[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 29 KB, 720x492, legend-of-zelda-missing-link-n64-rafters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9718737 No.9718737 [Reply] [Original]

Say the 3rd installment was released as an N64 swan-song in the early 2000s. What would it need for you? Any story scenarios ever float into your mind? How about new items or gameplay features?

>> No.9718743

>>9718737
Why does everything have to be a trilogy? Majora's Mask was already stretching it, no one needed another N64 Zelda game.

>> No.9718747

Some time paradox shit with OOT adult/MM child Links teaming up to defeat Majora Ganon who's actually Bowser

>> No.9718748

>>9718737
It would have been wasted resources and brilliant ideas. People already craved next gen graphics

Wind Waker was amazing for early 2000s even if ahead of its time

>> No.9718763

Because MM is literally a side quest as Link is already in the middle of something when the events in MM happen. It left it open ended.

Anyway I’d like to see a new land and adventure more in line w OoT as much as I love MM. have a new world where u finish the quest w a few dungeons and lots of side quests, only to come back to hyrule and finish the second act as an adult from all the travels to find a new big bad, Nagon, a wizard who has found all the would be sages and sealed them, prompting you to take on hylian dungeons a decade after leaving, but without the touch of Ganandorf from before things would be radically different but the future seems to be set to destruction like w Ganandorf.

New items, like the golden flute, which gives u the ability to use an owl to fast travel back to the first world for items and help in addition to Zelda’s quest u may need for help against this new threat.

>> No.9718772

>>9718737
People were already too burnt out to even buy MM, anon. I love both games but no

>> No.9718790

Missing Link was fairly underwhelming to be honest. It just failed at being something that "fills in the gaps" between the games, all of its story elements were half-backed in spite of the effort seemingly put into making content for them. It just felt bizarre to see all new models created for the monks and 'ghost Saria', only only for both of these things to only exist as explanation for some other game element and fail to be developed.

The set piece in OP's pic is probably the best thing in the game, as it does surprise and disorient you when you find out what it does, and this is mildly delightful, but unfortunately you realize that that gimmick is the best thing the game has to offer and it never develops any more substance than that with the possible exception of the final puzzle.

>> No.9718802

The last Game in the Trilogy should have been a Gamecube Game but we got Wind Waker Trash instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqcyQOgmUYE

>> No.9718821

>>9718737
Turn the whole morality of the series on its head by delving into the sins of Hyrule's past, the bitter resentment that lingers in the spirits of the Shadow Temple, and expand on who the Sheikah were and why they disappeared or rather how they came to be seen as a threat and were ordered to be executed by the king. Present alternative readings of history and founding myths that cast the status quo in a murky light. Show how little separates Queen Zelda from this cycle of perpetual oppression and atrocity, how her throne is soaked in generations of innocent blood. Then give the new incarnation of Ganondorf the high ground to say he's doing away with tyrants and corruption, making him popular as a rebel leader rather than as a mere powerful magician with monstrous minions. Maybe he might convince entire races to join him for reasons of historical repression and grievance.

I don't mean it to be edgy, just much more tinged in shades of grey. Good is still good and evil is still evil, there's just more soul searching involved because it's much harder to tell which is which.

>> No.9718851

>>9718821
I could see that. Piggy backing off that, I could see Nagon being convinced to turn evil because he was influenced somehow from the realm where Dorf is, showing him what could have been had Link not sealed him. Starting there and using anyone who had a bone to pick, instruct the new wizard to seek out others and seduce them who would’ve benefited from his rule. Sealed sages, worn torn hyrule, would make the overworld way more treacherous and not just, le monsters infecting if it’s an open battlefield. You can keep it mostly black and white by having the spirit of Ganon finding slighted people and pushing them to become monsters but w tragedy behind them. Maybe not showing them how hyrule ends up totally swallowed up by darkness and only showing them what they immediately would’ve benefited from his rule. Just spit balling.

>> No.9719059

Wasn't link in the lost woods to find Navi or whoever the "lost friend" is?
He didn't even find who he was looking for, a third game would have to conclude that, at the very least.

>> No.9719118
File: 50 KB, 1160x432, Regions.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's TP.

>> No.9720018

>>9718737
TP was meant to appeal to fans of OoT & MM and features adult link exclusively like how MM had young link exclusively.
The devs have also mentioned link was supposed to be older than the other links in early drafts, so I personally wonder if it was going to be about an aging hero of time returning to hyrule originally, which is how I always pictured a 3rd N64 or 3DS game.

>> No.9720040

>>9718737
I liked OOT and MM quite a bit but I think they got everything out of that game engine and hardware that they were going to without getting into severely diminishing returns, both financially and creatively.

>> No.9720056
File: 112 KB, 297x258, ww aging.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9718737
>gcn zelda
>link has been in termina which is also a dream world
>wakes up in the sea like in links awakening
>returns to flooded hyrule because the hero never came to save it
>finds pedestal of time underwater
>defeats ganon in both the past and future to save both timelines
>grows up to become adult link by the end of the game

>> No.9720458

>>9718737
since time travel was the central mechanic for the previous N64 zeldas i figured that the hypothetical "third game" revolves time manipulation.

>Any story scenarios ever float into your mind?
this was something i thought up when i was a kid.

link is flung into the far future ala samurai jack and has to quantum leap back to his own time. the main hub world would be a futuristic city akin to blade runner or 5th element with "dungeons" being different time periods. other things include...

>link's partner/ally in the future may or may not be a descendant of zelda it's left ambiguous.
>actions link takes in different periods may have consequences in the hub world.
>link would have allies in the respective periods he visits with the option to play as them instead of link.

>What would it need for you?
probably to be on the gamecube or better since i can't really see any of this working on a N64.

>> No.9720601

>>9718737
Twilight princess is the third game, kind of

>> No.9721783

>>9718743
You know... the tri-force?

>> No.9721848

>>9718737
if they did a third game, it would need a time travel gimmick different than the other two. I nominate the 7 day week system they wanted for MM but instead of a time limit make it lax for a change of pace. something like animal crossing or harvest moon for overworld quests but have a focused main quest to go with it.

>> No.9722014

>>9720056
>head shrinks
huh, hylians amirite?

>> No.9722253

>>9718737
It's Twilight Princess.

>> No.9722281

>>9719118
>>9720018
>>9720601
>>9722253
TP takes place in a totally redesigned hyrule and doesn't have:
>ocarina songs
>time travel
>playable hero of time
>shared NPCs

>> No.9722550

>>9722281
>TP takes place in a totally redesigned hyrule
Majora's Mask doesn't even take place in Hyrule. So what?
>and doesn't have:
>>ocarina songs
It has wolf songs, many of which are the same as OoT
>>time travel
Only if you exclude the bit where you put the Master Sword in the Pedestal of Time and travel back in time at the Temple of Time.
>>playable hero of time
So? He's still in the game, you interact with him a fair bit.
>>shared NPCs
Apart from OoT's protagonist, antagonist and several descendants of OoT NPCs. And Skull Kid (or at least a Skull Kid) is in all three.

>> No.9722720

>>9718802
spaceworld demo wasn't that good

>> No.9722757
File: 83 KB, 530x584, 1653557427264.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9722550
>Majora's Mask doesn't even take place in Hyrule. So what?
so hyrule should be based on the version from oot if this is a followup.
>It has wolf songs, many of which are the same as OoT
the wolf songs dont do shit and they dont introduce new ones. a better example would be the horse call because you can at least use it anywhere and it does something but its still not the same. WW is closer to OoT/MM on this point.
>Only if you exclude the bit where you put the Master Sword in the Pedestal of Time and travel back in time at the Temple of Time.
OoT and MM had time travel as a main feature. TP's temple of time is a single dungeon trying to get you to remember OoT like the pedestal & stained glass in WW.
>So? He's still in the game, you interact with him a fair bit.\
It doesn't even imply its him in the game itself, and again he's not playable. ST does show that direct sequels don't need to keep the same Link and TP is unquestionably trying to win back OoT fans, but for aforementioned reasons it just doesn't feel like they committed enough to make it the third of a trilogy.
>Apart from OoT's protagonist, antagonist and several descendants of OoT NPCs. And Skull Kid (or at least a Skull Kid) is in all three.
I've addressed Hero's Shade and Ganon is the same in almost every game. The others hold no water, not to mention the artstyle being totally different.

>> No.9722917

>>9722757
You must be the first person in the history of this planet to complain that Twilight Princess isn't close enough to Ocarina of Time. It's much closer in mechanics, setting, plot and characters than Majora's Mask, so do you not see Majora's Mask as a true follow up?

>> No.9722953

>>9718743
This is a hypothetical situation. There is not actually a third n64 Zelda. Hope this clears things up retard!

>> No.9722968

>>9722917
I'm not saying I want TP to be closer to OoT, I'm just trying to explain why I don't see it as part of a trilogy with the N64 games.
>It's much closer in mechanics, setting, plot and characters than Majora's Mask, so do you not see Majora's Mask as a true follow up?
this is a ridiculous question, might as well say ALttP and OoT are similar so they should be a duology instead of OoT & MM. every other game retreads the basic story (with liberal OoT pandering these days) while the other half are off-kilter.

>> No.9723036

>>9722968
You only said the question was ridiculous because you can't answer it.

>> No.9723069

>>9723036
I did answer it, and to elaborate would be to repeat my points from >>9722281 and >>9722757
maybe you should reread those.

>> No.9723113

>>9723069
I will elaborate. You accept MM as part of this hypothetical trilogy OP talked about, but not TP. You listed your reasons, but never explained why you accept MM, a game even further from OoT than TP *by your own metrics*, as a sequel to OoT. MM has time travel, but it's a completely different mechanic than OoT. MM does not share any major characters with OoT outside of Link himself. It's not even set in the same universe. The game structure is completely different. It has a focus on completely different mechanics. How come you're fine treating a game that different as a true sequel?

>> No.9723171

>>9723113
>How come you're fine treating a game that different as a true sequel?
Because I'm not blind or anal retentive, who the fuck would dead seriously claim MM isn't part of a duology with OoT? Keep denying it if you want but see how many people you convince. TP on the other hand is a greyer case.
>You listed your reasons, but never explained why you accept MM
I did, it uses the same link (its a direct followup), and focuses on ocarina songs and time travel as core mechanics. it also of course uses the same engine & assets, which does bind them even if it wouldn't be expected of a sequel on newer hardware.
These features are shared exclusively between the two N64 games, and they matter more when the context is asking about a "hypothetical OoT trilogy finale" or whether TP qualifies.

>> No.9723207

>>9718763
>Link is already in the middle of something when the events in MM happen
Yes, almost as if he died and is in the afterlife. Like how a dream starts in the middle- no memory of how it started. There was nowhere else to go for the Hero of Time, except reincarnation.

>> No.9723245

>>9723171
Twilight Princess is a direct sequel, has songs and time travel is required as part of the main story. All three feature the same Link. It is officially the third part of the story according to Nintendo themselves. How the fuck is it a "grey area"?
Time travel as a central mechanic is also not shared exclusively by the two N64 games. For that matter, neither are ocarinas. Have you even played these games?

>> No.9723289

>>9722281
imagine saying this many wrong things in one post lol

>> No.9723306

>>9723245
>Twilight Princess is a direct sequel, has songs and time travel is required as part of the main story. All three feature the same Link. It is officially the third part of the story according to Nintendo themselves. How the fuck is it a "grey area"?
All this can be said of WW as well, exploring the other timeline from OoT is just as meaningful as following up from MM, and TP temple of time means about as much as resuming time in WW's castle, maybe less since its just a dungeon among many in TP weighed against the crux of WW's story. That sounds stupid right? TP is obviously trying its damndest to be OoT again, so I'd call it a grey area for being closer, but its pretty cut & dry.
>Time travel as a central mechanic is also not shared exclusively by the two N64 games. For that matter, neither are ocarinas. Have you even played these games?
are you kidding?
>time travel
its in OoX & SS. In SS it isn't even a tool, its empty like the howling in TP, nothing approaching a central mechanic. and the oracles were a side project by capcom during the 64 era, they're clearly unrelated but of course they take heavy inspiration. none of this bolsters TP's single dungeon with a time travel gimmick though.
>ocarinas
the flute/ocarina is in all the retro games, but only in the 64 games and WW let you play songs with distinct applications.
>>9723289
Quit samefagging

>> No.9723362
File: 39 KB, 1847x233, fail.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9723306
retard

>> No.9723716

>>9723306
What the fuck is any of this supposed to mean? It's gibberish. The only thing I can decipher is that you somehow missed the central puzzle mechanic of a full third of Skyward Sword.
Happy International Women's Day.

>> No.9724081

>>9718737
Not possible, MM was already pushing it on the final days of the N64.

>> No.9724286
File: 226 KB, 810x452, the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-timeshift-stone[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9723306
>In SS it isn't even a tool, its empty like the howling in TP
Did you even play the game?

>> No.9724342

Hello OP here
I think there should be an adult link game, and it's child timeline link but he is old now.

You should have to actually go into the sacred realm where the triforce is and i guess ganondorf got banished to. Anyway the idea, laid down in OoT, could be richly expanded on. It would be like the aLttP dark world in that it is a complex-ly explorable alternate world to switch to from Hyrule. But it would be like TP's Twili kingdom in that it is not a mirror of Hyrule.

You could get pretty abstract with it.

Like another OP mentioned, the Sheikah is a plot element ripe for exploration. If I was in charge of making an OoT 2d animated feature film adaptation, which I think I have the chops for, I would expand on the bottom of the well, and work the mystery of the shiekahs horrid past into the story more, and the role of the wicked dark energy that escapes from the bottom of the well when kak gets set on fire. Is it bongo bongo's dark soul? He got his fucking head chopped off.

It would be cool if a third entry had the land going all barren at the end, and its like, it'll be barren for 1000 years, but it will flourish again one day. and then zelda 1 and 2 happen after a millenium

>> No.9724570

>>9723716
>>9724286
timeshift stones are just expanded shoot arrow at crystal puzzles, so no they're not tools you can have and use, you're being railroaded through specific rooms. the fucking stasis shit in botw is more appropriate.
>>9723362
my bad
>>9724342
Sorry for responding to bait OP

>> No.9724619

>>9724570
>timeshift stones are just expanded shoot arrow at crystal puzzles, so no they're not tools you can have and use
They're still literally more direct use of time travel mechanics than the majority of OoT. How is time travel "a tool you can have and use" in OoT?

>> No.9724642

>>9724619
>access half the overworld
>access half the items
>move timeblocks
>change time of day
there's an item you get in the game, I forget what its called, ocarina of something.
a good chunk of the quests require it, which you can do at your leisure.

>> No.9724905

>>9724642
>access half the overworld
You do not use the ocarina to travel through time in OoT. Why do you repeatedly keep saying things that aren't true?

>> No.9725316

>>9718802
There's always at least one retard who thinks this was an actual game that was in development.