[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 97 KB, 440x241, Star_Ocean_SFC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
974453 No.974453 [Reply] [Original]

I'd like to start a thread where we give opinions and recommendations as to what versions of retro games are best to play.

I'm wondering if the PSP version of the first Star Ocean is worth playing on its own merits/in addition to the original. I want to get into the series and am probably going to play the SNES version, but I'll play the PSP one too if it's good enough.

I'd recommend that people wanting to play the first two Dragon Quest games do so on the GBC because of the gameplay fixes, even if they don't look or sound as good. I played 1 on the GBC and 2 on the SNES. Loved 1, hated 2.

I also recommend the GBA version of FF% because of all the added content with virtually no drawbacks when compared to other versions.

>> No.974464

Just play the psp one

>> No.974472

yeah the psp one is the best.

i heard they're easier now though, since they incorporated the star ocean 2 battle system. so if you want a challenge, up the difficulty

>> No.974504
File: 115 KB, 550x624, Japan_uc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The simple option is to get the gog versions and use the Ultima patcher to improve the graphics or sound. Avoid the patches that change the gameplay.
http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/category/ultima-patcher/

There are however some ports superior to the DOS versions:
1-3: FM-Towns is far more advanced than the rest.
3: NES port is a bit different but interesting in its own
4: xu4 is an engine remake that gives a variety of options to improve the interface or change the game mechanics. Saves are interchangeable with the DOS version.
Alternatively the SMS port is decent.
5: no significant alternatives to DOS+C128 music. Some other computers have mouse support and Lazarus is a fan remake in Dungeon Siege with lots of additional content but that takes it too far from the original.
6: nuvie with FM Towns sound files to improve the interface and sound. It also opens the option for full English speech but the quality is lacking.
7: Exult for some improvements in the interface and the option to play at higher resolutions. The Keyring mod adds a bit more interactivity and an additional quest if you don't mind deviating from the original.
Serpents Isle: Exult again. SI Fixes mod reintroduces content cut from the release but kept in the program code.
8: Pentagram improves the interface and gives the option for higher resolutions. Or just skip the game.
9: Beautiful Britannia improves some of the textures and adds more graphic objects into the world. There's also a GUI for the configuration.

>> No.974587
File: 43 KB, 640x480, Psx2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>974504
Forgot to mention:
2 can be skipped as well. 1 and 3 aren't necessary either as the main Avatar continuity begins with 4 and the later games heavily retcon the early parts.

nuvie is also save-compatible with the DOS version, which is important since it allows you to transfer characters from 4 to 5 and from 5 to 6 to make your start easier.
Exult and Pentagram are incompatible with the DOS saves but since they don't have a transfer option this isn't a big loss.

Savage Empire and Martian Dreams have no viable alternatives at this point as the nuvie development is concentrated on Ultima 6.
Ultima Underworld 1 has a Playstation port but it's Japanese only and replaced the sprite characters with low polygon ones.
Underworld 2 has no alternatives worth mentioning.

The NES/SNES ports after 3 should be avoided as they are heavily cut.
The C64 port of Ultima 6 is rather bad as well.

>> No.974798

>>974504
>>974587

what the fuck are you even talking about

>> No.974804

>>974798
Obviously the best way to play the Ultima games.

>> No.974847

>>974504
Ultima IV is best Star Ocean game

>> No.977398

Real men do not play remakes. If it replaces something as critical as the battle system, it's not the same game anymore.

>I also recommend the GBA version of FF% because of all the added content with virtually no drawbacks when compared to other versions.
Except for the drasticly decreased difficulty, same goes for your wussy DQ remakes.

>> No.977459

>>977398
Real men play without patches or addons on a hardware that can barely run the game.

>> No.977481

>>977398
Considering "increased difficulty" in that style of game almost directly translates into "go grind levels longer", I personally don't really give a shit if the remakes feature "drastically decreased difficulty". Rare is the RPG where player skill is more important than the length of time spent playing.

>> No.978219
File: 81 KB, 600x556, star ocean.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this game really is beuitful on the SNES. It has uniqe environments that I really feel take you away even with it's ( wat would be condisdred today limits) I think your missing out if you dont play the snese version. You have to beat the game twice to get all the characters and their is no new game plus. Soooo I suggest people play both versions starting with the snes one then psp. Oh and also if you havent already I suggest you play tales of destiny