[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 176 KB, 800x800, cvlegacyofdarkness-sq1-1643759178108.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9774675 No.9774675 [Reply] [Original]

Wow that's pretty good. Not "10/10 good" of course but I'm in love with its atmosphere and music. Gameplay is... acceptable enough I guess.
Was AVGN wrong all along, guys?

>> No.9774679

>>9774675
>Was AVGN wrong all along, guys?
Did he say this was shit?
Because I'd say the original one is not great as the improvements on this one

>> No.9774682

I don't know what an avng is but this game is shit.

>> No.9774745

>>9774675
It's pretty good, I agree with basically everything you said about it. IIRC James fully admits to shitting on decent games sometimes for laughs.

>> No.9774773

>>9774675
>Was AVGN wrong
I'd shoot myself in the head if I was fucking stupid enough to ever need to watch a youtube video to get an opinion on a videogame.

Why haven't you?

>> No.9774837

i need some advice in regards to tackling the n64 games

can someone make an accurate statement in detail regarding whether this is "better" than the original n64 one, or just has more content?

i feel like a lot of people use "definitive version"/"more content"/"more complete" interchangeably with "better"

What is the actual better game if I want to do the story of the n64 side of castlevania? I don't want to play both

>> No.9774840

>>9774837
you'll get fucked without a guide going into vanilla CV64, LoD is playable blind. take that fwiw.

>> No.9774848

>>9774837
It just feels better to play
the original game also has a timed ending, which is an annoyance
anyone that's played it also knows how much better the nitro level is
And I swear it's faster to play as well but that may be just me

>> No.9774860

>>9774840
>>9774848
thanks fellas

>> No.9775653

>>9774773
Yes.

>> No.9775737

>>9774837
Personally, I don't think LoD is much of an improvement over CV64 and in terms of difficulty they are more or less the same.

But yeah, with Legacy of Darkness you have the complete package with the CV64 campaign included which you can play after unlocking it.

If you enjoyed LoD, then I recommend playing the og campaign afterwards to have the "complete" experience and just to see how the og CV64 is (also compared to LoD)

>> No.9776241
File: 3.00 MB, 400x273, CV_64_goddamn_bikers.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9774837
If you don't already have one, I'd say you might as well go for LoD. As someone who has both, there's actually things that I prefer about the original over LoD, like the minimalistic level design particularly with the Tower levels, or some enemy designs like the maiden vampires running around on all fours. On the other hand, I think some of LoD's changes really are for the better, including from a gameplay & game design perspective. Original hard mode just made enemies more resilient and added a skeleton or two in places, but while I can't exactly remember everything about LoD's hard mode, I'm fairly certain there's stuff like the bosses being changed up to be bigger assholes including the first one and adding enemies in places while making them more aggressive like those bone pillars in the castle center, and I can tell you that Reinhardt went from having slow, not particularly strong whip attacks to being kind of a beast.

In fact, despite sharing a template, I think the experience between four different player characters is more pronounced in LoD. Reinhardt and Henry will fuck shit up, Cornell is more or less normal with a werewolf form to fuck shit up, and then Carrie is like an extra harder mode whose advantage of a ranged main attack falls flat in comparison. First boss was actually kicking my ass quite a bit in hard mode while playing as her.

>>9774848
>the original game also has a timed ending, which is an annoyance
Reinhardt, Carrie, and particularly Henry still have that. In fact, it might be worse in LoD, the in-game timer runs even faster than it did in the original, I think. That said, Cornell is going to be your introduction to a lot of the levels in the game and doesn't have a time limit to worry about at all, and he's the first player character, so you got that.

>> No.9776250

its better than SOTN

>> No.9776298

>>9776241
There is not timer in LoD on Reinhardt or Carrie
the ending is tied to how many cards you use

>> No.9776540

I like Castlevania 64, but I could never get into this one.