[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 51 KB, 600x595, 1293652209567.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9615034 No.9615034 [Reply] [Original]

Sup nerds. What's the best way to play Carmameddon 1&2 on Windows 10? Any chance it has source ports like Doom? Carmageddon thread if you want.

>> No.9615090
File: 308 KB, 1440x810, Predator_Ainsley_Harriott_shooting_scene.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9615034
>Any chance it has source ports like Doom?

I don't think there is any source port but bump for interest in the subject.

>> No.9615176

>>9615090
Just get the max pack from gog, its a pre-setup dosbox.
The win95 version is better, but not as stable. I don't think multiplayer is very important for you, so that shouldn't matter.

Carma 2 has some music issues, a basic fix is just renaming carma2_hw.exe to anything else and it should work, but it will crash everytime you quit.
The better solution is downloading _inmm.dll (a program used to get certain older implementations of audio to work), specifically https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/107-patched-_inmmdll.. It contains some extra for variables carma2 (and many other games), install it.
You patch Carma2_hw.exe by just dragging it onto inmmcnf.exe (or its shortcut name _inmm.dll setup).
You then open inmmcnf.exe normally and add *.ogg (that's what the files should be) to the filetypes and set player to DirectShow (same for the default just in case).
You then go to the _inmm.ini tab and add the songs either via the button or dragging them on the list and then saving. You put the .ini it wants to save in the folder with the executable. Don't move the music folder as it points to that.

its always a larger hassle to write out _inmm instructions than actually doing it as its quite simple.

>> No.9615193

>>9615176
Carma 2 should be the gog version too btw, should already have nglide. Both worked for me when I played it a while back and I think only Carma 1 had the occasional crash.

>> No.9615205

>>9615034
Now why would anyone want to play that shit?

>> No.9615908
File: 8 KB, 103x110, Dibujo-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9615205
Cringe

>> No.9615932

>>9615205
Becuase it's fun, fun as hell, best demo derby game ever

>> No.9615943

>>9615205
Yeah the "run people over lmao" thing got old in like 2 minutes of checking out a gameplay video, doesn't look like it offers anything else at all. Can you even destroy opponent racers?

>> No.9616167

>>9615090
It does have a source port in the works (https://github.com/dethrace-labs/dethrace)) but it's still in a rough albeit playable state. Keeping my eye on it.
>>9615176 anon basically sums it up, just grab the GOG version for now or set up DOSbox yourself. There's claims of a 'fixed' Win95 version out there but even that is very unstable. Gotta play with a choppy framerate as the devs intended.

>> No.9616209

>>9615943
You can and they remain destroyed for the rest of the race.

>> No.9616261

>>9615943
I remember running people over to be endlessly fun, particularly when you got bonuses for things like "artistic impression" for leaving a nice smear on the road.
Maybe you had to play it when it was new. This game was so fun with a Sidewinder joystick. The controls are fucked, but it kept me interested enough to get good at it. Also, the Fear Factory soundtrack was playable from the game disc in any CD player.

>> No.9616363
File: 47 KB, 647x674, 1661781427217244.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like the free Android version.

>> No.9616525

>>9615943
>Can you even destroy opponent racers?
Yes, and it is honestly the best part of the game; working your way up to get more powerful vehicles and absolutely wrecking every opponent. The running over civilians is a fun addition but luck trying to find every single one of them.

>> No.9616529

>>9616525
good luck*

>> No.9616543

>>9615943
>Can you even destroy opponent racers?
that's the way everyone progresses through the game. the gimmick of carmaggedon is that you can complete every race 3 different ways. completing a lap of the track could be fun but it gets old quickly cause opponents aren't even trying, they get distracted and start to freeroam. lastly, killing all the pedestians - everyone tries this ones and hates it.

>> No.9616550
File: 172 KB, 960x540, Ainsley_Harriott.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9615176
>Just get the max pack from gog

I screencaped this post, many thanks anon.

>>9616167
>It does have a source port in the works

I'll keep both eyes on this too.

>> No.9616582

>>9615176

Absolutely get the GOG version for Carma 1, it works great. I found though that the Glide version was fairly unplayable through my modern but fairly basic (integrated graphics) laptop. This is easily fixed by playing the normal version, it just looks a lot more pixelated (which is how I remember it anyhow).

Also if you're trying to play keys only on a laptop without a num pad you'll need an external keyboard or other control device

>> No.9616593

>>9616261
>Fear Factory soundtrack
>there was a time in human history where Fear Factory music would just randomly be in video games
>Gameshark used the Demanufacture riff
Take me back pls and ty

>> No.9616718

>>9615034
Try the Meld pack from https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/blog/index.php?post/The-MELD-PACK-finally-updated%21-%28v1.3.1%29 (the latest is actually 1.3.4). It is not as stable as DOS version but it can be payed in high(er) res and it combines Carma and Splat Pack into one single package.
Also, keep modding, new cars and tracks, in mind. Most of what's done can be found at rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk and on cwaboard in general. I think all the PS1 exclusive cars were ported.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riMPrG60Sg0&list=PLvDxHtTS-7uL3TcjUuAbOMynGXnXLGX3b

>> No.9616774

Never played the first game for some reason but I played Carma 2 constantly when I was younger.

>> No.9616857

>>9615034
One of my favourite car games ever, it is not really a racer since everyone will have more fun trashing the other cars due to the satisfying crushes, the levels were big and full of landmarks like the stadium in the first city, the power ups were funny and varied, I think playing this game at release spoiled me on car racing sims, I can only play a few rally sims, the rest will just bore me to death.

>> No.9617116 [DELETED] 

>>9615034
>Sup nerds. What's the best way to play Carmameddon 1&2 on Windows 10? Any chance it has source ports like Doom? Carmageddon thread if you want.

I have said this before. But sadly, I don;t think I have the files anymore to proove that it was ever real. But, back in the early 2000's, OI remeber downloading a pirate copy of the original DOS release of Carmageddon via a P2P program , I think it was Kazzaa, but could have been Lime Wire. I used them all, so I forget. This version of Carmageddon that I had on my PC came with a ATi D3D patch that could run the game in Windows XP without DOS. I sadly may have deleted that version of the game, not knowing how rare that direct 3D patch was. But it was real. I was playing Carmageddon with accelerated graphics. I am not lying, BTW. I do think this ATi patch was done by the same group that did the Tomb Raider direct 3D patch from ATi, that later surfaced. Maybe I have this version on an old HDD, but I am not sure anymore. I still have stacks of old CDR's from back in the day too. One of them might have a copy. But I need to set up a disc drive. I have never seen anyone mention this D3D patch. I downloaded it from a P2P network with a pirated copy of the game. Surely I couldn't have been the only one with this version? I have never even seen LGR talk about a D3D port. Despite how much he talks about the game.

>> No.9617127

>>9615034
>Sup nerds. What's the best way to play Carmameddon 1&2 on Windows 10? Any chance it has source ports like Doom? Carmageddon thread if you want.

I have said this before. But sadly, I don't think I have the files anymore to prove that it was ever real. But, back in the early 2000's, I remember downloading a pirate copy of the original DOS release of Carmageddon via a P2P program , I think it was Kazzaa, but could have been Lime Wire. I used them all, so I forget. This version of Carmageddon that I had on my PC came with a ATi D3D patch that could run the game in Windows XP without DOS. I sadly may have deleted that version of the game, not knowing how rare that direct 3D patch was. But it was real. I was playing Carmageddon with accelerated graphics. I am not lying, BTW. I do think this ATi patch was done by the same group that did the Tomb Raider direct 3D patch from ATi, that later surfaced. Maybe I have this version on an old HDD, but I am not sure anymore. I still have stacks of old CDR's from back in the day too. One of them might have a copy. But I need to set up a disc drive. I have never seen anyone mention this D3D patch. I downloaded it from a P2P network with a pirated copy of the game. Surely I couldn't have been the only one with this version? I have never even seen LGR talk about a D3D port. Despite how much he talks about the game.

>> No.9617254

>>9617127
>This version of Carmageddon that I had on my PC came with a ATi D3D patch that could run the game in Windows XP without DOS.

I know this sounds like a LARP, but believe me. I had Carmageddon on my Windows XP machine running at 1280x1024 at a high framerate with hardware filtering and fog. At the time, I didn't think it was anything unique. I use to use Kaazaa to download all sorts of pirated software. It was the standard disc release of Carmageddon, but it came with an additional .exe file that was compiled to run the game with Direct 3D rendering. It was just like the TombATI patch. But for Carmageddon. Nobody knew about the TombATI patch back in the day. The Tomb ATI patch was developed by ATi (now AMD) internally, most likely for for hardware testing and was never made public. But still leaked.

>> No.9617528

>>9616363
I like it too.
I just wish there was mod support and the handling wasn't shit, better gonna wait until someone gets the autism to port dethrace

>> No.9618485
File: 3.82 MB, 640x480, Carma EBR.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>haven't played the game in like 15 years
>still remember my 11 year old pro strats
Kek. I'm playing the gog release, unfortunately can't get it to run at a higher res. This game really needs a source port, it's a damn shame. What can I do to play this at better settings?

>> No.9618509

The port for Mac is pretty damn good.
High resolution and high framerates.

>> No.9618603
File: 37 KB, 800x600, ainsleygeddon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9618635

>>9617127
Same. I played Carmageddon on windows back in the day with silky smooth framerates, that's why I have problems going back to it now because the dosbox version is so fucking choppy

>> No.9618657

>>9617127
>>9617254
I believe you anonkun.

>> No.9618674

>>9616363
Why is there a modern Android port that runs really well at high res/framerate but there's nothing for PC? Fucking lame. Need a Carma1&2 rerelease like that for Steam/GOG.

>> No.9619302

>>9615034
I liked dropping my opponents in the mine shaft or immediately breaking the small buggy vehicle that was always competing for some reason.

>> No.9620004

>>9618485
I don't remember it being that small for me when I played it. But fuck knows.

>> No.9620013

>>9618657
>I believe you anonkun.

As I have said. The 3D accelerated version was something that I had on my old desktop for years. I found it via P2P network, by downloading it from another user. It was the standard disc image release of the game. But it came with a couple additional binaries for native windows compatibility with D3D rendering. The game ran flawlessly on Windows XP for me. I thought it was a standard patch that anyone could download from fileplanet or something. And then I saw the LGR videos on the original Carmageddon, and Clint mentioned how hard it was to play the game on anything but DOS. I remember leaving a comment in the video telling him to get the Direct3D patch. Which I later tried to find myself, but couldn't come up with any results online. I do remember this patch having ATI in the filename. The original Tomb Raider was released on DOS for the PC. It had multiple hardware acceleration patches for 3DFX, Matrox, S3 Virge, PowerVR, and such. But in more recent years, an ATi Direct3D windows patch surfaced, that was completely unknown outside of ATi. The Carmageddon d3d patch I had did the exact same thing, but with Carmageddon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ptYJcly_w

I wish it was something that I kept. There might be a slim chance that I have it on a CDR with a bunch of other emulators and pirated software. But there is no guarantee that I have it at all.I haven't been able to find it since. the ATI patch is something that would make the original game totally playable now.

>> No.9620090

>>9618635
>Same. I played Carmageddon on windows back in the day with silky smooth framerates, that's why I have problems going back to it now because the dosbox version is so fucking choppy

maybe it was the same version? Did it have hardware filtering, texture correction, high resolution modes, etc? I don;t think this patch was meant to be released publicly. But it clearly did leak via P2P, which was how I got my hands on it.

>> No.9620126
File: 111 KB, 480x640, 1509778260903.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9618603

>> No.9620607
File: 74 KB, 800x815, 1652124332725.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9615034

>> No.9621427
File: 49 KB, 522x783, Ainsley_Harriott.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9615090
Somebody shoop Ainsley's face properly here please.

I miss when /v/ was obsessed with Ainsley and his reaction faces were everywhere kek. It's sad that some memes die desu.

>> No.9621431

>>9616167
>It does have a source port in the works
Really hope this is good. It's about fucking time. Why has it taken so long?

Really want a Carmageddon 2, one, too.

>> No.9621951

>>9618485
We're pretty much stuck between the DOS/GOG version, which runs choppy, and the win95 version, which plays smooth but crashes often and has completely busted sound. Dethrace plays smooth too but doesn't have most of Carma's features implemented properly yet. It's a crying shame nothing was ever done with that android port.

>> No.9622449

This is the real carmageddon https://youtu.be/lAfs0XLKaAM

>> No.9624467

>>9620013
>There might be a slim chance that I have it on a CDR with a bunch of other emulators and pirated software.
Time to go hunting nigga.

>> No.9624474

>>9615908
your culture is

>> No.9624498

What's so great about the '95 version?

>> No.9624690

>>9624474
why do you enter threads about topics you dont like? is it autism??

i was just joking about this game a few months ago, the normies laughed - either this game was more popular than i thought ala cruiseNusa or the title is funny

>> No.9624740

>>9624498
Higher rez 'n shit. I think I actually did play that version as I do remember crashing.

>> No.9624751

>>9618674
>Why is there a modern Android port that runs really well at high res/framerate but there's nothing for PC?
Because Max Damage sell like shit.
There was even plans for an Android port of Carmaggedon 2,l but everything went to the toilet because lack of funds

>> No.9624923

>>9624751
>Because Max Damage sell like shit.
but that's cuz they made a shit half assed shovelware tier game
carma1&2 were full of soul

>> No.9624940

>>9616593
they really missed a quick easy kek by not having Fear Factory's cover of Cars in there. It's totally thematically appropriate to the game, and would be funny.
I just saw Carmageddon 2 has like 5 Iron Maiden tracks on it's soundtrack. That must have cost 'em.

>> No.9625786

>>9620013
Carmageddon had 3Dfx patch with high res support, but for DOS only. I remember seeing video of someone from cwaboard playing like that, with Win98 or XP on virtual machine.

>> No.9626078

I will always be mad that you can't get earn more cars in single player until you beat the entire campaign, which defeats the entire purpose.
I know, mods.

>>9620004
Yeah. Crazy how enormous the game felt as a kid.

But I replayed it after Max Damage and I was like, wait that's it? I thought this level was bigger...

>>9616543
>lastly, killing all the pedestians - everyone tries this ones and hates it.

I've done it in every level back in the day. Not in every course, but every level at least. But I was playing in easy mode which gives ample time to hunt (when you don't have the pedestrian show on map feature).

Max Damage on the other end was a nightmare because there was often one or two pedestrian getting stuck out of bounds.

>> No.9626912

>>9624923
Max Damage with the last (secret) update and the 'Overhaul' mod is actually pretty fun, there's an actual sense of momentum to it and it plays closer to the original, it's still kind of buggy and has a dubstep soundtrack but there's a quite a good modding scene that's patched things up nicely. OG's still the best though.

>> No.9627840

about carma 1

some people seem to be lost in the software rendered through dosbox, what is slow and somewhat fugly (unless you are aiming for nostalgia)

https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/wiki/Guide:Setting-up-3dfx-Voodoo-in-DOSBox%E2%80%90X#setting-up-3dfx-voodoo-in-dosbox-x

there are some dosbox forks that emulate a dos pc with a 3dfx voodoo card, so you can the "dos voodoo executable".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Amdg_xfaM

a random video i google about what you can expect.

i played like this 10+ years ago, so i dont have an exact guide, but it does not seem too hard to find either.

>> No.9627850

>>9626078
I meant the resolution. I'm quite sure I played it at a higher one.

I recently did Max Damage and they probably fixed the out of bound going NPCs, I do think the expansion for Carma 1 has a level where it is literally impossible to do because of the same reason though, probably the last level.