[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 269 KB, 684x877, Ff2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
960382 No.960382 [Reply] [Original]

What does it take to be good at fighting games? Is there some sort of trick to learning how to play them "properly" or am I cursed to suck forever?

Pic related. Been playing this almost every goddamn day with 0 progress to report. Joe Higashi kicks the shit out of me no matter what order I fight him in. Am I crazy for only ever playing as Terry Bogard? Is he gimped the fuck out in this game?

I also suck at SF2, by the way. And while I'm not good at Garou either, I was able to get the hang of it much easier. I swear, the only fighting games I am legitimately good at are Super Smash Bros. (if that even counts) and Soul Calibur (not retro, I know)

>> No.960406

>>960382
SNK and Capcom fighters require a lot of practice and repetition to build a groundwork of muscle memory for the motions involved in move execution.

Positioning/spacing/strategy all lose effectiveness without said groundwork.

>> No.960412

>Am I crazy for only ever playing as Terry Bogard
he is the only true choice anon.

as an avid fighting game fan but never much of a master of the genre, my only suggestion would be to understand the mechanics of the game and then work on the moves/combos. it can be time consuming but it can also be really rewarding.

>> No.960416

>What does it take to be good at fighting games?
Training and playing against other people
/thread

>> No.960420

>>960382
Nobody ever says learn how to block.

Learn how to block effectively, and look for openings in your opponents moves to get in and counterattack.

>> No.960424

are you playing against the cpu or real people?

>> No.960462

>>960424
Mostly CPU, but I play with my roommate who just seems to be naturally better. He kicked my ass as as the old man on his first time ever playing.

>> No.960587

If you feel bad about your skills now OP, just wait, improve your skills, rise above your trials...and stand slackjawed as Krauser and future SNK final bosses pull your heart out, stomp on your dick, and tear you limb from limb for daring to breathe.

True story.

>> No.960668

The best thing you can possibly do right now is learn how all of your moves work. Know what all the characters can do in a basic sense so you know what to expect when fighting them. And for all that is holy, block if you're uncertain on what to do. Only poke out if you're certain it will hit them.

Playing with the CPU generally isn't a good idea, but if you're just starting, it can be pretty good to do if the game in question has no training mode. CPU matches can be good for learning the absolute basics of a character, but if you don't pay attention, you're going to get bad habits.

>> No.960675

You have to autistically memorize how many frames each animation in the entire game takes to play out. I am not joking.

>> No.960735

>>960675
To e the greatest, sure. To be competent, you need a basic string that starts off with a fast attack so that you can adequately punish. You need to understand how the system basically works (block stun vs hit stun, etc.) And then just figure out what your character's best moves are in what situations. Then you'll get better the more you play because you'll get used to how the other characters' attacks can be guarded and/or punished. Like anything else, getting good takes time. You don't need to "austistically memorize" everything, though. Unless you want to compete with the best players in the world.

>> No.960760

>>960675
I've never done anything of the sort and I can compete with most people online.

>> No.961310

>>960382
I was playing this the other day on my SNES. I found that the cpu has a tough time with full screen zoning.

Zoning=Using fireballs, then an anti-air when applicable.

In the case of Terry this would be the powerave and Burning Knuckle I think.

Another effective tatic is to plane switch the cpu, they seam to favor the slow and power full plane switch attack, so you can easily counter with the faster one.

As far as fighters in general, I used to play competition level. You got to learn a main character, a back up character and the frame rates. I dropped out of the tourny scene because it just wasn't fun anymore.

ANything else?

>> No.961334

>>960382
Are you at least having fun while playing?

>> No.961372

>What does it take to be good at fighting games? Is there some sort of trick to learning how to play them "properly" or am I cursed to suck forever?
Play a shoto to learn fundamentals (ryu/ken)
Know the ranges of your moves and when to use them so they'll connect. Know your opponents moves too. Frame data isn't as important in 2d fighters compared to 3d.

>> No.961381

>>960382
Don't measure your skill at fighting games by playing a computer. It's a completely different skill set from playing humans, and playing humans is really all that matters.

I've seen Evo champions losing to the CPU in old fighting games.

>> No.962203
File: 49 KB, 678x960, 945801_10151583257359650_1380095111_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>960382
It's just a matter of practice, patience and knowledge. And most importantly, having fun.

Learn how to move around, block, jump, dash, or any other global tools you may have.

Then go on to learn your character specifics. His normals, commands, special moves, movement options, space control, blockstrings game plan, etc.
Practice some basic but effective combos (AKA BnB's, Bread and Butter's) so you can counter attack properly when you have the chance.
In fact, learning how to block and punish properly is basically how fighting games work.

Last step would be learning the opponent. How he plays against you, how he moves around, what are his options, how is your matchup with the character, etc.

Don't forget that pressure wins games. Seriously.
Don't give your opponent space or time to think or react. Ever.

If you're really new to the genre, I recommend you playing SFIV or Third Strike for the Capcom side, or KoF 98, 02 and XIII, as well Garou for the SNK side.
They're great games and cover a lot of the basic groundwork.

Also, Terry is the best.

>> No.962672
File: 626 KB, 1480x2100, Gamest_Mook_029_A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP i am impress you pick such a good game to learn to fightan with.

>> No.962690

>>960382
Playing against the CPU doesn't make you a better player. It makes you comfortable with how the CPU works.

Against real people, you can face two people playing the same character that approach it in very different ways, as well as people who excel in attacking, or blocking, or combo execution, etc.

You ever follow the competitive fighting game scene? Watch some stuff from this year's EVO to get yourself some sort of inspiration. SFIV AE and KoFXIII were in the lineup, and so were Smash Melee and 6 other games.

>> No.962714

>>962690
>Playing against the CPU doesn't make you a better player

It does, just not like playing a real opponent does.

The AI in Tekken has always been particularly good, for example.

>> No.962745

>>962714
GGAC is the only 2D fighter I know of that gives off the feeling like the developers knew what they were doing with the AI. On Maniac difficulty, they actually do some pretty advanced stuff for an AI. Combos, FRCs, blockstrings, but they all have patterns, so they become really easy to beat up after a few weeks of practice. Even the most basic forms of okizeme will usually cause them to get hit as they attempt to mash out of it, and they almost never block overdrives.

Still a big step up from the poorly done AI you usually see in 2D fighters.

>> No.962835
File: 22 KB, 427x475, never stop playing, kid.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.963762

you gotta press on, op

i am slowly entering the zone. now and then, i can sense time slow as i see the opponent enter an exploitable moment, a potential counter attack or the correct time to parry etc

i intend to fully enter the zone and never return

>> No.963786

>>960420
Because that leads to 1)turtling mentality and 2) counter attacking is more important than blocking. Learn different aspects of each techniques, use your move to dodge and hit opponent's moves at the same time. You ever notice that the tournament winners don't really block that much? There's a good reason for it.