[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.89 MB, 496x360, fishy.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9679357 No.9679357 [Reply] [Original]

*belch*

>> No.9679842

While I do have a soft-spot for flashgames, quality wise they're like the precursor to smartphone games.

>> No.9679885

>>9679842
nostalgia. most flash games are just old atari games with a homebrew feel. OP was a game called shark shark on intellivision and that might even be a rip off of something else. flash games paved the way for indie devs so at least there are /vr/ themed games coming out regularily nowadays. not that many of them are good.

>> No.9679925
File: 423 KB, 949x715, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Which is it /vr/?

>> No.9679951

>>9679885
>that might even be a rip off of something else.
I love these fish grow bigger games. I wonder is there a definitive one.

>> No.9680230

>>9679357
There was a game like this on the first MacAddict CD that I liked to play a lot as a kid

>> No.9680589
File: 13 KB, 251x41, 163265077609.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9679925

>> No.9680607

>>9679885

back in the day, I use to toy with a program called Swish Max, which was a lighter version of a flash editor. Swish Max for what it was worth, was a really impressive and easy to use tool kit. Like, I remember making little adventure game demos in it and other interactive thing. I always thought Flash was really impressive with how flexible and easy to use it could be. People still use flash to make animation. I have seen 3D demos with flash. It was ultimately pushed out of the market by HTML5, but HTML5 just doesn't have the tool kits like flash did. I swear, at some point, 90% of the old web used flash. Youtube use to require a flash player.

>> No.9680746

>>9680607
I remember swish! i was too much of a brainlet to use it correctly, let alone make a game so i only ever made shit cartoons with a pirated flash 2004. Me and a friend made a stick killing animation on swish, took us 6-8 hours for about 20 seconds of animation. I later made a romeo and juliet animation for my english class and got 100% for these reasons i still have flash on my current computer and Im prompted to uninstall it every time my CPU restarts. dont care, its staying installed forever.

>> No.9680757

>>9679842
You'd be shocked at how many real-deal arcade games are basically just shitty flash games in a fancy cabinet
t. MAME catalog spelunker

>> No.9680775

>>9680746
>Me and a friend made a stick killing animation on swish

One of the earliest websites I can think of visiting was stickdeath.com, which was basically a bunch of stick character death animation done in flash. But I think the very first site I ever went to that required macromedia shockwave was Southpark.com, which did have some primitive flash games. Though one of the first flash things that made me laugh was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBFKfgLf0LI

It was a good showcase of what you could do with flash.

>>9680746
>I remember swish! i was too much of a brainlet to use it correctly, let alone make a game so i only ever made shit cartoons with a pirated flash 2004.

The type of demo/ games I would make, were very simple point and click things. Not too much, a few interactive screens with no real ending. I use to have a website with a 'virtual fishbowl' that I made in swish max, with random fish that would swim around, and when you clicked on them they would make noises. One of the fish was the Dopefish from commander Keen and it would make a burp sound when you click on it. I didn't do a whole lot with swish max. But, it was a cool application that I would use on my old ass Windows 98 machine. The program was discontinued a long time ago, but still works. It's easy to find a cracked version too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JksnZmSqUo3xvDAoLtvZ-Vr0yJyinB0K/view