[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.85 MB, 3900x1780, Sega-Genesis-Mod2-Set[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
978803 No.978803 [Reply] [Original]

I was a Nintendo kid back in the 90's and owned a SNES like all my friends. Because of that, I never really took the time to get to know good Genesis titles, so I'm asking you know, /vr/: what are the must-play Genesis games? I mean, besides the obvious ones as Sonic and Streets of Rage.

>> No.978841
File: 92 KB, 640x423, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>978803
Ecco

>> No.978839
File: 1.54 MB, 3366x2100, E-SWAT - City Under Siege.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Check out ESWAT by Sega. It's a pretty cool game where you start out as a normal cop and your character gradually gets upgraded with more mech stuff as you progress.

>> No.978846

These Racketboy articles are good for when you're new to a console:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best-sega-genesis-games-hidden-gem
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/genesis/best-games-that-defined-sega-genesis-megadrive

>> No.978849
File: 12 KB, 320x224, Ristar_final.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ristar is a great game, weird as hell, but really enjoyable. Ecco the Dolphin is about the same. Genesis had a lot of great shooters like R-Type or Gunstar Heroes as well. Road Rash is absolutely a racing must have.

>> No.978858

Definitely try Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker. Crazy premise and it's actually a pretty good game.

>> No.978860
File: 311 KB, 850x1210, 136458468378.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Road Rash 1, 2, 3
Quackshot
Gaiares
Wonderboy series
Toejam & Earl
Bio Hazard series
Junkers High
Golden Axe 3

>> No.978889
File: 1.97 MB, 320x224, anim02.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not sure what's "obvious" to you, OP.
So I'm just going to type whatever comes to mind that ain't Sonic or SoR and hasn't already been mentioned.

Twinkle Tale
Ranger X
Rocket Knight Adventures
Castlevania Bloodlines
Contra: Hard Corps
Dynamite Headdy
Gunstar Heroes
Alien Soldier
McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure
Panorama Cotton
Shinobi III
Pulseman
Comix Zone
Red Zone
Sub-Terrania
Elemental Master
Shadowrun
Shining Force

>> No.978894

I disagree with Ecco. I like both games, they are awesome in most ways, except the gameplay. That actually kinda sucks. One of the few game where I'd recommend to watch a let's play or even better longplay video. If you don't care if they are unfair, hard and tendious then go for them.

Also

-World of Illusion (grab a friend!)
-Dynamide Headdy
-Super Hang-On
-Columns
-Comix Zone
-Contra: Hard Corps
-Gain Ground
-ToeJam & Earl games
-Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars (trust me. grab a friend)
-Ren & Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention (also with a friend)

>> No.978891

>>978849
road rash is the best 16 bit racing game by far, then micro machines

>> No.978910

Ristar, Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Mcdonalds Treasure, Golden Axe, Comix Zone, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster(its sequel), Phantasy Star, Shinoboi, Shining Force, Toy Story, disney games(alladin, lion king, MickeyMania, etc), Castlevania, Hang-on, Dr.Robotnik's mean bean machine(basically puyo puyo), Micromachines military, road rash, ecco, space harrier, outrun, spiderman games, tmhturtles hyperstone, beyond oasis, etc

>>978839
This game was a great surprise for me in that Sonic Collection for the Ps360.

>> No.979834

>>978803
Cotton
Fire Shark
Truxton
Gynoug
Alien Soldier
Gunstar Heroes
Gaiares
Thunder Force 3
Thunder Force IV

>> No.979880

>>978803

Shining Force 2 is my favorite game on it, Shining Force is very good too

the Ecco games are very fun

If you like SPORTS there was a shit ton of great diversions

Streets of Rage 2, Shinobi 3, Strider, Pirates Gold, Dune 2, Micro Machines 96, General Chaos, Gunstar Heroes and Lightening Force are all really good

Also Sonic, it's not my thing but a lot of people seem to like it

>> No.979903

If you are looking to buy it and have a PS3 or 360 then look for Sonic's ultimate genesis collection. While its missing a few really good titles it still an amazing collection. Plus has some Master System games you might be into.

>> No.979920

Lot of amazing stuff in this thread. I just wanted to mention M.U.S.H.A.

My personal favorite Genesis game is Rocket Knight Adventures.

>> No.979941

Shaq Fu

>> No.979942

Fire Shark

>> No.979947

Vector man 1&2

Master System games