[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 240x320, DoDonPachi.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
983676 No.983676 [Reply] [Original]

How do you people play these games? It's physically impossible to not get hit.

>> No.983680 [DELETED] 

You have to be autistic.

>> No.983686

I don't play bullet hells, but even I can see that it's doable. As long as you keep calm and a steady hand, you can dodge anything.

>> No.983692

Mouse or trackball-style controllers help a good bit.

I usually suck at shmups, but I'm most of the way through big bang mini (not retro, sorry) just because using the stylus allows some crazy dodging I never could have done with a d-pad.

>> No.983695

you can't think of them as individual bullets, think of them as a giant pattern

>> No.983703

talons grown nautrally

Or just a lot of practice, but talent definitely helps a lot with the learning process.

>> No.983708

Games like in the picture might LOOK impossible due all the ridiculous graphic effects (the dark blue orbs don't hurt you, nor do the corners of the orbs), but there's actually an unseen grid where you can place your ship at certain times where you are safe. The games are less about shooting and more about finding the safe zones as they come up.

>> No.983893

-concentratrate only on the bullets directly infront of you and to yours side
-do not panic
-move as little as possible
-if you have a moment to breath use your eyes to scan ahead and see the next bullet pattern, position yourself in the area where you will do the least dodging
-look for safe spots
-don't panic
-never use bombs offensively, use them defensively for their project killing power (exceptions: games that restock them after a level, when you have max bomb stock and a new bomb power up is on the screen, finishing off the final boss)
-find a ship that shoots your play style. green homing is good for extremly catious and defensive players it is the ship where positioning matters the least, red forward shot is good for offensive players that can position well, blue spread is a comprimise between the offense and defense and is great for taking out swarms of low health enemies
-dont panic
-approach it in steps. Your first goal is to beat level 2, your next step is to beat level 3
-Once you feel you have a strong mastery of a stage try to never bomb during that stage and carry your bombs over to the harder stages
-the more bombs you have the more liberallly you should use them, when you only have 1-2 bombs dont use them unless you are certain there is no escape
-do not worry about scoring, scoring fucks up your positioning and even if you get a good score you won't get many extra lives
-dont panic

>> No.983912

I don't even focus on my ship anymore just watch the bullets and see the patterns. The movement becomes just like moving your hand

>> No.983925

aww shit getting this game and Batsugun in the mail soon can't wait.

before i waste time and make a new thread in the future just to ask, i'll ask it here:

how do you TATE Batsugun and Dodonpachi? is it in the menu?

>> No.983929
File: 219 KB, 475x347, Dino City (USA)-noscale.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>It's physically impossible to not get hit.
Telling to developer a completable game isn't. Not being in the league of superior cognitive abilities. Discovering in Japan some players have abilities of a gifted child and this so common they are not abducted to secret government facility instantaneously because completed Dodonpachi game. Being 135 in Japan is like 100 in Occident.

>> No.983939

>It's physically impossible to not get hit.

Nuh-uh, in this game your ship isn't the boundaries for which you take damage, it's actually the center of your ship. That's what you call a sprite mask OP and it's what makes these games playable.

>> No.984010

half the battle is figuring out how to dodge while not getting cornered and figuring out the hitboxes of everything

if the game just displayed hitboxes it would be a lot less intimidating.

>> No.984019
File: 12 KB, 305x255, 1340010040764.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>984010
>if the game just displayed hitboxes it would be a lot less intimidating.

Where's the fun in this? Why even say something like that?

>> No.984057

>>984019

because enemy bullets having hitboxes not equal to their on screen size is fucking annoying.

>> No.984063

Read this guide by ProMeTheus, the Western record holder:
http://forum.shmupemall.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=431#p9243

>>983692
This is impossible in arcade games, and if you find some way to do it then it is cheating.

>> No.984094

>>983893
This is good advice and they are the things I follow when playing shmups in general to begin with. The whole "don't look at the entire screen, concentrate only on your ship" is the entire key to playing extreme shmups.

Also, don't panic. Seriously.

>> No.984103

>>984094
That's the opposite of what you should do. Look at the entire screen, only focus on your ship when you have to dodge very dense patterns.

>> No.984212

>>984103
I focus on the ship itself but I still "see" the rest of the screen and any incoming bullets from the side of my vision. I don't know how to describe - I don't concentrate on all the incoming graphics, just on whatever that might hurt you, and I don't specifically track each bullet, just see them all moving at the same time.
That way, I can think ahead on what is the best route for dodging, as I see all the incoming movement. And since I concentrate on my ship, I can make pinpoint accurate movements and complex routes, as well as make last-second adjustments for any stray objects.

If I'd just look at the whole screen, I could only move the ship in general directions, which would be disastrous in something like Radiant Silvergun or Gradius where you sometimes have to do movements planned to the last pixel.

Just focusing on the entire screen is only good for games that throw nothing but patterns at you. Most games shoot a lot of random bullets on top of patterns too, however.

>> No.984220

Don't use continues. Start over when you get game over and play it until you get better.

>> No.984245

>>984220
this
never
ever
continue

not only does it make the game like 20 times more fun but you also get better much much faster since it FORCES you to learn

>> No.984251
File: 206 KB, 649x638, 1370320751098.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>983929

>> No.984259

this thread is actually pretty awesome

>> No.984269

>>983939

Do you mean that, if a bullet hits the side of a ship, you wont take damage? I don't know what you mean by boundaries.

>> No.984275

The secret to getting good at these games is to force yourself to play on a harder difficulty then you think you should be playing at. Also, familiarize yourself with things like hit boxes and tap dodging. I find that the Touhou series is a great way to develope your bullet hell skills and makes it easier to get into other bullet hell series. Use YouTube as a training tool also.

>> No.984293
File: 3 KB, 275x200, scary-maze-game.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>983695
This.
Bullet hell shmups don't feel really like a shmup tho, it's more like one of those flash mouse labyrinth where if you hit the wall you lose.

>> No.984294
File: 276 KB, 640x480, touhou10fs4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>984269
He means the hitbox. The hitbox is actually much smaller than your ship. Take a look at Touhou for instance. See the red and white circle? That's Marisa's hitbox.

>> No.984316
File: 12 KB, 74x74, Th11Hitbox.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>984269
He means that your actual hitbox is usually very small in bullet hell games. As an example from Touhou, it's the dot in the middle of the character.

>> No.984324

>>984294
>>984316

...so they're even EASIER than they look? Wow. I really don't get how people give these so much credit for being hard then.

>> No.984330

>>984324
It has a lot to do with touhou actually, it disgust me to no end just to think about it.

>> No.984334

What happened to /vr/'s shmup general?

>> No.984331

>>984324
So how many 1CCs have you got? What's your best high score?

>> No.984346

>>983893
>finishing off the final boss
That wont work with OP's pic, but yeah. Save bombs, but do not hoard them either. You should not get hit while you still have any left unless you KNOW you will need to bomb in the future (planning like this is fine as well).

>> No.984357

>>984324
It is easier than it looks, but that does not mean it is easy.

>> No.984415

I fucking love Raiden Fighters Jet. So many ships to choose from, quickshotting and medalling feels so good.

This game just feels so right on so many levels, it's the only STG I feel really happy while playing, it's almost like some kind of shmup meditation. How is the Aces collection? Decent? Does it have a good practice mode? The music messes up in MAME when I use saves, so I don't like using them there.

>>984334
Not entirely sure myself. I was going to post my DDP score in there but it was nowhere in sight. There was a lot of drama going on the last I saw, it was probably deleted by the OP.

>> No.984446

>>983676

unlike raptor, gradius, rtype, etc, these games are less about reacting on the spot and more able remembering a specific path to follow through the patterns. and you have to remember that the hitboxes are only a couple of pixels at the center of the sprites.

>> No.984494

>>984010
>if the game just displayed hitboxes it would be a lot less intimidating.

touhou is the cancer ruining shmups

>> No.984497

if the game just auto-bombed for you it would be a lot less intimidating

>> No.984516

>>984494
Just like how RPG Maker games are the cancer ruining JRPGs right?

>> No.984527 [DELETED] 

>>984316
WHAT FUCKING DOT YOU STUPID NIGGER DOTHEAD SPICK

>> No.985612

>>983680
You have to have good reflexes and make quick decisions, which are traits autistic people tend not to have, fuck does nobody have any clue what autism even is?

>> No.985630

>>984494
Lol yeah shmups are only for the hardcore right? I bet all the girls crowd around in the arcades.

>> No.985645

Some more tips:

- Don't be afraid to watch videos or read guides. These games are designed with the idea there will be a community of players dissecting them. It's much like the fighting game community.

-Play in TATE mode, with a joystick, on a setup with good speakers and volume. These games just don't shine on a laptop. It's a bonus if you have a cab and can leave the game running all day, ready to start a credit at a moment's notice.

>> No.985646

>>985612

I think the autistic thing is the aspect of playing through the same levels over and over.

Nevermind the fact that each shmup level is a puzzle/maze with multiple solutions.

>> No.985667
File: 23 KB, 411x360, r-type_iii_factory.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>984446
>R-type
>not about remembering specific path

>> No.985674

>>985646
every action game is has some puzzle elements with multiple solutions
"how do I avoid this bosses attack? i can jump over it or move to the right"

you can replay levels in a good shmup because its not the same thing over and over.
Enemies have aimed attacks or timed attacks that will end up working differently depending on where you are on the screen.

Also your tactics will greatly vary depending on what your current state of power ups is (do I have enough bombs so that I can take risks? do I have enough power ups to kill the enemy quickly or do I need a safer, slower approach).
Gradius is an excelent of example of this. 4 option vic viper plays the game completly differently than zero option vic viper.

You are never really going to move the exact same way through levels each time so you end up approaching each bullet pattern in a different way each time.

These tiny variations all add up and are actually one of the reasons that shmups are so damn hard. Because even after you memorize where every enemy in the game spawns unexpected things still happen.

All of this is not really appearent if you don't play them yourself.

>> No.985681

>>985667
>>984446

Good shmups have both elements of memorization and reaction skills.

There are enemy patterns and attacks that always are the same each time and can be memorized and enemy patterns that are aimed at you and must be adapted with pure reaction time

This is why touhou is not considered a good shmup, because there are very few attacks that aimed, most are just patterns.

>> No.985718

>>985681

Uh, almost all Touhou stages are nothing but aimed shots. The only reason it's worth sitting through them (for some people) is because of the cool patterns which are always reserved for the bosses

>> No.985732

>Autism autism it's all about memorization!

Every activity involves memorization. A professional athlete must memorize forms, while a musician memorizes chords and progressions. I don't know too many autistic saxophonists.

>> No.985940

I have read that credit feeding is a good thing.

You'll get to the harder levels, so then when you restart, the first couple levels feel so much easier.

Although, I usually get to a point where I'm putting in a credit every 10 seconds, or spamming the fuck out of bombs. The game kinda stops being fun then, as I basically feel like I'm cheating.

Should I just use 1 credit? Or maybe limit myself to just a few?

Also, what are your preferred input devices? I'm using a logitech gamepad. I can't quite decide if I prefer the analog stick or the d-pad.

>> No.985950
File: 137 KB, 874x908, 1344408181268.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>calling doily dodgers shmups

toohoo plz go

>> No.986036

>>983680
No, I know a normal person who is very good at them.

>> No.986081

Are there any good shmups for psx? Maybe one that's easy to find.

>> No.986090

>>986081
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/phenominal-playstation-ps1-2d-shooters-shmups-library

>> No.986551

Is it weird to be sort of good at vertical shmups, but suck horribly at horizontal shmups?

I can't beat the easiest of horizontal shmups. I run right into everything. I can't even get past the second stage of U.N. Squadron on Easy mode.

>> No.986582 [DELETED] 

>>983680
If this post were on facebook, I'd like it.

>> No.986583

>>986551
Horizontal shmups are way, way harder.
Bullet hells don't hold a candle to Gradius or T-Type in terms of difficulty. Usually in a vertical shmup, all you'll be doing is avoiding bullets, while in a horizontal one the levels themselves are an obstacle and you can screw up in a bunch of ways.

>> No.986612

>>986583
It depends on the game. Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun kill you with the level all the fucking time.

>> No.986694 [DELETED] 

>>986582
>>983680
If this post were on reddit I'd upvote it

>> No.986701

>>986583
fucking nonsense

>> No.986813

>>986583
I've never herad of T-type
is it any good?

>> No.986824

>>985940
You always 1cc or die trying.

For input I use a mechanic keyboard.
Its about $100 but the arrow keys are so fucking good.

If you use a controller always use the fucking dpad. Having to wait for the analog stick to re-position itself slows you down so much.

>> No.986848

>>985940
It's the opposite. Credit feeding just causes you to go to parts of the game that you aren't skilled enough to play yet, so you die quicker, feed more credits, die quicker, feed more credits, etc.

After you reach a certain point in a game, when you lose all of your lives, you have hit a wall, and in order to become better at that game you have to be able to get over that wall, to become skilled enough to defeat the part of the game that you could not defeat. Credit feeding causes you to bypass this. Instead of working and getting better, you just hop over and keep feeding credits.

If you want to get better at a game the best method is to not use continues. If you lose all of your lives, start over. This applies to every game with continues and not just shooters.

There's a good article on this issue but I'm not allowed to link to it. Maybe you know what I'm talking about.

>> No.986865

>>986848
>This applies to every game with continues and not just shooters.

I should clarify that I mean this within reason, of course. I'm not saying start over Super Mario World when you have to use a continue.

>> No.986910

>>986824
>>986848

Alright, gonna go 1cc forever from now on.

Also, should I just stick to one game for now?

>> No.986930

>>986910
you should stick to 1 game so you can get better at it faster

you should also have some easy games that you can switch to when you need a break (platformers, rpgs, collectathons, anything thats simple and good for relaxing)

>> No.986990

>>986910
I would say that as far as games that you are taking seriously and trying to improve your skills at, don't go past one or two. If you want to play other, easier games on the side that of course wouldn't be a problem.

>> No.987146

>>984293
Exactly. Bullet hells aren't shooters, they are maze memorization games.

>> No.987313

>>987146
Rubbish. You blast enemies while dodging bullets. The difference is your hitbox is smaller and bullet density is much higher and sometimes slower.

>>986583
That's nothing to do with them being horizontal. I can't explain why horizontal vs. vertical would make a difference though.

>>986848
Give us a title or something to Google.

>> No.987345 [DELETED] 

>>987313
>Give us a title or something to Google.

There's a link to it here. Post was deleted so apparently it's apparently still against the rules.

https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/974281/#976068

>> No.987352

>>987313
>Give us a title or something to Google.

Had to delete my last post because the link I gave was wrong. Anyway there is a link to the article I mentioned here:

https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/829701/#849284

>> No.987357
File: 254 KB, 600x596, irritating-stick-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>987313
And the only way to thread your "small hitbox" through that "bullet density" is to follow a very specific thin path. A bullet hell is pic related.

>> No.987365 [DELETED] 

>>983680
>>986582
>>986694
If this post were on funnyjunk, I'd thumb it up

>> No.987370

>>987146
>maze

Mazes are not about avoiding the walls.

>> No.987396

>>987370
The kind like >>984293 are. It's like those wire loop games.

>>987357
That comparison applies more strongly to Gradius or Ikaruga. There's plenty of ways to dodge different bullet patterns in a bullet hell, though some are better than others.

>> No.987407

>>987396
I'm just saying they're not actually "mazes". It's a squiggly twisty path but you don't have to figure out where to go. I know people call them "maze games" sometimes though.

>> No.987416

>>986848

>There's a good article on this issue but I'm not allowed to link to it. Maybe you know what I'm talking about.

I do know what you're talking about and I find it hilarious that you're not allowed to link to it

>> No.987429

>>987416
There's links to it in the archive that were left alone but I've posted it before on other boards and had my posts deleted.

>> No.987434

>>987416
Oh right...

>>987352
Sorry, I forgot to say thank you.

>> No.987437

>>987407

I always did like Ikaruga's polarity system. It allows the game to throw patterns at you that literally are undodgable, yet there's still a way to survive.

>> No.987446

>>985718
And ridiculously easy to dodge, even on lunatic. Man those games are a snore fest.

>> No.987495

YOU PEOPLE?

>> No.987496

>>983893
PANIC

>> No.987552

>undodgable

Dat final boss. I'll be damned if Ikaruga's not the most mesmerizing game I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWxIKj4syQs

>> No.987564

>>987396
>There's plenty of ways to dodge different bullet patterns in a bullet hell, though some are better than others.

Getting to choose which razor-thin path you have to follow without mistakes isn't really an improvement on Irritating Stick.

>> No.987651

>>987416
>>987429
Are you guys talking about the "full extent of the jam" article? Why wouldn't you be allowed to link that?

>> No.987674

>>987651
No. I posted a link to a link of it here >>987352

>> No.987707

>>987674
Oh, derp. Isn't the guy that runs that site some kind of thief that changed his identity, or did /v/ trick me into believing something stupid?

>> No.987713

>>987707
I don't know if any of that is true or not. His articles just tend to cause huge shitstorms so apparently some of the staff will delete links if they're posted. I don't know if anyone's been banned for it.

>> No.988035

>>983925

>> No.988721

Here's the biggest thing about bullet hell dodging. If you HAVE to do impressive looking dodges, it means you fucked up somewhere.

>> No.988761

>>988721
if you have to do impressive looking dodges it means the game is at the right challenge level for you

>> No.988840

git gud

>> No.988867

>>988761
No. I do shmup meets with the system11 guys and went to japan once for a shmup festival. All the best japanese players recommend against the habit of dodging in between bullets, they said avoiding them altogether whenever you can is ideal, especially if you are doing score runs to minimize risk.

>> No.988870 [DELETED] 

>>983680
So you're really good at them then?

>> No.988873

Oh, this episode of STG weekly shows good examples of it in certain places, worth a watch. http://youtu.be/ZZeRl3NXsUQ

>> No.989296

>>983676
i used to believe that too but then i learned to git gud

>> No.990578

>>984516
>RPG Maker
that's not how you spell Final Fantasy VII

>> No.990612

>>985612
Nobody here has the slightest clue. To call someone autistic here is to allude to whatever social awkwardness they have, real or imaginary.

>> No.992024

>>987357
No, definitely no. The op image depicts DoDonpachi which does not have specific bullet paths because it would ruin the scoring system (no self-respecting bullet hell does this either for the same reason). In DoDonpachi there's a shitload of bullets but generously spaced compared to your hitbox, and aimed in a way that you can either weave through with the proper timing or get them to miss you by staying in motion and not letting yourself get trapped.

The final boss in the second game has a sick amount of bullets but nothing remotely like a specific thin path to dodge it's pattern, since the pattern is constantly crossing itself. The only way to dodge it is to try time the exact moment to cross streams beforeyou get trapped between two of them. You can dodge through any moment you choose before this, which is ALL about reflexes and timing as opposed to following the thin path or memorization.

Your whole thin path complaint is unfounded bullshit because you either don't play these games or play them blind without actually noticing what's happening on the screen.

>> No.992335

Why is Radiant Silver on the Saturn so damn expensive? I've never played it. Is it good?

>> No.992752

I just played a DoDonpachi rom on epsx and at the end of a level the game just stops sometimes (maybe I'm supposed to press something?). It also has no music (seems to be common).
Is there a good working rom for this game?

>> No.993029

>>992335
it is considered a masterpiece of the genre

>> No.993186

>>992752
Play the mame version.

>> No.993204

Read this, OP: http://www.mediafire.com/download/uyp9acn4893vxc0/Full+Extent+Of+The+Jam.pdf

Also you might find you enjoy certain shmups much more over others - even those made by the same dev. I can't stand the scoring system in DoDonPachi, but I fucking love myself some Mushihimesama.

>> No.993231

>>983676
I love Shmups, but I suck at them.

It's a funny choice of pictures OP, defeating Hibachi has always been my lifelong dream.

>> No.993352

>>993204

I read that before, and I honestly thought about just not playing shmups.

Fucking crazy ass scoring systems that require absolute perfection.

I haven't even gotten to the point where I can survive a shmup. Stage 4 of DoDonPachi, and I'm credit feeding like a motherfucker.

>> No.993362

>>993352
No one's forcing you to play for score. Not everyone likes playing for score and plenty of people just try to 1CC them.

>> No.993363

>>993352
>and I'm credit feeding like a motherfucker.

Also this is why you aren't good. Stop using continues.

>> No.993380

>>993352
Because you are not good enough for stage 4. Keep practicing stage 3.

>> No.993381

>>993363

I generally don't.

I usually can't even get to the third stage boss on one credit. And if I do, I die very quickly.

I'm kinda tempted to use save states so I can practice certain parts, but that would feel like cheating.

>> No.993469

>>993381
It's a good strategy. I've never played console versions of any shmups, but I've heard that many PS2/Xbox360 shmups have practice modes where you can pick a level.

I have save states for the beginning of each level, and the beginning of each boss. Sometimes even for midbosses if they give me a hard time. I'm working on 1CC'ing Espgaluda and I'm trying to practice each level until I can beat each one without dying consistently. Then I'll walk down the even longer path of doing it all in one go. I play a lot of rhythm games, and it's sort of the same thing. There's a lot of songs in DDR/Guitar Hero/whatever where I can hit every note, it just takes a lot of tries to get every note all in one try.

>> No.993478

>>993469
>save states

>> No.993521

>>983676
step 1: identify your hit box
step 2: stop trying to "dodge" bullets
step 3: start "aiming" your hit box into empty spaces between bullets

It's actually not nearly as hard as it looks once you learn what to pay attention to instead of just succumbing to information overload..

>> No.993580

>>993231
>I love Shmups, but I suck at them.
Our numbers are great, comrade.

I like old ones a lot because they're easier.

>> No.993634

>>986582
If that post was your mom, I'd finger it.

>> No.994490

>>993580
>old ones

Please tell me you aren't talking about Raiden Fighters Jet like the rest of them, you'll break my heart because of how much I suck at that "easy" game. That game kicks my ass so hard that it almost hurts to play it, but at the same time, it's just so much fun. I honestly have more of a chance of looping DDP than I do actually seeing past the simulation stages of that game, but everything is so crisp, I can't stop playing it!

>> No.994556

I'll tell you what is impossible, Dino Riki
The only NES shmup I could never come close to completing

>> No.994774

>>993580
>I like old ones a lot because they're easier.
It's true, I'd sooner beat a PC-98 Touhou before reaching midway a Windows one.

Except maybe Story of Eastern Wonderland

>> No.994782

>>993580

As much as I suck at 90's shotoers, I suck even more at 80's shooters.

I think the older ones like Gradius and R-Type require a lot more precision.

I can't even get to the first fucking boss on Gradius.

And I tried out some NES shooters since I thought they'd be kinda easy, and fuck no they're not. Guardian Legend, Zanac, Recca, all of them ravage my asshole.

>> No.994808

>>994774
PC-98 Touhou games are much easier compared to the windows games. Except for PoDD, that shit is brutal on Lunatic unless you're very talented.

>>994782
I've never seen the second stage of Gradius III arcade in a full run. I love how the SNES version is so much easier and more relaxing, must be the slowdown.

>> No.994829

>>994782
gun nac is easier
also play blazing lazers

>> No.994847

>>993469
I've always just made a save state at the beginning of each level and at the beginning of each boss. I don't even like to use them very often because it feels empty to grind the same section over and over again.

However, for DoDonPachi, I can make an exception because fuck chaining. I want to make those stages my bitch for the countless hours of grief I've spent dropping chains and resetting deep into the runs because of dropped chains. I want to get revenge on this game, regardless of how long it takes me. A simple clear with C-S is not enough, instead I must dissect this game further by learning everything it has to offer. It deserves more than just a bomb spam clear with the cheesiest shot type in the game, it's possibly the only game that I dislike playing so much that I actually enjoy it at the same time.

>> No.996736

>>988721
>If it's fun to watch, you're doing it wrong

You'd fit right in with the guys at Speed Demos Archive.

>> No.996758

>>996736

If you're playing for score, you don't want to take any unnecessary chances.

So, if a player is forced to do some long dodge through a whole bunch of bullets, it's because they were in a position they shouldn't have been in.

Just saying. You wouldn't want to ruin a good score by showboating. Plus, who would you be impressing anyways?

>> No.996763

>>984220
>>984245
don't listen to these idjuts. Use all continues even though you will be weak as shit just press on and find out what the level throws at you so when you do get to that part fully powered up next time you don't get hit with something you are not expecting. I always try to beat SHMUPS without dying once of course but using continues is good practise. Playing through the levels weak helps.

>> No.996765
File: 236 KB, 500x270, battlemania.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love trouble shooter/battlemania on the genesis. Awesome gameplay system
awesome health system
I love the music especially the loud percussion
I love Crystal and Madison they are my waifus

>> No.996781
File: 44 KB, 498x498, boss.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>996765

HO HO HO HO HO

>> No.996790
File: 2 KB, 320x224, BattleMania-MD-SFStomp.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>996781

>> No.996812

>>996765
what is the source material for this game
please
you have to tell me

I stumbled across this randomly while browsing a complete ROMset on my EverDrive.

>> No.997082

>>996812
.....Battlemania. Read filenames in the future. That screenshot is from SeGaGaGa, for Dsatcrame, which will be translated the day after never.