[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 45 KB, 500x495, 51KHFD9PV9L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9630308 No.9630308 [Reply] [Original]

Why is everything so terrible besides the basic car physics? like they had a couple competent guys working on the driving and modeling cars surrounded by the biggest hacks.

>> No.9630489
File: 133 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Agreed. It's min-maxxed to an autistic degree
>absolute top tier driving and crash physics, mogs Forza Horizon and NFS games that are more than 2 decades newer
>very cinematic cutscenes, a great reward for completing brutal missions
But at the same time
>unplayably bad frame rate
>retarded chase missions where the AI has infinite mass and is on rails
>unfinished feeling on foot segments
>4 maps that are barren and far, far too large
>lower quality audio than the first game
>draw distance is like 30 metres
Idk how we used to play it on original hardware. The framerate is pathetic. ReDriver 2 on the PC is much better to play due to 30 FPS but it doesn't fix the flawed game design. It was cool that they let you get out of the car but they should have done what The Getaway did and released the game for PS2 instead. Way, way too ambitious for the available hardware.

>> No.9630510

>>9630308
>>9630489
I think it's practically agreed upon that PS1's outdated hardware is the fault.
>retarded chase missions where the AI has infinite mass and is on rails
Well it would be difficult to program an AI to speed a fishtail happy early 70s tail muscle car through the heavy traffic and dense roads of Driver games, on PS1 hardware nonetheless. It's unfair, but I enjoy the cinematic quality of having a rubberbanded opponent. Driver San Francisco was the first Driver game to do it correctly, but it has a more arcade-y car handling compared to all the predecessors. The closest comparison would be GTA 4, and it did the same thing every Driver game before San Francisco did, giving your opponent infinite mass and ruberbanded movement, but even worse, they're now invincible too.

>> No.9630581

>>9630489
I'm not completely sure but from what I've seen driver 2 was one of those rare game that's unnaffected by cpu overclock, it just locks to 30 and nothing else obvious changes.
>redriver2
cool, real shame it doesn't have analaog support beyond just the usual virtual dpad, with that limitation I honestly would rather just play the psx version with overclocking being viable.

>> No.9630585

>>9630581
I played it with an Xbox One controller and the stick worked just fine. Little bit of a deadzone which made steering not as precise as you'd like but it's very fluid and nice overall. It's basically locked at 30 FPS even with tons of chaos on screen. Plus you get the increased draw distance and if you download the Dev version you can mess around with cool settings like time of day and other fun things. There are minor mods from the ReDriver Discord like a speedometer and goodies like texture and sound swaps and such.

>> No.9630589

>>9630585
>Little bit of a deadzone which made steering not as precise as you'd like
man I'm pretty sure that isn't just a dead zone, it's digital dpad input.

>> No.9632364

I liked it.

>> No.9632483

>>9630308
its a good game, sounds like you came from /v/