[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 99 KB, 1200x1200, 1620942410075.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9546303 No.9546303 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: Add a single feature or make a single change that would drastically improve the quality of a video game of your choice.

I'll start with a few of mine...

1. TECMO World Cup Soccer (NES): A button that switches which player you're controlling in defence. When you lose the ball, it's common for AI defenders to attempt a tackle in a completely wrong manner, while you're stuck with a player just chasing the opponent with the ball, being able to control a defender in a better position is ideal.

2. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters (GB) & Yu-Gi-Oh! Dark Duel Stories (GBC): I'd say both of these have an issue that plagues most of the franchise, and that is if you're going for something like 100% completion, or simply going after a few specific cards... the drop rates are a pain. A store where you can buy specific cards for some currency is best.

3. Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin (MS/GG) & Spider-Man/X-men in Arcade's Revenge (MD/SNES): A couple of Marvel adaptations here, mostly focused on Spider-Man, and both have the same issue, getting sent back the whole way after dying too much, which you will. An actual lives system in the former, and unlimited continues in the latter.

Well, those are just some changes I'd make. I know many would too, for tons of other video games, so voice them here, anons!

>> No.9546404

more tits

>> No.9546448

Giving unlimited continues to games with limited continues.
Giving passwords or a saving system to those without.

>> No.9546452

>>9546448
/thread

>> No.9546471

SNES SimCity: extra processing chip in the cartridge so the game won't ever slow down tremendously

Same goes for SimEarth, but that's not as important because the game isn't as good.

>> No.9546537
File: 145 KB, 680x680, 1657341200215.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9546448
One thing that really helps is that a lot of video games have an "Infinite Lives" or "Infinite Continues" code, either build into it, or through something like Game Genie, and can be easily inserted into emulators, I prefer doing something like this instead of using save states, as you still play through the levels normally, it's just that you don't get sent back to the title screen anymore, which is always a relief... the only issue is that, just like with save states, your playthrough will never be considered "legit" I suppose.

>> No.9546665

1. Super Mario 64, stay in the level after collecting a star, immediately change the level layout for the next star

2. Ocarina of Time, splitscreen co-op multiplayer with friendly fire on

3. Pokemon, trainer's monsters scale to your own

4. Super Mario Sunshine, more shinesprites in the level at a time like 64 had going on, being able to collect a different objective than the one you specifically selected to enter the level

5. Wind Waker, more non-linearity being able to do either Earth or Wind temple before the other one, being able to do Forbidden Forest before Dragon Roost Cavern

>> No.9546673

>>9546303
OoT make the enemies more aggressive

>> No.9546708

>>9546665
3 is just Pokémon stadium.

>> No.9546735

>>9546537
I mean it's legit in that you did it, but you're not gonna be a game master or anything. Even then, savestates for practice aren't a problem to me. Gain Ground is a lot more fun trying to figure out the optimal playthrough on Hardest vs. losing all your characters in a single stage trying to understand some esoteric BS.

>> No.9546753

>>9546673
it really just needs more enemies in general. i saw a vid a couple weeks ago where some guy added moblins from the forest temple to hyrule field and it was awesome. that's what the game needed. i would've put moblins in the forest near lake hylia entrance and made sword stalfos appear at night during adult. maybe some tektites by the two rivers.

>> No.9546757
File: 47 KB, 626x473, tea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9546753
>stalfos everywhere
yea i'll pass

>> No.9546779

Alien Soldier with 6 button pad support for weapon swapping.
Sudeki with coop option like Tales of.
Sega CD letting you hold a button down during boot up to start cd games if a cart is in the genesis.
Reusable past/future signs in Sonic CD.
Super Mario Bros 3 with battery back up
Trading/egg trading in Digimon vpets
Four Swords 1 player mode(i know rerelease added it)
Not retro but letting you navigate Wii home menu with a gamecube controller

>> No.9546783

>>9546448
>>9546452
Casuals. Never being able to beat an impossible game makes it more memorable.

>> No.9546809

>>9546757
how bad are you at video games?>>9546757

>> No.9546817

>>9546809
ask yourself that, if your idea of improving a game is just spamming enemies across the overworld

>> No.9546821

>>9546817
you're kidding yourself if you think hyrule field couldnt have used extra enemies. it's a great game but the emptiness of the field is one of its greatest detractors. a few catefully selected enemies placed in believable locations around the map would have been an improvement and you know it.

>> No.9546840

>>9546303
Fantasia, just make it so jumping on enemies kills them. Probably most games that don't let you kill ememies by jumping on them too.

Golden axe 3, make throwing easier

Tongue of the fatman, feel like it could be a good game hiding in their if the moves were mapped to seperate buttons

All those euro shooters that don't let you walk and shoot at the same time.

I know no ones going to bother doing these and instead do another re translation of final fantasy so I'm learning how to do it right now. I think they would be pretty easy fixes.

Plenty of beat em ups where the characters move too slowly.

>>9546779
Like using the mode button to stop moving which has already been done in a couple of games.

>> No.9546849

>>9546821
flying ones because you can wield bow on horse back

>> No.9546912
File: 38 KB, 640x481, 1652757218106.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9546783
I don't know if I'd consider myself a casual, though I'm not hardcore either, somewhere in the middle I suppose. I know that for most of what I play, I can beat it if I play it enough, even if it takes you back to the title screen, however it can take a lot of time and memorization, still I do it most of the time, but there are a few here and there where I just gave up because it was too unreasonable, so now if I see that what I'm playing has unlimited continues, it's an immediate plus in my book.

>> No.9547342

cut your fucking fingernails

>> No.9547348

>>9546448
>>9546452
cringe
why do you even play video games? you don't want a challenge, you just want to watch things happen on the screen. just stick to your youtube eceleb letsplays, you clearly weren't cut out for the actual "game" part of video games.

>> No.9547349

>>9546303
Megaman legends: changing movement direction doesn't stop the camera movement

>> No.9547361

Every PS1 era JRPG: speeding up combat load time and combat animations by at least 1.5x speed. Remove any time the camera makes a circle around the combat zone.

>> No.9547397
File: 6 KB, 91x122, 1669606280069132m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9547348
>if you dont like replaying the same shit you have already mastered/are bored of and just want to get back to the part you are still working on beating, you dont like video games.

Guess save files and passwords were the downfall of the medium.

>> No.9547425

>>9546665
Mario Sunshine doesn't really work like 64 did where there's multiple objectives per one stage entrance. Every episode you enter has different parts swapped around and the episodes progress in a way that tells a small story about each level's inhabitants as you make your way through the level. For example, there are tourists at Sirena Beach that grow increasingly frustrated with the hotel's customer service as the levels progress, and there's a yellow pianta in Ricco Harbor that has a different excuse for shirking his work every episode with one exception where he hints at a hidden blue coin in the wall near him. Sunshine's episode structure enhances the worldbuilding which is something Sunshine focuses on a lot so to compromise that would detract from one of the game's best aspects. The things I would fix with Sunshine is make every episode in the game have 100 coins in it so you can get that shine in any episode and having skippable cutscenes. The big thing I would change is the progression system, though this is much more than the thread asks. I'd make the shadow mario fights their own special encounters that appear after a certain number of shines so progression is tied to shine quantity rather than completing specific objectives. Ideally, Shadow Mario would work similarly to Galaxy's comet stars where after a certain # of shines collected, Shadow Mario appears in a level where defeating him yields a shine and progresses the story. 7 fights at 10 shine intervals for a total of 70 to unlock every fight and 78 to beat the game since shadow mario fights and final bowser give shines. The dark veil over delfino plaza goes away at 60 shines but you only need 58 to beat the game regularly so if you do the bare minimum one of the game's biggest problems goes unsolved, so by upping the requirement to 70 to beat the game makes sure all the bad stuff Bowser Jr. did to pollute the island gets fixed. Sorry for the autistic rant. SMS is literally my favorite game.

>> No.9547535

>>9546821
>t's a great game but the emptiness of the field is one of its greatest detractors
Nah, love how it didn't fall into the same trap almost every other game does. Hyrule Field isn't nearly as big as ADHD zoomers like you pretend and you already spend 70% the time in enemy infested dungeons. The overword must be peaceful as a juxtaposition and it's a reason why it's such a beloved game. There are five times larger tracts of land without enemies in Elder Scrolls games and no one complains

>> No.9547536

>>9546673
Literally just use the Biggoron Sword and auto target less. It's not even gimping yourself because this is also how to do top DPS

>> No.9548245
File: 75 KB, 480x533, 1620794347001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9547348
I do want a challenge, and that's exactly why I can't stand being sent back to the title screen, all it does is that it forces me to replay earlier parts which I've already mastered, so I play all of the earlier levels just for a chance to play the part I'm stuck at again, it just feels like padding, when I lose, I want another shot at that part that gave me trouble, and while I don't think it's a bad thing to take me back to the start of the level, I actually find it quite fair, taking me all of the way back is just too much.

>> No.9548487

>>9546303
a few of mine...

1. Every retro game: Age verification so the game can only be played by people who were born before it was released. This would massively increase the quality of posts on this board.

>> No.9548712

>>9547425
>which is something Sunshine focuses on a lot so to compromise that would detract from one of the game's best aspects.
thanks i hate it
Sunshine is routinely voted as everyones worst Mario mainline game, and it would seem for good reason
compromising gameplay for le quirky story telling

>> No.9548720

>>9546303
Drakengard 2 - Manah is the protagonist instead of Nowe
Final Fantasy 12 - Vaan & Panelo are written out of the script

>> No.9548861

>>9548712
It doesn't compromise gameplay though. The game plays fine and Mario's movement is the best in the series. You can go lightning fast and turn on a dime in Sunshine. Using Fludd and Mario together effectively can really open up the game, and each episode having slightly altered layouts makes for not only a more fleshed out world, but more to do in each stage.

>> No.9548912
File: 36 KB, 300x411, images - 2023-01-07T113228.907.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9546912
From my experience games like Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Pugsleys Scavenger Hunt and Spiderman in arcades revenge have a spot in my heart despite never seeing the end screen. Had I beaten them in one sitting I may not even remember them.

>> No.9548940

>>9548861
then for Super Mario Sunshine, have more shinesprites in the level at a time like 64 had going on, being able to collect a different objective than the one you specifically selected to enter the level

>> No.9549053

I would love if Axel and Blaze also got a run in SoR2. Maybe buff the enemy speed/Skate to compensate.

>> No.9549106

>>9546448
this should be integrated into the easiest difficulty level as a training or practice mode

>> No.9549138

>>9547535
>Nah, love how it didn't fall into the same trap almost every other game does.
not an argument
>Hyrule Field isn't nearly as big as ADHD zoomers like you pretend and you already spend 70% the time in enemy infested dungeons
i bought the game at release. it felt massive at the time, and it's still pretty massive today. part of the fact it still feels so large is because there's nothing fucking in it. also lmao @ "enemy infested dungeons", dude there are barely any enemies in the dungeons. 80% of what you fight are trash mobs like deku babas and guays, and any remotely challenging enemy is fought a handful of times in extremely specific locations. as a result, the game is easy as fuck and you basically can't die unless you actively ignore the game's features like being able to hold 4 fairies. the game needed a larger number of strong enemies, plain and simple.
>There are five times larger tracts of land without enemies in Elder Scrolls games and no one complains
that's not even true, there may not be enemies in any given spot but enemies in most ES games can spawn anywhere, so there's at least a chance of finding an enemy where you hadn't before. would've been nice to see something like that in OoT.

>> No.9549145

>>9546783
Retard. Games were designed to be as hard as unfair as possible because the mentality of arcades was to get as many quarters as possible. Arcades have long since died, so now you're outdated, gramps. Everyone else moved on and stayed relevant.