[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 259 KB, 500x291, fd7142bd48e17d9e54ed7deed4f36c1f.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9671059 No.9671059 [Reply] [Original]

Saturn and psx had superior platformers like croc but I just want to discuss nintendo. To this day I've yet to play another good 3d platformer on n64. Graphics and controls were top notch but replaying every level 7 times wasn't fun. Nintendo really should have made a Mario 64 2 with Mario 3 style levels.

>> No.9671064

Rayman
Gex
Banjo
Conker

>> No.9671072

>>9671064
I beat Banjo. It has some nice tunes but doesn't feel half as nice as Mario 64 to control. It's also uglier.

>> No.9671075

>>9671059
Mario 64 levels were small enough that playing from the start on each mission/death was still fun. Games like Banjo and DK64 were liked at the time, but I think Mario 64 has had a lot more lasting appeal because it actually has a lot of varied mechanics that give it a much higher skill ceiling, even forgetting speedrun glitch shit where you backwards jump into a slope and rocket across the stage. To this day I prefer starting in the corner of Bomb-Omb Battlefield half a dozen times over wondering back and forth across Jungle Japes with 5 different Kongs any day.

>> No.9671085 [DELETED] 

>mario 64
>good
pick one. THe n54 wasn't a console, it was a toy for kids. THis game had no story, no tenson and no reason to play.

>> No.9671104 [DELETED] 

>>9671085
You sound like you still have PTSD from the gamefaqs console wars of the time when teens jumped to playstation because it had games that looked like all the cool action movies your parents would never let you rent from Blockbuster.

>> No.9671108

Bomberman Hero is the greatest platformer of its generation

>> No.9671134 [DELETED] 

These anti-Nintendo threads are starting to get so pathetic that I'm gonna have to start presuming that they're actually made by a Nintendo fan that wants to make Sega/Sony fans look stupid.

>> No.9671138

>>9671085
>a MARIO game with no STORY
can you imagine? what were they thinking? Man if only there had been an hour of cutscenes and fucking around in the hub world in the start like Sunshine. If only there had been codex conversations with Toad like in Metal Gear Solid. What if Bowser destroyed the castle halfway through in a PSX era FF style FMV? There should have been Toadettes in the castle you could romance with a dating sim mechanic. Peach's letter at the start should have explained the entire backstory of how the Mushroom Kingdom was forged through the Toadstool Wars. Lakitu should have several dialog boxes of flavor text at the start of each level. Luigi should have followed Mario around each stage with full voice overs quipping about the last goomba you stomped and how freaked out he is to be on such a dangerous adventure. What a shitload of wasted potential. Nintendo are truly the worst developers of all time.

>> No.9671220 [DELETED] 

Mario 64 is overrated. It's fine if you're 6, but people's nostalgic attachment to it is the only reason it's considered anything but bland.

>> No.9671272

>>9671059
I smell bait. N64 was probably the best system for 3d platformers that gen, coming from someone who doesn’t particularly like Nintendo stuff. Psx had some decent gamed but N64 had more and it was better.

Mentioning the Saturn as a 3d platformer console? I love the Saturn but anyone who knows the Saturn knows it has no 3d platformers like the N64 or Playstation. Theres Croc, a decent 3d platformer. Then its Tomb Raider. Another good one if you call it a platformer. Ninpen Manmaru, Ninja jajamarukun (the deep cuts of middle at best quality) and what else? Burning Rangers, Contra and Powerslave have jump buttons i guess. Sonic R? Bulk Slash? I named some decent games but they’re hardly platformers.

The psx had Ape escape, spyro, tomb raider if it counts, jumping flash and a bunch of these multiplats. I just dont see it as much better. Im probably forgetting something though. But those are some good games.

N64 3D platformers worth playing
>Mario 64
>Chameleon Twist 1&2
>Banjo Kazooie
>Bomberman Hero
>Glover (multiplat?)
>Space Station Silicon Valley (PSX port is terrible)
>Tonic Trouble
>Rayman 2 (Multiplat)
>Rocket Robot on Wheels
>DK64
>Toy Story 2
>Duck Dodgers (dreamcast port?)
>Banjo Tooie
>Indiana Jones (PC port)
>Conker
>Mystical Ninja
>Shadowman (multiplat)
>Jet force gemini has plenty of platforming for a tps.
>Castlevania by some definitions

If its the big, Rareware open collectathons you dont like try Space Station Silicon Valley or Bomberman Hero or even Chameleon twist. Their linear or puzzle games. But most of these are Croc-tier or better.

>> No.9671501

>>9671272
Op here. I'd play 3 if those games. Bimberman, mario64 and Indiana Jones. The rest are below average trash.

>> No.9671782

>>9671138
lfmao

>> No.9671794

>>9671064
>Rayman
better on dc

>> No.9671801

>>9671272
>Toy Story 2
>Shadowman
>Rayman 2
better on dc

>> No.9671802 [DELETED] 

>>9671138
lol

>> No.9671816

>>9671794
>better on dc

still looks worse than the ps2 version
dreamcast also has very few 3d platformers, you can barely count them on 2 hands

>> No.9671827

>>9671816
Dc has sa1. Better than everything listed in this thread.

>> No.9671828

>>9671059
Banjo Tooie was enough for me

>> No.9671974

>>9671501
I wouldn’t call all of these games below average trash if you’re calling Croc good. Their all right in there with Croc or better in my opinion. The Gex 3d games are trash on N64, the Doraemon games are trash on N64, Blues Brothers is trash. Razor scooter is the trashiest of trash.

It seems like you just don’t like the Rare style collectathon games. They can definitely get tedious especially the ones that go over the top with collecting like DK64 and Banjo Tooie. I would still try the linear platforming parts of Rocket Robot if you haven’t played it, it sounds like more of your thing. There’s a linear platforming sublevel in almost every stage thats really great.

So what are these really good 3d platformers on Saturn and Playstation you like? Is Jersey Devil better than those n64 games above? I’ve never played it

>> No.9672025

Saturn has platformers?