[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 155 KB, 803x1024, MV5BOWQ4ZjYxZjktNmEyNC00YmVlLWJiOGEtNzdlZTYzOWU2NDE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjcyNzc1NTg@._V1_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9593534 No.9593534 [Reply] [Original]

Hi, I'm currently doing some preparations to do a a study on games inspired by Thief and I need some examples to work with.

So far I have Thief itself, the direct sequels to it, the Dishonored games, Gloomwood, Bioshock Infinite BaS:E2, Delightfyl, Heir Obscure and Neon Struct to work with. These might be plenty but it may prove a good idea to diversify it a bit.

In order to qualify, the games suggested need to fill some of these criteria:
>The game must be playable primarily in first person (this is mandatory, third person games without even the option for first person are excluded. Games like MGS2 may allow first person aiming but would still be excluded since playing most of the game in first person is not an option).
>The game should present stealth as preferable to open combat (though this may not necessarily be the case in practice, the point is that you should at least be lead to think stealth is the better option)
>The game should include some mechanics that resemble Thief's (i.e looting, lockpicking, light and shadow, gadgets, etc. Not all but at least enough to determine similarities)
>The game may but is not required to have a similar world, story or characters to Thief (like how Thief, Dishonered and BaS:E2 all feature a plot in which the player character is betrayed and left for dead once the employers got what they wanted).

It doesn't need to be a perfect match, you just need to be able to draw enough similarities to determine that Thief was the inspiration.

>> No.9593557

>mot basic stealth gameplay imaginable
>people still talk about it like it invented the wheel
I don't really get it

>> No.9593594

>>9593534
Dues Ex has stealth and lockpicking
Fallout 3 has stealth and lockpicking and stealing

But do you mean it has to have been made before Theif 1 ? So before 1998 ?

>> No.9593597

>>9593594
...actually i see, you said inspired by thief, not inspired thief

>> No.9593598

ur a taffer

>> No.9593613

>>9593534
Only game series that really copied Thief is Splinter Cell. No other games did light+shadow and sound awareness like Thief

>> No.9593616
File: 463 KB, 640x406, 1611350063687.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9593534
I would remove the Bioshock games because even though Ken Levine and Irrational were involved in Thief during its development, It's very much a System Shock 2 inspired game. Add Filcher to the list as it's clearly inspired by Thief, The Dark Mod is a fan project that is Thief in all but name. If you're going to make a video about games inspired by Thief, you need to mention how the guy who created The Inverted Manse for T2 got hired by Ion Storm because of it, Purah worked on Calendra's Cistern and Calendra's Legacy and got hired by Arkane to work on Dishonored and Prey. Digital Nightfall who is most famous for CoSaS: Mission X ended up working on Dishonored which shares a lot in common with Mission X's tech level and look.

>> No.9593638

>>9593616
To follow up on this post in case it isn't clear, the Thief influences by these former FM authors in how they design levels shows through in their work and is markedly different from the attempt at multiple approaches a game like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided does where there's a checklist of solutions with a vent system you know exists to bypass all the enemies or a combat area full of chest high walls to take cover on.

>> No.9594552
File: 131 KB, 528x816, underworld 2 designers nots.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9593534
>The game must be playable primarily in first person
Well then you're already failing since Splinter Cell took most of its good ideas from Thief. Clint Hocking (the lead on Chaos Theory) has even said as such. Doing a piece on Thief's influence and ignoring SC is really fucking stupid. I don't know why you're bringing up MGS2 either since its mechanics are for the most part an extension of MGS1's mechanics, a game which came out a couple of months before Thief.

Plus, much as I hate the term 'immersive sim,' it is part of the Looking Glass canon of games starting with Ultima Underworld. You kinda need to understand Thief from that perspective to begin with if you want to understand what it actually is.

>> No.9595040

>>9594552
Splinter Cell's multiplayer mode was also based on Thievery UT (an attempt at multiplayer Thief) and shared some developers with it.

>> No.9595081

Never played it but Styx Master of Shadows most likely qualifies. Also Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

>> No.9595086

>>9593534
you need to address the decline of navigation as a gameplay mechanic if you really want to get into thief's influence or lack there of.

>> No.9596598

>>9593534
The Dark Mod is a free "remake" of Thief 1/2 without the IP.

>> No.9597843

>>9593557
Because nothing has come close to it since its release in 98.
Closest would be Splinter Cell I guess but it's still missing something.

>> No.9598414

>>9593534
Filcher. It's the most obviously and unashamedly "inspired by Thief" game out there.

>> No.9599332

>>9593557
>mot basic stealth gameplay imaginable

If its so basic why not a single stealth game has been able to successfully replicate its features since its release? Tell me a single modern stealth game that muffles the sound coming out of a room if you close the door. Or just uses sound propagation to communicate the location of an enemy. The only stealth game that is trying to replicate and build upon these features is Gloomwood and it took literally 25 years for a game like this to happen.