[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 3.04 MB, 2400x2400, Mobile Controllers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9745931 No.9745931 [Reply] [Original]

I've been looking into handhelds recently, as I've always loved the concept, not necessarily to play outside and take something with me on the go, though that sounds useful for things like trips especially, however the reason it appeals to me most is the idea of playing in the most comfortable manner possible, like laying in bed, in a cold winter day, with rain outside and some hot cocoa to drink... I haven't been too lucky with handhelds though, my main experience was the original GBA, but the screen sort of ruined it for me, it was too hard to see. Nowadays I'm looking into these controllers for smartphones, but I'm not sure which one I should go for.

>Have you ever used one of these controllers for your smartphone before?
>Do you prefer those with handles that stretch and give it a horizontal form factor or those that are actual controllers with a slot for the phone on top?
>Is it better to go for a Bluetooth one despite the risk of delayed inputs or with a USB-C one despite the risk of damaging your smartphone's port?
>How do you handle retro emulation on smartphones with 21:9 aspect ratios without it looking wrong?

I was considering going for one of those Chinese handhelds or a used PSP/PS Vita, but a few things maybe me consider just going for my smartphone instead, for one thing it's cheaper than getting a dedicated handheld, unless you go for something like the Razer Kishi or Backbone One which are somewhat expensive, there's also the matter of used PSPs apparently having some battery issues, the PS Vita doesn't have as many issues, it's also more expensive to get, even used. One last thing that made up my mind was me changing smartphones, my old one isn't going to sell for much, so it's better to just turn it into a dedicated handheld now.

>> No.9745972

I've been using a this kind of setup for two years already.
Telescopic controllers like kishis and backbones are much more comfortable than clip controllers, that's a fact, but all of them will eventually brake, be it the flat cable connecting both parts or the USB port, this is even worse on kishi v1 and gamevice.
Bluetooth latency is becoming more consistent with later android versions on recent phones, however basically all Android phones have battery drain issues when you keep those USBC controllers connected.
As for the aspect ratio, this is inevitable with modern smartphones. You can patch some stuff for 16:9 or even 21:9 in some cases. I personally use an option called integer over scaling on retroarch that reduce the wasted space on older games.

>> No.9745979

I always set the phone emulators to evenly scaled resolution and correct aspect ratio, I don't want a retarded looking stretched picture. Not sure what the issue there would be

>> No.9745990

Just use your phone, bro.

>> No.9746064

>>9745931
>How do you handle retro emulation on smartphones with 21:9 aspect ratios without it looking wrong?
I've never seen a phone with a crt screen so it's going to look wrong no matter what, zoomie.

>> No.9746127
File: 1.54 MB, 3023x2269, got_it_from_the_drawer_just_for_you_anon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I only use it occasionally for Minecraft Bedrock and RetroArch.
Cost me about the same as my DS4s did and what a DS5 costs now.
tl;dr it's nice, but given a choice now, I'd skip it for a clip to use with my DS4, because it's not $70 nice

It's more comfy than a PSP and I have no complaints about using it.
I like it, but it's only good for one thing and can't be used for any other platform, which sucks ass because it cost me as much as my DS4 that I use for PS3 and PC, so I'd get a clip-on gamepad next time.
I got the USB one because even on my S10+ with android 12, BT is too laggy. I don't worry about my USB port because as I said, I only use it occasionally.
Retroarch handles the aspect ratio and since I have a PC to play on for 99% of my usage, I don't get anal over the visual accuracy on my phone.

For a simple game controller, I'm satisfied, though it should've been half the price. It's not incredible and if you're picky or anal about details, I'd recommend getting a clip and using a 1st-party console controller. Especially given that you could buy a 1st-party console controller for the same price as the X2.

>> No.9746657

>>9746127
>DPAD in wrong spot
into the landfill it goes

>> No.9746678

>>9745931
Just get your favorite BT controller and call it a day. If you must buy something new check the form factor make sure it is laid out the way that fits your hands. The layout of the Nintendo Switch was so uncomfortable for me I couldn't imagine doing that with my cellphone. But if it works for you then it works for you.

>> No.9747145

I like the idea of emulation on smarthpones. When I was a kid I could not afford jack shit, but out of sheer luck, I got handed down a smartphone from a relative. Way back then, there were some amazing one shop stop emulators for a shit ton of consoles and this was the only way I could play. Since then nintendo destroyed that emulator, what would you recommend to use nowadays?

>> No.9747419

>>9747145
RetroArch is probably the most simple and complete emulator one can get on mobile devices, I'd go for that.

>> No.9748184

>>9745931

Got kishi v1 on sale for 50 bucks 2 months ago because I was hemming and hawwing on splurging on a Retroid Pocket 3 plus. It's great. I ordered a phone holder for my xbox controller from china and it came broken.

I use retroarch for emulating older stuff and it never looks wrong. I'm not a crt fag though. I use standalone emulators for psp and n64 and they look great.

>> No.9748667

>>9747419
Honestly one of the only times I'd recommend it, mostly self contained, free and if you ever want to play on a different device you can take a save state and use it with retroarch on a different platform.

>> No.9749195

>>9747419
>>9748667
Thank you so much, both. This is working surprisingly well.

>> No.9749415

>Not a single one has the Dpad in the correct position for retro games

I'll pass

>> No.9750080

>>9745972
Thank you for the advice!

>>9745979
I feel that in a 4:3 resolution there'd be too much space, black bars, on the screen, and the whole setup would look too wide.

>>9746064
Well, RetroArch has filters, so it helps.

>got_it_from_the_drawer_just_for_you_anon.jpg
Thanks! I guess I'll try going for a cheap one then.

>>9746678
I've thought about it, but I'm fond of the Switch, so one of these controllers with its form factor seems good to me, to each their own I guess.

>>9748184
Kishi V1 is still a little more expensive than I'd like, and I always found the aesthetic somewhat excessive, though it does look really comfortable.

>>9749415
What would that be?

>> No.9750083

>>9750080
>>9746127
Sorry, I replied to your post, but erased the number by accident, anyways thank you for your input.

>> No.9751676

Although I've long since "upgraded" (I HATE my new phone), I keep an old LG Enact for emulation on the go. It's tiny, holds and emulates a fucktonne of games up to PS1 and has a built in keyboard that I use in place of a controller.

>> No.9751785

>>9750080
>What would that be?
Not him, but why the fuck is the Dpad lower than the analog stick? Most retro games are better suited for a Dpad, so why the fuck would I want to contort my thumb downwards in an uncomfortable angle to play games? Only deviants and heathens use analog sticks to play 2D games.

>> No.9753324

>>9751785
I see, you have a point, though some of the ones with simmetrical sticks, while keeping the analog sticks on top of the pad and face buttons, still keep those at a comfortable position, the IPEGA PG-9167 has them pretty much at the center of the pad, it's not too different from a Wii U really.

>> No.9753557

Are there controllers that hook up like the one in OPs pic to large 12inch tablets? Mine has USB-C and i would like to use it like a large handheld while sitting in my confy TV chair.

>> No.9754610
File: 28 KB, 500x500, images (1) (4).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9753557
I think the IPEGA PG-9083S could handle some tablets, don't know about 12' though.

>> No.9755163

>>9754610
Thanks, sadly it doesn't fit 12".

>> No.9756091

>>9755163
I see, that's a shame... perhaps if you keep your tablet vertical? I don't know, this is the biggest one I could find sadly, a shame they don't make slighty bigger ones, this looks like it's so close...

>> No.9756093

>>9750080
>I feel that in a 4:3 resolution there'd be too much space, black bars, on the screen, and the whole setup would look too wide.
they should make clip-on controllers that cover the screen instead.

>> No.9756959
File: 83 KB, 1056x594, 8shitdo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9745931
you almost have it OP
in your photo

there is one major fuckup though
using janky phoneholder "controllers"
use a NORMAL controller & usb-c or bluetooth

my 13" tablet is mounted to my dash
i can emulate anything up to ps2\dreamcast easily

also have a 200gb sd card in there so my entire mp3 library is stacked on as well.

people on this board tend to overthink it
and end up with an inferior choice
no reason to pay hundreds for a toaster device when you can get a used tablet for less or in my case- i already had one that outperforms everything they post. and everything THEY WILL post for the next few years (maybe aside from the steam deck, but its comically large and has ass battery life)

>> No.9757331

>>9756959
>my 13" tablet is mounted to my dash
at this point you'd be so much better using a proper pc

>> No.9758612

>>9757331
I don't know, while I agree, many are using a Steam Deck nowadays, so portables have never been less, well... portable. It's odd in a way.

>> No.9759231
File: 831 KB, 1000x614, mocute_060_gamepad_review_01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm thinking of getting a MOCUTE-060 for an old smartphone of mine that I've got laying around, it's too faulty to sell, and if I fixed it before selling it'd cost me too much for it to be even worth doing really, so I'll just turn it into an emulation machine full time. I've considered some other controllers, but overall I never had one of these, so I don't want to dump too much money into one just for me to end up not even enjoying the experience in the end, so I want something that's cheap, but works... which means things like the Razer controllers or the Backbone One, and all of the other more expensive ones really... are not what I'm looking for at the moment. I'm torn between the MOCUTE-060 and the IPEGA PG-9167.

>> No.9761104

>>9756959
I want a controller that I can mount my smartphone on, but that still makes it feel like a handheld, with a GB/GBC form factor, is there anything like it?

>> No.9761150

>>9756959
the controller being separate is an issue for me. When I am sitting on the couch, I like to hold the device in my hand and play. With a controller I have to lay my phone/switch down or prop it up on something or use a stand.

>>9761104
My issue with these are that a lot of times it can end up being heavy and awkward to hold. If its heavy and unevenly balanced, it will start to bother you pretty quick. This is why I prefer setups like the kishi or split pad pro for the switch. It keeps things balanced and doesnt put as much of a strain on my hands.

>> No.9761351
File: 1.05 MB, 1200x800, 1662464425865296.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9761104
Like so?

>> No.9762391
File: 57 KB, 850x995, Ipega-PG-9017s-Bluetooth-Wireless-SDL109122381-2-59ca1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9761351
Well, not exactly, I appreciate the advice, but while this solution is quite functional and probably really comfortableto, I was thinking of something that's closer to the smartphone, without that gap on the hinge, and with handles not as tall or wide, to essentially make the overall form factor of the whole thing, smartphone and controller together, closer to a GB/GBC, while most controllers go for a GBA/PSP or Switch/Deck style nowadays, as they seem to be the most desired by consumers. I wish something could make my smartphone feel like a classic GBC.

>> No.9762438

>>9762391
I see. Hopefully someone else comes up with a solution for you, my dude.

>> No.9762908

>>9757331
>better using a proper pc
in my fucking car? wtf anon

>> No.9762910
File: 911 KB, 1066x802, 436.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9761351
uncomfortable and top heavy
you wont play longer than it takes to take a photo and post it aka a redditor

>> No.9762935

>>9745931
this isn't retro. get out.

>> No.9763273

OK, I need a controller for
- comfy SNES/GBC and A/PSX/DOSbox emulations on an android phone while in transport, sitting on a couch or lying in bed
- maybe some emulation on a laptop as well
what should I look for in a controller?
How comfortable it is to use controller instead of a mouse for turn-based strategy dos games? How about real-time games, action games?

PS 0 experience in using a controller on a phone, but I tried touchscreen emulation and it sucks fucking ass, and is serviceable at best for some turn-based (surprisingly) mouse-controlled games

>> No.9763324

>>9762935
The games are. Get in here!

>> No.9763632

>>9763324
i dont see why this is a different thread than the "handheld" gaymen thread

dont let the shills derail you from participating in the threads- i post my OG hardware in there from time to time

but until things get cheaper\faster\less ugly
a retired phone or tablet is going to outperform

>> No.9764218
File: 40 KB, 550x550, Ipega-Portable-Bluetooth-Wireless-Gamepad-Pg-9017s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9762438
Thanks!

>>9762908
You have a good point there.

>>9763273
Well, if you're looking for 2D emulation mostly, the analog sticks position is important, mostly them being symmetrical, so the MOCUTE-060, IPEGA PG-9167 and Razer Jungle Cat are probably your best choices here, though there might be others. Of course, if you want a form factor that's more like an actual controller, something like the IPEGA 9017s can work, also other controllers like it too.

>>9762935
>>9763324
>>9763632
I think this sums it up perfectly, we're talking about controllers that essentially turn out older and not as useful smartphones into an emulation station for us, not too different from the handheld thread.

>> No.9764230

If im gonna be carrying a bulky controller around I might as well just carry a cheap anbernic or something

>> No.9764273

>>9761351
Flip the clamp around so the phone hangs in the middle instead of above. Way more balanced and comfortable.

>> No.9765107 [DELETED] 

>>9764273
It's just an internet pic i thought might help, can't say much about it's ergonomics.

Anyway, spoken as a moderate, all things considered, i say we nuke Russia and end this farce of a nation for good.

>> No.9765289

i have an iphone 13 pro max with a backbone (which is the nicest controller you are getting for a phone) & a oneplus 7 pro with a clip on a dualshock, both just suck and nothing is appealing about either way to play. sure, both of these phones are far more powerful than any dedicated option, but it's nicer in every way to just have a spare dedicated handheld.
my iphone handles gamecube, saturn, dreamcast, etc. with 0 issues unlike my dedicated handhelds, but it's not worth draining my phone battery and the awkward extra space needed for a controller

get a retroid pocket 3+ or a vita, and if the pillarboxing bothers you, you can use an overlay (dont do this on an oled vita) or get one of the 4:3 handhelds.
"just use your phone" is bait

>> No.9765510

>>9765289
Every single telescopic controller also has a shit quality d-pad that is in the wrong spot too.

>> No.9765539

>>9745931
I do the opposite
I use scrcpy to connect my phone to my pc so I can play with a larger screen
I have to use joy to key but it works with the few games I want to play

>> No.9765749

>>9765289
v retarded take
>hurr durr my crappy clip on controllers sucked

you did that to yourself
do you clip controllers onto your crt too?

>> No.9765896

>>9745931
OLED, the black parts will just look like part of the bezel
>>9746064
>I've never seen a phone with a crt screen so it's going to look wrong no matter what, zoomie
There's CRT shaders on emulators, even on phones. Not sure what's zoomie about it anyway

>> No.9766057

>>9764218
>IPEGA 9017
I still have one of those somewhere, sticks are crap and it lacks R2L2R3L3, but i's comfortable to use and very easy to carry.
Note that it may not fit most smartphones.

>> No.9766112

Been using my Fire Tablet HD 8 for retro gaming lately.
I sit in my armchair with the tablet on the arm and use a 8bitdo bluetooth controller. I just find it really comfortable.
Have noticed that my fire tablet is feeling a bit long in the tooth though.

Any recommendations for a decent new tablet to use that isn't gonna cost me the price of a Galaxy Tab?