[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 330 KB, 1113x1641, 1643164735330.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9585989 No.9585989 [Reply] [Original]

Nowadays the concept of completion in video games is more widespread than ever before, with pretty much every single release, no matter what genre it's from, having tons of achievements/trophies for players to go after, making that percentage number go up and up until it reaches 100% and they can claim that they've completed what they are playing. Of course, completion isn't a modern concept though, and the idea that one could do more than simply reach the credits has been around for a long time, some say that you have to do it on the hardest setting, while others claim it has to be a 1CC, but the general consensus is more simple, collect everything that there is to collect.

What do you consider to be a 100% completion run? (Hard; 1CC; Collecting; Other).
Have you ever deliberately gone for 100% in a video game before? If so, which 100% run are you most proud of?
Did you ever give up on getting 100% on a video game? If so, what was your reason for doing so?
How do you perceive 100% completion as a concept? Do you find it worthwhile or just a waste? When do you go for one?

I personally try to do everything in the hardest setting, even if I'm not required to do so, and when I see that a 1CC is viable I'll also go for that too, but to me 100% really is about getting everything, unlocking anything that there is to unlock, mainly collectables, but also powerups and extra levels. I often go for 100% runs, and the one I'm most proud of if Spider-Man (2000/PS1) because of how difficult it is to unlock the Quick-Change suit. As for giving up, Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories (1999/PS1) because there's too much RNG involved in getting all of the cards. Anyways, I personally love to go for 100% when I enjoy what I'm playing, it adds to the experience and it's fun.

>> No.9586098

I do what I want in games until I tire of them.

>> No.9586176

I try to beat every game on default settings, and if I enjoy them I go for completion/full achievements if they exist.
I try not to go full autism too much, I barely have time to play games already.

>> No.9586274

unshackle your mind

>> No.9586293
File: 450 KB, 726x611, [Mori] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 - 11 OVA [720p][8F6D8F5F].mkv_snapshot_25.16_[2017.07.29_22.43.06].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If it involves a lot of grinding or excessive amounts of busywork, like collecting 100 of some object that takes no effort, I'll pass.
Other than that, I try to get the most out of a game if I really enjoy it. Do all the quests, see all the areas, replay
on the harder difficulties, stuff like that.
But I don't give a damn about achievements.

As for the last game I got 100%, I don't even remember. WoW killed any vestige I had for grinding. CrossCode is the closest I've come in a long time. Probably Resident Evil remake, complete with separate save files for Chris and Jill so I can avoid the Forest zombie unless I load the third save which has it. That was a long time ago.

Megumin~