing on the disc. It was $50 at release.

>> No.992824

>>989846

God damn this guy's annoying

>> No.992865

So, enlighten a stoned retard. They're taking new games, unpacking them, reselling them as used copies for double the price using the "IT'S RARE, VINTAGE" excuse?

>> No.992959

>>992865
Yes. Also they're doing that so they can charge above suggested retail price.

>>991990
A 13mb Wii game? That's... wow.

>> No.992975

>>989846
he'd be a lot more effective if he didn't cuss every 4-5 words

>> No.993020

>>992959
I'm pretty sure the game was literally the SNES rom. I think it even had the original SNES copyright date on the title screen.

>> No.993163

>>993020
It was. the excess data was menu, sound and animation for the banner. and a wii executable to load the dol's of each game.

>> No.993208

Fuck em.

Let's get some modding going.

>> No.994093

>>991723
>Native of /v/

You mean like 99% of /vr/? This is a great board but you guys need to stop pretending you are not from /v/.

>> No.994130

>>994093

I'm from /toy/ and /g/.

Not that Anon btw.

>> No.994225

>>994093
I haven't been a regular of /v/ for ~5 years, and I left about a year too late.

These days /vr/ is one of my main boards.

>>994130
/sp/ here, formerly of /g/ as well.

>> No.994925

>>991414
>>991730
>not just pirating Wii games
If the production is limited anyway, and you can't find it anywhere, and since Gamestop is doing this bullshit now, you might as well pirate
>>992959
NSMB Wii was like 100MB