[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 495 KB, 600x600, 12312336456456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
985376 No.985376 [Reply] [Original]

what is the best dragon ball game?

what is the best pokemon/digimon game?

>> No.985387 [SPOILER] 
File: 18 KB, 381x289, grovyle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The best Pkmn game is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series not /vr/, I know

>> No.985392

I dunno about the other two but the best Pokemon game in my opinion is HeartGold/SoulSilver. It's a remake of my previously favorite game, has two regions to go through, and has a bunch of legendaries to catch. I really cannot recommend it enough.

>> No.985418

I know it's not /vr/ related but the best dragonball Z game is DBZ tenkaichi 3. I still play that game all the time it's the only one that makes me feel like im actually in the series. ok now that thats out of the way as far as retro goes try Dragonball Z legends for the ps1 or Dragonball GT final bout ( not the best but still a good run it's fun to see the american voice actors in that game since it predates the series )

>> No.985421

best dragon ball z game is super butouden 2 for /vr/ ones

>> No.985429 [SPOILER] 
File: 8 KB, 100x100, 5675356.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>985376

Fuck; if i know!.

With DBZ i'll go with BT3 and B3 but those aren't retro so i'll go with Hyper Dimension (SNES) and Legends(Saturn/PSX).

With pkmn...
>>985387

Not the glorious gen 4; and the best remake from all time, all time!! = HG/SS, it's pretty much the most complete and satisfying of all.

And that comes from someone that never liked gen 2 versions, actually i find Johto dissapointing. But the retro is gen 1... any of them.

>> No.985447

>>985376
>best pokemon game
Crystal.
>best digimon
Im still yet to find it.
>best dbz
Either Budokai 3 or that snes one that never got a proper english release; hyper time chamber or some shit. I enjoyed it a lot once putting an english patch on.

>> No.985456

Super Butouden 2 and Bu Yuu Retsuden for Genesis, imo. Never past the second pokémon's generation, so I'd say Pokémon Gold.

>> No.985573
File: 346 KB, 836x1475, Dragon-Ball-Z-La-Legende-Saien_jap_face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Super Butoden 2.

I haven't played any modern DBZ fighting game (except one of the tenkaichi I think, on Wii, it had split screen and you controlled the character from behind), but out of all the DBZ fighters I played on retro consoles, this is the one I enjoyed the most.
The first SB was the first to introduce the split screen mechanic, but the gameplay was lackluster. SB2 kept the split screen, but improved it by letting you jump into the air even if you're close to your opponent, and the overall gameplay is much better than the first, also there is a secret Turbo mode which makes the game perfect, on normal speed it's a bit too slow for a DBZ game (but still good, also you can pull off special moves that look like combos, where you kick or punch your opponent away, it has very cool animations).
Doing the special attack clash and buttonmashing is stupidly fun, especially if you've got a buddy who knows how to play VS with.
The story mode is cool, you get to interact a bit on it, kinda in a visual novel fashion, and depending on what decisions you make, you might end up facing different battles.
Initially, there's only 4 characters, and those are the only ones you can choose on story mode: Gohan, Trunks, Piccolo, Vegeta.
Why? Because this game covers the final part of Cell Game, where Goku sacrifices himself and Kaio-sama to try and kill Cell, so you fight Gohan. If you play as Gohan and you lose the 2nd battle against Cell, a cool cutscene plays where Gohan throws the one-handed Kame hame ha along with Goku's spirit behind, like in the original story.
After Cell is done, you have to fight Zangya and Boujack, enemies from one of the DBZ movies that was released after the Cell Game ended in japanese TV. However, the events on the game are different than those on the movie, so it's the same enemies, but different story, an original one just for this game.
And last but not least, music pays a big role on why this is my favorite DBZ game.

tl;dr: I love SB 2.

>> No.985927

>>985376
Legend fro DB

>> No.985936
File: 23 KB, 512x446, 031020s2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hyper Dimension of course.

>> No.985943

There are some DB and DBZ RPGs on famicom and super famicom that seem to follow the original stories rather well. Never played them though. I think they've been fan translated.

>> No.985956
File: 169 KB, 795x595, quality translation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>985936
Hyper Dimension's shitty fan translation is the best thing ever made.

>> No.986259

Best Dragon Ball game is Advanced Adventure. Best 3d are Budokai 3, Tenkaichi 3 and Shin Budokai 2(psp) which is about the Buu Saga in Future Trunks timeline.

Retro has its good games. Mega Drive had that fighting game that was fine. Saturn had the best version of Dbz the Legend(or Legends as you like) that had a shit ton of characters to play with and glorious soundtrack.

Snes had the Butouden 2 which was good and fun, 3 was a mistake to milk money only about the tournament. Hyper Dimension was good but not as fun as Butouden 2.

Then the rpgs, I loved 3 of them. That Dragon Ball Super Gokuden that was until King Piccolo and its sequel that starts at the final tournament and ends with Freeza. The 1st game was overalll better but the 2nd game had many what-ifs endings. Then that RPG game that starts with Raditz and ends in Namek with the card thing, that one was very good for fans. That special final battle was a nice battle.

There was also a GBC rpg that I never played that it seems to cover all "Z" story. I always heard good things from that one.

>> No.987578

>>985376
Best Dragon Ball game is definitely BT2. It doesn't have as many characters or as much polish as BT3, but it has much better customization, is more imbalanced (which makes it much more fun), and custom controls. And the music's better.
The best Pokémon game is Red/Blue. Maybe Yellow.

>> No.987581

>>987578
Oh, also BT2's story mode was INFINITELY better.

>> No.987589

>>985956

Is that one of those old "LOOK AT HOW EDGY DBZ WAS, THEY SAID FUCK AND SHIT IN JAPAN, AND FRIEZA RAPES BULMA, IT'S SO ADULT AND MATURE" fan-translations? I remember people saying shit like that all the time when I was in school.

>> No.987612
File: 96 KB, 400x400, dbz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/thread

>> No.988638
File: 14 KB, 256x223, 1537screenshot1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>987589
Nope. Also there's a proper translation with variable width font.

>> No.989134

>>987589
>FRIEZA RAPES BULMA
please elaborate

>> No.989142
File: 94 KB, 639x480, 1369760235137.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>987589
>"LOOK AT HOW EDGY DBZ WAS, THEY SAID FUCK AND SHIT IN JAPAN, AND FRIEZA RAPES BULMA, IT'S SO ADULT AND MATURE

The sad thing is everyone believed it too. The 90's were a stupid, stupid time.

>> No.989167
File: 382 KB, 400x400, Dbzhsc11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>989142

Where? When Dragon Ball (not Z) started airing where I live, everyone got into it because of its quirky humor and awesome action scenes. Then DBZ was seen as a more epic (in the actual sense of the word) version of it, and more adults were drawn to it thanks to the violence and cuhrazey factor, but most of Dragonball's "adult" or pervert humor is actually found on DB, when Goku was a kid.

>>987612
I'm >>985573, and while SB2 is my favorite DBZ game, Legends is up there on my favorites too, so unique and cool.

>> No.989186

Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

If you prefer the originals, that's fine too, but I was a fan of basically everything they added to the remakes.

Yes, even the Pokewalker.

>> No.989197

>>989134

There's nothing to elaborate on. Back when DBZ was still brand-new in America and there wasn't a bunch of information on the Japanese version, so people just sort of came out of the woodwork saying Japanese DBZ was really hardcore with outrageous gore and gratuitous cursing. It was sort of a "That Kid" thing.

Lots of rinky-dink fan translations would randomly insert unnecessary curse words at every possible junction ("FUCK! Do your chores, Gohan!") in an attempt to make it seem more mature.

>> No.989210

>either budokai 3 or tenkaichi 3, really hard to compare 2d to 3d fighting
>digimon world 1
>silver/gold
this is universally true

>> No.989230

>>985376
Wow. Goku has some astronomical cameltoe going on in that pic.

>> No.989261

Never played any DB game, was there any rpg or was it all fighting?

>> No.989263

>>989261

actually the first ones are all RPGs, the fighting games started with Super Butoden on the Super Famicom.

>> No.989282

>>986259
>Mega Drive had that fighting game that was fine. Saturn had the best version of Dbz the Legend(or Legends as you like) that had a shit ton of characters to play with and glorious soundtrack.

Buyuu Retsuden was pretty good, I still remember when kids at school were all talking about Ginew change technique. Shin Butouden on Saturn is still my favorite 2D DBZ Fighting game, even more than Super Butouden 2.

>> No.989285

Best DBZ game? Easy, Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors for GameBoy Colour.

>> No.989290

>>989261
I said it here>>986259
Super Gokuden 1 you play only as Goku. In 2 you play with more characters like in the show. And there are what-ifs where Tenshihan traps Piccolo Jr in the bottle or Gohan joining the Saiyans to destroy the earth because Piccolo killed Goku by mistake.
That rpg-card game(Super Saiyan Densetsu/legend of saiyans) you play with every character and you can get most of them to namek without dying against the saiyans(can't remember if Piccolo too)
There is also a rpg for the DS, attack of the saiyans that is good.

>> No.989301

>>989282
I never played that Shin Butouden. At the time only that MegaDrive was released in europe(japanese version+ adaptor and a french version) and The Legend for Saturn was a french version.

>> No.989326

Pokemon: Retro-wise: GSC.

Digimon: DW1 is a classic. But those new DW1-esque games on PSP and 3DS seem fantastic too.

Dragon Ball: I remember that Dragon Ball Adventure game on GBA being a lot of fun.

>> No.989356

>>989186
It's a shame what the did to the game corner, and it would've been much better if they gave you the GB player right out of the gate instead of making you basically 100% the game for it.

>> No.989406

>>985376
It's not retro but Dragon Ball Advance Adventure is fucking brilliant.