[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 177 KB, 1920x887, 20230417_012402.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9831956 No.9831956 [Reply] [Original]

I beat Ninja Gaiden 2 last night.
After beating NG1 a few months earlier and getting really frustrated with the final boss I finally got back to the trilogy. While I had seen NG1 being played through and reviewed before, I never bothered to look too hard into 2 before playing it. I thought it was a big improvement in many areas. The clones are a fun tool to use and add an extra layer of strategy because while they're strong you need to know how to position well to take full advantage of them.
They managed to cram wind, ice and lightning gimmick stages all in one game without making them infuriating, as opposed to the straightforward stages in 1 this felt weirdly refreshing. The cutscenes remain very charming and are by far the best on the NES, they look awesome and I was surprised to see they got a chick being impaled with a sword through Nintendo's censors.

Well, you can imagine how upset I was when I found out these motherfuckers pulled the same bullshit with the 3 phase final boss that sends you back 2 stages when you die. Seems like they really leaned into the bullshit for the classic NG trilogy, it wasn't something exclusive to the 3D reboot. Again, it soured my experience enough to the point the victory didn't feel super sweet at the end, I was just kind of glad it was over. Fuck Jaquio and fuck Tecmo. I can also say without a shadow of a doubt Ninja Gaiden birds are the worst enemy in videogame history. I've beaten the Castlevania trilogy and can easily say it's quite easier than the NG trilogy, and I haven't even played NG3 yet. I am familiar with the final fuck you bullshit they pulled with the US release of 3 with you taking double damage from everything and having limited continues. When I get to it I won't puss out and play JP's version. Should I expect the same final boss bamboozle for the final game?
What's the last game you've beaten, what do you have to say about it?

>> No.9831971

>>9831956
The way I see it it's not the US version that has double damage, it's the JPN version that has half damage.

The JPN version is a joke: against most if not all bosses you can just tank hits, spam the attack button, and win. People who claim that's how the game was intended just haven't played the two versions, if either, and repeat memes they heard.
NG3 US isn't even that hard, in the end it's eaasier than 1 and 2. The only real deal is the finite continues, but even then the game doesn't pull shit like "spawn bird right in your face in the middle of a jump", you always have time to react, unlike in 1 and 2, so it's a lot more fair.

It is still acceptable to play the JPN version, but only as long you acknowledge you're playing the easy difficult as preparation for the normal difficulty.

>> No.9831979
File: 2.92 MB, 4624x2136, 20220330_210842.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9831971
I have no desire to play the JP version. As far as I know people in JP complained at the time the NG3 was easy as fuck after the previous games. Sure it was made harder in the US because of rentals but the original by itself was too easy, so they did some rushed tuning before releasing it over here. I assume they just overcompensated it by having limited continues when it really wasn't necessary.

>> No.9831980
File: 1.40 MB, 2272x1574, challenge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9831979
>Sure it was made harder in the US because of rentals

You don't know that. In the west players wanted a challenge, and games would get better score if they were more difficult. Meanwhile in Japan people complained that even the RPGs were too hard.

>> No.9831986

>>9831980
It's pretty well documented that there were plenty of games altered to make it harder to beat in one rental, since game renting was illegal in Japan. It wasn't a universal rule. Mega Man 2 was harder in Japan but the US release kept the original difficulty, they just added an easy mode as well. And the existence of FF Mystic Quest was solely due to Japan thinking westerners were too stupid for RPGs.

>> No.9832809 [DELETED] 

>> No.9834401

The last game I finished was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance I guess, and I liked it. Too easy, AI is garbage, story is charming but light, everything else is amazingly good.