[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.02 MB, 1914x2160, Pokemon Gold, Silver & Crystal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9620369 No.9620369 [Reply] [Original]

Why did Gen 2 of Pokemon have such a comfy and unique vibe compared to all other gens? The world, the music, the sprites, it's all just so characterful and soulful in a way that even the other 2D Pokemon games are not.

>> No.9620373

>>9620369
it was trying to be a true successor rather than just another game in a series

>> No.9620379

>>9620369
monster designs weren't fucking retarded yet while feeling new and special

>> No.9620517

>>9620369
GameFreak still had passion in Gen2 and wanted to end the franchise while they were on top of the game, but the money ultimately proved too strong to walk away from and so they sold out.

>> No.9620535

True, what a sequel.
I remember a friend of mine just shelled out $10 outta his pocket when I was buying the game at a store and was 10 bucks short. The hype everyone had was incredible, people wanted other people to buy the game si more people to play with.

>> No.9620563
File: 3.20 MB, 2100x1185, gen1-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9620379
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Gen 2 has many merits, monster design is not one of them

>> No.9620579

>>9620563
Those are all pretty great, why not point out some of the ones you don't like and explain why?

>> No.9620581

Gen 2 has a great aesthetic, probably because it's simply building off Gen 1 but optimizing it for the GBC, making it very charming and pretty.

Still, I can't get behind the general praise for them as superior games. I don't think they're bad games, but they simply don't play as smoothly and seamlessly as an experience and there are many reasons for this, such as the day and night exclusive mons....an interesting gimmick that was impressive and immersive the first time you witnessed it as a child, but really puts a damper on things ultimately forcing you to schedule when you play or stop playing the game. Pokemon selection offers more Pokemon this time around yet it FEELS like there's less somehow, it's bizarre, it feels like a struggle to get a nice team going earlier on when you want to, Crystal "the favorite" even takes away your one option for the electric type, not to mention the lack of easily accessible stones means even some of the Pokemon you might choose won't evolve unless you happen to save the "right" phone numbers aka go look up a guide, or wait till endgame...and there's another thing, the second half of the game feels all out of wack, you reach the new Elite 4 too quickly, and the game after that point just feels kinda half assed, one of the few things everyone can agree was irritating about Gen 1, being forced to use unwanted HMs or resort to HM slaves is double downed on in Gen 2 adding multiple new HMs you never wanted ensuring you MUST have a HM slave this time and late game too, it's worse than cut and flash which you don't need once you get fly, there's just so many little things that make these games a bit rough

>> No.9620593
File: 2.68 MB, 2877x3000, kantogsc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>all they did was condense the routes! it totally has 2 whole regions bro!

List of Kanto dungeons:
Viridian Forest = gone
Mt. Moon = see my next post
SS Anne = gone
Power Plant = gone
Rock Tunnel = slightly smaller
Rocket Hideout = gone
Pokemon Tower = gone
Safari Zone = gone
Silph Co = gone
Seafoam Islands = gone
Pokemon Mansion = gone
Victory Road = slightly smaller
Cerulean Cave = gone

>> No.9620594
File: 69 KB, 1796x1000, mtmoon1996-1999.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

mt. moon

>> No.9620617
File: 14 KB, 1200x1080, Pokemon - Gold Version (USA, Europe) (SGB Enhanced) (GB Compatible)-230131-231332.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9620369
The nighttime graphics + the beautiful music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNAktk9ei8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XjouKSkSeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-VyHIx_SY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFEOKz9-Xv8

>> No.9620921

>>9620579
Babymons are useless and suck
Weird shit like Dunsparce that would be cool kinda if it did something unique like Wobbufett but it doesn't
I personally hate like Sunflora, Bellossom
Lugia and Ho-oh are trash compared to Mewtwo.
It's ok. Johto is just dull compared to Kanto overall. They leaned into Japanese lore and I'm like meh.
But at the same time it's the most like gen 1 so it's still good.

>> No.9620926

Because you were an impressionable young person so it became more meaningful to you

>> No.9620928

>>9620563
Yeah these are pretty shit, pineco and dunsparce are so bad I had no idea til now they were this old

>> No.9620940

>>9620581
>Pokemon selection offers more Pokemon this time around yet it FEELS like there's less somehow, it's bizarre, it feels like a struggle to get a nice team going earlier on when you want to
I agree, all the new pokemon at the start are not that interesting except Spinarak. Put Sentret, Hoothoot, and Ledyba next to Pidgey, Rattata, Caterpie...it's not that exciting.
You don't get access to Mareep and Wooper until after the first gym, and some caves don't have any new pokemon at all. It's still just Zubats lol.
Houndour is not available until you get to fucking Kanto.

>> No.9621303 [DELETED] 

>comfy
>unique vibe
>characterful
>soulful
None of these words mean anything, zoomer. Learn to properly critique video games instead of muh soul.

>> No.9621330

>>9620369
It felt huuuge and with the day and night cycle, plus certain events only happening on specific days - almost alive. There's a good hack of 2nd gen games called Pokemon Crystal Clear that works on flashcarts, makes the game truly open-ended, adds fuckloads of starters, trainer and backpack customization, new questlines and mechanics etc. but the author also went full retard and turned 95% of NPCs black. Now normally I wouldn't have much of a problem with it, I get that representation matters and it's cool that a black kiddo can make his/her own trainer with matching skin tone and all that, I wouldn't even care if, say, 20% of NPCs would get turned black - it's whatever. But I shit you not the guy turned almost everyone, literally everyone in the game black. For a game based on Japan (if Kanto wasn't a dead giveaway) it looks dumb as fuck. And there's the new self-insert E4 represented by the author and his buddies, which is mad cringe, but beyond that it's really enjoyable and does bring a breath of fresh air to the game if you've finished it a bunch of times throughout the years already. Just wish he'd go a bit less, how should I put it nicely... woke.

>> No.9621336

>>9621330
Forgot to add, haven't tried it, but there's another similar hack for gen 3 games called Pokemon R.O.W.E and I've heard plenty of anons praise it to high heavens in terms of open-ended Pokemon modifications, supposedly it blows Crystal Clear out of the water, but I haven't tried it yet, so can't vouch for it personally. Still, plenty of people were buzzing about it, so if you guys wanna play some Pokemon and are tired of replaying the same shit over and over again, you should probably check it out at some point. I'll get to it eventually myself most likely.

>> No.9621384

>>9621330
There's Polished Crystal if you want something closer to the typical Crystal experience without all of the pozz. I'm surprised nobody has a fork that reverts all of that dumb shit honestly

>> No.9621401
File: 10 KB, 160x430, EveeEvosNoFullEVs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Despite being a huge fan of gen1,
I never really liked gen2 (gen 3 even less I guess), it felt more like gen1++ than anything. I mean you have 100 new mons but most of the game you can barely catch a few and most of everything is hidden to the point your pokédex will be 75% empty regarding gen2 exclusives by the name of the game (meaning you haven't even SEEN them), and trainers barely use them either.

I remember playing the "5% translated" Japanese ROM emulated months before gen2 was released in the west (anyone else remember that?) and it probably spoiled me, disappointed me. Had I waited and bought the game at release I would probably have been more interested, but by the time it got released, I had long lost interest in Pokémon as a whole.

One thing I wish I had gotten into gen 2 earlier for though is the connectivity towards gen1. The best thing I got from gen 2 was hatching three Evees, sending them to Yellow at the start of the game, and using them as starters (which works really well due to the move changes for Evee evos in Yellow because the rival uses it as a starter). Moving certain mons back&forth accross gens to teach them moves they can't learn otherwise in their corresponding gen is awesome too.

I actually enjoyed gen4 more than 2 and 3, despite the [buzzword]-less graphics

>> No.9621406

>>9621330
editing the NPC palette in an emulator with a debugging tools probably only takes a 1 minute if you know what you're doing

Reverting the E4, maybe 30-120 mins depending on how it's handled

>> No.9621412

>>9620928
>I had no idea til now they were this old

Yep and I keep hearing that from people about many gen 2 mons (not knowing they originated in gen2), and that's exactly my point in my previous point: most of the them are so hidden you will spend your playthrough without even seeing them once

>> No.9621438

>>9621401
>I remember playing the "5% translated" Japanese ROM emulated months before gen2 was released in the west (anyone else remember that?)
Yeah I dont remember how I got that in the fucking schoolyard lol but I did get to try it.
I don't remember being majorly disappointed or anything, it's just there's only so much you can do. Mostly I was excited and curious about the new starters.

>> No.9621443

>>9620593
>>9620594
I'll give you some of these, Kanto could have used a little more to do, and I had no idea they literally shrunk it quite so much, but honestly as a kid my overall impression was "wow I'm so glad Kanto is more chill in this game :)" I really did not want to schlep through fucking Seafoam Islands or anything again at that point.

>> No.9621447

>>9620369
>Why did Gen 2 of Pokemon have such a comfy and unique vibe compared to all other gens? The world, the music, the sprites, it's all just so characterful and soulful in a way that even the other 2D Pokemon games are not.
peak pokemon, the one sequel that actually improved over the original

>> No.9621458
File: 7 KB, 160x144, pol crys box wip.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9620593
If you play Polished Crystal rom hack it fully restores Kanto and adds an improved box system and many other improvements. the 9bit version als has more Pokemon, mostly later evos like Magnezone and Magmortar.

>> No.9621520

>>9621458
I want to try polished but I also want to play with Stadium 2. Supposedly it's compatible but I dunno how you'd really do that on an N64

>> No.9621532

>>9621384
If I want a Crystal hack, I'll get Crystal 251. All I need is all Pokemon available and some light enhancements that otherwise don't alter the base game.

>> No.9621593

Is it any wonder why I never bothered to play any subsequent Pokemon titles? I knew something was off about third gen and decided not to bother with the franchise ever again.

>> No.9621628

Because you were 9 when you first played it

>> No.9621710

>>9620928
I just replayed Blue and Gold the other week, and the movepool and TM availability in the new Pokémon are so bad it’s ridiculous. RBY sort of has a tend where later game Pokémon have better moves or varied move sets. Pokémon that look cool or appealing to use, like Heracross or Geiger, have ridiculously narrow move pools even with TMs. It’s very frustrating
Wooper/Ampharos basically carry the game before Kant, unless you use a Kant Pokémon which feels disappointing after RBY because all your good options ( machop, , nidoran , geodude, zubat) are all common ones.

>> No.9621794

>>9621710
Would love a hack where different natures have different movepools. I'm sure someone has already done this.

>> No.9621798 [DELETED] 

>>9620563
soul/soulless

>> No.9621802

>>9621794
That would be a huge amount of work for almost no gain. Think of how many hours it would take to make 24 different move-pools for hundreds of Pokemon.

>> No.9621807

>>9621802
Just have a slightly randomized pool for each type. I'm talking like "ooh this one got fire spin instead of fire blast at level 40 instead of 42!". Because otherwise, despite tiny stat changes that make no difference in singleplayer, every mon you get is the same as every other one you got of that type. Some way to make them unique would be cool, and moves seem like the obvious knob to turn.

>> No.9621816

>>9620369
i feel more nostalgia for gs than i do for rb and i grew up on rb, i only emulated gs in middle school years later
all the improvements they did like the day night system, your mom calling you on the cellphone, events like red gyrados made the game feel populated and alive

>> No.9621817

>>9621807
I just think a casual player wouldn't even notice it and the kind of person who cares would be breeding for perfect natures anyway.

>> No.9621831

>>9621794
Part of the reason I replay Gen 1/2 is the lack of nature shit, its especially annoying on rarer Pokemon. I know newer gens let you change natures but it activate my autism looking for the best nature

>> No.9621856
File: 71 KB, 291x343, 1405282271141.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One of my biggest vidya-related regrets is not having played the Gen 2 Pokemon games when they came out. I played the absolute shit out of Gen 1, and was stoked when I heard about Gen 2. The wait for it seemed eternal to me at the time, though. Eventually the Japanese game came out, and IIRC I even downloaded a ROM for it and tried playing it, but obviously didn't get far. By the time the actual game came out here, I think I was already turning off of Pokemon and was getting hardcore into Zelda and FF instead. I did replay Gen 1 a couple of times during that time frame, though, so maybe I just turned into a stuffy Genwunner in record time, I dunno. Whatever the case, It took like a decade before I touched another Pokemon game, namely Emerald, Lead Green and Platinum. I did get Soul Silver, but I think having played the previous three nigh back-to-back burned me out, with the last straw being me forgetting to save and turning it off after hours of progress (I was tired and possibly drunk lol). I know I can always pick it up, whether the original or the DS remake, but I always get this nagging feeling that I already "missed the boat" on it and any magic it held would be lost on me, sort of like when I played ALttP after OoT, and so I always hesitate and decide against it.

Thanks for reading my blog.

>> No.9621867

>>9620563
Ursaring mogs the entirety of gen 1.

>> No.9621873

>>9621856
You're overthinking it. I played Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest V for the first time last year. Maybe I would have a different relationship with them if I played them as a boy but I still really enjoyed them. The only games you can truly "miss the boat" on are multiplayer games.

>> No.9621893

>>9621873
Maybe. Like I said, I think back to ALttP and how I just don't feel its magic the way so many who grew up with it do. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game, and I've played and beat it at least three or four times across emulation, the actual SNES cartridge and the GBA port, but I'm always left thinking that it just doesn't feel as monumental as it apparently was, so I conclude that I just "had to be there" when it was the peak of its genre. Funnily enough, though, I absolutely "get it" for the first Zelda and even Zelda II, which I absolutely love despite its bullshit, and I played and beat those even later, probably because they are still quite unique in what they do, whereas ALttP is, in many ways, the prototype model for literally everything that came after, so despite doing it first much of it felt "been there done that", but more barebones, so to speak.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread too much. Perhaps I just need to bite the bullet and finally dive in. Crystal is the usual go-to, yes?

>> No.9621907

>>9621893
Not that anon, but I hope you plan on emulating Crystal, since it happens to run stupid high prices because the Nintendo Tax is real.

>> No.9621908

>>9621438
> it's just there's only so much you can do

I want as far as the puzzle with the alphabet-mons (whatever the fuck their name is again), at which point I couldn't figure out what to do with garbled text

>> No.9621912

>>9621893
>Crystal is the usual go-to, yes?
If you wanna play the games in color, yes. Biggest addition is the BattleTower, basically postgame content that was missing in Silver and Gold. Them two games run on the original monochrome GBs though AND you can play them on Super GameBoy adapter for the SNES as well, where they actually do get colorized. Some towns might end up looking a bit weird, but the Pokemon sprites themselves really pop.

>> No.9621915

>>9621907
It's probably sitting in a drawer in my folks' home, but I do have the actual cartridge (I even replaced the battery at some point, but it might need replacing again for all I know). If I do tackle it, it'll probably be emulated on my N3DS.

>> No.9621930

>>9621893
>>9621915
>Crystal is the usual go-to, yes?
For Gen2, yes, but if you want the vanilla game without any need to trade, get the Crystal 251 hack
>ALL Pokemon available in one way or another
>Cut areas (Viridian Forest, Mewtwo's cave, etc.) are restored
>Rewards from Mystery Gift and the Stadium games are obtainable in-game
>No balance or plot changes otherwise

>> No.9621938

>>9620563
Why do so many Gen 2 mons look like plushies?
Is it true they were made so they would be easier to animate and make mech of?
That sounds soulless

>> No.9621945
File: 451 KB, 1238x700, 1659968970590.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9621938
>"I see. Most Pokemon in Gold & Silver were of the cute variety, but this time…”
>Sugimori: “Indeed, there were a lot of kiddy designs, and some fans were starting to say Pokemon had become too babyish, so one theme for Ruby & Sapphire was returning to the coolness of monsters.
>“In your previous interview at the time of Gold & Silver (February 2000 issue), you said when you were designing Pokemon, you had to consider merchandising, and that created some constraints.”
>Sugimori: “Rather than constraints, I’d say we were careful about a lot of things. Like we’d say ‘if we don’t make a Pokemon this way, they’ll be difficult to animate in the TV show.’ We didn’t really think about those kinds of things this time, which might be bad for the anime staff and independent artists.”

>> No.9621958

>>9621945
>make a great design
>make it worse so Koreans don't have a hard time animating for your mediocre toy commercial
Wow, that's retarded

>> No.9621962

>>9620369
it's extremely rural and half the towns are about living with nature and alongside pokemon. the only major disruption to these people's lives is team rocket. it's a good contrast to kanto or the later games which try to add so much location diversity that it feels artificial. Johto feels like a small place, to its benefit.

>> No.9622049

>>9621628
More like 27 (it was earlier this year)

>> No.9622069

>>9620379
>monster designs weren't fucking retarded
Unown
>n-no they were sovl-
They were shit THEN and shit NOW

>> No.9622249

gen 3 was already getting pretty soulless in designs. now that the franchise has gone 3d bullshit its not even worth looking at the franchise anymore.

>> No.9622778

>>9621628
WRONG!
I was 10.

>> No.9622782

>>9620617
comfy af

>> No.9622787

>>9622069
no, sorry, unowns are weird because they are tied to a specific spooky location, something that modern pokemans won't do anymore because they are more concerned about selling plushes 10 years down the line than actually having monsters fit the setting of the RPG you're playing

>> No.9622796

>>9622787
>unowns are weird because they are tied to a specific spooky location,
>Ancient Japanese ruins
>It's the fucking English alphabet with an eye

>> No.9622829

>>9620369
It fleshed out and fixed the bugs of Gen one before going all happy go lucky like Gen three onward

>> No.9623391

>>9620581
>one of the few things everyone can agree was irritating about Gen 1, being forced to use unwanted HMs or resort to HM slaves is double downed on in Gen 2 adding multiple new HMs you never wanted ensuring you MUST have a HM slave this time and late game too
shit like that makes me so mad

>> No.9623434
File: 695 KB, 2522x772, Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 9.54.31 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

oh boy I'm so excited to play Pokemon gold!
I sure hope these pokemon have good movepools, are available before the end of the game, and are attainable by a single person!
It sure would suck if these Pokemon were borderline unplayable for bad movesets, impossible to get until super late in game, or need a trade to use!

>> No.9623934

>>9622796
Unown were tackled on the top of the everything else because they still had a tiny bit of space left on the cart and figured they could add a tiny quest and an additional GameBoy Printer functionality to the game as a gimmick. The design is lame DESU and if memory serves me right, the stats are atrocious, so they're not even viable for any teams.

>> No.9623938

>>9623434
I think Heracross can be found relatively early on, but enjoy headbutting trees for hours.

>> No.9623947

>>9623434
>he doesn't have two transfer paks
ngmi

>> No.9623956

Could anyone recommend more Pokemon ROMhacks? I'm getting an emulation machine (RP3+) soon and want to play some.

>> No.9623958

>>9623947
>he doesn't dump the save files from the original cartridges to PC using a flasher, generate perfectly legal Pokemon and reinject the save files to the carts
NGMI

>> No.9624121

>>9623938
He can but his moveset sucks. You're relying on a pretty good attack stat to carry the lack of STAB or variety in general. Fucker can't even learn the one decent fighting TM in the game.
Gligar is also trash. Skarmory is ok
Azurill, Xatu, Jumpluff, all mediocre or shit movepools
Furret-shit move pool, but surprisingly varied TM usage makes it a decent early game bro.
Generally I try to use "new" pokemon in a game but Gen II made that hard when so many of the felt like dead weight on a team. Even the TMs feel worse in a lot of ways.

>> No.9624226

>>9623434
you mean those mons are in Gold? I thought they originated in gen3/4

*chuckles*

>> No.9624313

>>9624121
Ohh you're talking competitively or while going through the Battle Tower / Stadium challenges? Then yeah not the greatest Pokemon available. But in terms of just finishing the games, I always rolled with the Pokemon I enjoyed design-wise. Don't think there was a single Pokemon game you couldn't absolutely steamroll by just focusing on your starter, at least initially. Every single Elite Four can be destroyed by a combination of your starter plus a few "shitmons", they don't even need to participate in a fight properly other than reviving and/or healing your main Pokemon when the need arises. The games are charming, but they're very easy. Black and White and their sequels upped the ante with the Battle Subway, but before that it was all mostly smooth sailing.

>> No.9624354

>>9624226
You thought wrong

*unsheathes katana*

>> No.9624424
File: 39 KB, 887x653, unownmoves.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9623934
>if memory serves me right, the stats are atrocious, so they're not even viable for any teams.
niqqa stats are the least of its problems when they can only learn a single move

who wants to raise an alphabet letter anyway

>> No.9624447

>>9624424
Well sheeeit forgot about that, lol. Yup, that's a shitmon alright. Printing them out was fun though.

>> No.9625958

>>9621962
I think you hit the nail on the head, and why I like Johto so much. Hoenn and Sinnoh are also good regions but Unova onwards felt more like theme parks than spaces where people would live. Anon's point about the day/night cycle and timed events rings true too.

>> No.9625982

>>9624121
quite frankly, complaining about shitmons is not in the spirit of pokemon. some pokemon just have bad stats. it should not and did not stop kids from taking azumarill to the elite 4. The fact that you have a bond with the shitmon matters more than the shitmon being as strong as the others.

>> No.9626000

>>9624424
Can you have a team of 6 UNOWN in competitive?

>> No.9626015

>>9626000
I have to assume it would run afoul of the "no duplicate pokemon" rule.

>> No.9626018

>>9625982
supremely based

>> No.9626024

Because Gen 2 is the Real Series Finale of Pokemon everything after is Non Canon

>> No.9626154

>>9621401

>I remember playing the "5% translated" Japanese ROM emulated months before gen2 was released in the west (anyone else remember that?) and it probably spoiled me, disappointed me. Had I waited and bought the game at release I would probably have been more interested, but by the time it got released, I had long lost interest in Pokémon as a whole.

I did this and I feel the same. I just spoiled the eventual release for myself.

I remember that version of the game having an owl as the desktop icon for some reason, and the translation was pretty good until you got about 7 badges in. Downloading that back in the day was like some sort of voodoo magic though. Being able to play a hype-as-fuck game that wasn't even out yet...

I wish I'd delayed my gratification but it's not that simple when you're 11

>> No.9626460 [DELETED] 

>>9621303
>souless bot mad that it cant relate when people say things like soul
many such cases.

>> No.9626650

Its the late 90s tech. Perfect for Pokemon.

>> No.9626702

>>9621401
>I remember playing the "5% translated" Japanese ROM emulated months before gen2 was released in the west (anyone else remember that?)
I remember playing something like that. It basically only translated Pokémon names the best they could with only being able to use 5 characters, items and moves. I think maybe towns were translated too? Everything else was still in Japanese. I specifically remember that they had fucked up and swapped the names for Psychic and Psywave around.
Kinda wish I still had that old translation around. I wonder if there has been any effort to archive these old quick and dirty fan translations? I remember playing them for gens 2 to 5, before they just started releasing the games at the same date worldwide. I think I still have the fan translation for gen5, but that's not retro.

>> No.9626749

>>9620563
>>9620579
>>9621798
Gen2 designs look fine and it was the last time that designs sorta stayed true to the original trademark.

There are however a couple of designs that I think are retarded. Like unown. Not only is it functionally useless, it's lackluster as a "secret pokemon" and there are 28 or so of them and the design itself sucks.
Tyrogue is kind of weird and sort of a one-off pokemon. And as someone else mentioned, the baby pokemon were kind of unnecessary, I think they really just wanted to showcase the new breeding system.

>> No.9626963

>>9620579
>why not point out some of the ones you don't like and explain why?
Hoot Hoot was the first prototypical circleblob mon nu-Pokemon shits out and pales badly when put along with Pidgey and Spearow

>> No.9626969 [DELETED] 

>>9621938
Why do so many Gen 2 mons look like plushies?
MERCHANDISING
E
E
C
H
A
N
D
I
S
I
N
G

>> No.9626972

>>9621938
>Why do so many Gen 2 mons look like plushies?
MERCHANDISING
E
E
C
H
A
N
D
I
S
I
N
G

>> No.9627001

I don't think I'll ever really understand how gamefreak managed to squeeze in all that content onto the cartridge. Same goes for RBY, too. For the time that shit was straight up magic.

>> No.9627043
File: 1.44 MB, 7810x4608, spaceworld original map .png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9627001
inb4 a million responses explaining it wasn't gameFreak, but Iwata who helped them program more space for a fully realized Kanto.

There's a bit of a misconception that GF's original plan for Kanto was just a tiny city seen in the bottom right here. Truth is, their original plan seemed to be that you were going through the whole nation Kanto was in; a stylized Map of Japan. Tiny Kanto wouln't have been a postgame area after Johto, but the last area where the final badge would be.Its still a considerably beefy map, playing a fan attempted restoration really made me enjoy it and I think it would've been a worthy successor even like this.

>> No.9627065

>>9626749
The unknown are there as part of treating Pokemon as a sort of day-to day thing where beyond playing it as a game, you're using it to have activities with friends. SO yeah the unknown sucks as in-game pokemon, but you can totally use them to write notes you can print on the gameboy printer! Which I'm sure not many people used, but its a way to interact with he game beyond standard gameplay.

>> No.9627101

>>9627043
inb4 the one sane person pointing out that Iwata contribution had nothing to do gaining them extra space

I long for the day when that piece of misinformation stops being parroted

>> No.9627106

>>9627043
Wow, the building sprites in that look a lot better than what we got in G/S/C.

>> No.9627229

>>9627101
But it literally was. He came up with a new compression method which allowed for the rest of the map to be included

>> No.9627246

>>9627229
No that's not what happened. See reddit (yes, reddit, deal with it) /r/TruePokemon/comments/hwluk9/while_it_is_true_that_iwata_did_write_a_new/

>> No.9627286

>>9627246
Based debunker

Never forget that this happens with a lot of games, misconceptions, assumptions and lies being widespread by sheep are a common lot.

Even when something *actually* is taken straight from a dev interview (which wasn't the case) it is often misunderstood, distorted to fit the scenario in people's head, or often the dev was wrong to begin with, either because of over simplication, outright marketing lie, or just poor memory (examples: "Mega Man is made of 2 sprites", "Resident Evil is not inspired by Alone In The Dark", and "Crash Bandicoot was the first cartoony game ever and its programming concepts were never seen before")

Stop being a sheep and only trust the facts, facts taken straight ouf of the games themselves.

>> No.9627404

>>9627246
I can't believe absolutely everyone got it wrong all these years and this one redditor's interpretation is the real truth.

>> No.9627443
File: 2 KB, 160x144, pokemon-gold-japan-pr-translations-5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dunno, maybe it's like Megaman II. They knew what worked, and they only needed to improve over it while doing minimal changes to the core gameplay.

From my point of view, It was a good moment. People just wanted "more" and no one would complain about "it's exactly the same but with more color, the formula was still fresh (outside japan) so there was no need to reinvent the game and make hit or miss changes. Plenty of time to focus on the content, rather than the engine and game logic.

I hate that after getting burnout from red, playing the japanese roms and even the very early partial translations, I never got to play it when it released. Moving from high school to uni and no time for games sucked.

>> No.9627449

>>9627443
>>9626702
>>9626154
>>9621438
So it's not just me, the partial translation actually did a lot of harm

>> No.9627457

>>9627449
Heck, I still name Cyndaquill "Hinoa" in other games (that character limit in names). I played an even earlier version of the translation than in the screenshot, before the official games. Those times when people called Marill "Mariru" or "Pikablu"

>> No.9627462

>>9626702
https://digiex.net/threads/pokemon-gold-japanese-to-english-fan-translation-by-pr-translations-v2-8-download.16373/

Who knows if an early version still exists. I can check my earliest cd's of downloaded stuff from the early 2000's, but those translations predate the time I bought the first cd recorder. Heck, I had to copy the roms on floppies to bring them home from the cyber cafe.

>> No.9627532

Love these games, but it started gamefreaks habit if making certain Pokémon evolutions to complicated to figure out on your own. The games also don’t really tell you how to get these evolutions other than faint hints from npc’s. Also Pokémon distribution sucks and they make some new mons to rare. and I will never understand why gamefreak insists on making many Pokémon unusable for even a play through with poor stats or moves. Playing platinum right now as I completely skipped that generation and it is still the same shit. How could you possibly know that to evolve piloswine you need to to evolve it while it knows the move ancientpower. Obscure and ridiculous.

>> No.9627550

>>9625958
>All games before Gen6 are a separate universe where Mega Evolution doesn't exist and thus don't matter anymore
Everybody bashes the Hoenn remakes for axing the Battle Frontier, but I find this implication to be even more insulting.

>> No.9627553

>>9627532
Gamefreak was leaning into the playground rumours and word of mouth stuff that were so common in Gen 1. You'd hear it from some kid at school that your Pokemon would evolve only under certain conditions, or that you could catch a rare pokemon but only in this place at this certain time of day. I can see why some would be annoyed but I loved that sort of thing, made catching those pokemon a memorable experience and felt like an adventure unto itself. By the time Gen 3 was out, every kid was using the internet to look this stuff up so it wouldn't have been an issue anyway.

>> No.9627576

>>9627462
Did some searching yesterday and saw someone said that the goodgbx dumps apparently have a lot of the old versions of the PR gold translations. I'll have to check it out later but I don't even remember if it was the PR translations rom I even played back in the day.

>> No.9627962

>>9627043
>spaceworld
is there a fan remade version which stays true to this map?

>> No.9628008

Because Gen 2 was still based on Japan, which the devs had actual familiarity with, and was specifically trying to capture historical and more rural areas of the country as opposed to Gen I being based around post-war Tokyo.

>> No.9628052

>>9627962
Yes, there's a Spaceworld demo recreation, and Super Gold which is an attempt to do a full game+ with a huge post game area that's OC. Super Gold 97, if you're ok with the OC post-game is very good and definitely worth playing.

>> No.9628071

>>9621458
I've had this on my Steam Deck for months and haven't tried it yet. Gotta do that. May make that my yearly gen 2 replay game

>> No.9628090

>>9628052
Which of the 2 would you reccomend? I just want to get that Gen 1.5 feeling

>> No.9628121

>>9628090
Super gold 97 is the one I found most worth playing and feeling like RBY continued. It feels like it was directly made after RBY with the bonus of the post game area. I think there's one closer to working Spaceworld demo, but its incomplete and serves mainly as a curiosity since its incomplete.
Reforged is commonly recommended, but its a Crystal hack so its based more off the final graphics and thus doens't feel 1.5

>> No.9628134

>>9627550
Mega Evolution was a bandaid solution to bad game design, so I'm fine with them axing it, but they then immediately replaced it with far worse ideas and even more egregious power creep so its like one step forward and 5 steps back.

>> No.9628212

>>9628134
And then they have the gall to indirectly diss those who liked the older games that didn't have such shitty gimmicks like Mega Evolution, which is what I really dislike. Were it not for OR/AS and that stupid bitch talking about alternate universes, this likely would not have been as big a deal.

>> No.9628216

>>9627229
When someone claims a piece of information is actually just a common misconception the rational answer is to ask for a source, not to double down so you can potentially look even more like a dumbass

>> No.9628242

The clock matching up to your own time was a HUGE part of it. As the sun went down in real life, so did it in the game. It was a really clever way of creating atmosphere and immersion in a gameboy game. The music is also fantastic.

>> No.9628279

>>9628242
It was cool, but also a huge pain in the ass. Oh, it's night time but you needed to catch a Pokemon who only appears in the morning? Better turn the game off and wait now.

>> No.9628292
File: 473 KB, 1000x1000, 1552693939158.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9620563
VGH...

>> No.9628321

>>9628279
Wasn't Ledyba the only Pokemon in Gen2 that could be found specifically in mornings?

>> No.9628385

>>9628279
i guess i don't see any problem with that because you never NEED a pokemon for any gameplay purpose, just for collecting/catching them all.

and if you want to catch bugs you need to wake up in the morning, or headbutt trees, or be out when the animal you want to find is out. it doesn't feel believable if every animal is available 24 hours a day just to make it convenient for you to capture them. It harms believability of the setting for some people, just to make it easier for other people to play the game like a checklist, and that blows.

>> No.9628398

>>9628385
What harms believability is saving the game in the morning, turning it off, and when you turn it on at night and resume playing it's night time meaning your player character has been standing on the same spot the entire day. Night and day cycles are cool in theory but to have it tied to the real world is fucking stupid. The game is an abstraction, it takes 30 seconds for the character to cross an entire city, if space is compressed so should be time and it sure as fuck shouldn't pass when you're not playing.

>> No.9628409

>>9628321
Yeah, as your ass is getting ready for school

>> No.9628410

>>9628398
It is far more important for the behavior of the pokemon to be believable than the mechanics of travel.

>> No.9628424
File: 10 KB, 223x226, paras.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9620563
I really don't know what they were thinking adding so many redundant and shit pokemon. The starters are so bland. At least we needed some pure grass pokemon, but the fire and water ones are only loved by rose tinted glasses wearers.

Then you have a big mess of absolutely why? The Jumpluff line, Marcargo, various single stage trash stats, poor typing, qwilfish, aipom...and then 6 fucking babies.

There's some I don't like but can still respect as attempts were made, like gligar or bellossom. I like the idea of a split evolution, but boy did they ever waste a whole pokemon on slowking. Did we need a nearly idently pokemon to slowbro?

The world of gen is comfy, but the constant underwhelming and bad pokemon really drains the experience.

>> No.9628437

>>9628292
Playing with this fucker was the best part of playing the Spaceworld romhacks.

>>9628279
As an adult it sucks, as a kid it still sucks, but they were going for the immersion angle where you make a note to return to an area for a specific reason. Gold and silver is a lifestyle game. Even beyond the main game, they want you to pick it up and use all the features and explore for a year or more.

>> No.9628439
File: 301 KB, 1067x728, oddishevos.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9628424
I was with you until you claimed to respect bellossom.

Gen 2 is lucky gen 4 came along with such disgusting crossgen evolutions that it distracted from how awful gen 2's still were

>> No.9628452

>>9628439
We needed less grass/poison pokemon and it gave an option, piggybacking on an old line. In the psychic dominated meta, I appreciate it. It's not for me, but I see it's merit. Unlike slowking, which offers nothing dynamic outside of slowbro. Not everything can be a badass, cool edgy pokemon, and doing a cute floral hula girl thing was fine with me.

Really, thinking about it, I'll amend my statement. I remember fighting Karen and losing my shit when she had a vileplume. And thinking, is it grass/dark now?! And that would have been better. All the gengar fags can fuck off with the should have been ghost/dark that's broken af, but vileplume being grass/dark would have been fine and more interesting. Tons of missed opportunities in gen 2. Hell golbat could have been flying/dark. Don't @me with dark is evil, I know. It still makes more sense to associate bats with being evil than them being poisonous. Even still, they add crobot, who sticks to the poison line.

>> No.9628481

>>9628424
Slowking at least can be seen as a course correction to Slowbro excelling in stats that he can't use(attack/defense for a Water/Psychic Pokemon when those types are still special based only)

A lot of the game design in GSC seems like GF didn't consider cultural differences outside Japan. babies are there for the cute factor. Stuff like Pokemon being kept until the last areas of Kanto seem like they expected more experienced players to get them, and trade them to newer/younger players out of the kindness of their heart. Or that one person who found that rare pokemon would breed it and spread it around. And with the trade evolution, they expected kids to actually trust each other to do fair trades with strangers; where as here it feels like everyone was so paranoid to trade with others they bought second games, or only traded more valued Pokemon with family members
It goes back to them expecting Mew to be traded around, as opposed to everyone keeping the one Mew they could get. Its almost like they ere trying a social experiment to see how far a trade would travel.

I think part of the reason pokemon cards caught on so much here in the US is because they were easier to carry around, play, and trade than Gameboy. You could hide cards in school, or take them out with you, with gameboys you'd worry about them getting confiscated. a lot of the US is also far less dense so its harder to hang out outside of school with lots of kids, let alone strangers to trade with outside your circle. Every kid I knew who liked Pokemon that I met with almost never carried their gameboy on him Where as Japan it seems like everyone was just caring a GB all the time, probably because they had more self control as to not play it in the middle of class like an American kid might.

>> No.9628541

>>9628481
>defending slowking
you're off your ass. They're nearly identical.

>> No.9628616

>>9628481
>I think part of the reason pokemon cards caught on so much here in the US is because they were easier to carry around, play, and trade than Gameboy.
I was a kid during the peak pokemania
Card collecting was just cool at the time. Most people didn't even know how to play the tcg. We just collected them because everyone else did.
I couldn't tell you what sparked it. Just insanely good marketing I'd guess.

>> No.9628637

>>9620563
I just miss the classic watercolor art style

>> No.9628754

>>9628541
I'll be honest, I didn't check the stats and thought they boosted his Special attack. Nope, same stats except Sp Def vs def. You're right, its a waste.

>> No.9628849
File: 7 KB, 960x864, Pocket Monsters Kin (J) (V1.0) [C][T-Eng10%]-230203-215725.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9627576
This is the oldest I have. Garbage text begins even before reaching the second town. I think the first one I player was translated until the point the rival steals the other pokemon, but I don't trust my memory that much.

And from PR, I have roms from 1.0 to 2.70, then this:XS

Pocket Monsters Kin (J) (V1.1) [C][T-Engx.xx_PR].gbc

I need to check it later to see in which state it is.

>> No.9628879

>>9628754
Wasn't Slowking invented for the second movie like Lugia was and GameFreak decided to canonize it?

>> No.9628881

>>9620563
>Lickitung is gen 1
huh, always assumed it was gen 2

>> No.9628931

>>9628881
I think there was only like a single optional trainer who had it in gen 1. The trade for it was also in a pretty obscure location.

>> No.9628965

>>9621330
The only reason people want representation in media is because it makes them feel like society recognizes their existence and make them feel less marginalized or whatever. It's completely worthless in a romhack because it's just a change made by some guy on the internet. Granted, media created by large companies dosen't really reflect society's opinions either, but it gives the illusion of doing so, and that's what people are after. It's hard to pull off that illusion when you're just a random sperg on a forum.
Also, most people who are old enough to know how to use emulators and romhacks are probably too old to still care about whether or not a pixel drawing has the same skin color as them. Kids young enough to care about that probably aren't interested in playing a 20+ year old game on an emulator anyway.

>> No.9628987

>>9628849
that's definitely the one I played

>> No.9629012
File: 64 KB, 1000x1000, wynaut.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9620921
>>9620928
>Everyone complains about dunsparce, sunkern, pineco, ect.
>meanwhile NO ONE fuckles with shuckle.
Das rite.

>> No.9629017

>>9628424
>Then you have a big mess of absolutely why? The Jumpluff line
Imagine having taste this shit. Incredible.

>> No.9629215

>>9628879
even still, they could have made them be more unique. Lugia was invented by the anime, and almost got water typing, because the anime didn't actually clarify its type in the original script. Not like the anime said Slowking is nearly identical to slowbro but just looks different, they had freedom do anything.Flip the stats around more, make one faster, change the typing, anything. One of the selling points of the game was split evolutions and he's a big fat dud compared to what else was there. Politoed and Bellssom, while themselves also duds, at least are different from the other option.

>> No.9629241 [DELETED] 

>>9629017
>grass/flying
>x4 weak to ice
>trash att
>trash sp.att
>great speed
>won't learn any grass moves till at minimum 30, 3 levels after it can reach is final form
>no flying moves outside of hidden power
>3 stages of the same exact meme

Jumpluff is a prime example of should have been a 1 stage pokemon and then you know what, maybe Murkrow or Girafarig or something. Cause they austitcally clung to the 251 number. Jumpluff's line is nearly fucking unuseable, but if you actually played gen 2 you'd know this.

>> No.9629247

>>9629017
>grass/flying
>x4 weak to ice
>trash att
>trash sp.att
>great speed
>won't learn any grass moves till at minimum 30, 3 levels after it can reach is final form
>no flying moves outside of hidden power
>3 stages of the same exact meme

Jumpluff is a prime example of should have been a 1 stage pokemon and then you know what, maybe Murkrow or Girafarig or other single stages could have been expanded. 3 fucking trash pokemon denying other pokemon more forms. Cause they austitcally clung to the 251 number. Jumpluff's line is nearly fucking unuseable, but if you actually played gen 2 you'd know this.

>> No.9629351

>>9629247
>every pokemon needs to be a competitive meta pseudo-legendary statmonster
Old Pokemon was good specifically because this was not a mindset anyone involved in development had. Most mons even in Gen 2 had their own little quirk or niche that made them interesting, and while I agree that most Gen 2 mons are absolutely done dirty by their movepools or bad stat distributions, the overcorrection in upbalancing and giving Pokemon that never needed 2nd stages new evolutions are both big parts of why the Gen 4 mainline games blew cock.

>> No.9629361

>>9620563
Go back to /vp/ discord you fucking disgrace

>> No.9629373

>>9629351
did you read? it's not even useable IN GAME, not talking competitive, just a casual play through. You have to hold off evolving it till 30 to get a grass move on it. If you dont hold off you won't get a grass move on it till you're at the elite 4. And again, you'll likely never get a flying move on it. It's completely shit.

>> No.9629383

>>9629247
>Jumpluff's line is nearly fucking unuseable
If you actually played the game you'd know they fucking rocked in their tier. EQ immunity, high speed, sleek heal, spreads status like nobody's business, and had encode.
A solid pick for competitive play.

>> No.9629384

>>9629383
>sleek hea
Self heal*
Had encore*
Sorry I'll stop phone posting.
He was good though.

>> No.9629393

>>9620373
fpbp
Pokemon was still fresh back then, full of heart and soul and effort, it wasn't a McDonald's-tier cashgrab franchise yet.

>> No.9629394

>>9629383
>if you played the game
>in their tier
Then there's this asshole. We're talking about gen 2, not smogon. You have to actually use jumpluff in the game to be on your high horse about it. Also lol at at saying it's good in its tier, is so trash it's only good in meta without other good pokemon.

>> No.9629398

>>9620593
>>9620594
Did they add complete Kanto in the remakes?

>> No.9629407

>>9629394
>We're talking about gen 2, not competitive
You can beat gen 2 with a pidgey.
Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

>> No.9629409

>>9629247
>>9629373
Why does every pokemon need to be good? The fun of Pokemon is having a wide variety of monsters to choose from, including trashy losers that trick kids into using them and not realizing how bad they are.

>> No.9629419

>>9629407
If you're comfortable with pokemon not offering the mechanics the game is centered on, then why even play pokemon at this point? You might as well play something else.

Also, you can't beat gen 2 with pidgey, you'll need HM slaves and I beat you'll lose to whitney till you grind that fucker out to 50+

>> No.9629423

>>9629419
You really don't appreciate status effects do you?

>> No.9629432

>>9629423
you can only inflict one, so whats the point of having 3? Also many fights the trainers use full restore or full heal.

>> No.9629439

>>9629409
They should at least offer what the game does. A grass type with no grass moves? You catch it in hopes to beat water and ground, not just tackle. Tricking kids is easy, and that's what a pokemon like this does, tricks children.

>> No.9629443

>>9629432
>Also many fights the trainers use full restore or full heal.
Almost no common Trainers ever bother with healing items. I've only ever seen major foes (Gym Leaders, Elites, Rivals, etc.) use them.

>> No.9629448

>>9629393
i saw good point about this. pokemon was the main part of the franchise, everything was built around it. now, pokemon is only a single piece of the pie.

>> No.9629450

>>9628849
I played that poorly translated version on shitty smygb emulator.
Some attacks and pokemons had tendency to crash the game (wild magneton , golem, phanpy, protect, lock-on, detect maybe more) had you occur something like this?
i remember erika had 127lv octillery

>> No.9629465

>>9629439
>Tricking kids is easy, and that's what a pokemon like this does, tricks children.
That's not a bad thing. It can be fun to look back on ways you tried to play as a kid that you now realize are just utter trash. Plus, there's nothing wrong with having some garbage mons that people can love to hate on together and it can even be fun to try to force trash mons to work. And for challenge runs like Nuzlocke they can add drama when you end up stuck with them.

>> No.9629472

>>9629443
getting into semantics, I said many, not all. And you flat ignored my other point. Jumpluff objective;y and subjectively is bad, end of story.

>> No.9629479
File: 1.31 MB, 1122x716, iwata.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9627246
Shut your retard mouth, niggerfaggot
>>9627286
>Stop being a sheep and only trust the facts, facts taken straight ouf of the games themselves.
Pic related.
>>9627404
kek

>> No.9629481

>>9629465
>Plus, there's nothing wrong with having some garbage mons that people can love to hate on together
I agree, but Id say about half of the johto pokemon were either trash, or poorly implemented that their relevance was severely hurt.
>nuzlocke
ok, Im done replying.

>> No.9629484

>>9629439
Pokemon was created to give city kids a chance to experience what it is like to go into the woods and capture & collect insects, and to look at all the different kinda of animals
Simulated cock fights, while the majority of the game, were not the prime reason behind its development.
Not everything was meant to spam out 140 power stab moves with pseudo-legendary stats. Some were made to be cute, to look mysterious, to act as support for a team, or to just look cool. Not every animal is a tiger. Not every pokemon is a sweeper.

>> No.9629493
File: 76 KB, 864x1006, viridianhgss.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9629398
it was definitely more fleshed out than the og GSC but I wouldn't say complete

>> No.9629506

>>9629398
Kinda.
>Viridian Forest, Mewtwo's Cave, and Seafoam Islands are restored
>The old Safari Zone is now a Pal Park for picking up Gen3 transfers
>Mt. Moon is still a pointless single tunnel and Cinnabar Island is still destroyed
>Still can't go upstairs at Silph Co. or the Pokemon-turned-Radio Tower

>> No.9629558 [DELETED] 

>>9629479
>game developers never lie or misremember facts about their previous employees' accomplishments
Please stay in school. Graduating will help you get a big boy job so maybe you can find out firsthand what it's like to work in a white-collar environment.

>> No.9629574 [DELETED] 

>>9629558
You should stop posting on 4chan and get back to mopping the floor at shart mart, faggot

>> No.9629582

>>9629398
Duh, are you fucking stupid or what?

>> No.9629593 [DELETED] 

>>9629574
Sounds like someone's anxious about their post-grad employment opportunities. It's okay, I'm sure you'll land an internship somewhere before it's too late. Don't forget to workshop that resume! Just remember: everyone lies. Don't be afraid to stretch the truth a little, just like Game Freak does.

>> No.9629658

>>9627286
Using the word 'sheep' unironically makes me instantly discard your opinion, no exceptions.

>> No.9629760

>>9628385
>i guess i don't see any problem with that because you never NEED a pokemon for any gameplay purpose, just for collecting/catching them all
I never was a "catch em all" player, I only ever caught the team of 6 I planned on training, and whatever I'm forced to use for the useless HMs while I need them.

That being said, I am also "I wanna raise the Pokemon I like" kinda player, I don't really experiment or just train any random Pokemon I catch, so this makes the day/night only Pokemon a bigger pain in the ass for me.

It's like, ok I'm playing Crystal and I want Growlithe, but it only appears in the day and I'm playing at night, well I have two options....turn the game off and change my schedule to catch a Pokemon, or continue on playing and miss the opportunities to train my would be freshly caught Pokemon organically without having to grind and play catch up

Like I said I understand the gimmick and it was a cool thing to me, at first, but ultimately it just halts gameplay and drags the game out. If that was the intention of the game, to make you only play it for little bits at specific times, fair enough I guess but as someone who started with Gen 1, that's not how I played those games, I would play Pokemon for hours at a time

It also creates the problem of never knowing exactly which Pokemon are where unless you visit each area more than once, or use a guide...and that's also kind of annoying. Obviously if you played the game multiple times and memorize locations, you'll have some idea, but the point remains.

>> No.9629774

>>9629760
>I want a growlithe
>but I don't want to interact with the world in any specific way to achieve my goal of catching growlithe
>I just want the game to give me ownership of the digital spritesheet of the Thing I Recognize so I can stop playing this videogame I claim to like faster
Unironically, the Pokemon fanbase are the most terminally autistic retards that have ever disgraced the planet.
>why would I go out of my way to catch a cool monster in this videogame about catching cool monsters?

>> No.9629795 [DELETED] 
File: 491 KB, 500x200, 1660488149619208.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9629593
Wow that must have sounded really badass in your head

>> No.9629798 [DELETED] 

>>9629774
Pokemon in Gen 1 was "find location of Pokemon you want, search for it, catch it", that's the expectation I had as an original Pokemon fan who started with Gen 1, and they changed that and made it more complex than it needs to be, it's a small change that actually drastically changes how you play the game.

Like I said, it limits when/how you play the game which is annoying, and if you're really suggesting it's "fun" to make most of your progress through a game with a more incomplete team than you want, then have to return to catch Pokemon you missed later and grind them up to match the levels of the Pokemon you have, that they could have had by organic training against new trainers and Pokemon in the area, I think you're the autistic one.

>> No.9629815

>>9629774
Pokemon in Gen 1 was "find location of Pokemon you want, search for it, catch it", that's the expectation I had as an original Pokemon fan who started with Gen 1, and they changed that and made it more complex than it needs to be, it's a small change that actually drastically changes how you play the game.

Like I said, it limits when/how you play the game which is annoying, and if you're really suggesting it's "fun" to make most of your progress through a game with a more incomplete team than you want, then have to return to catch Pokemon you missed later and grind them up to match the levels of the Pokemon you have, that they could have had by organic training against new trainers and Pokemon in the area, I think you're the autistic one.

I'm sorry, but it's not good to potentially play a game for like 15 minutes then have to stop and wait till the next day because you came across an area where there's a Pokemon you want who isn't available but don't want to progress without it.

>> No.9629835 [DELETED] 
File: 33 KB, 500x334, 1611387308937.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9629795
Glad you admit it, zoomfriend. Keep that GPA up, I believe in you.

>> No.9629946

>>9625958
In general, GameFreak's work on Pokemon was at its best when they were basing all the settings and culture on their native Japan.

>> No.9630159 [DELETED] 
File: 118 KB, 268x221, Zoomer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9629835
I haven't thought about my GPA since I was as underage as you

>> No.9630196

>>9629484
Primary development is not relevant to final outcome. The main game is the fights. Pokemon not having moves of their own type goes against what the American marketing was pushing. They didn't push think outside the box or teaching kids about party roles like tank and support. Suggesting in anyway it's ok for a pokemon to not have access to its primary or secondary type is ok will only serve to disappoint children. You're making this very binary. It doesn't need to be a sweeper, but you're stuck defending it cause special snowflake. It's not even very capable within it's niche. So you're argument fails there. Some pokemon were designed to be weak in gen 1 as a means to be easy to defeat in the game. Gen followed this and shouldnt have. Saying its ok for something to be awful in a game really is just some special snowflake bullshit. Go play a game full of bugs and glitches, like gen 1.

>> No.9630197 [DELETED] 
File: 161 KB, 391x341, 426715495281.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9630159
Love you too bro. You'll make it someday.

>> No.9630429

>>9629479
Yeah, I think that this is all the necessary proof, not some fanfic headcanon. This is literally the development team, speaking from their perspective about someone else's accomplishments.

>> No.9630467
File: 127 KB, 625x1308, iwata_code.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9630429
The gen 2 source code from the gigaleak shows otherwise. That little tribute to a beloved late CEO's work is heartfelt, but inaccurate. I wouldn't expect any of GF's team in the 3DS era to remember or even know how Iwata's ancient code worked anyway

>> No.9630469 [DELETED] 

>>9629558
>redditors never lie or fabricate
least gullible 4chinner

>> No.9630501

>>9629479
The guy who wrote that dialogue probably didn't work on gold and silver.

>> No.9630568

>>9629479
Not what I meant, that dialogue is more like an interview than a fact derived from the game.
What I meant was:
dev interview:
>Mega Man dev claims the trick to make Mega Man look good was that it was "two sprites overlapping" which allowed him to use 2 different palettes
check game code and art:
>it's actually 7-9 sprites depending on the frame
>overlapping sprites and using two different palette slots for the protagonist of Famicom games had been an extremely common technique for years, but the dev didn't say that so people think *they* came up with this amazing feat

and the sheeple still believe it to this day

>>9629658
Did I offend you, sheeple?

>> No.9630630

>>9626000
Only if you spell a certain word

>> No.9630646

>>9630568
>>9629479
also unless you're still dwelling in your mom's basement, you should know how work environments go. Managers and bosses often have no clue what really goes and how things are really made, even colleagues often don't know about each other's work, and facts and rumours are often distorted. If you've never had anything you ever did at work get distorted by colleagues talking with each others (whether they made it sound better or worse than it was), then you've never worked in your life.
Video game companies are no exception. This is what people should consider when they read interviews, on top of the obvious fact that interviews are marketing tools, in most cases it's not "let's share some dev anecdotes because people enjoy that!" but "what can we say that make people buy the game and that is good for my carreer!"

also, devs taking known compression routines and making their own variations had been a thing since the mid 80's. By 1999 it was routine work. Why did Iwata do it even though it was not his job? I want to avoid speculations, we'll never know the truth, but my point is it does show a dysfunctionment; which they managed to turn into something that sounds amazing (whether that was intentional or not)

>> No.9630652 [DELETED] 

>>9630568
>Did I offend you, sheeple?
No it just means you never developed mentally beyond the age of 17. That's okay though.

>> No.9630665

>>9630646
again that's just more headcanon shit, I am not going to take my time reading all of that or hold your words with any more merit than those which are explicitly stated by those who made the game. I am not sure why you are on a mission to discredit people but no one really cares.

>> No.9630681

>>9630665
It's not about discrediting anyone, it's about whether one person would rather choose to believe in words rather than facts.
In many cases true facts are hard to come by, but in the case of video games one can easily look at the code and data within the games, and find out when they contradict the words. Like in this case and the other example I provided. Yet you still keep on believing the words.

>> No.9630983

>>9630467
>dates range from 1989 to 1994
This shows what exactly?

>> No.9630992

>>9630652
A sheep is just someone who doesn't think for themselves and is led around by others/vulnerable to groupthink, if you get bothered by the usage of that word, you've probably got real issues

>> No.9632236

>>9630196
>Go play a game full of bugs and glitches, like gen 1.
It works on my machine.

>> No.9632321

All this arguing over whether Gen1 and 2 Pokemon had combat potential is moot when the overall movepool outright sucks and the TMs are wasted on worthless shit like Water Gun and Softboiled. GameFreak didn't start actually taking the combat aspect seriously until Gen3.

>> No.9632436
File: 17 KB, 737x678, iwata.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9630983
You know the Game Boy and NES used similar architectures, right? Assembly code can be and was reused quite frequently, as shown with some of the code Iwata repurposed to "help" GF with gold/silver. I suggest finding a copy of the gigaleak and checking some of it out yourself, it's quite interesting.

>> No.9632459

This thread reminds me of the time I tried to debunk the popular myth that DK64 needed the expansion pak just to solve a bug before shipping the game out, and the person kept trying to refute me by linking the original interview that I already had addressed and criticized, smugly, as though I hadn't actually ever heard the original claim before.

>> No.9632545
File: 125 KB, 591x414, perish_song.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9620563
They're not all winners, but there's plenty of good ones, and there's some weaker ones in Gen 1 as well. Babymons were kind of a dubious gimmick for the games themselves, essentially an extended stage of the egg, but it was some neat detail, and added some more content to the Pokédex.
They were obviously strongly motivated by merchandising, and maybe expanding their girl demographic a bit (even though Pokémon seemed like it was quite popular with girls already), but they seemed to have not given Babymons much more focus after Gen 2, maybe it didn't have the in game function or market effect they were hoping for.

Misdreavus is 200% perfect though, hence the Pokédex number. Adorable and mischievous ghost who's obnoxious to catch but fun to fight with.

>>9620517
Maybe some did, but I think it was very obvious with how Pokémon took off like a rocket in Japan, and then every other market they introduced it to, the game and merchandising was a giga phenomenon. The writing was on the wall well before Gen 2 was even released.

>>9620581
They definitely put in a lot of features just because they thought it would be cool to show off, and to make it come off as more advanced, not maybe thinking as much about implementation as they should have. The day and night cycle I think was worth implementing just on the visual side, it adds atmosphere and makes the world feel more alive, nocturnal Pokémon added more of a point to it, maybe in a tedious way, but not so badly that it hurt the game.
For the added HMs, I would say that it got to the point of bloat, yeah.

>> No.9632747

>>9632321
I find the movepools decent enough in Gen 1, moreso than Gen 2. I have little trouble making even shitty Gen 1 Pokemon hold their own, where as there's a bunch of final Gen 2 evos that learn nothing good.
They're first two gens move pools are fine for glorified bug fights, not so much for more elaborate online battling sure; but there's something charming about not every Pokemon being a sweeper or having a good STAB move. Gen 3 sort of began making the combat boring where you just got element equivalents for every type could have their Flamethrower/Thunderbolt equivalent, which starts to become dull. There's something charming about the dragon's strongest move being a normal type one. STAB used to be a bonus, not expected.

>> No.9633148

>>9632321
This is too radical idea for some people, that a game should have logical selections for many option available. That you should just use pokemon they didn't put any thought into for fun or the challenge. It's nearly a "not everyone hates sitting in traffic" argument.

>> No.9633174

>>9632459
The trouble is, it's just a bunch of people making baseless claims and trying to pass it off as grounds for disproving something that shouldn't even need disproven. Some guy even went on about "Oh the probably just had poor office communication that day and that's why everyone got it wrong for so many years" and then told everyone else that they were believing words over fact. It's getting kind of hilarious.

The only thing I've seen with a plausible argument is the reddit post. But I'll admit, I don't actually know enough about what he's saying to say "Yeah, he's right." and nor does anyone else in this thread.

>> No.9633179

>>9620593
With the decompilation projects available for Pokemon has anyone gone about adding full Kanto into Gold/Silver?

>> No.9633217

>>9633179
Yes, Polished Crystal has it. Wait for the new release coming soon(TM).

>> No.9633245
File: 31 KB, 650x495, 1670616499291905.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9628398
That's that stupidest gripe I've ever heard. This must be fake.

>> No.9633337

>>9632747
I get what you're saying, but they didn't even make moves accessible. It's nice fighting, bug and rock ect. were different. What's the point if they cant get the moves? It becomes more of a pain to try to use a bug type centered around fury cutter. You call it charm, sure, dragon breath is neat, but what's more neat is if bug types can get bug moves that aren't shit.

>> No.9633372

>>9633217
It'd be badass if it was so complete you could choose to start the game in either Kanto or Johto and travel to the other one for post-game.

>> No.9633379

>>9633174
I'm on office guy's side though. It seems to me the main proof was the reddit post itself, and the other examples were just meant to illustrate a) how plausible the theory is and b) why the more common myth is told today, they weren't mean to be proofs in themselves.

The office explanation is funnily enough the actual legitimate explanation for the DK64 myth I mentioned earlier. Rare kept all their departments very competitive, and none of them were allowed to see what the other teams were working on, and the rumor was spread by an employee who never worked on the game and was totally kept out of the dark about a deal with Nintendo they had made in the middle of development.

>> No.9633384

>>9620373
This

>> No.9633617

>>9628398
>he didn't always save the game while near a bed or a cushion in a pokemon center so that his toon could fall asleep while not playing
get a load of this fag

>> No.9633625
File: 360 KB, 427x521, 1672686426747595.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9633617
>toon

>> No.9633632
File: 30 KB, 300x418, BulbasaurBaseSet44.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9628616
>I couldn't tell you what sparked it.
Kids liked seeing artwork of the pokemon in various dynamic poses, it made them feel more alive after playing the games with their static sprites on blank backgrounds. The fact that some cards were more rare than others only made them want them more, for bragging rights.

>> No.9633807

>>9621330
>but the author also went full retard and turned 95% of NPCs black
Is that hyperbole, race autism, or did he actually jiggaboo almost the entire game?

>> No.9633815

>>9621406
You're expecting him to have any idea how this works. Sometimes people will come and ask about doing some minute as fuck code tweak for a ZDoom mod, as in just changing a number somewhere.
Sometimes they ask for help to learn how to do it, and sometimes they complain that it is the way it is, maybe even act shocked when told that they can easily do this by themselves.

That shit is way quicker and easier, too, and people still pull off fucking this up. The layman is very clueless.

>> No.9633824

>>9632321
>TMs are wasted on worthless shit like Water Gun
TM12 is great for where you get it. If you don't have a Squirtle there's five mons you can stick it on to have an additional way to beat up all the Geodudes you'll be fighting. Gen 1 TMs aren't meant to be "Person competing for League Championship rounds out the ultimate moves of his level 50 team", they're "Player character receives appropriate rewards for exploring at the stage of the game they're at". TM41 is a lot less justifiable because it's so restricted, but it would have been just fine if a few other Pokemon had been able to learn it (and since its JP name is Egg Lay, lots of them could have).

>> No.9633841

>>9633807
It's slightly hyperbolic. I don't recall the named characters being different, nor battle sprites being darkened, but a lot of random townsfolk are so black you'd think you were in Pokemon Detroit based on the demographics.

>> No.9633920

>>9633807
Nah he went all out.

>>9633841
Not just the townsfolk, trainers too. Think all trainers of the Hiker class as an example got turned black by default.

>> No.9634174
File: 1 KB, 56x56, Spr_GS_Hiker.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9633920
>Think all trainers of the Hiker class as an example got turned black by default.
They always looked like picrel in the originals, what do they look like in the mod?

>> No.9634183

>>9620563
You kidding right? Piloswine alone beat any gen 4 and 5 mon

>> No.9634208

>>9634174
Scratch that, it's the townfolk and OC characters then. Also fuck me, this just blew my mind, guess hikers were always black in GS.

>> No.9634212

>>9621401
Yes, fuck, my man, that was my first experience with Gen2. My dumb kid ass made it surprisingly far, but it had a lot of translations which were outright completely wrong, so you got stuck eventually.
It was a cool experience though, trying this more advanced Pokémon, and having first played Gen1 on emulator before it came around my part, it felt sort of like that, like it was something really exclusive.

>>9624424
As much as I enjoy the novelty of a pokémon which is outright runes and used to unlock something, Unowns sure are halfbaked as fuck.

>>9627001
For RBY they were running right on the edge, but for GSC they were outright using a larger cartridge size.

>> No.9636025

>>9629815
If you played the game regularly at different times of the day then you would eventually discover which Pokemon are found in which locations and times, or you would hear about it from friends, school mates, etc. If you're autistic then there's fucking guides nowadays. It's a non-fucking-issue. If you're gonna look up a guide for a gen 1 Pokemon then chances are you'd do the same for a gen 2 Pokemon.

>> No.9636053

>>9636025
>let me inch through an area that takes like ten minutes to get through, for a couple minutes at a time, multiple times a day
Fuck you

>> No.9636062

>>9632321
They have never taken it seriously. To be quite honest, every pokemon should have been designed with gameplay viability in mind. If it's an ugly shitmon, it better have something unique that it can do, either a move or an ability, or evolve into something that can.

>> No.9636067

>>9636053
If you want a specific animal then you have to go out of your way to get that specific animal. Different animals have different behaviours and lifestyles.

Quit asking for the pokemon to be less unique just to make your journey to being a Pokemon Master more convenient. It isn't about you, jerkoff, it's about them.

>> No.9636075

>>9636062
>To be quite honest, every pokemon should have been designed with gameplay viability in mind.
No, i'm sorry, but this cuts down on the variety of the pokemon. Pokemon are not simply gameplay functions or else you would be able to transfer skills and abilities with ease like shin megami tensei.

>> No.9636110

>>9628849
Awesome. I grabbed the goodgbx set, I'll dig through them at some point. I'm curious if they are the same ones I played as a kid, or if I somehow ended up playing someone else's quick and dirty translation attempt.
I do remember managing to beat the game even without any of the dialogue being translated, but I do remember having to check someone's text walkthrough to get through some certain sections.

>> No.9636124

>>9627449
Not for me, I played that shit back then and it got me so pumped for the final version, which I proceeded to play the ever loving shit out of.

>> No.9636125

>>9629450
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonROMhacks/comments/x0n320/the_search_for_pokemon_gold_fan_translation_with
Yeah it's Reddit but it's a pretty good write up about how the Pokémon moves and levels got fucked up when those translations got made, as well as which specific version had those bugs.

>> No.9636130 [DELETED] 

>>9636067
The point is, it doesn't allow you to even play the game whenever you want, that's a major issue. What makes for a more "realistic experience" doesn't always make for better gameplay, and that's really the argument at hand.

A game mechanic that hinders your progress and makes you wait around is not a good game mechanic at the end of the day, video games are about having fun, and waiting to play them is not fun. Pokemon is much more an adventure game than it is any kind of simulation game, if you wanted a detailed monster raising sim you'd play something like Monster Rancher, and even that game has the common sense of having time move based on your progress in the game, not based on a real world clock that would interfere with your actual life.

>> No.9636145
File: 27 KB, 640x576, bgb00105.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I know nobody gives a shit but if you play Gold or Silver in Super Game Boy mode, the entire game uses palettes akin to what's used for the gen 1 games, even generally using very similar ones for Kanto locations, routes, caves.

>> No.9636149

>>9636067
The point is, it doesn't allow you to even play the game whenever you want, that's a major issue. What makes for a more "realistic experience" doesn't always make for better gameplay, and that's really the argument at hand.

A game mechanic that hinders your progress and makes you wait around is not a good game mechanic at the end of the day, video games are about having fun, and waiting to play them is not fun. Pokemon is much more an adventure game than it is any kind of simulation game, if you wanted a detailed monster raising sim you'd play something like Monster Rancher, and even that game has the common sense of having time move based on your progress in the game, not based on a real world clock that would interfere with your actual life.

>> No.9636154

>>9636145
The SGB palette is my favorite. Love these pastel colors, fit the old watercolor art of Sugimori greatly.

>> No.9636168

>>9636130
>The point is, it doesn't allow you to even play the game whenever you want, that's a major issue.
But you are allowed to play the game whenever you want; multiple pokemon do anything you need to gameplay wise. You're saying that the game doesn't let you 100% it in the way you please whenever you want, which is NOT a major issue.
>What makes for a more "realistic experience" doesn't always make for better gameplay, and that's really the argument at hand.
It does when the game is about creatures and realism adds more variety and believability to their behaviour.>>9636130
>A game mechanic that hinders your progress and makes you wait around is not a good game mechanic at the end of the day, video games are about having fun, and waiting to play them is not fun.
That's why it doesn't ever make you do that. You're free to catch anything else and become friends with that pokemon instead. Pokemon isn't about simply ordering up a friend of whatever variety you desire like getting a lemonade from a vending machine.
>Pokemon is much more an adventure game than it is any kind of simulation game, if you wanted a detailed monster raising sim you'd play something like Monster Rancher, and even that game has the common sense of having time move based on your progress in the game, not based on a real world clock that would interfere with your actual life.
That's because pokemon is not a detailed monster raising sim, it's an adventure game, where the pokemon that you encounter may be entirely different from the pokemon that another player encounters. The point is not to make the collection of pokemon overly convenient because the point of the game is not the expansion of your pokedex; it's about going on a journey with creatures that you encounter in the wild. the collection of pokemon outside of those that you encounter while progressing naturally through the game is purely optional to the point that if you don't have friends to trade with it's flat out impossible.

>> No.9636173

>>9636075
No it doesn't. I'm saying keep everything exactly the same, but improve the gameplay.

>> No.9636316

>>9636149
Nobody is fucking "waiting around" unless you're playing the game 24/7 for the sake of completing it. Just play the fucking game and none of these complaints are even anything.

>> No.9636404

>>9636168
>you are allowed to play the game whenever you want; multiple pokemon do anything you need to gameplay wise. You're saying that the game doesn't let you 100% it in the way you please whenever you want
I don't play to 100% the game, I said in an earlier post I play with my favorites, a team of 6 I intend to train+HM slaves and that's it.
>it doesn't ever make you do that. You're free to catch anything else and become friends with that pokemon instead. Pokemon isn't about simply ordering up a friend of whatever variety
No, it's about seeking out the Pokemon you like and using them, and the day/night system makes this more annoying than it was in Gen 1. Want Growlithe but playing at night? Want to train it right away? Have to wait until the day, that's just how it works. You can make the argument that "you can play with any Pokemon", and sure Pokemon games are pretty easy, but it's not to the degree that which Pokemon you choose don't effect the game, the whole game is based on the fact that different Pokemon have different strengths and weaknesses, which Pokemon make up your team effects how you play the game, and how you determine Pokemon you actually want, as well as when you catch them determining when/where you can train them appropriately. Plus, who doesn't just want to use ones they like? When I play GSC, there are always inevitable parts where I simply have to stop playing the game because I'm in an area at the wrong time for what I want to do there, and that is not collect every Pokemon in the area, it's simply to catch the few who make up my team and train them as best I can against new Pokemon/trainers.

Now, you can say "well too bad if you want certain Pokemon instead of using any random ones you find you have to wait for the right time of day" and that'd be fine if it wasn't for the fact that Gen 1 didn't require this, which allows me to compare and prefer one way over the other.

>> No.9636431

>>9634208
tbf if you go and hike in the mountains a lot you can get real tanned

>> No.9636786
File: 8 KB, 317x421, 1675640035876553.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9620369
Why did Gen 2's comfy atmosphere not prevent it from killing Pokemania?

>> No.9636808

>>9636067
>games should be cumbersome to be unique
There's a balance of effort and reward. What happened to the night and day system after gen 2? You can appreciated it here, but realize it as phased out because you're in the minority.
>>9636075
It's a game, they literally ARE gameplay functions. Attempts should be made at viability. None of this Farfetch'd bullshit. They can fail at these attempts, but many it's obvious were low effort, no thought.

>> No.9636821

>>9636808
Not the person you're arguing with I didn't even read the whole conversation and I'm all for better balance but Farfetch'd is very much an intentional joke pokémon and for it to be good would ruin the whole concept. It's a literal "duck bearing onions" which is a japanese idiom describing an easy target, a total idiot walking towards its own demise (a duck with an onion gives you the perfect pair of ingredients to be conveniently turned into a stew). This is why it's deliberately the fully evolved gen 1 pokémon with the lowest stats.

>> No.9636828

>>9636808
>It's a game, they literally ARE gameplay functions. Attempts should be made at viability
Autistic mindset.
It's a game hence meant to be fun.
Just like in some (the best) DBZ games there is no balance at all to mimic the setting, it becomes rewarding to beat Goku SSJ3 with a shit-tier character like Mr Satan

>> No.9636869

>>9636786
2000-2003 was a long time between games, with a lot of other things going on. The Ps2, YuGiOh getting brought over, a general boom in anime with the audience for the first few seasons growing out of it, the Advance being a bigger leap than the GBC. Pokemon Yellow really helped keep the fire alive in 99, and it really did have an appeal to make people double/triple dip. Crystal, for all its features, didn't feel worth it to most people back then(in hindsight, it's probably the best classic game)
But once people had been playing GS for a year, the welcome started to wear out. And if you did keep playing those 3 years? I can' imagine R/S starting fresh and invalidating about up to 5 years of gameplay made too many people happy.

>> No.9636879

>>9636869
>Pokemon Yellow really helped keep the fire alive in 99, and it really did have an appeal to make people double/triple dip
it's just a worse version of R/B

>> No.9636918

>>9636879
So?
You can't know that before buying the game

>> No.9636972

>>9636879
The additions are pretty shallow, but it was enough to keep the hype going. A game with Pikachu front and center, at a time where the anime was at the height of its relevance? Perfect timing

>> No.9637960

>>9636972
Yeah I mean I knew multiple people who didn't have the original games and ended up getting Yellow when it came out

>> No.9638785

>>9636828
Autistic mind set is suggesting its fine to power through gold/silver using a tackling skiploom cause the game has dialogue like this.
>Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.
Again, cumbersome, slow and tedious is not fun for most people, arguing the exception is the exception. The game takes no skill, you can't compare it to a fighting game, it just takes more time. If you wanna walk everywhere you go in life, feel free, walk to disneyland, have at it. The fun thing people have at disneyland is the rides, not the walk to get there and the lines.You're dead ass wrong.

>> No.9638796

>>9636869
>the Advance being a bigger leap than the GBC
I believe this is the largest contributor to the slow crystal sales, that and gold/silver already being released for PEAK holiday sales. everyone who got a copy for Christmas was still playing it meanwhile crystal slowly dropped during summer vacation literally 6 months later The gbc was damn near dead at the time and with crystal being bundled with the GBA to boost promotion, no kid knew what it was. I remember being the only kid returning to school with everyone asking wtf was that new pokemon game and system. It's too bad crystal wasn't fully fleshed out, outside of Japan, to fully use it's online/pseudo MMO capabilities

>> No.9638825

>>9636972
It was pretty big marketing timing at that point. in NA yellow came out about month ahead of the movie.

>> No.9638968

>>9638796
>It's too bad crystal wasn't fully fleshed out, outside of Japan, to fully use it's online/pseudo MMO capabilities
What capabilities were those?

>> No.9639015

>>9636821
i never knew this, thank you for this post

>> No.9639036

>>9638968
https://serebii.net/crystal/mobilesystemgb.shtml

>> No.9639078

>>9636821
Farfetch'd can learn cut and fly so he isn't completely useless. Its not like some GSC pokemon who both learn no good TMs, and have only sub-70 attacks until they hit level 50.

>> No.9639121

man what the fuck is up with the crystal clear dev, its a great rom hack but the dev on some fucking liberal freakout and had to make 50% of the NPCs black lmfao

>> No.9639309

>>9639036
Man, America never got the cool shit like that. I wonder why.

>> No.9639350

>>9639309
Few people had cellphones in 2000, let alone kids.

>> No.9639415

>>9639350
This. Consider that the gameboy, GBA and DS were all made for the Japanese metropolitan audience who were using interconnected tech at a much greater scale than the US. That's why quite a few of the GBA connectivity games/peripherals flopped in the West, and were it not for Pokemon certainly nobody would have owned link cables.
In Japan the idea of vidya game connectivity was already generations old by the time of the GB, even.

>> No.9639454

>>9620921
dunsparce is normal type with decent HP making it relatively defensive and learns yawn and glare. this might not impress the kids who view it in the context of fifteen generations or whatever, but back then there were limited options on what you could use and when you could use it if you're doing anything other than powerleveling your starter.

>> No.9639459

>>9639454
Yawn wasn't in Gen2.

>> No.9639475

>>9639459
yeah you're right, I only ever flexed it on a HGSS play through and was impressed with its performance, it saved me from losing a few battles. it loses a lot of its usefulness without that move.

>> No.9639849 [SPOILER] 

>>9638796
Crystal’s online features were pure kikery, an early example of microtransactions for kids to waste their parents money on as connecting to the service came with small fees each time. You had to spend money at least once just to enter the Battle Tower in the Japanese version.

>> No.9639859

>>9620593
Be happy we got that given what Iwata was able to do with his programing magic.

>> No.9639864

>>9639859
Honestly it would have been better for them to just drop the Kanto gimmick and use the extra space to flesh out Johto. The end result is Johto is too small and boring and Kanto is a ghost town.

>> No.9639921

>>9620369
It's 100% just the nighttime color palette

>> No.9639934
File: 1019 KB, 1280x886, 1401166940294.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9620369
Gen 1 and 2 were created from a man's own childhood experiences exploring his childhood Japan looking for insects to collect. He wanted to share that sense of wonder and adventure with a generation of children who were less likely to go outside and explore. Gen 2 was a refinement of the already-classic Gen 1 with a number of new features that made the world seem more alive, like the clock and calendar feature. The series loses that special feeling after that because that man stepped down as lead director. By Gen 3, the series was churning out titles not because the director had something to say or an experience to share, but simply because Nintendo wanted to make more money from it. The Brand™ was refined to get rid of any perceived rough edges like real-life animals or locations being referenced and sterilized to ensure marketability. The new director was simply designing the titles around what he thought would sell more units.

>> No.9639990

>>9633632
>>9628616
What if I told you that even today the majority of Pokemon TCG collectors do not play the actual game? I've never seen another TCG where the prices/demand of the cards is so detached from their gameplay function. People just like the pretty pictures.

>> No.9640002

>>9639934
>muh auteur theory

So the clock/day nigh sequel is somehow "soul" but the berry growing system is just milking it? Not to mention the references to real life locations and Pokemon based on real animals has barely gone down, if at all.

Pretty much every person who is a whiny cunt about video games has the same playbook: "single guy expressing his artistic vision good, committee bad." You have to learn a thing about game development and learn that they were being designed by committee from day 1. You think Satoshi Tajiri was walking around the office making sure every town and monster design was to his exact specifications?

>> No.9640014 [DELETED] 

>>9640002
Tajiri wasn't micro-managing every aspect, but he was making sure that the games at least followed his vision overall. You're full of shit if you can't see that Masuda changed direction with the series with decisions like stripping away things that Tajiri thought were important enough to include, like the day/night system and connectivity with previous entries. Or ramping things up so that the plot of each game was now about stopping the apocalypse. Or making the regions feel organic rather than stuffing as many different geographical themes in as possible so that the series was more like a themepark than a place where people actually lived.

>Not to mention the references to real life locations and Pokemon based on real animals has barely gone down, if at all.
It has gone down, real-life animals aren't even mentioned anymore. They in fact went back and retconned Pokédex entries that referred to real-life animals and replaced them with Pokémon equivalents.

>> No.9640019

>>9640002
Tajiri wasn't micro-managing every aspect, but he was making sure that the games at least followed his vision overall. You're full of shit if you can't see that Masuda changed direction with the series with decisions like stripping away things that Tajiri thought were important enough to include, like the day/night system and connectivity with previous entries. Or ramping things up so that the plot of each game was now about stopping the apocalypse. Or making the regions feel like theme parks rather than places where people actually lived by stuffing as many different geographical themes in as possible.

>Not to mention the references to real life locations and Pokemon based on real animals has barely gone down, if at all.
It has gone down, real-life animals aren't even mentioned anymore. They in fact went back and retconned Pokédex entries that referred to real-life animals and replaced them with Pokémon equivalents.

>> No.9640325

>>9639859
Cringe

Refer to >>9627101
>>9627246

>> No.9640358

>>9639036
That sounds amazing, I wonder how many other GB games had online capabilities, I know of Necatris at least.
Well at least the west got the better battle tower.

It pissed me off when I replayed Gen2/3/4 and I had to use cheats (or custom severs, which is about the same thing) to access some of that lost content, I felt like my playthroughs were tainted. Although the extra content in gen3 was lackluster, in gen4 the Giovanni sidequest is crucial.

>> No.9640359
File: 7 KB, 259x194, images (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9640358
>Necatris

Nectaris, which used a computer rather than a phone

>> No.9640367
File: 161 KB, 1880x1196, Goldenrod City.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9640379

>>9640367
These images just make me appreciate Gen 2 a lot less since it looks so awful by comparison.

>> No.9640429

>>9640325
That's still a good contribution though, using a little bit of their now more abundant cartridge space to get the game to run faster is very valuable.

>> No.9640443

>>9640019
>connectivity with previous entries
Only reason gen 2 could connect with gen 1 was because they were released on the same system. It was no longer an option with gen 3.

>> No.9640450

>>9640443
Gen3 completely revamped how the in-game Pokemon generator worked, and, at the time, they simply couldn't figure out how to make older Pokemon from Gen1 and 2 compatible with it. Maybe they could have, as they eventually did decades later with the Virtual Console re-releases, but they didn't and so Gen3 became a complete reboot.

>> No.9640454
File: 63 KB, 640x481, TFTX2yjl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9640443
cope

>> No.9640459

>>9640450
>Gen3 completely revamped how the in-game Pokemon generator worked, and, at the time, they simply couldn't figure out how to make older Pokemon from Gen1 and 2 compatible with it.
This is the actual reason. Tajiri would have made sure they figured out how to make it work since it was such a crucial part of his overall vision for the series, but Masuda just wanted to reboot Pokemon under his own vision instead.

>> No.9640465

>>9640443
I'm sure they could have found a way. Gen3 to 4 is a thing, and gen1 wasn't supposed to trade with 2 yet they managed it.

People bring up the different stats system but I'm sure that could have been converted too. Really i think the reason is they wanted a fresh start with a new audience, simply didn't want to bother with rétro connectivity and of course sell the remakes. I mean getting a full dex in that gen was intentionally obtuse

Captcha PKMJSV

>> No.9640469

>>9640454
>GBC game connecting to a GBC game
Damn, you sure showed me.

>> No.9640472

>>9640469
I did show you, but you're too smoothbrained to understand what it means. They easily could have made it work, they chose not to since Gen 3 was going to be rebooting the series anyway.

>> No.9640476

>>9621458
saw this hack years ago, cool to see that they are continuing it and making it shine.

Can you flash Polished Crystal in a GBC flash cart?

>> No.9640493

>>9621458
>Added: Leafeon, Glaceon, Sylveon, Togekiss, Weavile, Honchkrow, Mismagius, Electivire, Magmortar, Magnezone, Tangrowth, Rhyperior, Porygon-Z, Yanmega, Gliscor, Mamoswine, and Munchlax.
>Removed: Spearow, Fearow, Lickitung, Goldeen, Seaking, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Shuckle, Aipom, Stantler, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Smoochum, and Delibird.
Absolutely disgusting.

>> No.9640496

>>9640472
>I did show you, but you're too smoothbrained to understand what it means
Your pic doesn't show a GBA game connecting to a GBC game so it's irrelevant.

>> No.9640505

>>9640496
You could have just stopped posting out of shame instead of doubling down.

>> No.9640532

>>9640443
A bunch of bored trannies on twitter have devised multiple ways for GBC and GBA games to connect to each other and you can find videos of this stuff on YouTube, the actual issue comes down to the fact that they have to convert a shitton of data when trading to Gen 3 because of all of the reworked game systems that happened during the reboot. So yeah, in the end it was a choice to make the Gen 3 games not compatible with earlier titles. The rest of the series went in a different direction anyway, so why bother?

>> No.9641054
File: 855 KB, 551x859, Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 101024.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the most SOULFUL way to play the games

>> No.9641743

>>9639078
the amount of GSC pokemon that learn HMs like cut or fly is also low. For some reason it would have ruined the game to let bug/flying get fly.

>> No.9641778

>>9640465
Gen 2 to Gen 3 was looked into. The data issue wasn't really it. That came after the fact in development. I understand that's an issue, but they dropped the EV/IV system that gen 2 had once they were ready to abandon gen 1/2 connectivity and then made their own.

Ive been trying to find the interview where someone asked about using the n64 or gamecube to trade from gen 2 and 3, I think it came up. Essentially though, something would have to have been a hub between the gameboy and GBA. It would have been seen as an ugly launch, to need a home console to get your old pokemon? And they were committed to the hard reboot, really, to sell more games, instead of hardware. They almost didn't include gen 1/2 in gen 3.

https://lavacutcontent.com/sugimori-masuda-gen-3-interview/

>> No.9641812
File: 50 KB, 1024x576, gligar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9641743
>make Ground/Flying Pokemon
>Cannot learn Earthquake or Fly

I wish Gligar was good.

>> No.9641820

>>9620617
The music is, indeed, very beautiful and nostalgic

>> No.9641830

>>9621873
I agree with this anon. You're overthinking. I grew up with Gen II and absolutely loved it, but I had a thorn on my throat for not having played Gen I as a kid.

Until the pandemic. Then, I finally played Blue, and I loved each and every second of it.

>> No.9641840

>>9639934
Agreed.

Also, picrel is pure gold and soul

>> No.9642008

>>9628616
I collected the cards for a while before I knew how to play, then I learned the rules playing the TCG on Game Boy and taught all my friends.

>> No.9642293

>>9640496
Are you retarded? gba can play gbc games too so obviously the GBA cable would have worked.

The only problem is the data, but you could easily have converted a pokemon from gen1/2 style into gen3. The evs might have to be erased and the ivs might have to be regenerated so the stats would change a little but i doubt anyone would have cared.

>> No.9642296

>>9640532
the real reason why they didn't was to sell fire red and leaf green

thats all, greed

>> No.9642327

>>9642293
>Are you retarded? gba can play gbc games too
Yeah, because there's a physical switch based on the cartridge shape that turns on the right hardware. Does the link cable work right if it's hooked up to a GBA game running at 3.3V the same time as a GBC game running at 5V?

>> No.9642392

>>9642327
There is literally no reason why it wouldn't if it works at all with a gbc game, which it does.

>> No.9642480

>>9640367
Is this from a romhack?

>> No.9642510

>>9642392
>I dont understand basic programing at all
Cool dude, its a big conspiracy then, they didnt do it cause its so easy.

>> No.9642817
File: 64 KB, 352x640, Ruins of Alph.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9642480
No it's from some sort of art project. Kanto Restored Pixel Project I think?

>> No.9644257
File: 63 KB, 820x1184, 1673571145545534.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

soul

>> No.9644262

>>9620563
Tastelet.

>> No.9644956

I dont need to describe what GSC is, especially to those who played it at the time. That said Firered and Leafgreen are really not THAT far off. Those games are absolutely jam packed with detail.

>> No.9644963

>>9644956
As if there were not enough bad opinions itt