[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 133 KB, 1024x1419, 1623190-shadow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9659975 No.9659975 [Reply] [Original]

>"So what exactly don't you like about the game?"
>"Too edgy!"
>"You wanna be more specific?"
>"Like the gunshots in the menu! LOL GUNSHOTS, already a bad sign!"
>"Why?"
>"Because it's cringe!"
>"Okay so you don't like this one sound effect, but how does that detract from the
whole experience?"
>"Whatever edgelord, you must be 12. Guns don't belong in a game with colourful animals."
>"S3&K had them. SA1 had them. SA2 had them."
>"Um, uh.. SONIC WAS NEVER GOOD!"
Unironically love this game. The only thing it got wrong was Shadow's personality, but otherwise it fixes basically everything about his character and tied up every loose end from SA2.

>> No.9660016

>>9659975
Sonic games have bad game design and are made by mediocre developers

>> No.9660028

No one actually thinks this game is bad just because it's edgy. It's an odd game that happens to be funny-edgy as well. Gameplay wise, it's a total downgrade of Heroes.

>> No.9660038

>>9660028
>it's a total downgrade of Heroes.
This game fixes every problem Heroes had.

>> No.9660050

Shadow's game is like a piss bottle. There's nothing technically wrong with it but deep down everyone knows it's cringe.

>> No.9660085

the only reason people say 3d sonic gameplay (pre-06 i havent really fucked with anything after it) is bad is b/c they expect it to be a cakewalk bing bing wahoo game that doesnt require any effort to master

>> No.9660115
File: 32 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9659975
>Like the gunshots in the menu! LOL GUNSHOTS, already a bad sign!
always a bad sign

>> No.9660509

>>9660038
It really doesn't, I can't stand the clunkiness.

>> No.9660514

Taking Sonic the Hedgehog, which was this very colourful, expressive, funky 90's thing, and trying to reinvent it for the Nu-metal, school shooter generation is itself a very misjudged idea. But the game itself is all kinds of early 3D Sonic jank.
It's probably not any worse than Heroes, to be fair. Just less tasteful, and less visually appealing.

>> No.9660516

>>9660085
Well, you haven't played Mario Sunshine. Because that game can be an absolute bitch.

>> No.9660531

>>9660028
>>9660038
>>9660509
I don't understand you people, none of the 3D sonic games of the 90s or 2000s were particularly good, and the ones after the dreamcast were especially bad. Heroes is a fuckin mess, and Shadow was only improved by not having the team gimmick but is still terrible, and then wants you to beat the shit game 10 times in a row just for the final ending. I think I'd rather 100% Sonic 06 than play this trash. I swear, with how much Sega sucks shit through a straw and can't keep the plot on their game direction, you get new trash of a different flavor every few years, and it starts to feel like there's a new breed of nostalgic sonic autist for every damn new year. What's next, fucking Secret Rings apologists once modtards allow wii posting? Weirdo kids who had a wii u in 2015 and unironically loved Sonic Boom and never understood the hate? I swear, the trash never ends, it just gets higher.

>>9660115
doom did this too, but doom didn't have an angry sonic OC saying curse words as the main character

>>9660514
all of this and more, the game is the 2000s version of poochy.

>> No.9660559

>>9659975
I can live with the edgy meme, game was just jank. More than the usual 3D sonic jank.
Honestly if the game played a bit like spark 3 in the combat department it'd probably be more liked than both adventure games.

>> No.9660563

>>9659975
Edgy the Hedgy's game will always have a special place in my heart but the movement is so fucking slippery and it's a bit of a slog to get to the true ending.
I heard there's a fan rework of the game, that might be the best way to play it nowadays.

>> No.9660567

Alright fags, how long does it take to get the true ending in this game? It looks like a game I won't be able to play for more than 5 hours but if it's less than 20 then I'll do it. And I actually like the art design and 'edginess', it's just that the gameplay looks fucking boring at times

>> No.9660601

Why would a guy that can move faster than bullets need a gun? Can't he punch people faster than he can shoot them?

>> No.9660736

>>9660531
>What is next? Storybook and boom apologists?
Yes.
One day we will have frontiers apologists, let that sink in.

>> No.9660826

>>9659975
Still has the slippery physics of Heroes.
The multiple endings thing is more of a hiderance than a welcomed feature because there's a true ending.
Level designs are mediocre compared to Heroes.
Vehicles don't really add much too the game.
Not enough multiplayer maps.

>> No.9660841

>>9660567
It depends. Getting the true ending requires you to get all ten endings, which requires reaching each final stage twice. Some stages have objectives that are easy enough while the Ark levels can be a real bitch to complete.
Also, keep in mind that this game follows Sonic Heroes, so the levels are longer than the standard Sonic fare. The game even allows you to warp between checkpoints, so backtracking is possible for if you miss stuff for a specific objective.

>> No.9661151

>>9660736
>frontiers bad
lmao

>> No.9661185

people baffled by this game just do not remember how vapid 2005 gaming culture was. at that point the popular fix for 3d sonic unironically was to give him a gun and have him say fuck.

>> No.9661190

>>9660601
he's clearly not even close to faster than bullets. the real irony is that he could just teleport around kicking dudes which he does in the opening.

>> No.9661578

>>9660516
probably why they would dislike that one too. Not as much experience w/ it myself but people who accept the game as it is seem to love it

>> No.9661597 [DELETED] 

>Makes the same shit thread again
Sasuga, mental illness...
https://desuarchive.org/vr/thread/9659956/#9659956

>> No.9661772

>>9659975
I agree. Shadow The Hedgehog is a great game and the closest we'll have to a Sonic Adventure 3.

>> No.9661882

>>9660841
Thanks for the answer man but I chose to replay SA1 instead lmao. Almost in one sitting, what a great game

>> No.9661886

>>9660016
heres ur (you)

>> No.9661895

>>9659975
>>"S3&K had them. SA1 had them. SA2 had them."
At no point does Sonic ever use a gun in any of these games.
It's not the gun. It's the fact that the main character is using one. Unforgivable levels of edgecringe.

>> No.9661917

>>9661185
This is what happens when your market research actually listens to ten year olds, which I guess are the target audience, but those kids were going to opt to buy something like Manhunt when the chips were down anyway, and meanwhile you're alienating people who liked what Sonic was to begin with. Very misjudged action all around.

>> No.9661928

As someone who played Shadow a lot growing up and still has a lot of attachment to the game, its pretty fucking bad for a variety of reasons:
>cringe edginess blah blah you already know this
>does not balance shooting and action with speed mechanics, at all. Shooting accurately means stopping dead, so levels are never designed around high-speed freeform movement.
>atrocious fucking hot garbage voice acting, 4kids dub is completely indefensible especially coming off of SA2B and further flanderize already thin characters
>many levels/objectives are atrociously designed, with extreme repetition, 'kill all X enemies', bad slow platforming with no flow, arbitrary timed missions and 'shoot the fucking thing for 20 minutes until it dies'. You will usually do all of these things twice in each playthrough
>No specific level stands out as enjoyable, nearly every level is some flavor of tedious or outright unfun
>on top of that, every level is visually disgusting. Bad post-processing effects and a terrible color pallette make the game look like mud
>bosses are mostly shit and get repeated over and over to fill out the arbitrary number of missions/routes
>the story is completely fucking fumbled due to the arbitrary route progression, as events and characters do not logically flow together. This ruins what ideas could have legitimized this otherwise very over-indulgent game
>I can't remember any of the music from this game whatsoever besides that fucking bike bell in the first level. Honestly, I'm pretty sure the music or soundscape in this game causes some kind of mental trauma or overstimulization
>Licensed tracks absolutely got watered down. The most interesting part of Sonic Team's temporary relocation to the US West Coast was their involvement with the music scene, but many of the original acts intended to supply licensed tracks (Magna-Fi, Sins of a Divine Mother, Mona Lisa Overdrive) got ditched and we got worse replacements as a result
>the multiplayer. Just try it

>> No.9661936

At a certain point you just gotta accept people like what they know and they know what they like. NGE is one of the highest ranked anime of all time, everybody says it's great. I think robots are cringe as fuck and mech anime is the height of homosexuality. I'm sure the anime is good but it's not for me. You cannot argue with my position. You can say it's retarded and inaccurate and about way more than that, and I don't care, you show me a mech and I'm turning that gay shit off. Same thing with hedgehogs and guns. Yes, it is irrational. No, nobody really cares that it is.

>> No.9661951

You are all now realizing that the Black Arms and the Space Pirates in Metroid Prime 3 have virtually identical designs.

>> No.9661954

>>9661936
> mech anime is the height of homosexuality
No the height of homosexuality is unironically MANime and MANga like Hokuto no Ken and Berserk

>> No.9662027

>>9660736
Frontiers is pretty universally liked for a sonic game

>> No.9662050

>>9659975
it has bad slippery physics, level designs that are too long without any branching paths, enemies have too much health to encourage weapon use, the camera is shit, sonic and espio say DAMN despite that being out of character, the objectives are just as bad as the chaotix missions

The only sonic game worse than shadow, mechanically, is heroes, which is also a game that makes you suffer through the bullshit multiple times, something 06 doesn't even make you do. Shadow has a saving grace that heroes doesn't however, which is that it has a truly hilarious aesthetic and plot which is motivation to play the levels even if you probably won't ever want to do it again.

>>9662027
>>9661151
frontiers is on exactly the same tier as the 3D sonic games of the 00's, it's no wonder they both have defenders. dumb kiddos slurping down garbage is the lifeline that keeps this series going forever.

>> No.9662097

>>9661928
The multiplayer mode is actually the most fun part of the game for me.
Running around trying to hunt down the other person is fun, and the gun play actually gets a chance to shine if you can position yourself strategically and have a shoot out.
I wish there were more multiplayer maps.

>> No.9662117

>>9662050
Go ahead anon, tell us Forces is a good game.

>> No.9662284

>>9659975
If the game actually was enjoyable, the edge would be fun.

>> No.9662289

>>9660085
Why would i even replay levels after i beat them if they were not fun the first time?

>> No.9662293

>>9660038
Why does it control even worse than Heroes then?

>> No.9662297
File: 2.72 MB, 400x230, 1455961312062(1).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9662050
>it has bad slippery physics, level designs that are too long without any branching paths, enemies have too much health to encourage weapon use
Completely untrue. The gun lock on is one of the better parts of this game. It allows you to speed through stages. The only weapons that force you to stop are bazookas. The strafe button literally allows you to stop in your tracks, and the level design is much much better than heroes. Putting 06 as above Shadow is completely disingenuous. Unironically, get good.

>> No.9662303

>>9662097
You have to be deeply fucking bored to try and wrestle with the gunplay mechanics combined with Sonic's ring damage system. You could just be playing fucking SA2B, which is absolutely legendary for its multiplayer.

>> No.9662304

>>9661936
I won't question your tastes, but anyone who doesn't like robots lacks a soul.

>> No.9662306

>>9662293
It literally doesn't. You can use the strafe button to stop directly in your tracks.

>> No.9662316
File: 97 KB, 640x718, 88D5C72F-68E4-41D5-9C50-836D6B7E0DE4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9659975

>> No.9663331 [DELETED] 
File: 7 KB, 308x164, shadow_the_hedgehog.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9659975
I see nor hear no retro
Launched in two thousand five
Unleashed a million jannies
But I don't need WiFi

Banned for twenty four
Click aeroplane mode
PS2, is still not, retro

Game, Cube's, not, retro
Zoomies aren't retro
Zoomies aren't retro
Zoomies aren't
Zoomies aren't retro
Zoomies aren't

Go ahead and try to postblock me
Do it if you dare (dare)
4G turned on, browser changed
I'm here (4G turned on, browser changed)

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it
If I can teabag you
On a console online too
Retro ain't the word I'd ever use
Xbox and PS2
Two thousands ain't that a clue
Not retro you know it is true

Xbox (Xbox, is not retro)
Gamecube (Gamecube is not retro)
And the (PS2's not retro)
(Dreamcast too)

I see retarded zoomers
They've got no brain at all
Ask them what counts as retro
They'll tell you Titanfall

Banned for twenty four
Click aeroplane mode
PS2, is still not, retro

Game, Cube's, not, retro
Zoomies aren't retro
Zoomies aren't retro
Zoomies aren't
Zoomies aren't retro
Zoomies aren't

Go ahead and try to postblock me
Do it if you dare (dare)
4G turned on, browser changed
I'm here (4G turned on, browser changed)

If I can teabag you
On a console online too
Xbox and PS2

This is, this is not retro, not at all
Anyhow, any way, any will, any day
This is, this is not retro, not at all
Anyhow, any way, any will, any day
It's not, it's not, it's not
It's not, it's not, it's not
Retro

If I can teabag you
On a console online too
Xbox and PS2

Xbox (Xbox, is not retro)
Gamecube (Gamecube is not retro)
And the (PS2's not retro)

Dreamcast (Dreamcast, is not retro)
(Fuck jannies)
You are you are not a girl (girl)

>> No.9663348

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fn6KF_Viao

>> No.9663352

>>9661936
>I giant machine that you can sit inside and fight things in is "gay".
That's objectively wrong, but okay.

>> No.9663518

>"So what exactly don't you like about the game."

The physics feel just as wonky as Sonic Heroes but with none of the justifications that game had (Sonic Heroes sucks too but Shadow sucks harder for doing nothing to fix its gameplay issues).

It's a shame because at its core the game is essentially the 3D Sonic game people want (SA2 but with only speed stages).

>> No.9663652

>>9659975
>TELL THE COMMANDING GENERALS THAT THE UNITED FEDERATION WILL NEVER SURRENDER TO TERRORISTS!

>> No.9663771

>>9661151
>frontiers bad
Yes, that game is dogshit you dumb fanboy.

>> No.9663956

>>9663771
Never post again.

>> No.9663965

>>9659975
>"Whatever edgelord, you must be 12. Guns don't belong in a game with colourful animals."
>"S3&K had them. SA1 had them. SA2 had them."
I don't dislike Shadow but pretending that cartoonish weapons wielded by goofy robots and (comparatively) realistic firearms are the same thing is completely disingenuous. There's a very clear tonal gap.

>> No.9664000

>>9659975
The fact that you have to so obviously strawman to give yourself any of kind of leg in this argument is very telling. No one gives a shit that it is 'edgy' or has 'gunshots.'
Shadow the Hedgehog is visually terrible, he controls as if he is constantly ice skating, no lock on when shooting makes it an imprecise crapshoot, and the light and dark objectives are frequently absurdly tedious. Having to replay the game constantly to get the proper ending with levels far more divided than most other 'choose your own path' games is a terrible way to pad out the length of the game as well.

There's some real arguments for you, but odds are you'll just keep strawmanning because you know that you don't have a real leg to stand on defending such a 4/10 game.

>> No.9664035

>>9664000
no lock on when shooting makes half life an imprecise crapshoot

>> No.9664052

>>9664000
gonna go ahead and save this so I can post it in any future threads about this game

>> No.9664053

>>9664035
Half Life is a first person game with precise mouse controls, you moron.

>> No.9664062

>>9664053
And Shadow automatically points his gun at enemies, you moron.

>> No.9664070

>>9664000
blessed trips

>> No.9664073

>>9664062
Yes, if you're facing them just right (and even then he won't automatically target enemies if he doesn't feel like it) while maneuvering him around with the previously mentioned ice skating controls.

>> No.9664078

>>9664000
That people are claiming shadow the hedgehog is passable at all is gravely concerning to me. When the next generation of consoles is allowed on this board, prepare for all the threads claiming sonic 06 is amazing.

>> No.9664082 [DELETED] 

>>9664073
How are you so bad at a game with literal autism, maybe cookie clicker is more your speed?

>> No.9664084

>>9664078
Considering the post directly beneath you, I believe it. I give it less than five years.

>> No.9664085

>>9664073
How are you so bad at a game with literal autoaim, maybe cookie clicker is more your speed?

>> No.9664094 [DELETED] 

>>9664082
>starts deleting his posts as he realizes his argument holds no water
My sides.

>> No.9664095

>>9660038
>This game fixes every problem Heroes had.
And adds plenty of its own.

>> No.9664096 [DELETED] 

>>9664082
>How are you so bad at a game with literal autism
This might be the greatest freudian slip of all time

>> No.9664105 [DELETED] 

>>9664094
I'll go with that desu because your schizophrenic interpretation is more interesting than me correcting a typo

>> No.9664115

>>9664000
>he controls as if he is constantly ice skating
no one really defends the shitty controls, but for me,
>the light and dark objectives are frequently absurdly tedious
this is the worst part of the game, as a kid I would get so frustrated trying to find that ONE enemy in a large level I had to kill to progress
at least they let you freely warp around levels to look, even if that kind of meandering defeats the purpose of a sonic game

>> No.9664117 [DELETED] 

>>9661597
Oh, OP is autistic. That explains a lot.

>> No.9664148

>>9662306
So you can in Heroes by switching to a fly/power or using tornado jump.

>> No.9664293

>>9664000
Already refuted them right here.
>>9662297
I'm guessing you're not reading the thread.

>> No.9664305

>>9664073
>Yes, if you're facing them just right (and even then he won't automatically target enemies if he doesn't feel like it) while maneuvering him around with the previously mentioned ice skating controls.
I love how you were so confident you could refute me in this thread, then in order to win an argument you have to say outright falsehoods. The auto aim in this game is just fine. I apologize if you have some kind of disability, but this isn't the games fault. You literally only have to be looking in their general direction to get a lock on, that's it. The controls are easily mitigated with the strafe button stopping you in your tracks.

>> No.9664335

>>9662050

>the objectives are just as bad as the chaotix missions

They are much worse. In chaotix missions, you need to collect only half of things (if you are not going to do 100% run with additional missions). In Shadow, you always should collect everything. If it was like Chaotix missions in Heroes, the Shadow game would be much more enjoyable. Like, much, much more.

>> No.9664426

>>9664335
Doesn’t Chaotix Mystic Mansion make you blow out every red torch?

>> No.9664468

>>9664000
Give this man 2 medals, one for the trips and the other one for arguing so well about this shit game.

>> No.9664478

>>9664305
>continues to ignore all the criticisms of the game's awful, perpetual ice skating controls that make basic movement actions unwieldy
I assume you're actually underage at this point. Most adults don't have selective reading comprehension issues this extreme. Being able to stop in your tracks doesn't suddenly remedy the game's awful movement. And it's borderline hilarious how you keep trying your hardest to deflect attention away from other criticisms like:
>replay the game constantly to get the proper ending with levels far more divided than most other 'choose your own path' games is a terrible way to pad out the length of the game as well
Because you realize trying to defend that shit will make you look like you have even worse taste than you've already demonstrated.

>> No.9664486

>>9664305
>The controls are easily mitigated with the strafe button stopping you in your tracks
how is that true? it's a game about platforming, being able to stop in your tracks suddenly isn't something that is going to help you jump over bottomless pits and obstacles unless you're implying that you should be hitting the strafe button after every jump to prevent shadow from gaining too much speed slip sliding around

>> No.9664537

>>9664478
>Being able to stop in your tracks doesn't suddenly remedy the game's awful movement.
Except it isn't awful. The movement in the game is just fine. The controls aren't as slippery as your aggressive hyperbole is making it look. You're trying to reach for a criticism that has barely any merit to it so you can find something to hate about it. Again, unironically get good. I was merely recommending a cure for your obvious retardation.
>>replay the game constantly to get the proper ending with levels far more divided than most other 'choose your own path' games is a terrible way to pad out the length of the game as well.
Every other Sonic game up until this point made you do the same thing for a 100% score.

>> No.9664543

>>9664486
I genuinely don't understand what you're having a problem with. I'm able to play the game just fine with these controls.

>> No.9664571

>>9663352
Using a giant phallic robot to fight is just cowardly and boring. Use your martial arts, marksmanship, psychic powers, magic abilities. Whatever. As long as the power either is yourself or comes from within, it's based. I also hate airplane stuff but I feel like most people find that boring too

>> No.9664592

>>9659975
I was too mad they brought him back to life to play this

>> No.9664714
File: 213 KB, 1280x720, sonic-mania-adventures.large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the effeminate retconned mania adventures version of classic sonic forced on us today makes me miss even this garbage.

>> No.9664889

>>9662293
Shut the fuck up. As mediocre as Shadow is, it controls way better than that slippery slop.

>> No.9665597

>>9664478
>Most adults don't have selective reading comprehension issues this extreme
You would be surprised. Most people can't actually read unless they give ekt their all and focus really hard, and even then they'll have to repeat it themselves out loud to correlate the syntax. Most people spot a few keywords and then guess what the moral of the story is. Sad!

>> No.9665620

>>9665597
*give it their all

>> No.9665843
File: 264 KB, 680x680, 1645832363602.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In this day and age, I think hating edgy and cool shit has turned into indicating someone trying hard to look mature

>> No.9665847

>>9659975
I also enjoy the game, but this strawman greentext is pure schizophrenia. Meds, all of them.

>> No.9665853

>>9664000
>No one gives a shit that it is 'edgy' or has 'gunshots.'
I mean, everything else aside, this is a lie.

>> No.9665862

>>9665843
It's a cycle, we switch between hating so-called babbyshit and thinking anything harsh is just indigestible shock content. Honour is considered cringeworthy today, so we're in the latter stage of the cycle. Been hearing a factoid that "zoomers live Y2K aesthetics" being repeated constantly for the past year, so get ready for some George Bush Linkin Park millennialkino. I like a calm before the storm, I think Hi-Fi RUSH will be the Jet Set Radio before the 9/11.

>> No.9666465

>>9659975
I wouldnt use edgy to describe things negatively, especially now as an adult ive become even more of an actual edgelord. Id say shadow is the definition of cringe and this shit basically looks like the type of media that some edgelord mormon kid who isnt allowed to consume actually cool and edgy media would end up playing. Literally what the fuck is this garbage

>> No.9666580
File: 41 KB, 400x366, OwTheEdge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9665843
>>9666465
Making fun of edgy stuff I feel was warranted at one point, but I feel like it was part of a bad trend where now literally anything with any degree of harshness or dire tonality is considered to be "edgy"

I feel as though the term "edgy" has gone from meaning
>"Empty shock value."
To
>"I'm offended by literally anything harsh. Don't wrongthink and go against my puritanical, sheltered ideals."
The term is 100% a thought terminating cliche and an American corpo buzzword, because the only time you ever see it get used is in reference to harmless pop media and not towards anything genuinely pushing boundaries.
I can't count the amount of times I've seen someone make fun of edgy stuff only to turn around and drop soliloquies like an anime character and chimp out with a tough guy attitude when someone challenges them. Whereas most people who like it are incredibly friendly and nice.

>> No.9666907

>>9666580
and now all edgy content that does get to exist is just a political reaction to that trend. edge for the sake of making something 'darker' or 'more realistic' like in shth is plain dead nowadays.

>> No.9667209

>>9659975
>>"Um, uh.. SONIC WAS NEVER GOOD!"
true.

>> No.9667218

>>9660085
wrong.
>hard but fun
Mario Odyssey's postgame, 100%ing Mario Sunshine, 100%ing Mario World
>a pendulum swinging between braindead easy and simply tedious
the vast majority of 3D sonic games

>> No.9667269

>>9667218
Please explain

>> No.9667289

>>9666580
Mental illness.
https://arch.b4k.co/v/search/text/I%20feel%20as%20though%20the%20term%20%22edgy%22%20has%20gone%20from%20meaning/type/op/

>> No.9667302

>>9667289
An argument being repeated many times doesn't automatically make the argument invalid.

>> No.9667306
File: 26 KB, 534x400, A3A57467-3C95-42EB-B910-26EC5F5CA1B8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9667302

>> No.9667335

>>9667269
Mario Odyssey has a lot of optional levels that are very challenging, some of the hardest in the entire 3D Mario catalogue I'd say. A lot of them are locked behind the postgame (thee's dark side of the moon but also darker side, and every kingdom opens up a bunch of additonal levels) so most people don't even notice. Just like the hard levels in Sunshine, the ones in Odyssey make you want to make use of Mario's moveset beyond the simple run and jump. Very fun and rewarding.

regarding 3D Sonic, take SA2 for example, the only one I like despite being mediocre. The sonic levels are decent, but most of the time you're just on a rail-esque run that doesn't require a lot of thought unless you're aiming for a high rank, except when you're in a janky part of the level that makes the camera move weird and you don't even know what the fuck is going on, then suddenly it's hard for a few seconds. Falling to a pit doesn't feel like your fault most of the time since it's not like you could've predicted it with such speed. Still fun though. Then there's the Tails/Eggman levels. The platforming is absurdly simple, the gun autoaims for you and kills everything in side, and there's really nothing to do but walk to the end of the level and hope it's over soon. Then there's Knuckles/Rogue levels, where the core gameplay itself is just a long, boring, tedious "hot! cold!" treasure hunt. I'd call these levels irredeemable trash if flying to the music didn't feel so satisfying, cause really that's the only good thing about it

>> No.9667352

>>9667335
Odyssey postgame is piss easy, the only truly challenging thing in it is the boss rush. All of the other moons, even the darker side, are not hard at all. But I'll take this over Champion's Road and Perfect Run which are absurdly hard especially by modern vidya standards

>> No.9667357

>>9667302
Playing Devil's Advocate makes you a disingenuous pussy, pussy.

>> No.9667373

>>9667352
to this day I still can't beat the level in dark side where the giant bullet bill follows you on a bunch of grey bricks

>> No.9667391

>>9667335
>doesn't require a lot of thought unless you're aiming for a high rank
...so why don't you?
There always has to be a comparison between Mario and Sonic, doesn't there? Can't we appreciate that these games have a different approach to difficulty? In games like Mario, the bare minimum needed to complete a level is also the object of the game, whereas several SEGA series like Jet Set Radio and – indeed – Sonic derive the challenge not from completing the task but having the necessary Protestant Work Ethic to appreciate completing the task to a high standard. If you choose not to humour the game, you cannot then complain that it "doesn't require a lot of thought"; it's like telling chefs that cooking is boring and pointing to your instant noodles as evidence.

>> No.9667440

>>9667373
I beat it on my first try after hearing that it's the hardest moon in the game and unintentionally watching a youtube video of it

>> No.9667458

>>9667357
It's not Devil's Advocate if it's what I genuinely believe. You haven't provided an argument to the contrary.

>> No.9667503

>>9659975
How did it get Shadow's personality wrong?

>> No.9667534

>>9667503
Shadow went from being a slightly jaded misinanthrope to being an angsty teenager throwing 2000s era quips.

>> No.9668639

>>9667335
>He thinks Mario odyssey is hard.

>> No.9668720

>>9663965
I'll add to that and say that if in theory there was a Sonic game where Sonic hopped on some kind of laser turret to fight a boss, that wouldn't be out of character for the series. It's all about tone, and not overstepping that line, which this game did. You can literally wield a desert eagle and kill cops. It's just laughably silly.

>> No.9668767

>>9666465
Well, people kind of get confused about this whole "edgy" thing. It's usually used to make fun of things that are trying to be edgy while only coming across as lame. It's the teenager wearing a leather trenchcoat effect. No one thinks that teenager is cool.

There's always going to be a place for things that are genuinely dark and subversive, sure. Probably not in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. I don't want Sonic in Africa Addio.

>>9665862
I would say Shadow the Hedgehog is itself a very childish game. If you think it's a game for "grown ups" then you never became one. Nu-metal, and all of this dark brooding "who am I?" shit is entirely aimed at kids entering puberty. Those are the feelings that it aims to communicate. Alienation, frustration, strange feelings that you don't know what to do with or where to direct, a beginning of an understanding that "society" is kind of bullshit. Come on.

>> No.9668887

>>9668767
>I would say Shadow the Hedgehog is itself a very childish game
I agree, but the game thinks its shit don't stink

>> No.9669582

>>9668767
>Alienation, frustration, strange feelings that you don't know what to do with or where to direct, a beginning of an understanding that "society" is kind of bullshit.
These are feelings that adults go through on a daily basis. Feelings like this don't just magically stop at adulthood. Stop confusing the idea that internal struggling and angst is a teenager only emotion.

>> No.9669852

>>9668720
fang the sniper had a revolver and you only incapacitate the gun soldiers. he's not really treating them any worse than sonic in sa2 who kills a cop in a car wreck in city escape.

>> No.9669880
File: 196 KB, 1024x768, 3008951130_ba4c6de212_b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9668767
>Probably not in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise.
sonic from the very beginning was about a mad scientist forcing animals into robot slaves.

>> No.9670115

>>9659975
Well, it's hard to take the game seriously when the tough edgy "badass" is a cartoon hedgehog.

>> No.9670214

Guys, it's time: https://retroachievements.org/game/22070

>> No.9670237
File: 117 KB, 1280x720, url(165).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9670115
Can you take literally any fiction seriously then?

>> No.9670443

>>9670237
Of course. Constant irony is the mark of true brainlets.
But you still have to take into account tone and demographics. If you're above the age of 12 and think Sonic is serious drama or that Kirby is dark, you probably have a mental disability.

>> No.9670470
File: 106 KB, 680x771, 39DAD9A5-9F0B-4B2E-B5E4-B664AFB028CE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9667458
>Spamming copypastas aren't shitposts if I agree with them

>> No.9670480

>>9667458
>You haven't provided an argument to the contrary.
You haven't done the same with >>9667306 ironically enough.

>> No.9670496

Shadow the Hedgehog isn't bad because of its "edginess." It's just not good in general, which is pretty much every modern Sonic game. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable, but you definitely have to not mind sifting through the usual Sonic Team bullshit that bogs most of their games down. If you're a hardcore Sonic fan then this is no issue.

>> No.9670534

>>9670443
>If you're above the age of 12 and think Sonic is serious drama or that Kirby is dark, you probably have a mental
disability.
This is such a weird strawman. Nobody said this.

>> No.9670536 [SPOILER] 

>>9670470
Yes unironically. There's nothing wrong with using an argument more than once. Stop judging it on how many times its been posted and instead on the actual merit of the argument itself.
>>9670480
>It's still shitposting if you're being ironic.
Except I wasn't being being ironic. I was being sincere in what I said.

>> No.9670875 [DELETED] 
File: 78 KB, 500x452, you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Unironically defending spam
Just kys yourself already, autist.
https://desuarchive.org/_/search/boards/a.co.vr/text/the%20term%20%22edgy%22%20has%20gone%20from%20meaning/order/asc/

>> No.9671935

>>9669880
Sonic is an allegory for Jesus, one of my friends did a presentation on this

>> No.9672752

>>9670496
There was a literal decade of Shadow and edginess getting made fun of precisely because of his game. What do you mean?

>> No.9673509

>>9660016
>"Um, uh.. SONIC WAS NEVER GOOD!" again

>> No.9673516

>>9660736
Found the gacha paypig

>> No.9673525
File: 306 KB, 1080x917, Nintendo hard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9664000
>>9664468
>>9664052
>>9664115
>the light and dark objectives are frequently absurdly tedious
>The nintendo fanboy got filtered by a fucking Sonic game
Name a bigger myth.

>> No.9673782

>>9672752
This feels backwards. The kids (i.e. the proper age group for the game) loved shadow's edginess in SA2 and Heroes. So many sprite comics and fanfics were made of Shadow as the ultimate badass Sonic character. It was only after his solo game flopped, which coincidentally happened to also occur in the same time span these kids were growing up and emo shit stopped being cool, that shadow became a laughing stock.

>> No.9674206

>>9660028
Second this. I borrowed both back then, finished Heroes but don't remember finishing Shadow. I think I got lost in levels or whatever it was.

>> No.9674623

>>9673782
Shadow wasn't an edgelord in SA2 and ESPECIALLY not in Heroes. Shadow is a good bloke

>> No.9674705

>>9669880
Woah! Sonic is dark man! It's JUST like that scene in Robocop 2, even though it isn't like that at all.

>> No.9674708

>>9669852
Fang the Sniper has a cork gun like a child, firstly. And the character is a classic cartoon cowboy like Yosemite Sam. It's not the same thing.

>> No.9674720

>>9669582
Adults stop crying about it, because they realise that's what life is. And work is supposed to become a bigger struggle than identity or sexual frustration, past a certain point.

>> No.9674928

>>9674720
Slave castes stop caring. The great men of history keep an interest

>> No.9675040

>>9674928
Ah yes. Shadow the Hedgehog fans. Those Nietzschean supermen.

>> No.9675285
File: 102 KB, 687x687, 3dc18008d6d780d4bd9772035225cc2d.687x687x1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9661928
>Licensed tracks absolutely got watered down. The most interesting part of Sonic Team's temporary relocation to the US West Coast was their involvement with the music scene, but many of the original acts intended to supply licensed tracks (Magna-Fi, Sins of a Divine Mother, Mona Lisa Overdtrive) got ditched and we got worse replacements as a result

Magna-Fi were actually the ones who decided to pull out from licencing Who I Am because they discovered that SEGA had arranged the contract so that they'd retain ownership over the track, and the group wanted to use it as the opener for their new album, so they ended up writing an entirely new song which eventually became All Hail Shadow.

I get the sense that Jun Senoue is a bit of a geek in terms of American grassroots music scenes because tons of the Sonic series' musical contributors either only got big after signing on or never had much of a dedicated following at all (this one being a good example).

t. 2000s rock/punk autist who's had some conversations with people who knew the band

>> No.9675327
File: 83 KB, 700x770, 192.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wish Sonic would lean into the contrast between the dark tone and childish characters, the way Kingdom Hearts did. '06 came the closest, but Sega's reaction to its failure was "don't do anything '06 did ever again".

>> No.9675683
File: 2.45 MB, 412x272, person enjoying ShTH.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9659975
Nah, it deserves even more shit than it gets desu
>obnoxious "Kill X things" or "Find X things" objectives which make you comb over every square inch of the level to complete
>level is invariably a literal straight line and not open world, so you essentially have to replay the whole fucking stage to find the one thing you inevitably missed (game has enough decency to let you teleport to checkpoints, but this is ultimately pointless since you still must scour the level to find what you missed, so you might as well start from the beginning)
>can opt to not do any of that and just reach the stage exit, but then you basically have a very short, very dull game without much to do, since the vast majority of levels are primarily designed around these types of missions, and replayability hinges on repeating them in order to do the opposite alignment's objectives
>also can't choose to go back to previous levels and redo them, so every playthrough must be 100% fresh
Genuinely worse than both 06 and Boom, nobody in the history of the fucking world enjoys this except deranged people.

>> No.9675687

>>9675683
>Genuinely worse than both 06 and Boom.
Thats completely disingenuous and you know it. 06 with all of it's glitches is borderline unplayable and Boom is much of the same.

>> No.9675695

Sonic Adventure and all the ones prior are good games, anything after is hot garbage.

>> No.9675703

>>9675683
>level is invariably a literal straight line and not open world, so you essentially have to replay the whole fucking stage to find the one thing you inevitably missed (game has enough decency to let you teleport to checkpoints, but this is ultimately pointless since you still must scour the level to find what you missed, so you might as well start from the beginning)
You literally spell out a problem and the game gives you a solution. Rather than taking the solution you continue to bitch and cry about it as if the game didn't give you one at all. Stop blaming the game for your own unwillingness to play it.

>> No.9675712

>>9664078
People already do that, hence the multi-hour Youtube videos which have been popping up in recent years. I'd say go look at /sthg/, but I would never actually advise anyone to visit that festering cesspool.

Unfortunately, we've hit a sort of postmodern "Anti-Cringe" era where some fags are so assblasted by Pontaff writing and boostshit that they'll say it's wrong to criticize obviously retarded things, and that stupid shit like the plot and gameplay of Shadow, 06, and the Wii games was actually kino when it actually really isn't.

>> No.9675714

>>9675683
>also can't choose to go back to previous levels and redo them, so every playthrough must be 100% fresh
And this is a problem how? Don't blame the game for your own stupidity.

>> No.9675727

>>9675712
>Shadow's plot was kino
Actually, yes it is. The hatred for plots like this was only ever game journalists being made that Sonic wasn't as infantile and safe as Mario.
Shadow's plot fits perfectly with the previous games lore.
>Note outside of Shadow's Cell in SA2 mentions the Black Arms
>Explains why Gerald built the eclipse cannon whereas it doesn't make sense in SA2. There's physically no way Gerald could have built the eclipse cannon while being held by GUN.
>Shadow doesn't remember Maria at all in Heroes.

>> No.9675801

>>9670443
Kirby can be dark, but usually it does so in a way that doesn't overdo it or keeps it at implications, usually regarding the antagonists.
Star Allies' villains, for example, are cult trying to resurrect their god to destroy everything, but the leader of said cult is actually a nutjob and the darker aspects of his madness are kept out of the way, so it's not that dark.

>> No.9675820

>>9675683
>open world
Not every game needs to be open world. In fact open world in some games end up getting bad reviews or no release.

>> No.9675851

>>9659975
I just played it and hate it, simple as
I deserve games I like to take up my time, not games I dislike.

>> No.9675857

>>9660038
Yeah, in the same way CD "fixes" every problem Sonic 1 had. Sonic 2 is still better than both games, because the best part of Heroes (artstyle, tone, atmosphere and carefree adventure) is what people actually want from a fixed Heroes. Aka Spark 3.

>> No.9675863

>>9661151
>71 metascore
>good
lmao

>> No.9675881

>>9675863
Common Core has really failed if 71% is considered bad. You know 50% is majority correct, right?

>> No.9675894

>>9661936
>Yes, it is irrational. No, nobody really cares that it is.
Finally, a real masculine post. Tired of virgin incels seething I don't think their neon blue cartoon rat looks cool with guns and anime fight scenes. I just want to play a fun video game. Which 90% of his 3D games and 40% of his 2D ones are not.

>> No.9675896

>>9675881
not him but you're literally retarded.
>bitches about common core but can't do math
watch:
>50% is majority
51%, is majority, not 50%. also, 51% being the "majority" would only make sense if each 1% equaled 1 vote. that isn't how it's working. what that 71% means is that the MAJORITY of people gave it a score that, when aggregated, equals 71%. you are an idiot.

>> No.9675956

>>9675896
A majority is actually 50% plus any value greater than 0, which may not be an integer. Nevertheless, the point still stands that 71 is WELL above 50+x where 0<x≤50.
>what that 71% means is that the MAJORITY of people gave it a score that, when aggregated, equals 71%. you are an idiot
If this is Metacritic, then it is actually a weighted average.

>> No.9675968

>>9675956
Well above 50, rather. It is in the range of 50+x.

>> No.9675990

>>9666580
>>"Empty shock value."
It still is this to me
Sonic trying to look mature is empty and soulless trash. Sonic also trying to be funny in the 2010s is just as empty, it's usually called "meta"

Both are called "cringe" because that's what "I'm offended by x being shit" means.

>> No.9675996

>>9669582
>These are feelings that adults go through on a daily basis.
No, modern incels do. I know for a dam fact my actual boomer parents don't fucking think like millennials and zoomers. Maybe it has to do with them being better off with jobs and keeping a steady income, but today's "men" and "women" are literally confused by gender roles now.

>> No.9675997

>>9669852
>fang the sniper had a revolver
With a cork in it you fucking shithead.

>> No.9676000

>>9669880
Oh SHIT! Zoos are EDGY NOW!

>> No.9676009

>>9675703
>>9675712
>>9675714
Quite literally all the same poster. Prove me wrong.

>> No.9676010

>>9676000
>>9675997
>>9674708
>Sonic games were always meant to take place on Earth in the Japanese lore
>Which would include realistic humans with realistic guns.
>"NOOOOO YOU CANT HAVE REALISTIC GUNS IN SONIC!"

>> No.9676012

>>9676010
Shut the fuck up autist, you're just shitting up this already shit thread you likely made.

>> No.9676013

>>9674720
>>9675996
Apathy, ignorance and conformity are not virtues.

>> No.9676035

>>9676012
>No argument.

>> No.9676052

>>9676000
zoos are immoral yes but not at all the same thing

>> No.9676057

>>9676009
Yes. They were all me. Trying to refute every single thing would have taken more than the allowed character count.

>> No.9676059

>>9676000
zoos in the context of sonic where animals are mentally indistinguishable from humans are in fact edgy as fuck actually

>> No.9676175

>>9676059
Aren't the woodland critters evolutionary distinct from Sonic and the other furries? Sonic lives in a world where Tails, an anthropomorphic fox, can give an actual fox to a Chao

>> No.9676180

>>9676175
i don't know. it seems dependent on the game. in the sonic 2 manual they seemed equally as conscious.

>> No.9676305

>>9660736
Boom is hilarious and you know it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrcdkxzqDw

>> No.9676310

>>9676305
he probably meant the game

gay post anyway since secret rings has had apologists since it came out

>> No.9676341
File: 105 KB, 400x345, 19789999.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9676052
Then what about animal farms literally only bred into existence just to be slaughtered and maned into the next Bic Mac?

All Eggman did was put animals into robots. None of which looked traumatized or harmed inside the bots when Sonic boops them open. (And no, Shatam isn't canon and never was or will be.) The games never made the animals suffer for being in robots/capsules, they are just caught by the hunter and Sonic frees them, that's it

At what point does this look violence and edgy? You retards are just mentally ill that wants to cherrypick what looks "grimdark" to justify Shadow having guns or his family getting shot by the government. If putting animals in a cage is le evil, then the entire world has been since forever.

>> No.9676363

>>9659975
I didn't like how the guns were hard to use. It felt like a weird decision to include them. It's faster and easier to just kill enemies like normal.

>> No.9676369

>>9676341
by the logic of sonic that is all evil, yes. are you trying to imply that what eggman is doing in the genesis games isn't supposed to be evil? i think your hatred of shadow the hedgehog is blinding you.

>> No.9676572

>>9676341
>All Eggman did was put animals into robots. None of which looked traumatized or harmed inside the bots when Sonic boops them open. (And no, Shatam isn't canon and never was or will be.) The games never made the animals suffer for being in robots/capsules, they are just caught by the hunter and Sonic frees them, that's it.
Read literally any of the supplementary material surrounding the series. They explicitly mention that the animals were traumatized.
Also, yes. Maria getting shot by the government was perfectly fine in a series that's supposed to take place on Earth. What your describing wouldn't be out of place in a fucking kids comic.

>> No.9676735

>>9676369
>by the logic of sonic that is all evil, yes. are you trying to imply that what eggman is doing in the genesis games isn't supposed to be evil?
No. It's just not edgy. That's the difference

By this logic Bowser is dark, mature and edgy just because the fist game has him turn all toads into bricks, of which you, the "hero" break casually without remorse while stomping on goombas and koopas on a secondly basis.

Eggman doing a act Sonic dislikes /= bloodsheed and sadistic imagery. Something Shadow the hedgehog, quite literally, provokes. It was almost a Teen game FFS, and only wasn't because it has no visible blood despite a kid got shot in the game along with all the GUN units you kill in mass. You retards act like anyone is going to seriously look at Sonic 1 and hames like Shadow or 06 like it's the exact same series. It's fucking not.

>Read literally any of the supplementary material surrounding the series.
Non canon. It literally isn't in game, it doesn't matter what some dead jap said. Even SEGA made it clear if Ian Flynn (who now is in control of the modern canon) considered it irrelevant to Sonic, it's irreverent to Sonic. So it's doublely non canon. The games clearly contradict the "le jap manuals" which makes zero sense to anyone to think some obscure foreigner translation matters more than what's literally advertised every single time you play Sonic 1-3K. If it mattered they'd made it matter as a point in Sonic Mania and Sonic Origins, the latest classic Sonic game published by SEGA.

>> No.9676819

>>9676735
yeah, shth does have some stark tonal differences from earlier games. i just don't really agree that guns or humans dying doesn't belong in sonic. the game could've had those things but handled more appropriately, like sa2 (not the greatest example ever but certainly the better one).

>> No.9676831

>>9676735
>Eggman doing a act Sonic dislikes
he's enslaving sentient animals and turning the oceans to oil. that's just plain bad anon. you're just revealing yourself as an pro-eggman weirdo in all your shadow hateboner wagging.

>> No.9676838
File: 45 KB, 577x461, ztmgt1vplci41_png_92.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

le so grimdark cause guns are in it

>> No.9676839

>>9659975
>You wanna be more specific?"
The needless swearing that is so out of place you just now it was added because they thought it sounded badass
The fact that you gain evil points by attacking cops that are trying to stop an alien invasion
The fact that the evil side is represented by a hilariously over the top demon that wants to destroy the world

That's right off the top of my head

>> No.9676841

the game didn't need black doom at all. the evil path should've been shadow taking over earth himself and enslaving the black arms

>> No.9676845
File: 60 KB, 600x800, 0r27p5kjm7541.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9676848

>>9676845
you're just posting that picture of me cause you know it's true

>> No.9676854
File: 268 KB, 824x707, d5pyl2b-b5e82455-1a84-4b72-9b9d-840d5a53e06c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I do not blame Shadow in the slightest for getting guns after his first appearance in SA2 had these mfs.
In fact, I'm surprised everyone doesn't use them after that point.

>> No.9676982
File: 27 KB, 618x478, 1529354299335.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9676831
>he's enslaving sentient animals
They are fucking normal animals. They don't talk, they don't wear clothes, they don't have powers, they aren't even the same fucking size as Sonic. I'm almost convinced this is a Sonic Retro psyop because only the faggots that made those fan games like Sonic 2 HD tried to forced the headcanon all Sonic's animals were furries. No, they are two separate species, like humans and apes.

>and turning the oceans to oil.
??? The fuck are you talking about? Oil Ocean is not a real ocean you retard, it's on a ISLAND, it's just a metaphor, a game mechanic, not a literal oil ocean.

>> No.9676991
File: 33 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

yes they are merely batteries i mean animals. there are no oil oceans. heil eggman.

>> No.9676995

>>9676991
>Not even the same game
>Not even the canon timeline
>Not realizing the point of the bad future is to stop it from happening, something modern Sonic fails at doing.

>> No.9677001

>>9676995
what? who says sonic 2 and cd don't take place i the same canon and we're talking about the series anyway. you denied oil oceans and they're right there in sonic cd.

>> No.9677005

>>9677001
>who says sonic 2 and cd don't take place i the same canon
>Reading comprehension
What you posted is the bad future, which is non canon. The good future is the canon ending to CD.

>> No.9677007

>>9677005
so what faggot? eggman creates oil oceans. that's the point. nice backpedal i guess.

>> No.9677008

>>9676735
>It literally isn't in game, it doesn't matter what some dead jap said. Even SEGA made it clear if Ian Flynn (who now is in control of the modern canon) considered it irrelevant to Sonic, it's irreverent to Sonic.
When did they say this? It doesn't matter. You can't just override canon and authorial intent because it's inconvenient for the false construct you're building. It's in the game manuals and everything else regarding the series. Eggman was portrayed as an inhuman monster in the original games.
>The games contradict the le jap manuals
No they don't.
>Sonic was always meant to be on Earth, not on mobius
>The Sonic games clearly show a preference towards more mature themes are far back as the series started
>"WAHHH MY HEADCANON IS INVALIDATED!"
Cope, seethe dilate.
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_2_(16-bit)/Manuals
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3/Manuals
https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_CD/Manuals
You have some required reading to do.

>> No.9677009

>>9677007
>eggman creates oil oceans.
So does Irabia, guess humans are now evil hitlers. Guess furry blue rats are realistic now and mature and edgy.

>> No.9677012

>>9677009
humans absolutely do evil things for oil and turning the fucking OCEANS into it certainly is. your point again? i don't care about this schizo strawman who loves edgy realistic shit or whatever.

>> No.9677015
File: 46 KB, 500x380, 1566616817191.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9677008
>You can't just override canon and authorial intent
I'm not, the game devs did. They didn't put it in the game, which is when it matters. Look at JRPGs. Look at Shinobi. Look at games like Symphony of the Night. All games that have stories in the game. Not in books exclusive to the japanese language. If it was meant to matter, it would have been in the game.
>No they don't.
It literally does, it's not in game.
>Mobius
You're the literal first post ITT to mention non canon archie shit. I'm tlaking about the games retard. I never even said anything about Earth, just that nothing about Sonic 1 looks as edgy and "mature" as Shadow/06. Pay attention to the discussion before posting.

Only Sonicautists do this, so I know it's only autism I'm talking to, not actual normal people.

>> No.9677017

>>9677012
>your point again?
Is that it's not edgy. Pay attention. Take you medication and stop sperging out.

>> No.9677019

>>9659975
>schizo argues with imaginary person and totally owns them in his own mind
You're only making fans of the game look worse.

>> No.9677020

>>9677017
your latest relevant point was that eggman wasn't out to turn the oils to ocean (blatantly false) and you've been backpedaling ever since.
>muh spergs
you're crying about irabia and how it pertains to shadow the hedgehog on an anime forum. how bout you stop projecting and generally being a dunning kruger tard.

>> No.9677026

>>9677020
>oils to ocean
fuck it i'm gonna go play sonic 2.

>> No.9677028
File: 333 KB, 600x498, d7c.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9677020
>>9677026
>fuck it i'm gonna go play sonic 2.
Literally you rn.

>> No.9677041

>>9677015
>nothing about Sonic 1 looks as edgy and "mature" as Shadow/06. Pay attention to the discussion before posting.
So literally your only argument is regarding the series shift in art style?

>> No.9677225

>>9677041
The entire argument was literally about this for half the thread, so yes? It's literally what people have been talking about in regard to OP. Pay attention.

>> No.9677240
File: 276 KB, 2001x1125, FSf57xrXIAIk__-.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dang you shadow ruining the tone of sonic with your billy hatcher gun.

>> No.9677251
File: 45 KB, 608x460, latest_92.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9675997
so a gun.

>> No.9677260
File: 2.13 MB, 498x348, gamma-sonic-adventure.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

g-guns?!

>> No.9677283

>>9659975
level design was kinda bad and it sucked you had to replay levels even if you wanted to get the same ending you already got.

guns were actually implemented pretty well and were pretty fun, i especially liked the alien guns which felt a lot more fitting in the sonic universe.

also the omochao gun is one of the greatest things they've ever made.

>> No.9677301

oh I forgot to mention the swearing. yeah it was kinda unfitting for all the characters to swear, but I feel like characters like Shadow, Espio, and maybe Vector saying damn once in a while isn't that weird.

>> No.9677336

>>9659975
>S3&K had them
where
>in before eggman robo has cartoon laser blaster, same thing as a pistol totally

>> No.9677352

>>9677301
Espio saying damn sounded very natural and was good.
Shadow was trying too hard.
Sonic saying damn in that game might have been "out of character" but sounded natural at least.
Knuckles saying damn was cringey.

>> No.9677359

>>9677251
Now if the entire game had this on average, then no one would bitch about the tone of the game.

>> No.9677365

>>9677352
>Espio saying damn sounded very natural and was good.
I think he'll only curse when pissed off, which in that case, was ok
Shadow doing it will always sound try hard, unless they write him to only do it when someone deserved being cursed at
Sonic should be a combination of Espio/Shadow's reasons
Knuckles wouldn't curse, ever. He's just punch you before he'd get the time to consider it.

>> No.9677401

>>9677352
wasn't referring to the delivery, was referring to the idea. they could make sonic swear and have it be recorded really well, but it would still be weird.

>> No.9677415

>>9677301
It was a real culture shock going online and seeing Americans discuss this game and complain about how Sonic characters are "swearing". Are damn and hell really considered swear words over there?

>> No.9677416

>>9677415
Not these days, but it's still weird to hear sonic saying them.

>> No.9677423 [DELETED] 

>>9677415
>Are damn and hell really considered swear words over there?
They are christian words, but now that Americans are trannies now they don't care.

>> No.9678587

>>9677359
and that's retarded because the two realistic guns that are in the game have nothing to do with its tonal issues. most of them are the explosive/laser shit you see in any kids game with guns.

>> No.9678729

>>9659975
>but otherwise it fixes basically everything about his character and tied up every loose end from SA2
Fuck you

>> No.9678912

>>9678587
>the two realistic guns
Ironic, if that's all of them why did SEGA advertise one of them as the literal first 5 seconds into the opening as Shadow's gun of choise, and the second being on the fucking box art?

Why not the ayy guns that aren't realistic what so ever? Why use actual gunshots instead of not gun shots in the menu selection screen? If the realistic guns didn't set the tone then why does everyone with a brain think it did?

>> No.9678915

>>9678912
>cocks mp5 like shotgun
>realistic
just stop dude. i don't care how offended you are by silly cartoon guns, a thing already in sonic games before shadow the hedgehog.

>> No.9678928

>>9678915
>It's using realistic things unrealistically, therefore it's tonally a baby game!

Meds. Now. You've reached into maximum copium mode. You aren't convincing Shadow is a proper game for the Sonic series. No one will ever agree with you. You'll die alone with that fact living rent free in your mind palace.

>> No.9678941

>>9678928
>strawman that wants shadow to be a baby game or something
shadow the hedgehog is a bad game but you haven't articulated a good reason why. the guns aren't why it's edgy or inappropriate for sonic. cope.

>> No.9679728

I just don't think guns work when added to the Sonic formula, part of the appeal is that you're controlling a projectile. They had to make enemies extra tanky to justify the weapons which also goes against the franchise's core philosophy. A proper Shadow game using SA2's engine and building more on his time stopping ability (which is actually connected to speed) could have been excellent.

Imagine if they made a Mega Man game that had acceleration and pinball physics, and how fucking awful it'd be to try and land an accurate shot.

>> No.9680221

>>9675703
Checkpoints aren't a fucking solution you moron. Unless you know EXACTLY where the thing you need to complete the mission is, you could potentially waste even more time than you would from restarting the stage.

>> No.9680235
File: 70 KB, 747x691, FoC0NauWYAECUGR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9666580
Jesus Christ, this faggot shitposts on the smaller boards too? Have you no shame?

>>9667289
Oh anon, that isn't even the tip of the iceberg.
https://desuarchive.org/_/search/boards/co.desu.meta/text/I%20feel%20as%20though%20the%20term%20%22edgy%22%20has%20gone%20from%20meaning/

>> No.9680348

>>9679728
well there's autoaim so it's not really anything like mega man and that doesn't sound very hard in 2d anyway. it's easy to land an accurate shot because sonic isn't about holding right all the time and shth was clearly trying to not just be another sonic game. the solution i think is just to take a hint from the adventure games, simplify the shooting where shadow auto shoots wherever you aim while holding a button and common enemies die in one hit.

>> No.9680356
File: 77 KB, 1080x1364, shadowpilled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9675040
Yes.

>> No.9680430 [SPOILER] 
File: 71 KB, 360x480, Mega Man Panic Shot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9679728
The Mega Man game you speak of exists

>> No.9680435

>>9661936
Evangelion "Mechs" are cringe and gay, but if you think for a one second that mechs in general are gay, you're a pathetic faggot in denial. So don't be like that.
Giant robots are peak cool.
>>9664571
>martial arts, marksmanship, psychic powers, magic abilities
So gay it is then. I'm not surprised to be honest. Unless it's a bait.

>> No.9680453

>>9659975
It's bad because it features Cringe the Hedgehog with all his wanky drama-filled story that looks gay as fuck.
I understand that Sonic overstayed it's welcome and has to adapt to wider and older audience, but their plots just get more silly to me.

Oh yeah, and the game plays like SHIT.
So no, fuck off and die you fucking schizo cunt.

>> No.9681578

>>9680221
>"No! The game is making me engage in gameplay! How could this be happening!?!"

>> No.9681595
File: 194 KB, 326x315, 1676990905239352.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9664478
>Comes into the thread super confident
>Gets refuted immediately
>Has meltdown and tantrum
>Still can't even refute the post
>>9664537
Holy shit I shiggy diggy

>> No.9681642

the only thing really bad about shadow's movement is the spin-dash. before frontiers i considered him to still have the best 3d sonic controls since after the adventure games.

>> No.9681687

>>9677415
In the mid-aughts it was pretty wild. Same with 06 having characters fucking die and animals make out with humans. You didn't see lighthearted kids games or shows deal with that until about the era of Adventure Time.

>> No.9682869

>>9681687
One of the most violent fantasy book series I've read with graphic descriptions of death, injury, mutilation, routine cannibalism that is just barely kept off-page, routine light torture, and permeating belief that the proper way of dealing with bad guys is to kill them stone dead is a fantasy book series for kids. It is also about cute fuzzy animals. It is also pretty popular, so your appeal to popularity is invalid. (I'm talking about Redwall books, just in case you try to pull the disbelief card.)

>> No.9682904

>>9682869
redwall's tone has something called GRACE which shth could've used a tiny bit of
>tfw no black knight sequel game with the same tone