[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 493 KB, 1062x859, 1365438704192.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9781481 No.9781481 [Reply] [Original]

>"These classic retro games are too hard for me, therefore I'll call them crappy games!"
Why is current /vr/ like that now?

>> No.9781489

holy moly is that rocket raccoon?

>> No.9781501

Fuck he is so hot....

>> No.9781505

>>9781481
Furfag

>> No.9781506

>>9781489
Lol @ zoom-zoom! It's not him, it's his father. Know the classics better before posting here.

>> No.9781527

>>9781505
Obsessed. This game comes from a time where furfags and their retarded conventions weren't a thing. Furfags ruined my childhood.

>> No.9781586

>>9781527
From before the 1980s?

>> No.9781671

>>9781481
Because oldfags don't have the time to grind out the difficult segments. So essentially unenjoyable.

>> No.9781742
File: 1.90 MB, 546x400, 7.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9781750 [DELETED] 

>>9781742
Reddit cringe, zoomer.

>> No.9781808

>>9781742
Yes, but also no. By investing this much effort you've "lost" this contest, you see. Being genuine is losing. Putting effort into something is losing. This is where "u mad" got us. This is their version of "u mad".

>> No.9781990

>>9781808
The trick is to not bother with them and go do something else.

>> No.9781993

IT'S PAYBACK TIME-IME

>> No.9782021

>>9781481
I am fairly certain that Rise of the Robots is literal shovelware. Only difference is that it cost a lot of money compared to other titles out there.

>> No.9782032
File: 205 KB, 1280x448, HARD Corps.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9781481
Maybe the best example for your argument wouldn't be posting a character from a game that was intentionally made much harder by removing the life bar and making everything in the game one-hit deaths in the US version.

>> No.9782060

>>9781742
Desu

>> No.9782068

>>9781742
wish people would stop turning my posts into copypasta memes, I said that with passion you know

>> No.9782093

>>9781481
>Why
Because /vr/ is casuals and normies. And those have always been like that.

>> No.9782226

>>9781481
who's the knotty hottie?

>> No.9782328
File: 1.40 MB, 2272x1574, challenge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9782032
>implying Contra was supposed to have a life bar

More like it was made easier for the casual Japanese players

>> No.9782331

>>9782328
Based challenge seeker.

>> No.9782337

>>9781481
>"These classic retro games are too hard for me, therefore I'll call them crappy games!"

Actually it's more like

>These classic retro games are too hard for me, I'll use cheat using savestates and whatnot and tell myselves it's not cheating using whatever is the trendy excuse for that

>> No.9782339

>>9782032
The real mystery is why anyone would choose the worst character in either version.

>> No.9782351

>>9782339
>he didn't 1CC every ending with every character

You did not beat the game

>> No.9782612

>>9782328
Right "challenge". We made a 20 minute game, but localizers complained it's too short. To lengthen it we made just made sure everything one shots you. So it will have great "lastability" which is not even a word.

>> No.9782641

>>9782021
>rise of the robots
Fuckinh based. It's a good game And it constantly filtered retards who can't bear losing to get better at a game

>> No.9782958

>>9781586
Furfags were niche of a niche back in the 90s 99.9% of the population was blissfully unaware of their existence

>> No.9782972

>>9782612
Although this definitely happens in many localizations, Contra HC is a weird example. It's always been a series where dying kills you.

>> No.9783151

>>9782068
>passion
Gaaaaaay!

>> No.9783196

It takes so little to derail a /vr/ thread, very entertaining.

>> No.9783237

>These classic retro games are too boring for me, therefore I'll call them crappy games
ftfy

>> No.9783270

>>9782328
Yes, because if it's anything the Japanese gaming public is known for, it's being casuals that can't handle a challenge.

Certainly has nothing to do with how many US versions of games were intentionally made much harder than intended to combat rental stores being legal there while being illegal in Japan.

>> No.9783272

>>9782641
>It's a good game

HAHAHAAHAH no

>> No.9783287

>>9783270
>Yes, because if it's anything the Japanese gaming public is known for, it's being casuals that can't handle a challenge.

Actually yes, the average player in the west played mostly action games, the average player in Japan was into RPGs. All your favourite cult action games? They got mid ranking in Japan, hell Contra Hard Corps got 24/40 in Famitsu, lower than in the west.

There are also interviews of devs explaining just that, that Japanese players were more into a casual play while the western player seeked a challenge.

"Rentals" is an explanation, but it was marginal and it's an overblown explanation and definitely not the number one reason. It's overblown because, firstly, these days "player looking for a challenge" shifted from being the norm to being a completely alien concept, so it's hard for people to understand that (like you, despite the sample of proof I just provided) and two, because people like to think one simple thing can explain it all, it reassures them and make they feel like they have a grasp on the world. Point being thinking "rentals" is the entire reason why games were more challenging is like saying immigrants is the cause of all your nations problems.

>> No.9783290

>>9783270
This.
In life, whenever something pisses you off, in most cases it's because of money.

>> No.9783507

>>9783287
>Actually yes, the average player in the west played mostly action games, the average player in Japan was into RPGs. All your favourite cult action games? They got mid ranking in Japan, hell Contra Hard Corps got 24/40 in Famitsu, lower than in the west.

Ah yes, all those RPG arcades that Japan was known for, forgot about those. Japanese kids at a cabinet for hours playing Dragon Warrior.

You are touched in the head if you think all the Japanese played are RPGs.

>"Rentals" is an explanation, but it was marginal and it's an overblown explanation

No, it's THE explanation. Making them harder outside of Japan, the only country that banned rentals, was a direct response to combat rentals because most games outside of ironically RPGs were less than an hour in length back then. Once games could be made several hours without being an RPG and even needed save features to be standard to complete them the difficulty dropped drastically and the practice of making them harder outside of Japan also became far less common. If anything, it was the European regions that started getting extra-hard modes like Konami tended to do, mostly because the games came out there much later and had time to add additional content.

>It's overblown because, firstly, these days "player looking for a challenge" shifted from being the norm to being a completely alien concept

Bull
Fucking
Shit

Look at all the soulsborne and rougelikes that are everywhere these days. Players don't want a challenge my ass.

>and two, because people like to think one simple thing can explain it all

You mean like your "Japanese people just play RPGs" explanation?

>> No.9783936

>>9783287
Western versions aren't even designed properly. Everything doing same amount of damage or one shotting you isn't good design, but rather it's a cheap and a fast way to get around rentals. They simply didn't want you to reach to end. That's it. As for "challenge", You can always add your own challenge to a game when you get good. There isn't any special meaning to playing beginning stages for that.

>> No.9783942

Japanese shmup players use autofire and rightfully call any game that doesn't have autofire, shit.
They also have the highest scores across the board, while westerners who refuse to use autofire achieve much less.
So much for "difficulty".

>> No.9783957

>>9783942
And if you don't use autofire and play on pad (like most western players do) you will injure your self.

>> No.9784005

>>9781742
Ok söyacula

>> No.9784063

>>9782328
It's challenging to have sex with a cactus too, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.

>> No.9784621

>>9783272
t never got past crusher or sentry

>> No.9784623 [DELETED] 

>>9781481
https://youtu.be/1sFyrfqTdcg

>> No.9784631

>>9783507
We're not talking about arcades there, of course it doesn't apply because you don't shell out 60 bucks to buy an arcade game. The point with RPGs being in Japan if you wanted length for your buck, you bought an RPG; in the west you couldn't do that as much.
Also because to be an avid arcade player you gotta be a good player to begin with.

>No, it's THE explanation.
Yeah right, let's dismiss all the marketing from the 80's to the mid 90's that showed "challenge" as a selling point. Or magazines giving higher score to games that were more challenging, and saying things like "it would score higher if it was harder" for easy games. (two things that were exclusive to the west and Japan didn't do)
Totally NOT related; it's ENTIRELY the big bad boggeyman; meaning that yes, according to you, in a post gaming crash era, the entire industry's business practice was "Let's just fuck with the player!". That is just what people tell themselves when they get a game over screen in an old game just saw they feel better about themselves, instead of playing the games like intended: sucking it up, getting good, and enjoying that.

>>9784063
>>9783936
You don't deserve old games

>> No.9784735

>>9783196
The video game boards are perpetually horny for nonhuman characters

>> No.9784807

>>9781481
A lot of games were, by the developers' own admission, purposely made hard to keep kids from beating them in a weekend rental. It's objectively artificial difficulty.
Rentals were a bigger problem in the US, hence the removed life bars in Hard Corps US. There was no other reason for it. No balance adjustments. Nothing.
If a game is hard but balanced, that's fine. But a lot of games weren't.

>> No.9784856

>>9784631
>The point with RPGs being in Japan if you wanted length for your buck, you bought an RPG; in the west you couldn't do that as much.

So basically, they had an incentive to artificially inflate how long it takes to beat a game outside of Japan because there was less RPGs released outside of it.

In other words, insane "they just play RPGs" argument or not, there was incentive for publishers to alter the game to be harder than intended so it takes longer to beat outside of Japan.

Thank you for admitting I was right.

>Yeah right, let's dismiss all the marketing from the 80's to the mid 90's that showed "challenge" as a selling point.

I see that braindead marketing worked on you. Of course they advertise that, it was a selling point to try to drum up "Ha ha, you cant beat me!", the world has a perception that you are better for overcoming a harder obstacle. It's the same shit when you see fast food joints advertise how insanely, crazy, super-hit spicy their menu items are... and then there is barely a pinch of pepper in them. They know most people would not be able to handle it if it was actually as spicy as advertised. Look at all all those simple online flash games that let you upload custom levels that are flooded with levels named something like "99.99% impossible" when almost all of them can be beaten in about a minute of attempts.

>That is just what people tell themselves when they get a game over screen in an old game just saw they feel better about themselves, instead of playing the games like intended: sucking it up, getting good, and enjoying that.

Playing the games as in intended? You mean like how Hard Corps was originally designed with a life bar?

So glad you agree with me yet again.

>> No.9786449

>>9781481
its one.mentally ill man who has been posting salty contrarian bait for years

>> No.9786797

>>9784856
>Thank you for admitting I was right.

The entire point is that you think they did that to "fuck with the player", when everything points out that, for the most part, they did that to please the players. And you dismiss all the proof to that and talk out of your ass just because you read somewhere about a game or two admitting to be more difficult because of "rentals", assumed this applies to literally every game ever, and now it hurts to admit to yourself you would ever be wrong.

>> No.9786824

>>9784856
>You mean like how Hard Corps was originally designed with a life bar?

This is the worst example you could give because it shows how little you think. Seriously, Contra, with a life bar. And you say "originally" when, even though release schedules tended to take longer overseas, the first version released was the US version without a life bar.

Considering that it's missing an entire ending, the version of the game that is the earliest is most likely the PAL version (no life bar)

I know there are magazine showing preview with a lifebar but that just means they were given the Japanese version to test like in many other cases. That doesn't mean they weren't working on the other versions at the same time or that it wasn't planned from the start.

Contra was always better recieved in the west than in Japan, the lifebar and the infinite continues should precisely be taken as a mean to try and get a broader audiance in Japan, for the players who, unlike in the west, weren't into challenge.

>> No.9786878
File: 119 KB, 599x480, Japanese Hate Challenge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9786797
>The entire point is that you think they did that to "fuck with the player"

Umm, no, as multiple people stated, they did it to make the game take longer to beat to combat rentals.

>>9786824
>This is the worst example you could give because it shows how little you think.

>"This example destroys my argument so I will just whine and call it bad"

>Seriously, Contra, with a life bar.

Correct, Contra with a life bar. That's exactly how they designed Hard Corps. And then for the international versions they removed it to make the game harder to combat rentals. This was hardly a new thing for Konami, look at Castlevania 3. Also, OP's image is a character from Hard Corps while whining about lack of challenge so of course that was pointed out. Do try to keep up.

>Considering that it's missing an entire ending, the version of the game that is the earliest is most likely the PAL version (no life bar)

Do you have any idea how pathetic you sound when you try to argue that Probotector came first? Yes, clearly the game by a Japanese dev located in Japan was designed with the characters "A robot", "A robot", "a wolf robot", and "a tiny robot" first and then these were retro-fitted into a human man, human woman, werewolf, and robot later. Despite how Gryzor/Contra was made first originally, they then decided to make an original Probotector game, with characters that don't make sense, and then retro-fit it into a game whose design does make sense and then randomly added a life bar that the UI happened to have perfect room for.

You aren't even TRYING to troll at this point.

>I know there are magazine showing preview with a lifebar but that just means they were given the Japanese version to test like in many other cases.

In fact, you're pretty much just trolling yourself now by just further presenting evidence against your argument.

>a broader audiance in Japan, for the players who, unlike in the west, weren't into challenge.

Image Related

>> No.9786885

>>9781481
>Why is current /vr/ like that now?
The world is fucked up in general. It was only good for a brief period from the mid 80s to early 90s.

>> No.9786919

>>9786878
>Umm, no, as multiple people stated, they did it to make the game take longer to beat to combat rentals.

You very well know the implication when saying that is that it would go against what players wanted and how "it was supposed to be". Which yes, is like saying they were making the games worse on the player on purpose.

>Image Related

That is a niche genre aimed at arcade enthusiasts. It has nothing to do with trying to achieve better sales on consoles. This is like saying the average player these days are more skilled because speedrun contests are a thing.

What you refuse to see is, as showed above with the magazines, players in the west complained when a game was too easy and if given the choice would buy a harder game. Meanwhile in Japan, players complained that even the JRPGs were too hard, again and again (Final Fantasy 2 and 3, Mother, Dragon Quest 2 etc etc).

>> No.9786982

>>9786919
>You very well know the implication when saying that is that it would go against what players wanted and how "it was supposed to be". Which yes, is like saying they were making the games worse on the player on purpose.

No, there is no implications here, that is literally what happened.

>That is a niche genre aimed at arcade enthusiasts.

>One of the most well known and popular SHMUP series in Japan

>Still going today nearly 30 years later

>"niche"

And let's not act like the bullet-hell SHMUP genre in general is not massively popular in Japan

>What you refuse to see is, as showed above with the magazines, players in the west complained when a game was too easy and if given the choice would buy a harder game.

No, what you refuse to see is that was just typical advertising BS that your smoothbrain fell for, I have some "super spicy" hotwings to sell you by the way.

You done being stupid yet?<div class="xa23b"><span class="xa23t"></span><span class="xa23i"></span></div>

>> No.9787915

>>9783942
Yep, Japanese games are not "hardcore."
>>9786919
>That is a niche genre aimed at arcade enthusiasts.
You're right.

>> No.9788678

>>9781527
Cope

>> No.9789429

>>9782958
This. Whole anthropomorphic works could be made without autistic degenerates making it their entire personality. Life really was better then, in many ways.

>> No.9789792

>>9786982
>advertising BS

Only a zoomer would think "players back then didn't really like challenge, it was just marketing". Gamers HATED the casual revolution the Wii brought up because it changed the paradigm that was in place since the start.

>> No.9789795

>>9781742
He's literally me, how did this happen?

>> No.9789803

>>9783287
>It's overblown because, firstly, these days "player looking for a challenge" shifted from being the norm to being a completely alien concept,

I think this is the general perception peoplehave, but it's not actually accurate. Look at how the Souls games skyrocketed in popularity pretty much just because they had challenge even though they were shitty in many other ways.

>> No.9789813

>>9789792
Nah it is advertising bs. Gamers loved not having to replay beginning stage of 20 minute game again and again. That started to change with 5th and 6th gen where games have saves and started getting longer. Wii is 7th gen. PS2 is the best selling console of all time for a reason. No need for padding with "lastability".

>> No.9789817

>>9783507
>Look at all the soulsborne and rougelikes that are everywhere these days. Players don't want a challenge my ass.

With the souls stuff yes, but almost all modern "roguelikes" have all kinds of progression elements to coddle players who can't handle the formula that made the genre so great. No one is making games like Nethack or Ivan anymore.

>> No.9789831

>>9781481
Nobody is like that. You build straw men in your head because you're an idiot and you need instant gratification. Nobody in the history of this armpit of a board has called Hard Corps crappy, ever. Not once.