[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 205 KB, 250x360, Ninja_Gaiden_(Master_System).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9813826 No.9813826 [Reply] [Original]

This game is oddly excellent. It is a bit of a novelty in the Ninja Gaiden series. It plays very much like the NES trilogy while making some much needed tweaks that make it more enjoyable to more people. Hayabusa now runs much faster and has more control over his jump velocity. The buggy wall climb has been replaced with a snappy wall jump, the player can latch onto the bottom of platforms like in 3, and also walk while crouching like Joe Musashi, Graphics are amazing for a SMS game and music is decent, but not note worthy. Level design is more expansive and has more tools to play around with. Honestly, it is not only a great Gaiden game, but might even be the best game on the Master System. Give it a shot.

>> No.9813846

I also think it’s the best master system game, and my favorite ninja gaiden game

>> No.9814327

Reminder to play this at 50hz which is the correct and intended speed for PAL only games on the SMS.
60hz is far too fast, and it's already difficult enough.

>> No.9814354
File: 69 KB, 412x1342, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's a SIMS game. SIMS makes some good stuff.

>> No.9814361

Do enemies still respawn if you scroll them a single pixel off-screen?

>> No.9814565
File: 5 KB, 256x224, ninjaga2-52.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9813826
The game itself is really great. Fast paced, good movement, a bit on the easier side (even without the infinite ninpo exploit). It shows how Master System could have wonderful Shinobi titles if Sega actually cared.
One thing that's sorely lacking are the cutscenes. Usually just a single static image with lots of text. The NES trilogy cutscenes had actual pacing, great use of soundtrack cues and delivery some beautiful scenes with less advanced hardware. Imagine if they did something like pic related on Master System' greater color palette.

>>9814361
Strangely, no. And no kamikaze birds like the NES trilogy as well.

>> No.9814580

>>9813826
i have the game gear version. one of the better games on the system. i could never get past that flying monk guy and his level.

>> No.9814594
File: 130 KB, 632x726, gamegear-jp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9814580
Game Gear version was a totally different title. Very floaty physics compared to other Ninja Gaiden games, but very fun, albeit very short.
That flying monk boss is a really slow battle. You'd better save a lot of magic points on the second phase

>> No.9814606

>>9814580
The game gear version is laughably bad to me. The graphics are awful, and the game play is pretty jank. For some reason the didn't even to bother flipping the image when the player jumps, so Hayabusa faces right when jumping no matter what. The music is crappy, and the levels are short and plain. The only thing I like about it is the fact that you can move while slashing. I would like to see this in more games.

>> No.9814608

>>9813826
What a funny coincidence, I've been on a small ninja game kick and tried this out yesterday. I gave up at the part where you have to climb up a waterfall while dealing with screen transitions, respawning hawks, and small platforms but I'll give it another go just for this bit of serendipity