[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 28 KB, 320x219, goldeneye64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
952932 No.952932 [Reply] [Original]

Most overrated game of all time?
>Bad mechanics
>Stupid AI
>the most awkward and clumsy controls
>Horrid graphics even for the time
>bad animations or even no animations
>slow paced gameplay for an FPS
>spy based game that doesn't involve stealth

I have yet to see one legitimate reason besides muh nostalgia as to why this game is good.

Compared to other FPS at the time (DOOM, Quake, Half-Life) this is just absolute shit.

>> No.952936

Yep. It hasn't aged well at all.

>> No.952956

>>952932
I dunno, I enjoyed it. It's not GOAT but it's definitely not bad

Perfect Dark is better though

>> No.952962

>>952936

Ah yes, when you have no concrete criticism against a game you can always return to good old "hasn't aged well"

OP isn't much better either.

>> No.952967

>>952956
>Perfect Dark is better though
PD is the superior game in every single way and I love you for having the courage to say it.

Listen, guys. I have the same fond memories of Goldeneye that you do. I remember laughing my ass off at DK mode. I did slappers-only four-player battles. I loved the missions. I could get over 100% accuracy with the revolver in the silo mission. I remember the agreement between gentlemen to not play Oddjob. I remember all these things just as clearly and fondly as you do.

But Perfect Dark is the better game. Perfect Dark is better. It is better in every way. It just wasn't the first. So relax when someone says PD is better. Just relax. It's not a personal attack.

>> No.952979

Doom, Half-Life and Quake are shit because there is no challenge, other than to survive the level. Goldeneye plays more like a video game, rather than a movie or survival shitfest; you actually have to get better at the game to get the best times for each level, whereas with the other games you mentioned you just mindlessly shoot, die, respawn, and shoot some more.

>> No.952982

007 wasn't shit.
Perfect Dark is better.

But 007 was great. Etrian Odyssey is a perfect analog.

EO 1 was great. I loved every part of it.
TThen EO2 came out and improved on everything EO1 did.
Then EO came out and improved again.
And EO brought further improvements.
Now, I try and play EO1 and I can't stand it because the other games are better. (Which is probably EO1 is getting a remake with more features)
So does that make EO1 bad? I don't think so, and anybody who tries to evaluate a game outside of its release date is a retard.

>> No.952985

When Goldeneye came out the idea of shooters was still so new of course everyone was going to love it. I never liked it, but I never liked shooters on consoles to begin with so no small wonder the one with the shittiest controls wouldn't be one of my memories.

>> No.952995

>>952932
I wouldn't say it's the most overrated of all time, because it is actually really good.

Just, Perfect Dark was better.

>> No.952997

multiplayer.

>> No.952998

>>952967
>But Perfect Dark is the better game. Perfect Dark is better. It is better in every way.

Framerate.

>> No.953002

>>952998
Fine. Almost every way.

In retrospect that framerate did get pretty fucking abysmal at times.

>> No.953016

>>952932

I would rather play a match of Goldeneye then any other multiplayer game. It's not "overratted" it was never even rated very high at the time. It has solid controls (for a console FPS) and is fun. It DOES require friends so.... some have never even "really" played this game.

Now ignore me as I remember epic radar off temple first to 5 grenade launcher battles.

>> No.953020

The campaign was pretty fun, at least.

>> No.953023
File: 301 KB, 631x469, its-klobberin-time.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are you talking about? Bunker II was all stealth.

Awkward controls? I never had a problem with that.

>> No.953037

>>953023
Yeah, the controls are actually superior to that of today's console FPSes because you can aim with more precision, whereas with modern FPSes you have to aim in a general direction and hope you hit your target.

>> No.953071

It's completely finishable, and I thought it was a decent challenge and I had fun playing it.

As far as I can see, the graphics the animations have very little bearing on the game mechanic itself, and I don't really care much for those things, but if you do, then I guess you can be upset.

I don't think the controls are bad. Perfect Dark pretty much had the same controls, and I didn't have a problem with that, that and Perfect Dark usually doesn't get complaints about its controls either.

The game didn't seem that slow-paced. In the first level, there is an enemy just around the corner. In fact, there are many levels like the one where you chase the antagonist on some towers which is fairly fast-paced.

The AI is fairly decent. I died enough times to remember that the game was a good challenge. They didn't commit suicide or anything; most of them shot at me like they are supposed to, with varying accuracy and damage depending on the difficulty.

Also, James Bond isn't entirely a stealth-based franchise either. There are many times where Bond gets in fights in the movies with firearms.

I agree that the game is overrated, but it is not necessarily because the game is bad (its definitely better than many other games), but because people say it's better than it actually is. It's not the best FPS, not even for the N64, because Perfect Dark happened.

I also understand that the concept of "bad vs. good x" is rather subjective, but I think that it is unfair to casually say that some facets of Goldeneye are generally bad, which is to lump it with games that are completely unenjoyable.

In fact, it is better to describe the AI behaviors that annoyed you instead of stating that it was bad overall. Many games fit upon a spectrum of good and bad, so it's more constructive to explain exactly why the game was bad. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's a good chance I'm responding to troll-bait. If so, shame on me.

>> No.953079

>>952979
Are you serious right now?

>> No.953098

>>952932
All your mad is showing, OP. You're comparing a console shooter to PC shooters of the same time. Of course it was inferior to PC shooters, it was fairly new on consoles, for christ's sake.

And I'll take just the Cradle level against Half-Life. I liked HL and the sequels even better, but that music? That 006, the akimbo ZZTs? No sir, GoldenEye allday, erryday.
Until they released Perfect Dark and improved on everything

>> No.953101

>>953079
Yes, I'm serious. Goldeneye has deeper, more rewarding gameplay to that of Doom, Quake and Half-Life. Go after all gold medals in Goldeneye and then unlock all the weapons and gear, and tell me that those other games are as rewarding and satisfying.

The only things those games do better are graphics and story, which are less important than gameplay, so therefore Goldeneye is superior.

Goldeneye is like a modern shmup with a complex and addictive scoring system, and those other FPSes are like a simplistic 80's shmup that is only played for surval. Goldeneye was an evolution of the genre, whereas those others games are rather primitive.

>> No.953150

>>953002
>In retrospect that framerate did get pretty fucking abysmal at times.
read: when everyone had N-bombs and no fucks were given.

Seriously, I don't know what the fuck Rare was thinking when they greenlit N-bombs, but that was some seriously fun shit. Only proxi-pinball grenades have been as much fun since.

>> No.953168

>>953101
They're more satisfying because they run at an acceptable framerate and can be played with a proper control scheme. Lots of shit for autists to do to keep themselves occupied doesn't matter if the game is shit to play.

>> No.953179

Goldeneye is a product of its time. It's still just a playable now as it was then. And I still think it's a good, fun game. It's just about as deep as a puddle. I thought it was a really cool adaptation of my favorite Bond film. It was doing things for console shooters that had never been done before. I still think the mission designs, objectives, music, and enemy animations make it a fun single player experience. The multiplayer is probably best left as a memory, though.

>> No.953203

>people complaining about bad AI in an N64 game
>people complaining about bad controls when it's the N64 controller we're talking about
>people complaining about bad graphics for a 1997 console FPS
What are you guys expecting? Halo 5? It's a console game from 1997--of course it's outdated. That's like saying the NES is a shit tier console for not having two clickable joysticks with matching triggers on either side. Goldeneye is fun for the game it is both then and now and people need to chill the fuck out.

>> No.953207

Goldeneye X makes all of these arguments moot.

>> No.953220

>>952932
Dear God, not a GE bashing thread. Here goes...

>Bad mechanics
They're amazing mechanics inspired by Mario 64.
>Stupid AI
Fair enough.
You can customise them. It's your problem for not using 1.2 Solitaire.
That's funny. No other console FPS used environmental mapping on glass. No PC FPS games used it either.
It had locational damage animations. That counts for something.
That's not a real criticism. It's a strong point.
The game does have stealth. Enemies can't hear you if you use silenced weapons, and they can't see behind themselves.

Perfect Dark is a million times better, but GE still has some good things going for it.

>> No.953223

>>952998
>Framerate.
Goldeneye had a terrible framerate, and it had fog.
Perfect Dark had an unstable framerate, very little fog, and dynamic lighting.

>> No.953227

By slow gameplay I mean you must walk forward then stop aim and shoot at targets standing still in the open.

>> No.953240
File: 53 KB, 500x210, 1369734209306.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> can't unsee

>> No.953241

>>953220
>It had locational damage animations. That counts for something.
I LOVED shooting people in the ass.

>> No.953248

>>953101
What exactly do you mean "deeper, more rewarding gameplay"? Doom and Quake might be simplistic, but they are very difficult, and the sense of accomplishment at the end of every level is truly a treat. There are many secrets to give you a goal that I feel is also very rewarding. The way you place the graphics is honestly personal opinion as they were more advanced than Doom, and were different from Half-Life or Quake, but I will agree that they weren't all that great. Doom and Quake were hardly story driven either, but I think that Half-Life pulled it off. Scoring systems are just a way to give people a false sense of accomplishment, I don't think that it makes the gameplay any better, and I certainly don't think it matters if a game is simplistic. They are more than just survival games, they have goals just like any other game.

Back to your initial post,
>there is no challenge, other than to survive the level
That is the main goal of every first person shooter, and I don't understand how this is a negative thing.
>Goldeneye plays more like a video game, rather than a movie or survival shitfest; you actually have to get better at the game to get the best times for each level
Doom and Quake play more like video games, rather than a movie or tactical shitfest; you actually have to get better at the game to get the best times for each level. Doom even punishes you for dying, by removing all of your weapons, forcing you to restart with a pistol.

>> No.953251

>>953227
>By slow gameplay I mean you must walk forward then stop aim and shoot at targets standing still in the open.
You can aim and move at the same time. You've just got to change the control scheme to 1.2 or something similar. Fine aiming with the shoulder button is most useful for leaning around corners.

>> No.953256

>>953207
>moot
brb fapping
>Goldeneye X
What is Goldeneye X?

>> No.953258

>>953248
Not the guy you're replying to, but...

The thing about games like Doom and Quake and Half Life is that they are fundamentally about shooting stuff. Goldeneye\Perfect Dark\even TimeSplitters 2 - these games are less linear, and more about solving objectives. I think PD is the best of the 3 because you can avoid killing people and get a sense of accomplishment from that.

>> No.953265

>>953256
>What is Goldeneye X?
It's that mod which ports Goldeneye's MP into the Perfect Dark engine.

>> No.953280

>>953258
>>953101
Have you even played Half-Life?

>> No.953296

>>953280
Yes.

>Walk down corridor. Shoot shit.
>Door blocks you.
>Find way around.
>Another corridor. Shoot more shit.
>Another blocked door.
>Turn some handles.
>Proceed.
That's the whole game. Repeated over and over again.

Compare that to Perfect Dark.
>Enter building from rooftop.
>Disable security system.
>Proceed downstairs.
>Unlock the door to Cassandra's office, then knock her out to get her knecklace. This can be done at any time, but her knecklace is needed for elevator on ground floor.
>Go downstairs. Clear out floor if you wish.
>Go downstairs. Find security guy, and force him to take you back upstairs and hack the PC. Knock him out before he can erase files.
>Go downstairs via elevator. Semi-scripted fight scene. Fight your way to security room and plant device on PC. Then make your way to the elevator to complete mission.

>> No.953295

>>953258
They are different types of shooters save Half-Life, so I honestly do not understand why OP decided to compared the games, but I was simply responding because half the text he was mindlessly punching into his keyboard was either untrue, opinions, or ridiculously out of proportion.

Back to OP's post, the most overrated game (series), in my opinion, is Pokemon. The games are fun, and are very different, but they are just more turn based roleplay games, which aren't really fun to me.

>> No.953308

>>953296
Where did Perfect Dark come from? OP's post was for Goldeneye.

>> No.953316

golden eye was a successful with counsel kiddies who had never played a fps before.

thats why they didn't have a problem with the controls being terrible, the gun balance/variety being shit, movment being pathetically slow, customization in death match being nonexistant, death match balance being crap (seriously you start un-armed and the level stage lay-outs suck, spawn camping and controlling the armor respawns is way too easy), and the graphics looking like shit (compare golden eye to unreal, which released about the same time), and the ai was crap

>> No.953324

>>953101
gold eye' "scoring" system is just beating the levels really fast

par times existed in first person shootes since fucking wolfingstein

golden eye also doesnt keep track of what % of secrets you find or what % of enemies you kill so it actually has a simplier scoring mechanism than wolfenstein

your arguement sucks

>> No.953331

>>953308
Because PD is the better game, and >>953280
was replying to >>953258
who mentioned it. But the exact same argument could be made using Goldeneye's Dam mission.

>> No.953338

>>952932
The N64 controller was weird, man. We didn't know any better. The controls are the best that they could have been on that bizarre, three-handed contraption. You have no idea how much I HATE that I'm that guy right now, but if you're playing on the real hardware, the controls work way better. I was working my way through 00 agent on my friend's N64 the other day and then tried to play it in an emulator, and it just infuriated me how impossible it was to do anything with the analog stick.

As far as graphics, I've never been one to give a damn. And I personally think it looks really good in some places, considering its age and platform. The NPC/enemy faces are unintentionally hilarious now, but not because they don't look like faces. But I play a game to PLAY a game.

And it's a fast-paced, kill everything FPS. It's very good at being that. It may not be the best representation of the James Bond experience, but it is very fun on its own terms.

>> No.953343

>>953338
>I was working my way through 00 agent on my friend's N64 the other day and then tried to play it in an emulator, and it just infuriated me how impossible it was to do anything with the analog stick.
You can bind the analogue stick to the mouse with an emulator and it works fine.

The 1.1 controls are fundamentally stupid because they're tank controls. 1.2 is far superior.

>> No.953364

Perfect Dark is definitely the better of the two but I still love Goldeneye, flawed though it may be. Despite it's awkward, clunky controls I've managed to get pretty good at it, winning a few tourneys at local cons and such, and I still play it regularly on my old N64.

>>953296
Okay what about Facility on 00 Agent? You had several objectives, involving meeting a mole and using a lock decryptor, planting mines and avoiding civilian casualties? Then on Surface, you had to find a key to a safe, steal some blueprints and shut down a satellite. Sounds awfully like Perfect Dark to me.

>> No.953376

>>953364
>Okay what about Facility on 00 Agent? You had several objectives, involving meeting a mole and using a lock decryptor, planting mines and avoiding civilian casualties? Then on Surface, you had to find a key to a safe, steal some blueprints and shut down a satellite. Sounds awfully like Perfect Dark to me.
That was my point. It was pointing out that Half Life is a linear series of puzzles and locked doors. Goldeneye's facility map offers free roaming, opportunities for stealth, and a variety of objectives.

>> No.953525

>>952979
>confirmed for not playing these games for more than 10 minutes

>> No.953597

>>953296
Yeah, you definitely haven't played Half-Life before.

Also, that whole PD segment you described is literally just going room to room shooting people and pushing buttons.

>> No.953606

>>952962
>Ah yes, when you have no concrete criticism against a game you can always return to good old "hasn't aged well"
When time improves a genre, mechanics and crontols to the point the older game is awkward to play, yeah, it means the old game won't age well.

>> No.953636

>>953376
you make golden eye sound ALOT more open ended than it really is

Theres only 1 real route to for going through first level. Sure you can do the objectives out of order but all that does is make the level take longer by making it so you need back-track.

Each of the objectives can also basically be completed 1 way.

The first time you go through the level you sort of fumble around looking for the objectives. Than once you learn where they are its becomes as linear as half-life.

>> No.953642

>>953606
the ackward controls in golden-eye weren't 'improved with time'
they were always bad

Unreal, quake, duke 3d, hexen half-life, even fucking doom all controlled perfectly

>> No.953668

>>953642
Goldeneye had positively sublime controls for what they dealt with to get it to work. I'm a mouse/kb warrior 'til I die, but don't hate the Rare N64 work man, they made miracles.

>> No.953694

>>953636
>there is an optimal way to do something
>therefore it's the only way, game sucks

>> No.953697

>>952932
Well, I would say that the main difference is that you couldn't have four people play Doom, Quake, or Half-Life together on one machine like you could with Goldeneye. Other than that you're pretty much right. Soundtrack is pretty boss though, same for weapon selection.

>> No.953701

>>952967
Don't forget also about TimeSplitters, the even better sequel series.

>> No.953704

>>953701
I think GE007 was better than both *for its time*.

Otherwise, I agree fully. They didn't shake the genre up as much, and I don't have the same volume of memories with them, but PD was an improvement, and TimeSplitters was amazing.

>lets pretend the X360 Perfect Dark didn't happen

>> No.953717

Yes, because Goldeneye's entire legacy has *nothing* to do with being the first console four-player split-screen FPS. Yep, Doom and Quake definitely are known for their split-screen local multiplayer.

>> No.953721

>>953717
Well, split-screen multiplayer best avoided if possible so it's hardly a plus.

>> No.953725

>>953721
...is best avoided*

hurr

>> No.953731

>>953725
When you have access to a PC, which I do/did, yes, splitscreen multi is great.

But when you're on a block where only 1-2 kids have a N64 and the internet doesn't fucking exist yet, Goldeneye was the *shit*.

>> No.953747

>>953642
i think your being quite generous to doom consiering how abysmal the controls in chocolate doom were without the ability to change controls although i might be miistaken

>> No.953774

>>953037
Fact: the only console FPS with good controls was Quake 3 on the Dreamcast.

And maybe Duke3d or Quake on Saturn, since one of the two could optionally use the exact same controller scheme if you had an analog pad.

>> No.953779

Honestly I just loved two things about this game
>the music
>the environment on any open stage

Fuck knows why about the second one, but I loved it then and still love it now

>> No.953795

>>953037
it takes about 3-5 seconds to fully turn around in golden eye

the cursor movment is so slow that it possible for objects to move faster than your cursor can keep up with.

The skill-cap on aiming is incredibly low because of how limited your cursor move speed is

looking down at the ground makes you move noticably faster

the weapon changing is so primitive that juggling more than 2 weapons at a time takes fucking forever

>> No.953797

>>953747
one of the nice things about doom and other pc shooters is they are easily modded if you dont like something

thats part of the reason golden eye is so mediocre, the entire game is designed around the limits of the n64's hardware and its bad analog stick

>> No.953802

Could they not put voice acting in the game?
You talk to people and are forced to stare at their blank, emotionless, animation less face while you read what they are saying.

>> No.953807

>>953802
probably cartridge limits

>> No.953827

>>952967
>I remember the agreement between gentlemen to not play Oddjob.

Despite everyone's insistence that Oddjob was OP, playing Oddjob in my neighborhood was an instant-lose because they would just casually tilt the crosshair downwards and headshot him.

>> No.953842

Here! Here!

GoldenEye 64 is a pile of trash that a few people love for one two reasons:
1.) They played it far more than all of their playstation owning friends so as to memorize spawn points.

2.) They thought playing like a bitch and ruining the fun for others was fun.

Of course, the joke was on them. Normal people owned a playstation and had access to much better games.

Tangentially related; GoldenEye: Source is actually a pretty cool game.

>> No.953857

>>952932
>Bad Mechanics? In what way?
>Stupid AI? Yeah, cause no other game has AI exploits
>Horrid Graphics(Nice try son)

>> No.953859

>>953842
You know why playstation players suck? they only had 1 friend

>> No.953860

>>953842

wow. looks like someone had some traumatic experiences with goldeneye multiplayer.

>> No.953861
File: 50 KB, 256x294, Cncts-win-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Too many different units to build
wtf was up with the disk throwers that was lame
mehh storyline
not enough commando missions
fog of war was hard to get rid of

This franchise would have gone under if it wasnt for RA2, Generals, and C&C 3 saving their asses from red alert, tiberium sun, C&C 4, RA3, and renegade was good but dosent count for this, but it still should have been a game where you play as Tanya

>> No.953862

>>953859
Stay jealous. You probably thought mario kart was better than CTR too. topkek

>>953860
While you little kiddies were wasting your time with GE007, real men were playing the original GTA on their playstations.

>> No.953870

>>953862
yeah all that SSBB was so traumatic with four people. Enjoy your Devil Dice.

>> No.953875

Jesus Christ. /vr/ is terrible now.

>> No.953876

>>953857
>AI stands straight up out in the open so that even a retard can shoot them
>controls are very slow and clumsy

>> No.953880

>all these nostalgia goggles
Its time to stop being a le 90's kid xD

>> No.953894

>>953861
In regards to Renegade, it's pretty mediocre actually.

Worst thing about the game is that no matter where you shoot an enemy, they do the same flinch animation. It makes it really ineffective to aim for their head because they do this head bobbing thing that will make your shots miss, nullifying any extra damage hitting them there with a stream of damage does (if any).

While a fun game, it was pretty obvious FPS was not their strong suit. Loved the ability to transform enemies into tiberium mutants though.

>> No.953905

>>952932
>2,5/10
Can't look at that picture anymore without seeing a really big mouth. Wouldn't bang

>> No.953908
File: 16 KB, 320x296, 1332839378537.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>953880
As long as we're going full /v/ in here.

>> No.953919

>>953880
>xD
Does this really mean anything anymore beyond "I am mad"...?

>> No.953920

>>953894
if EA remade it now it would be much better on the dice engine

>> No.953954

>>953098
>Cradle level surpassing the entire half-life franchise

nice bait bruh

>> No.954075

>>953862

i had and played GTA as well, loved the 2 original topdown games...but i enjoyed playing goldeneye with friends too

is this too hard to grasp?

>> No.954081

>>953023

>bond
>stealth

>> No.954123
File: 90 KB, 401x700, let-it-go.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Man we can't even enjoy GoldenEye anymore, can we?

>> No.954209

>>952932
I have been saying this forever OP. This game is horrible and gets way too much respect

>> No.955019

>>953597
Incorrect. There's:
Using gadgets. (One gadget, the Data Uplink, is used after knocking out the hacker, to upload the files. The second is the electronics override thingie - can't recall its name. You have to plant two of them to deal with security.)
Escorting. You have to escort the hacker back upstairs.
Getting Cassandra's necklace also requires the use of non-lethal combat.

And the whole mission is a sandbox. THAT is the key difference between Perfect Dark and something like Half Life.

>> No.955560

>Bad mechanics
No

>Stupid AI
N64 era; what did you expect

No

Yes

wat

That's because it's objective-based and actually required you to think, not just Doom/Quake HURR SHOOT EVERYTHING; SO MUCH SKILL

So a faithful representation of the movies then.

>> No.955597

>>Horrid graphics even for the time

The character models are awful, but the environments and effects (EXPLOSIONS!) look very nice.

>> No.955619
File: 96 KB, 776x602, 1344258766200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>953338
>The N64 controller was weird, man.

>> No.955629

>>954081
did you ever play it on the hardest difficulty? stealth really came up, but it's no riddick

>> No.955646

>>955629
>stealth really came up, but it's no riddick
People think that because Goldeneye doesn't have shitty forced stealth, it's not a stealth game.

The stealth mechanics are clunky, but they serve to deepen the gameplay.

>> No.955978
File: 16 KB, 300x205, Expert-300x205.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I´ve been playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on 007 and Perfect agent respectively on the n64 lately and I think i can give some fair points:
>1.- Goldeneye was respected initially because it was one of the first games to use motion capture on 3d
>2.- Forgive me pc fags, but goldeneye was one of the first games as well to implement variety of damage acording to the area targeted
>3.- The solitaire controller is pretty much a mouse and a keyboard, plus, it gave you a shitload of options on which controller you wanted to play with
>4.- Both games´initial agent and secret agent serve basically as training levels for the harder dificulties, because each harder dificulty builds upon the previous, which is actually pretty neat.
>5.- I wouldn´t call neither fps games by themselves. I´ve played through quake, doom, duke nukem...(you get the idea) and The PerfectEye games feel like a more strategical thing, almost like a try for a stealth game before metal gear solid
>5.- Both of them multiplayers (Specially PD´s) feel abysmal

I got the urge to play them because I recently beat Goldeneye007 on Classic mode, and wanted a bit more fun, and I can say this... for all the criticism Goldeneye gets recently it is still the hardest game of it´s kind, even much harder than perfect dark

>> No.955985

>>955619
>thinking a fisher-price clusterfuck makes a good controller

And yeah OP, only people who were little kids and had nothing other than an N64 to play on when Goldeneye came out think it's a good game.

>> No.955990
File: 167 KB, 1312x1014, 1375248467917.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>953220

>mechanics inspired by mario 64

>> No.955995
File: 187 KB, 500x372, nerd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>955990
Martin Hollis has openly said he got the idea to make every mission objective-based after playing Mario 64 and seeing how it made every mission about collecting Stars in any order the player pleased.

So yea, Goldeneye\Perfect Dark are directly influenced by Mario 64.

And it seems to me that would make games like Half Life more like Crash Bandicoot compared to the Mario 64-esque design of GE\PD.

>> No.956007

>>955995

It's a single mechanic, so I think giving it too much credit would be silly. But I see your point.

>> No.956010

>>955995
>>956007
Oh, yea, and Goldeneye's clipping system was also directly inspired by Mario 64, IIRC. But that's a more technical thing.

>> No.956023

>>956007
Dude... you cannot comprehend how 3d was practically nonexistant before Mario 64... It was something the general public hadn´t seen before. But then again, you probably didn´t live that era yourself

>> No.956034

>>956023

Wow, a presumptuous, stupid asshole. Nice.

>You can't comprehend how nonexistent 3d games were

A fucking mission-based setup as absolutely fuck-all nothing to do with being 3d.

>> No.956054
File: 299 KB, 1072x804, IMG00053-20130626-0348.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>956034
>Wow, a presumptuous, stupid asshole. Nice.
Oh the Irony... not even gonna respond to that

you know what? you´re right, it doesn´t. But since it´s such an easy, bad mess of a game, even a newb can probably beat it. which means you won´t, because you are not even good at these games... right?

TL;DR: step up to my level pleb, I don´t critizise before beating a game
Pic related

>> No.956084

>>953240
never ever saw that before, really
>why is there a gun barrel floating in front of his face
>because it's his hand holding a gun
>okay then

>> No.956137

>>953842
>calling it Goldeneye 64

>> No.956191

>>956137
>>calling it Goldeneye 64
People call it 64 these days to set it apart from the remake. Just saying.

>> No.956201

>>956034
>A fucking mission-based setup as absolutely fuck-all nothing to do with being 3d.
Actually, dude, it had a lot to do with 3D. Mario 64's Star objective system was a direct response to the challenge of trying to translate platformer gameplay from 2D to 3D.

Games like Crash Bandicoot went in a completely different direction.

>> No.956627

>>953016

>It has solid controls (for a console FPS)

Stop saying this. I'm sick of reading the excuse "for a console FPS" every time someone tries to defend a console FPS. You don't give it extra points because the developer decided to develop it for the wrong platform on purpose. You compare it to every game available on the market, including those on PC. If there are FPS games with fluid mouse and keyboard controls out there, then controls like Goldeneye has are comparatively terrible and it's valid criticism towards the game. You can't just divide it into its own category free from any criticism.

It's the same shit you guys do with Halo. The FPS genre does not work with a controller and it never will. People who play video games on every system don't have to justify inferior products like this.

>> No.956637
File: 146 KB, 600x748, goldenmouth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>956084

>> No.956639
File: 117 KB, 600x808, brosnan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>956637

>> No.956640

>>953223
>dat glass

the amount of breakable glass was a big deal for me

>> No.956652

>>953920
Renegade X is a fan remake of the multiplayer, coming out eventually. It's been on ModDB for ages, and turned into an indie game. They also released a short campaign.

Somehow EA is fine and dandy with it, according to one of the devs

>> No.956649

>>953795
>objects can move faster
That's why you have to "iron sight" with R and accelerate/pinpoint the cursor. It's the difference between a noob and someone who's played the game for a long time.

>> No.956656

>>953880
I bet you think gen 1 pokemon sucks you fucking punk

>> No.956663

>>953747
Chocolate Doom is a source port, the fuck are you talking about?
And you could change the controls from the start.

>> No.956675

>>955985
Now I know you're trolling
>>956627
would you not play an fps on the computer because it required you to use a joystick?

>> No.956706

>>956675

>would you not play an fps on the computer because it required you to use a joystick?

Depends on how it felt. I'm not a fan of non-mouselook FPS controls, but I've played DOOM and Rise of the Triad and Catacomb 3D without it, but it definitely detracts from the experience and they aren't as good as games from 1996 onwards. Goldeneye came out in 1997 and manages to feel clunkier than FPS games from 1992, and this is in the middle of when games like Duke 3D, Blood, Quake, Shadow Warrior, Unreal, and Half-life were coming out.

Perfect Dark felt just as shitty except that game even came out as late as 2000

>> No.958236

>>952932
>herp durp how can i upset people online today

okay underage b cancer. go back to your unpopular opinions thread

>inb4 mad

dont even like that game

>> No.958280

>>956656
Not him, but Gen 1 had a ton of issues and an awful lack of balance. This is to be expected, given that RBY were the first games in the series, but you can't deny that Gen 2 fixed everything wrong with Gen 1 and came out the better games.

>> No.958325

It was cool because you could shoot people in the crotch and they would start bleeding from their dicks.

No seriously, back in the day it was kinda impressive.

>> No.958356

>>952932
my neighbor had an N64 and we used to play this all the time. Later it became Perfect Dark.

Befriended someone recently who had N64 and a copy of that and suggested we played it. It has not aged well at all and controls feel awful, im not sure how I managed at the time. Perfect Dark feels much, much better.

>> No.958368
File: 38 KB, 256x380, Doom_cover_art[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Most overrated game of all time?
>Bad mechanics
>Stupid AI
>overly simplistic combat for an FPS
>no strategy or objectives involved whatsoever; just run around shooting everything that moves

I have yet to see one legitimate reason besides muh nostalgia as to why this game is good.

Compared to other FPS at the time (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Half-Life) this is just absolute shit.

>> No.958376

>>953101
nice b8 m8

>The only things those games do better are graphics and story, which are less important than gameplay, so therefore Goldeneye is superior.
>Doom, Quake have no important story and are pretty much the standard for all shooters to come.
Those games are ALL about gameplay. Theres a reason competitive gaming revolved around Quake and not Goldeneye. Not to mention the Quake engine is still scene in a shit load of games today

>> No.958379

>>958368
gr8 b8 m8, nice 8
>other fps at the time

>> No.958391

>>953747
you could use mouse and keyboard for original Doom, its the way Romero said to play it. That goes as far back as Wolf3D

>> No.958407
File: 1.34 MB, 350x270, 1374221144982.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Play Goldeneye multiplayer normally
>My friends and I get bored
>Decide to play slappers-only
>Multiplayer suddenly becomes three times as fun
>Sink hours in multi just playing slappers-only

>> No.958409

>>958407
License to Kill with pistols is also a pretty fun way to play. Auto Aim off of course.

>> No.958412
File: 146 KB, 610x406, goldeneye_kaboom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952932
>stupid AI
>most awkward controls
>horrid graphics
>bad/no animations
>doesn't involve stealth

All of this is complete bullshit for 1997. GoldenEye was a bit slow and stiff with rough framerates at times, but did plenty of interesting things that no console or PC FPS was doing at the time. Especially for AI and animations, lol, are you even serious.

There weren't even that many fully-3D FPSes in existence.

>> No.958415
File: 82 KB, 750x562, doom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>953747
>complaining about controls in Doom

bitches don't know about my SETUP.EXE

>> No.958418

>>958415
Doom has prob some of my favorite controls (even without the Y axis)
plus you cant beat that speed. An fps without speed just doesnt cut it for me, might as well be playing a tank based game

>> No.958434

>>953597

>going room to room shooting people and pushing buttons.

In other words, exactly what you do in Half-Life.

>> No.958436

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwVEYqnpcc#t=1m20s

Goldeneye gameplay, 1997

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyuKdMAhcNI

Duke Nukem 3D gameplay, 1996

>> No.958457

>>952967
I will not stand for these personal attacks.

>> No.958561

>>958436
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwVEYqnpcc#t=1m20s
>Goldeneye gameplay, 1997
In this video, we see the world's most incompetent player attempt to play Goldeneye. He can't aim properly, and takes far too long to complete simple objectives.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyuKdMAhcNI
>Duke Nukem 3D gameplay, 1996
In this video, we see a dude jump around killing stuff for no apparent reason. The only visible objective is to find key cards to access the next area. There is no gameplay depth beyond killing and bunny hopping.

>> No.958680

>>958561

>There is no gameplay depth beyond killing and bunny hopping

I don't see how you can tell me a game with varied enemy and weapon types all put together on well-thought-out maps full of secret passages and traps has no depth but walking around linear corridoors in goldeneye killing generic human guards that have no AI with generic real-world weapons that are all the same thing is "deep"

Also there's no bunny hopping in that video or even fundementally in Duke 3D. That's just a word you heard the big boy PC players say somewhere

>> No.958687

>>958680
>I don't see how you can tell me a game with varied enemy and weapon types all put together on well-thought-out maps full of secret passages and traps has no depth but walking around linear corridoors in goldeneye killing generic human guards that have no AI with generic real-world weapons that are all the same thing is "deep"
I can, because the gameplay of the two games is fundamentally different.

Duke Nukem 3D is primarily about killing things and finding the level exit.

Goldeneye is about completing objectives. Combat is not the focus of the game.

Duke has some pretty neat interactive environments, but it's always just a cool gimmick.

>> No.958701

>>958687

>Goldeneye is about completing objectives. Combat is not the focus of the game.

It even has boss fights, and its non-objective-based multiplayer is the most famous thing about it. That excuse doesn't fly.

>> No.958704

>>958701
>It even has boss fights, and its non-objective-based multiplayer is the most famous thing about it.
You mean Xena? Or Cradle? Those are incidental parts of larger missions.

And the multiplayer was tossed together in six weeks. The singleplayer game design is the more relevant part of the game.

>> No.958710
File: 8 KB, 211x193, 1262444284020.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>958687

>combat isn't the focus of Goldeneye
>game has like 30 weapons and 2 tank levels

In Goldeneye you go around shooting people and doing objectives to reach the end of the level. In Duke you go around shooting people and finding keycards to reach the end of the level, as well as doing puzzles.

The main difference between both games is that Duke Nukem 3D is great fun and Goldeneye is a shitty game.

>> No.958730

>>958710
Frigate:
Rescue hostages.
Disarm bombs.
Plant tracking bug on Tiger helicopter.

That's a level of gameplay sophistication Duke Nukem never comes close to.

You don't walk up to the chopper and press B. You actually throw the bug onto it.

>> No.958752
File: 5 KB, 184x184, meatwad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>958730
im not the guy that you're quoting but...
>implying you didnt have to find out the code to the submarine hatch before it flooded and you drowned
>implying you didnt need to meticulously plan your attack on that room of multiple assault commanders/battle lords
>implying you didnt need a strategy to kill the alien queen
>implying you never had to lay down laser traps
yeah there was no "no here, do this" but there was strategy in the combat.
also
>implying that both games done have their own pros and cons, making both games good on their own way

>> No.958776

>>958730

>rescue hostages

Walk into room and perform combat

>Disarm bombs

Press button

>Throw something onto something

This amazing, mindblowing gameplay feature doesn't make the rest of the game fun. Duke 3D has sophistication in its variety of enemy types and weapon types, interactivity of the level itself, destruction of environment (not making a chair explode by shooting it with your pistol but actually blowing holes in walls), alternate, usually hidden paths around a level, and huge level-changing setpieces when you find certain switches or complete an "objective"

But BEYOND all that, its fundemental mechanics are much more refined, including and especially its controls. That's what makes it a good GAME. It's fun to PLAY, unlike Goldeneye which is better than being a clunky, boring game that "had some cool ideas"

>> No.958820
File: 51 KB, 500x342, TWINE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why does nobody ever talk about the best 007 game on n64?

>> No.958828
File: 144 KB, 256x329, 007_-_Nightfire_Coverart[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>958820

Same reason nobody ever talks about the best 007 game in general. "I grew up awn duh Goldeneye. Goldeneye numbah 1. Fuck everybody, Nintendo Power told me it's 10/10 best FPS ever"

>> No.958853

>>958828
Nightfire was great, but fuck those snipers in that power plant level.

>> No.959552

it was banned in germany, so a friend of mine ship his version from the uk to germany. We played it alot in multiplayer, and it was fun. We didn't notice the choppy framerate since then. well, we notice it, but it doesnt matter.

>> No.959651

>>952932

Don't know if this has been stated yet, but you're comparing 3 games which were leading games on the PC in their day with a game for console, not to mention that when doom was ported to 64 it sucked cock (it may have been the best port, but still failed), quake when ported could have been used for toilet paper at that point it was a wast of anyone energy to lift the cart. As for half life that was released in 1998 while Golden Eye was released in 1997, an entire year difference.

Just saying though, and I am assuming you are 19 - 21 age range so your opinion is now void.

>> No.960074

>>958820
Wasn't it really buggy or something? I also seem to recall the level design wasn't as good.

>> No.960083

>>959651
>not to mention that when doom was ported to 64 it sucked cock
Doom wasn't ported, it was an entirely different game. And it was fucking rad.

>> No.960148

Seriously? Is it hipster to dislike Goldeneye now? It was revolutionary because it enabled console gamers to do in their living rooms what you could only really do in LAN parties before. It had great music, great graphics, brilliant motion captured bad guys with dynamic hit boxes, loads of options, replay value and a challenging and varied single player campaign. Can you even name one console FPS before Goldeneye which was nearly as popular? People who think it's shit are spoiled by the hundreds of console FPS's which came out as pretenders to Goldeneye.

>> No.960195

>>960148
Being the best console FPS in 1997 is like winning the special olympics. That is the problem. There were far better games out at the time, but people here were often too young to have PCs so nostalgia trumps reason.

>> No.960253

As someone who played both Doom and GE as a kid, the games were nothing like each other. Of course you'll be disappointed in GE if you were expecting Doom, just like someone expecting a coke would be disappointed to find out they got a can of licorice soda.

The thing about GE was that it had objectives and missions. When playing Doom, well, it was fun but I didn't exactly have much use for a mission select since they all entailed the exact same thing. GE has you doing varied things every stage -- blow up this item, protect this person, find this thing, find and blow up this thing but don't kill that person in the process -- and that made it vastly different from the other FPS games around. Even if you killed every thing on the entire stage, you could fail the mission if you didn't pay attention to your actual objectives.

Not being a huge fan of FPS games in general, I don't know how many games nowadays have actual step-by-step missions more complicated than "go here" with the occasional "don't let this guy die", but I imagine it isn't many. So even if it has clunky controls and bad AI and such, it's still a bit of a unique experience. And it was most certainly a unique experience in 1997.

>> No.960301

>>960195
I couldn't afford a PC, they were like £700 entry level here at the time. Never owned one until 1999.

>> No.960304

I loved goldeneye as a kid but going back to it, it plays horribly. The missions you do are exceedingly vague and stupid unless you know exactly where to go and what to do for them, the weapons are very samey, and the framerate makes it feel like you're stumbling through a pool full of jello at all times. Not to mention that while the N64 controller could certainly be used well for some things, fps games weren't one of them.

It got huge for a lot of the same reasons that Halo got huge; at the time, it did something very different than console shooters were doing at the time. Halo popularized regenerating health (of a sort, your shield) and vehicles in big open environments and people were like "wooooah its like reeeal liiiife" despite the fact that it was also crammed full of rather lousy copy-pasted corridor shooter segments that games prior to it had fallen back upon for years. Meanwhile, Goldeneye introduced mission-based gameplay that abandoned things like keycards and other staples that currently existed in the PC genre and people were similarly in awe while conveniently forgetting that most of the levels were still really simply hallways full of bad men that shoot at you and not that different than its contemporaries, you were just doing a menial task of some sort rather than finding a keycard. All in all, every innovation it made was trounced and improved on a year later by Half-Life.

Some games really just -don't- age well.

>> No.960379

>>952932
>I have yet to see one legitimate reason besides muh nostalgia as to why this game is good.

4 friends + alcohol - with the exception of Mario Kart choices for multi player good-times like this 14 years ago were slim

>> No.960502

Well sure it hasnt aged well by todays "standards". I just really like the idea of battling friends as a fancy spy instead of a steroid pumped superhuman.

>> No.960560 [DELETED] 

>Bad mechanics
No, it actually has excellent shooting mechanics. It is the first free-roaming shooting game that allows you to target individual body parts. Additionally, each body part when shot stuns enemies for varying lengths of time. Keeping a group of enemy soldiers stunlocked is an important part of surviving on 00 Agent mode.

>Stupid AI
Errr...actually the AI is slightly better than the totally brainless AI found in Doom and Quake. Yes, the AI is exploitable, but that's part of the game. Knowing how to exploit the AI is essential on the harder levels.

I'd argue Turok is worse on this front.

This is a real proof that you're trolling. No FPS released at the time had animation has good as Goldeneye 007 (except maybe Turok). You have guards rolling out of the way, grabbing their crotch when shot in the dick, all sorts of crazy shit.

Goldeneye was pretty much the first FPS that wasn't a complete Quake clone.

Yes it has a stealth system, and it works. It is the first FPS with a proper stealth system to boot. Play Bunker 2 on 00 Agent and tell me that there is no stealth system.

>> No.960561

>Bad mechanics
No, it actually has excellent shooting mechanics. It is the first free-roaming shooting game that allows you to target individual body parts. Additionally, each body part when shot stuns enemies for varying lengths of time. Keeping a group of enemy soldiers stunlocked is an important part of surviving on 00 Agent mode.

>Stupid AI
Errr...actually the AI is slightly better than the totally brainless AI found in Doom and Quake. Yes, the AI is exploitable, but that's part of the game. Knowing how to exploit the AI is essential on the harder levels.

I'd argue Turok is worse on this front.

This is a real proof that you're trolling. No FPS released at the time had animation has good as Goldeneye 007 (except maybe Turok). You have guards rolling out of the way, grabbing their crotch when shot in the dick, all sorts of crazy shit.

Goldeneye was pretty much the first FPS that wasn't a complete Doom clone.

Yes it has a stealth system, and it works. It is the first FPS with a proper stealth system to boot. Play Bunker 2 on 00 Agent and tell me that there is no stealth system.

>> No.960573

>>960561
"body part system" too bad the aiming is so bad that you cant really use for anything, everyone played with auto aim

"stupid ai is good because learning to exploit it is a skill" Tricking the guards into not actually fighting back by exploiting ai flaws isn't good level design

"turok is worst" both are shit

"golden eye was the first fps that wasn't a doom clone" thats half-life

>> No.960595

>>953023
>>953037
These guys get it. I can play goldeneye perfectly fine, while I stuggle playing modern shooters on dual analogs, I'd rather stick to keyboard and mouse on those.

>> No.960598

>>960573
>"body part system" too bad the aiming is so bad that you cant really use for anything, everyone played with auto aim

There is no auto-aim on 00 Agent mode. Learn to play scrub.

>"stupid ai is good because learning to exploit it is a skill" Tricking the guards into not actually fighting back by exploiting ai flaws isn't good level design

Practically every game requires AI exploits to play at a high level. Usually those AI exploits are very chaotic. It's just more mechanically constrained in Goldeneye. The AI follow certain rules very reliably, which is mechanically a good thing. Knowing those rules is essential.

>"turok is worst" both are shit
And both aren't that bad with some practice.

>"golden eye was the first fps that wasn't a doom clone" thats half-life

Half Life is far more like Doom than Goldeneye. Hell, Half Life was created on a modified. Quake engine. Half Life is a slightly slower paced Quake (and Quake was a Doom clone) with a storyline and properly sequenced levels. Goldeneye is free-roaming Virtua Cop with Super Mario 64-style objectives.

>> No.960606

>>960598
>Goldeneye is free-roaming Virtua Cop with Super Mario 64-style objectives.
I never thought about it like that.

>> No.960609

I've always thought Goldneye was shit.
Back in the days I was a teenager and like most teenagers, a poorfag, so a friend and myself used to put money together to buy consoles and games together.

We sold tons of games and a console to buy a N64 and this game.... the game was so bad it gave us laughters: but the kind of yellow laughters were at the same time you feel terrible because you think of what a bad use of precious money it was.

>> No.960628

>>952932
Although it was the first FPS I played ever, once I discovered Quake on 64, there was no other FPS on the console market that could top it before Quake III Arena on Dreamcast. but then Unreal Tournament for Dreamcast came out and I learned about giving both games time.

>> No.960631

>>960606
I'm not pulling that out of my ass either. My source is developer interviews. That's literally what they said it was.

>> No.960751

>>960598
once you learn where the objectives are golden eye becomes completly linear

if you dont know where the objectives sometimes you have to back track

>> No.960770

>>960631
>implying what the developer says matter
golden-eye is half-life with crappy aiming and turning and a few objectives that involve going up to an object and throwing an item on it or shooting it

>> No.960809

is there a guide for getting the n64+golden eye to work with a mouse and keyboard?

>> No.961695

>>960598

>Half Life is far more like Doom than Goldeneye

Half-life had one continuous world, Goldeneye had levels. In games like Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior, you still had to do things like get a generator running or find a repair kit to fix a tank and use it to blow up a wall, they just aren't blatantly labeled as "objectives" like in Goldeneye. Goldeneye is more Doomlike than Half-life, it just also has shittier controls.

>> No.961743

>Criticizing GOLDEN EYE 007 64
Aw come on /vr/, you can't be that edgy. This game is pure gold and you know it.

>> No.961754

>>961695
Errr...Half Life was one of the first FPS games with a continuous world. That was the game's gimmick.

If you're going to go down this road, Doom and Quake were literally a bunch of mazes thrown into different chapters. Goldeneye's levels may not have been continuous, but at least they followed a general plot.

This is of course, irrelevant, because it's about game mechanics, not storylines. And Half Life is considerably more like Quake in terms of game mechanics. As I say again, it's on the same bloody engine as Quake.

>> No.961772

>>961754

>And Half Life is considerably more like Quake in terms of game mechanics

What, being able to aim?

>> No.961815

>>961772
Game physics, jumping puzzles, monsters with similar abilities, hitboxes and objectives (i.e. get to the end of the level/chapter).

>> No.961836

>>953101
> Go after all gold medals in Goldeneye and then unlock all the weapons and gear, and tell me that those other games are as rewarding and satisfying.
God, going after achievements isn't deep or rewarding gameplay, it's just playing the same shit over and over again.

I like Goldeneye, or at least did when it was new, but this "BUT THERE ARE ACHIEVEMENTS!" bullshit has to stop.

>> No.961841

>>961754

>Doom and Quake were literally a bunch of mazes thrown into different chapters. Goldeneye's levels may not have been continuous, but at least they followed a general plot.

I'm wondering if you've ever played any other FPS game from the 90s. Quake is about traveling through slipgates into alternate dimensions to defeat the army of Quake, so levels take place in different areas but it is explained with a plot.

In Duke Nukem 3D you begin in Hollywood, start clearing out the aliens, then get trapped and end up in a prison that you have to break out of, you escape in a submarine and end up in a toxic waste dump where you find and defeat the Battlelord who was leading the attack on the city, and then take a rocket ship to the moon where the next set of levels takes place.

In Blood, you rise from your grave and find your way to a train station, hop on a train, which crashes into a carnival, in which you find a pool of water that leads you to a temple, and inside is an altar where you find the boss of the episode has murdered the protagonist's love interest

In Shadow Warrior you begin in your house, find a railway station and hop on a train, which crashes by a construction yard, in which you have to activate a drill to open a hole to the next level which is the home of your martial arts teacher who you were trying to find

These games have continuous levels and even have more of a story than Goldeneye does, with full voice acting and CGI cutscenes. Goldeneye's not that different from these games, the main difference is its terrible controls and shitty framerate, and how it tells you everything's an objective instead of just having you do it.

>> No.961842

>>961836
As I say every time the subject comes up...

Achievements are for people who get gold stars for not shitting their pants.

>> No.961848

>>953258
Did you just call Goldeneye less linear than Doom? Is that the word you meant to use? I'm trying not to be mean, though I'm tempted. I really don't think that's the word you meant to use, or you don't actually know anything about Doom.

>> No.961874

>>953747
You are mistaken.

>> No.961897

>>958280
Yes I can.

>> No.961920

golden eye is unique experience that had never been done before.

it combined mission objectives, extensive storyline, stunning animations, strategic combat, reflex testing aiming skills, and multi-player all in one

its as much an rpg as it is a shooter because its so atmispheric and the story telling was done so well

its also one of the earliest stealth games and introduced new elements to fps such as keys to open doors, huge gun variety, and varied levels

before golden eye all shooters just used the same few tiles to repeat levels over and over, cutscenes were nonexistant except for brief scenes at the end of game, aiming was also done entirly auto-matic like doom

its easy enough for new players to get into but the higher difficulties are some of the most challening moments ever conceived in video games

the multi-player is perfectly balanced and contains so much depth it would take years to master

it defined an entire generation of gaming is one of the most influential games ever created. its been on the list of game's informers top 100 games every year and countless other independent lists

it easily ranks up in the top 3 video games alongside such classics as super mario 64 and final fantasy 7

>> No.961935

>>959651
Doom 64 isn't a port. Because you don't know this, I'm guessing you actually never played it. Which would explain how you also don't know it did not suck cock, it was a solid game with some elements that actually set it apart from other Doom games in an enjoyable way.

It's better than Doom 3 for sure.

>> No.961968

>>961920
This is bait, guys. You have to realize that. If you respond in earnest, you have a serious problem and need help.

>> No.962027

>>961920
>and the story telling was done so well
I literally have never read any of the mission briefings and I've been playing the game on and off for over 10 years.

>> No.962046

>>952932
>Hey guys I just played this 15 year old 3D game for the first time and it's not as good as you said it was!!

>> No.962071

>>962046

I've played even older FPS games for the first time recently and they're even better than I've heard. Goldeneye didn't "age badly" it was just never good.

>> No.962218

>>961841
I never said Goldeneye was the first FPS game to have a continuous storyline. My point was that it wasn't ridiculously an excuse for shooting like Doom or Quake.

>> No.962289

>it wasn't ridiculously an excuse for shooting like Doom or Quake.

What do you think any video game is? The plot is there to give context to the gameplay

Doom: You're a space marine who's been sent to Mars as punishment for attacking a superior officer after they performed a war crime. Research and experiments involving teleportation occur on this Mars base, and due to a malfunction, alien life forms have flooded in through the warp gates and murdered everybody except the player character who has to fight through the alien horde to keep them from invading and destroying the earth

Quake: Like in DOOM, the player's faction had been experimenting with cross-dimensional teleportation, in this case developing a device called a slipgate to send the player character Ranger into different dimensions in order to destroy the leader of an enemy army, codenamed Quake

Goldeneye: You're James Bond and you shoot people because you're a secret agent and you loosely follow the plot of the Goldeneye movie

>> No.962303

>>956637
>no trigger discipline

>> No.962357

>>962289
This is going off course, I said earlier the plot doesn't matter. The argument was that Goldeneye was the first FPS that wasn't a total Doom clone

>> No.963160
File: 27 KB, 250x346, System_Shock_1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>962357

>The argument was that Goldeneye was the first FPS that wasn't a total Doom clone

Is there any angle left for you to argue from?

>> No.963340

Despite the fact that I loved this game to death when it came out and for years afterwards, Perfect Dark was a very good substitute and eventual replacement. I will always remember it fondly as the game that got me interested in console multiplayer deathmatch games, but I actually just traded it in to e-starland because I had no played it in years.

>> No.966002

>>953842
Where I grew up, only like 2 or 3 people owned a ps1. everyone was pretty much n64.

>> No.967338

>>952932
>game was wildly successful, sold more than Halo did
>act surprised when it gets rated highly
also criticizing the controls when they were customizable and were frequently set to mimic other N64 FPS games is pretty silly.

Lastly, comparing a FPS designed to function exclusively in a console environment to FPS games designed to function exclusively to a PC environment is retarded as well.

>> No.967381

>>963160
System Shock is a weird example, since it was a continuation from the Ultima: Underworld gameplay template.

For example - there are no friendly NPCs in System Shock.

>> No.967410

>>953258
Doom and Quake have pretty non-linear level design. I honestly can't remember how linear half life was because I played it at a time when I didn't notice those things.

>> No.967423

>>967410
>Doom and Quake have pretty non-linear level design.
That's a fair point. However, the downside to this way the maze-like level design - which could be incredibly confusing. And there was usually only one way you could actually go in Doom, unless you were cheating somehow.

I think the problem with linear level design lies with mappers trying to make maps which more closely resemble real world environments. One way of doing this is to create a very controlled slice of level, consisting of some branching corridors.

>> No.967439

I'm pretty sure it's more a product of it's time. Also, if you look up the dev history, Nintendo thought the game's multiplayer was shit and stopped funding the project halfway through, they had to fight to get the game released, then fight again to put the multiplayer in. If you want to play a first person shooter that sums up that awkward period in consoles with blocky graphics and whatnot, this one or perfect dark are good options. If you want to play a great fps however and don't give two shits about any history or prestige behind the game, then it blows.

>> No.967453

>>967439
>Nintendo thought the game's multiplayer was shit
What? Goldeneye didn't even HAVE multiplayer at any point in development before Steve Ellis decided to add it as a technical challenge.

Goldeneye flopped badly at E3. Everyone thought the game was going to suck balls. But then the finished game came out, and people were blown away. Yes, even people who'd played all the PC FPS games at the time.

Goldeneye was a very interesting new direction for the genre. It slowed the pace right down, and made combat less about twitch reflexes and more about strategy.

>> No.967512

>>960195
There was nothing on PC that played like Goldeneye. All this "it was only good if you only played consoles" is revisionist bullshit. It was an important game with a lot of neat features and of course some flaws.

>> No.967514

>>960304
>All in all, every innovation it made was trounced and improved on a year later by Half-Life.

That's not true in the slightest. Half-Life has, like, none of Goldeneye's features. It's good in entirely different ways.

>> No.967523

>>960304
>The missions you do are exceedingly vague and stupid unless you know exactly where to go and what to do for them
This was a slight design problem. Perfect Dark drastically improved upon it by having voice acting and voiced NPCs ingame - as well as allowing you to read the briefings while on a mission.

The alternative is handholding and massive arrows telling you where to go.

>> No.967524

4 player Goldeneye long weekends with my friends was the most fun I ever had gaming. Nothing quite like multiplayer in a room with your bros.

>> No.967529

>>961848
It's weird trying to compare Goldeneye and Doom maps, totally different design philosophies. Some Goldeneye maps are more nonlinear because you have maps like Surface or Frigate where you can just wander around and do things in any order. But then you have stuff like Silo where it's pretty much one long corridor.

>> No.967552

>>967523
I would say that PD is actually worse in that regard in some missions. The Air Base mission where you have to access the computer doesn't give you any clues about where you're supposed to go or put items. I don't think either game is THAT bad, though, people are mostly just lazy and don't experiment.

>> No.967550

>>967529
There is a good reason for the weird conflict among Goldeneye's maps. Some of them were mostly completed while Goldeneye was still a rail shooter. Silo and Facility, for example.

Facility was somewhat modified, though, with some extra hallways added to make the map feel more natural.

Later maps were designed to be more open. Frigate is a good example, and even Cradle.

>> No.967558

>>967529
>Frigate

Frigate is a pretty cool level for 1997. A fairly realistic recreation of a ship with free reign over the entire layout and multiple objectives to complete. Kinda like a prototype for how Rainbow Six missions would be set up.

>> No.967829

>>967338

>Lastly, comparing a FPS designed to function exclusively in a console environment to FPS games designed to function exclusively to a PC environment is retarded as well.

Shut the fuck up. A game is a game. I don't care what platform I'm playing the game on, I expect it to be good. If they couldn't make a good FPS on the n64, they shouldn't have made it for the n64. I'm not going to give it extra points just because they PURPOSELY made a stupid design choice. It still has to be compared to PC FPS.

>> No.967831
File: 28 KB, 120x149, 1265507509933.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>967453

>It slowed the pace right down, and made combat less about twitch reflexes and more about strategy.

If you're trying to tell me games that have twitch shooting don't have strategy, I'll have to assume you don't play FPS games.

>> No.967853

I didn't play Goldeneye until I was 13, and I never liked it. This game is still considered great mainly due to nostalgia, no doubt. The multiplayer was okay, but defiantly nothing amazing

>> No.967876

>>967831
I said less about twitch and more about strategy. They're not mutually exclusive.

In Perfect Dark\Goldeneye, you won't win by having twitch reflexes. You'll win by leaning around corners and shutting doors to create cover and ambushes.

>> No.967881

>>967853
>The multiplayer was okay, but defiantly nothing amazing
The multiplayer was tacked on. Multiplayer is for losers, anyway. Games should be about singleplayer.

>> No.967889

I definitely think the game is overrated. Especially the multiplayer. But it is by no means a bad game.

I like the objective based levels it had. And it doesn't guide you like most FPSs do that have a similar set up. It just tells you your objective, then you have to figure out how to do it.

And increasing the difficulty increased the number of objectives, which is a pretty nice touch. And it made you feel more like James Bond.

The graphics were actually pretty damn good for its time. And how could you say there are no animations? The death animations for the enemies were rad, and pretty well detailed.

And the game was indeed slower than stuff like Doom or Quake. The game wasn't about running and jumping around like a madman, it was about being badass James Bond, and it pulled it off pretty well. It would have been completely nonsensical if it was like Doom or Quake. I don't recall James Bond ever rocket jumping his way to victory.

>> No.967908

>>967829
Why does only GoldenEye get the treatment and not the plethora of other FPS games on the N64, then? It sure wasn't the only one, and it sure as hell wasn't the worst of the bunch by a long shot.

I can enjoy both a game like GoldenEye and PC FPS fine, and that comes with the knowledge that GoldenEye was built ENTIRELY with the controller in mind and was designed to work with the limitations of an analog stick rather than just attempt to copypaste PC controls onto analog sticks like most console FPS do nowadays. I hold the same opinion on Perfect Dark and the TimeSplitters series. They all were designed with the limitations of analog stick aiming in mind rather than just brute-forcing the controls onto dual sticks.

>> No.967948

>>967524
The sheer variety of weapon-sets, multiplayer levels, gamemodes, and characters made its pleasure virtually endless. And for those who had a GameShark, you had access to ANY weapons or levels you wanted.(i.e: playing Dam multi, or Streets).

Replayability in both single player and multiplayer was off the charts with this game. Some may say it's overrated, but I, strongly believe it deserves the praise it gets.

>> No.967962

>>967908

>Why does only GoldenEye get the treatment and not the plethora of other FPS games on the N64, then?

Because it's the one that's brought up the most and is most often called "the best FPS ever made" by Goldendrones who don't know video games. I also personally find Turok more interesting than Goldeneye, and it has a PC version.

> They all were designed with the limitations of analog stick aiming in mind

Right, and they throw in plenty of auto-aim to make up for it, but that doesn't make the controls less bad. The pace of the game is very slow, which no doubt is a result of the controller and their workaround to using it, so you're right that it's not like we're trying to play a fast-paced PC-style FPS game with controls that aren't conducive to it, but my problem is that the N64 controls don't even give you the basics of what I expect in FPS controls. Just the moving around and aiming and switching my weapons don't feel CORRECT.

The same thing happened with Halo. Halo fans will argue that "they DESIGNED it with a controller in mind, so it's GOOD" not realizing that all the controller limitation did was give them less options in how to make the gameplay and make the game feel a lot worse than it should have. Limitations aren't always good things, and they definitely don't excuse weak parts of a game if they chose to have those limitations on purpose. That's just being a bad developer.

>> No.967971

>>960561
>This is a real proof that you're trolling. No FPS released at the time had animation has good as Goldeneye 007 (except maybe Turok). You have guards rolling out of the way, grabbing their crotch when shot in the dick, all sorts of crazy shit.
Come on, no mention of when you shoot a guy in the ass? That's my favorite animation of the game.

>> No.967974

just use a mouse hack for project64 and enjoy goldeneye.

>> No.967976

>>967962
>Right, and they throw in plenty of auto-aim to make up for it
You're forgetting that the 2 lower difficulties are more or less "training mode".

00 Agent\Perfect Agent is the ideal way to play the game, and it disables auto aim.

Also, you're forgetting the default tank controls are not considered the ideal control scheme.

>> No.967991

Almost every single valid complaint about Goldeneye was fixed in Perfect Dark. PD even has one of the best weapon\fire mode selection systems ever made.

But even with Goldeneye, scrolling back and forward through weapons using A and A+Z is okay. And you can pause the game to pick a weapon from your inventory, as well.

>> No.968015
File: 5 KB, 251x240, charlton heston laugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>967991

>you can pause the game to pick a weapon from your inventory

>> No.968019

>>967991

So what is the big issue here? Are the people complaining about Goldeneye morons or something? Or are they trying to make their problems with the game valid critique?

I deduct that this is the same as the Sonic CD dilemma. A lot of people think the game is shit because of the level design.

>It hasn't aged well compared to newer shooters.
Well gee wiz, I wonder why. It came out in 1997.

If you're going to play old games and then call them stupid and unplayable instead of rationalizing that people had very crude methods of trying new things then maybe you shouldn't play old stuff. Gamer entitlement has gotten so out of hand today that people are mad about games that they don't even have fond memories for. This shit was cutting edge when it came out.

and oh yeah, get off my lawn

>> No.968020

>>968015
>>you can pause the game to pick a weapon from your inventory
Funny how Deus Ex: GAME OF THE CENTURY OH MY GOD IT'S SO BASED also allows you to pause the game to select weapons from your inventory.

It's a sight better than the clusterfuck system Half Life uses.

>> No.968037

>>968019

>Well gee wiz, I wonder why. It came out in 1997.

But there's games that came out before that are still better than modern shooters.

>>968020

>It's a sight better than the clusterfuck system Half Life uses.

You mean that one that lets you quickly and cleanly access all of your weapons without pausing the game or cycling through them in order for 30 seconds?

>> No.968040

>>968019
It hasn't aged well compared to older shooters, either. Or contemporary shooters, for that matter. Blame the fact that the N64 was a complete toaster by 1997 standards.

>MUH ENTITLEMENT
>>>/v/

>> No.968042

>>968037
>>It's a sight better than the clusterfuck system Half Life uses.
>You mean that one that lets you quickly and cleanly access all of your weapons without pausing the game or cycling through them in order for 30 seconds?
Yep, because Perfect Dark's one is a glorious radial menu.

>> No.968046

>>968040
>Blame the fact that the N64 was a complete toaster by 1997 standards.
It was one of the most powerful pieces of consumer computer hardware around. And it was the most powerful console.

>> No.968052

>>968046

>goldeneye runs at 15 frames per second

So strong

>> No.968056

>>967991
"PD even has one of the best weapon\fire mode selection systems ever made"
It was pretty neat but compared to the unreal games it leaves ALOT to be desired

many of the 2ndary modes were just boring pistol whips

lots of them had one mode that was the only one worth using (the phoenix, the skedar pistol for instance, the k7 avenger, shot gun)

lots of the 2ndary modes were pathetically situanel (the dragon), some of them were just plain boring (that one blue alien assault rifle)

compare this with unreal where every weapon had good primary and 2ndary fires

dont forget that perfect dark's 2ndary mode was ackward to use (having a butten to change mode rather than each fire mode being its own butten)

and the weapon selecting system was awful. Navigating the weapon menu in real time is alot slower than just using scroll wheel or the # keys.

>> No.968061

>>968019
"this was cutting edge when it came out"
no it wasn't
it came out around the same time as unreal which was much more graphically impressive than golden eye.

>> No.968063

>>968056

Blood and Shadow Warrior also had great alt fire modes

>> No.968069

>>968056
>many of the 2ndary modes were just boring pistol whips
Only one pistol was capable of whipping. The Falcon 2. Which came in 3 variations.

>>968056
>just plain boring (that one blue alien assault rifle)
The ability to fire bullets through solid objects is boring?

>dont forget that perfect dark's 2ndary mode was ackward to use (having a butten to change mode rather than each fire mode being its own butten)
I never found it awkward. You can also change the fire modes by holding A, pressing Z, then selecting the mode from the radial.

>it came out around the same time as unreal which was much more graphically impressive than golden eye.
Not in terms of animation, and Goldeneye had some neat technical features Unreal didn't, IIRC - such as environmental mapping on glass.

>> No.968076

>>968056
>lots of them had one mode that was the only one worth using (the phoenix, the skedar pistol for instance, the k7 avenger, shot gun)
Not really.

The Phoenix explosive rounds are terrible at close range. The charged Mauler chews up ammo. The K7 avenger secondary fire... yea, that's best left on. And the double blast on the shotgun, once more, chews up ammo. It can put you at a disadvantage.

>> No.968080

>>968052
Goldeneye wasn't even designed for N64 hardware. It was designed for the SGI Workstation Rareware were given. They tested the game with a Sega Saturn controller.

When they got their hands on real N64 hardware, they discovered the texture memory issues, and had to rejig the game. That's why many of GE's textures are actually black and white, with a colour filter applied.

>> No.968085

>>968046
>this is what N64fags actually believe
1997 was the year of the Pentium 2 and the 3dfx Voodoo. By 1998, PCs had pretty much entered the 6th gen.

>> No.968094

>>968085
>1997 was the year of the Pentium 2 and the 3dfx Voodoo. By 1998, PCs had pretty much entered the 6th gen.
The N64 had a programmable processor-cum-GPU thingie, and it had cartridges which acted as SSDs.

The hardware is pretty fascinating. It has flaws, but overall its very powerful and very flexible. PC games focused on textures and poly counts. N64 games focused on special effects and lighting.

>> No.968108

>>968085
It's a bit hard to directly compare x86 Intel CPUs with 64 bit Silicon Graphics MIPS processors on things like clock speed. The architecture is just so different.

>> No.968120

>>968094
It's pretty obvious that PCs have long had an advantage when it comes to raw power. But until recently, PCs sometimes suffered from architecture limitations.

Think parallax scrolling - the NES could do it, but PCs could not. 5th gen consoles could do framebuffer-based visual effects long before they became practical on PC hardware.

There are certain advantages to designing games for the capabilities of a specific piece of hardware.

>> No.968132

>>968108
Almost nobody understands the capabilities of the Reality Signal Co-Processor. It runs at 62.5MHz, it handles audio and video, and SGI claimed it was powerful.

>> No.968157

>>968069
>Only one pistol was capable of whipping. The Falcon 2. Which came in 3 variations.
Also the DY357 and DY357-LX

>> No.968167

>>955019
>Using Gadgets
So you use items in the exact same fashion as guns, but they fufill your objective instead of killing things.
>Escorting
Plenty of points in Half-Life where you have to escort Scientists and Guards to unlock various doors. Not to mention all of the times where they're useful as help when you need to be healed or have backup, respectively.
>Non-Lethal Combat
Gordon's a fucking psycho, deal with it.

Everything in PD is laid out in order, save for that Plane Crash mission. There is no point in doing them out of order, as it ruins your score.
Everything comes back to killing dudes in the order they're presented, then heading to the exit to see your score.

>> No.968168

>>968157
>Also the DY357 and DY357-LX
Ah, so they did. My mistake.

>> No.968174

>>968061

Cutting edge for consoles, yeah

i think you've been dodging this the entire thread. 007 was a damn good valiant effort, enough said

>> No.968178

>>968167
>Everything in PD is laid out in order
Not true. Look at levels like Carrington Villa. Look at the very first mission. You've got multiple routes to move through the building.

Carrington Institute: Defense is not particularly linear, either. You can complete the objectives in a loose order.

>>968167
>So you use items in the exact same fashion as guns
No, that's wrong. Taking photographs of something with the cam-spy isn't the same. Using the Data Uplink to hack a taxi isn't the same.

>> No.968182

>>968167
>Everything comes back to killing dudes in the order they're presented
Except the AI have patrol routes, and you aren't forced to kill them.

>> No.968186

>>968167
You're forgetting Chicago is almost completely non-linear. You don't even HAVE to hack the Taxi if you don't want to. You can create a diversion with a bomb-spy.

You can also use the vents under the street to move around without being spotted.

>> No.968201
File: 113 KB, 801x603, blood mirror.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>968094

>special effects

Did Goldeneye have WORKING MIRRIORS?

>> No.968203

>>968167
>unlock various doors
That, right there, is my biggest problem with Half Life's design. The use of locked doors to control player movement.

>> No.968207

>>968201
Technically that's not a mirror, either.

>> No.968208
File: 65 KB, 320x240, Glide64_SUPER_MARIO_64_01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>968201
That's the same visual effect used in Mario 64, isn't it?

It's not an actual reflection. It's just a model duplicate.

>> No.968215

>>968201
Perfect Dark used duplicated models for floor reflections, such as furniture. But that comes with the whole cyberpunk fetish.

I remember feeling amused playing Resident Evil 5 and seeing a reflection on the floor which looked less convincing than the water pools in Perfect Dark.

>> No.968219
File: 64 KB, 320x240, BDF_RAIN.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>968201
And don't forget this classic example of model duplication.

>> No.968220

>>968178
I'll give you Carrington Villa, even if the "non-linear design" is more or less just two or three branches that lead to the same area. It only becomes sandbox-y on Perfect Agent.
First Mission, on the other hand, is using Elevators. Two Elevators. So different, man.
You pulled out the datalink from your inventory, right? You pressed the fire button, right?

>>968182
But why would you *not* kill them? You're a fucking trained assassin.

>>968186
Chicago was annoying as fuck level, but again, you are forced to head to the exact same location, not triggering the alarm, and enter the G5 Building.

>>968203
So you're saying that a linear game forces players down a path? Astonishing.
>inb4 BUT YOU SAID HALF-LIFE WAS LINEAR
No one ever said that.

>> No.968223

>>968220
>First Mission, on the other hand, is using Elevators. Two Elevators. So different, man.
And the stairs.

>But why would you *not* kill them? You're a fucking trained assassin.
Because they're human beings and they sometimes beg for mercy.

>> No.968228

>>968220
>Chicago was annoying as fuck level, but again, you are forced to head to the exact same location, not triggering the alarm, and enter the G5 Building.
Except that's the only objective which is set in stone. Every other objective has multiple routes and sometimes multiple means of completion.

>> No.968232
File: 1.77 MB, 300x174, BlessedLaugh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>968223
>Because they're human beings and they sometimes beg for mercy.

>> No.968241

>>968232
There are people in this world who play Perfect Dark and don't realise that some guards surrender and throw away their weapon because they're scared of you.

That's because players are conditioned to shoot everything which moves.

>> No.968245
File: 34 KB, 280x278, 1312562604384.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's not bad at all. The biggest problem I have with it now is the framerate. People play it now and don't get the big deal, but in 1997 when there was no internet and you had a bunch of friends come over to play this game, it was THE SHIT. There was nothing else like it on consoles.

Now people say Goldeneye has aged like shit and has horrible controls but love Perfect Dark even though it has the same mechanics. Perfect Dark is still the better game and more refined, but wat.

>> No.968251

>>968245
The framerate is pretty bad. However, it's worth noting the PAL versions of GE\PD are a bit smoother because Rareware put some extra work into them. (As an example, explosion behavior was fiddled with, and debugging stuff was stripped out of GE.)

Running in letterbox mode gives a wee bit of a boost, but the image quality drop isn't worth it, probably.

>> No.968270
File: 128 KB, 1024x768, quake1hmpjf[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>968245

>People play it now and don't get the big deal, but in 1997 when there was no internet and you had a bunch of friends come over to play this game, it was THE SHIT

Yeah, if you were a 5 year old who didn't know what other games existed or that games could be played via the internet, which also existed

>> No.968273

>>968270
Quake is not that great. It's like Doom 2.0, and it's not exactly remembered for having an interesting singleplayer experience.

>> No.968274
File: 410 KB, 415x438, goatface.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>968245

> in 1997 when there was no internet

>> No.968281

>>968270
>>968274
Fun fact - Rareware had ONE computer with an internet connection. This was in 2001.

>> No.968294
File: 8 KB, 259x194, 1371018707832.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>968270
>Yeah, if you were a 5 year old who didn't know what other games existed

so everybody that didn't have computers, internet, and magazines is a 5-year old. It could be possible that everybody wasn't struggling to keep up with the latest trends so they could impress you.

>>>/v/

>> No.968297

>>968294

Well you were either a 5 year old or you weren't really into video games, in which case you forfeit your argument and Goldeneye is now officially declared a shitty nostalgia game for babies.

>> No.968303

>>968294

>mom buys you a game
>you play it
>with no knowledge of other games, declare it the best game ever

>>>/cod/
>>>/halo/

>> No.968308

>>968303
>>mom buys you a game
>>you play it
>>with no knowledge of other games, declare it the best game ever

>>>/Final Fantasy 7/
>>>/Deus Ex/

>> No.968314

>>968308

FF7 yeah, but no mother bought their son Deus Ex

>> No.968320
File: 168 KB, 446x357, 1362038887125.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>968303
>>with no knowledge of other games, declare it the best game ever

Well that's all wrong, because I didn't declare Goldeneye anything.. besides a valiant console effort.

>>968297
>Goldeneye is now officially declared a shitty nostalgia game for babies.

>> No.968323

>>968314
>no mother bought their son Deus Ex
Not even the PS2 port?

>> No.968385

>>953037
>Superior to that of today's console FPS because you can aim with more precision
If by precision you mean the game essentially aiming for you, sure.

>> No.968460

>>968385

He means the precision aiming mode when you hold down Z (I think)

But it's hard to call that good when you can't even move while you're doing it

>> No.968473

>>968460
But Goldeneye has a dual analog control scheme. It's the 2.x ones that utilize two controllers, with the analog end in each hand.

That may or may not be what he's referring to but I find it crazy that so few people know about it. It's something Rare was trying to push for years until they finally coined it with Timesplitters. People thought the control scheme was crazy when that game came out.

>> No.968554
File: 49 KB, 638x396, 1249179807936.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Goldeneye was outdated years before it was released.

>> No.968569

>>956652
yea I played it and it was kinda fun but... it was relly laggy

>> No.968585

>>952932

I think the reason for it, is that it just has that "pick up and playability" most shooters have just never been able to land. Its one of those shooters that the casual gamer can pick up and blow though in a weekend.

>> No.969248

>>968174
>Cutting edge for consoles, yeah

>N64
>only cutting edge for consoles,

There's some serious revisionism going on about N64 hardware on /vr/. Probably due to the average poster being about 2 or 3 years old when the N64 was released.

The N64's GPU (the Reality Co-Processor, RCP) was more powerful than any consumer-grade PC GPU at the time of the console's release.

Sure, due to the crazy rapid advances in technology at the time (Moore's Law, double the transistors in 18 months) by the end of 1997 the GPU was alreayd a bit old-hat.

But in 1997 there wasn't much else on PC that competed with Goldeneye in the graphics stakes except for Quake 2, and unless you had a decked out 1997 system it looked a lot worse than Goldeneye with the graphics turned down.