[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 70 KB, 500x375, 88c1acf3c58d8e4231c163a1156e67df8ff083d36b9af5b27895043f89d7c9eb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9517337 No.9517337 [Reply] [Original]

Do you still like the (Team Silent) Silent Hill games, /vr/?

>> No.9517387
File: 361 KB, 2048x1736, FTYu7fXWAAE_avF.jpg_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9517337
I love them, SH1-3 are among my favorite games after I played them this year. I think SH4 is okay but definitely the worst of their games. Everything post SH4 may as well not exist.

>> No.9517445

>>9517387
>Everything post SH4 may as well not exist
Did you play any of them? I've repeatedly read that one or two of them aren't that bad, but I never actually bothered to check them out myself and I don't think I ever will.
And which one of the Team Silent games is your favorite one?

>> No.9517548

>>9517337
Half of them

>> No.9517649

>>9517548
Well, which?

>> No.9517721
File: 976 KB, 1000x1260, 99226394_p1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9517445
I have only played Origins and Shattered Memories and didn't really like either.

Origins:
Pros:
>decent attempt to recapture the feel of the originals
>good atmosphere in a few areas, keeps use of fixed camera angles but they're awkward in a few areas
>brings back outdoor exploration from SH1
>good ost, as expected from Yamaoka
Cons:
>over emphasis on physical combat, made way more annoying then it needs to be because weapons have durability and you can carry unlimited weapons, so if you want a specific weapon you literally have to menu across dozens of weapons you picked up before it
>core mechanic is you can enter and leave the otherworld whenever you wish, this leads to a lot of samey "explore normal world, enter otherworld and interact with something, go back and use the change to the real world to progress" situations. Also it just makes the existence of otherworld in general less memorable
>story is pretty terrible. The game simultaneously tries to do a retread of the lore seen in SH1 and have the protagonist experience his own SH2 journey of self realization and neither comes close to being good. The SH1 characters act nothing like they did in the original making their motives and dialogue awkward and Travis' own story is both very generic and not even executed well
Overall a 6/10, just above average to be notable I would say but lacks the memorable aspects of prior games. as a lorefag the way they recontextualize so many aspects of SH1, from the cast to the lore, really annoys the fuck out of me but that's a more personal problem.

>> No.9517738
File: 1.81 MB, 1000x1119, 99226394_p0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9517721
Shattered Memories:
Pros:
>looks great for a wii game, environments are well detailed and character models look mostly okay beside the faces I would say
>Yamaoka's last game for the series, not his greatest work but there's still some great tracks here
Cons:
>combat has been removed entirely, you have no means to defend yourself to any capacity. This could have been interesting if executed better but then this leads into the next major issue
>enemies only appear in scripted chase sequences. Not only do you spend most of the game with no tension since there's no danger, but even when enemies appear all you do is easily run away from them
>puzzles are terrible. A lot of them try too hard to incorporate the wiimote and feel more like playing some kind of dumb minigame then a thoughtful puzzle you have to think about
>exploration is weak, with no danger normally it's just you traversing linear layouts with little to do
>the "scares" are just from listening to voice messages of teenagers being retarded and putting themselves in dumb situations, they're not scary or even entertaining
>the game big appeal, the way it "psychoanalyzes" you, feels very cheap and literally punishes you for looking at things across the game. What you look at determines what kind of person your Harry is and you basically have "decent human being" and varying levels of him being a shitty person.
4/10. A lot of people seem to quite like this one and I just don't get it. It's not only essentially a walking sim, but a walking sim that punishes you for exploring by changing whatever outcome you may desire. I really don't get what people see in it but still recommend it, maybe you could get something more out of it.

>> No.9517742
File: 1.11 MB, 1000x1145, 99226394_p2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9517738
As for a favorite SH, it's hard to say. I would say it's between SH1 and SH3 for me, I love SH2 but it's the least fun to actually play I feel. Ultimately I might have to go with SH3. I like SH1's exploration, ambiguity, and puzzles better but as a game SH3 is way more tense and difficulty is much better balanced. SH3 feels like an actual survival horror game, resources are limited and you generally have to be careful in your use of ammo and health pickups.

I didn't think this would extend to a multipost reply, my autism for SH is pretty high.

>> No.9518758

>>9517742
>I love SH2 but it's the least fun to actually play
that's my opinion on 3, haha

>> No.9518792

>>9517649
1 and 4

>> No.9519086

Of course I do. They're my favorite horror games pretty much.

>> No.9519092

>>9517721
The music for the hotel level in Origins might honestly be some of Yamaoka's best SH work. It's just so cold and melancholic.

>> No.9519158

>>9517742
SH3 is the best survival horror game ever made (in my opinion)

>> No.9519385

>>9519086
same

>> No.9519413

>>9517337
Very much so.

>> No.9519830
File: 37 KB, 690x665, 1592528010840.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9517337
no.
>gameplay aged like shit.
literal running simulator, if you ever fight an enemy not only you're wasting time and the limited resources that you will need for the final boss, it's also useless and fucking tedious. the areas are huge and you can easily walk around them, plus you rarely have to revisit hubs or areas like resident evil to the point where having a place clearead makes any sort of impact. (this is at its worst in sh3). in the rare occasions where you need to fight it's clunky, unresponsive, and you can get stunlocked.
>story has become generic by proxy since other media has been doing similar stuff for over two decades now
>gamer girls have latched onto them

i'd say the best one is 4, as it is the most original and interesting in nowadays standards. but obviously i would never go through the hassle of actually playing it again, just remembering the subway level and the fact that you have to redo all the worlds in the second half of the game makes me wanna slit my throat.

overall: used to be a masterpiece, now it's overrated garbage. could've really used remakes or remasters to age better if it wasn't abandoned from konami. SH2 remake looks promising but i don't have high hopes.

>> No.9519851
File: 78 KB, 400x288, images.squarespace-cdn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9519830
>having a place clearead
also i don't wanna talk out of my ass but, if i remember correctly some of the games or at least some areas had respawning enemies which made combat even more useless.
by the way, that pic was just random cause it reminded me of the rabbit from sh3.

also HOT TAKE: original silent hill games would work way better today if reworked as visual novels or until dawn style choice games. this is because as i've said, the gameplay itself is trash and you only wanna play it for the story, but also, the horror genre in general is stale, and anything they can ever come up with is not going to be original. i predict SH2R is just gonna be a boring RE2R but without the campiness and silliness.

>> No.9519887

>>9517337
yes, but I recognize they are flawed games. having access to unlimited health supplies with no sort of in game delay or catch to using them is a pretty haphazard design choice, all challenge in the game being reduced to either absurdly spongy lategame bosses that will drain your entire built up supply(2 and 3) or cheap instakills 1. this is less of an issue in 1 but 2 and 3 both have a pretty out of whack fight/flight balance, outside of obvious funnel situations it's basically always in your best interest to ignore combat and just run, hoping you don't get caught up in attack animations, 3's combat especially feels like trying to kill a herd of cows by punching them with your fists.

>> No.9520667

>>9519830
>>9519851
>>9519830
>overall: used to be a masterpiece, now it's overrated garbage
Learn to think for yourself. If moment to moment gameplay is all you care about then you won't like any horror game, you just want the narrative so play a proper VN or adventure game.
>>9519887
No game gives you actual infinite supplies. SH is weird since there actually is some more sophisticated design mechanics in the series, they're just usually very easy to ignore. I would say SH3 did it best overall, supplies are more limited and the use of guns becomes more important. Enemies definitely become too spongey but overall I think SH3's extreme difficulties offer the most satisfying gameplay of the series.

>> No.9521053

>>9519830
>used to be a masterpiece, now it's overrated garbage
that's not how it works..

>> No.9521307

>>9521053
resident evil was a masterpiece and still remains such though, so what's the excuse for sh aging like shit? im not gonna say a game is good if someone playing it in 2022 wouldn't have a good time. he's not gonna have "muh memories and muh nostalgia" like me so let's be for real. it's just not a game i would recommend. it doesnt have anything to offer in 2022.

>> No.9521334

>>9521307
>im not gonna say a game is good if someone playing it in 2022 wouldn't have a good time
I think a horror fan with an open mind would have a good time with 1, I'd be more cautious with recommending 2 and 3 but the atmosphere is so strong that I think most people could stomach the janky game design.

>> No.9521929

>>9521307
i played it in 2022 for the first time and i had a good time

>> No.9521970

Played 1-4 upon release. For the longest time I would say that 2 was my personal favorite, while 3 was the the funnest to play, 4 was conceptually interesting but wasn't fun to play, and that 1 didn't age well.

These days I will say that 1 is the best overall because I understand the deep levels of nuance and meaning in its occult symbolism. An absolute masterclass of design.

>> No.9522768
File: 199 KB, 1913x2015, SHsProtagonistReaction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9517742
>I love SH2 but it's the least fun to actually play I feel.
Boring gameplay in SH2 was intentional in order to make the player feel depressed as the game protagonist. Yes gameplay is also important for emotional impacts in a game.
>as a game SH3 is way more tense and difficulty is much better balanced.
SH3 had harder gameplay combat instead to make the player want to avoid combat by feeling week and despaired as a confused teenager searching for her daddy who's also afraid to do harm to monsters that might be humans.
>I like SH1's exploration, ambiguity, and puzzles better but as a game SH3 is way more tense and difficulty is much better balanced.
In contrast to SH3, SH1 had a mad daddy looking for his daughter and ready to kill everything in his path to save her, SH1 had a lot of ammo to allow for that

>> No.9523318

>>9517387
>SH4 is okay but definitely the worst of their games. Everything post SH4 may as well not exist.
SH4 was not a Team Silent game and not even meant to be a SH game. Because Konami fired both the Designer and Writer that made both SH2 and SH3 great and told the new ones to make a different horror franchise and later on decided to change it to SH4. SH4 is only better when compared with the western SHs. SH4 got the best meele combat mechanics though.

>> No.9523717
File: 190 KB, 1080x1080, Fgvlwy7VIAEtoGW.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9523318
Anon, you got it all wrong.

The original project, Room 302, was always intended to be connected to Silent Hill. It more seems like the connections were going to be very loose though, rather then tie into previous games through the use of elements like Walter and the cult. The real reason it came out wonky was because after SH2 Konami forced Team Silent to develope both SH3 and SH4 simaltaneously. Because if this Team Silent essentially split into two teams, a lot of the more key members went to work on SH3 while the sort of "B-Team" of Team Silent did SH4. A lot of people who did smaller roles in SH1/2 were forced into majpr positions with SH4, resulting in the muddled execution.

>> No.9523774

>>9521307
> so what's the excuse for sh aging like shit
It didn’t. See how opinions work? The game hasn’t changed one byte since release; you have. If I wanted to be fair I’d assume SH games are so leaden with atmosphere and presentation that you’ll never experience that sense of dread again after a playthrough as things don’t change much. Resident Evil loses any cerebral sense of wonder after the first 20 mins and becomes and action horror, and does it well but there’s no underlying fear the environment is actively working against you; you’re just locked in a deadly funhouse.

> it doesnt have anything to offer in 2022.
Aside from some of the most impressive atmosphere and presentation ever produced in the industry. Anyone with any love for what video-games once were and had the potential to be before they got ruined by a lack of talent would appreciate SH1-4. Every /vr/ seems to have players recently catching up with the series, especially around Halloween, and have more positive things to say than negative and it makes me happy every time

>> No.9524401

>>9523717
So that's how konami started destroying the franchise. Thanks for clearing that up. There was an interview quote that the developer mentioned this though.
>It's certainly a dramatic change alright, but rumour has it that the game didn't even start life as a Silent Hill project. "That's actually the right information you have," Tsuboyama admits. "Originally this development was started from what we named Room 302, rather than Silent Hill, so the original concept wasn't from Silent Hill." Presumably that was to give the game a better chance commercially? He nods. "We started off with the title Room 302, but if the Silent Hill didn't exist then we still had the idea of Room 302. Without Silent Hill we didn't have this title, but because we did have Silent Hill we wanted to have something different, but it's kind of a mixture of ideas."

>> No.9524472
File: 1.01 MB, 640x358, silent-hill-silent-hill2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9523774
>The game hasn’t changed one byte since release; you have.
no way? popular culture did as well. shocking i know. you're just stating the obvious - not making me change my mind. someone who grew up watching blackface or blatant sexism in 60's movies is not gonna enjoy those movies now, and the movies didn't change one frame, the viewer did! so what? games don't exist in a vacuum. you have to account for everything else as well. stories with themes and plot twists similar to silent hill have been done and redone for over two decades now, if it had any novelty back then, it doesn't now. doesn't matter if it pioneered some aspects. playing those games feels like a chore in 2022, except maybe sh1. simply put, the game design has a lot of irredeemable flaws, and being used to quality of life changes that became common practice over the last two decades, it's not gonna play the same as it did 20 years ago.
>>9522768
biggest cope i've ever seen. i promise you that you don't owe konami shit, stop defending the multimillionare company's products like this. especially since they don't give a shit about the saga themselves.
>SH3 had harder gameplay combat instead to make the player want to avoid combat by feeling week
is that why they give you a submachine gun, a katana, a literal medieval giant morning star, etc? commit gifrel.
>boring gameplay in SH2 was intentional
lol, lmao

>> No.9524840

>>9524472
>playing those games feels like a chore in 2022
Played them this year and loved them, cope.
>is that why they give you a submachine gun, a katana, a literal medieval giant morning star, etc?
That just means you have options, not that you should use them constantly. You get ONE round of machine gun ammo, and physical weapons involve managing your stamina so as to not get fucked by other enemies in the area.

>> No.9525360

>>9524472
>someone who grew up watching blackface or blatant sexism in 60's movies is not gonna enjoy those movies now
are you retarded?

>> No.9525402
File: 51 KB, 500x500, 1555862944292.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I haven't played a single Silent Hill game and I have nothing to say on this subject.

>> No.9525409

>>9525402
based

>> No.9526781
File: 5 KB, 300x168, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9524472
>stories with themes and plot twists similar to silent hill have been done and redone for over two decades now
Others tried to copy SH success but they were only failed attempts though.
>playing those games feels like a chore in 2022
For dumbed down zoomers that would prefer a generic fps horror shooter.
>it's not gonna play the same as it did 20 years ago.
In comparison to forgotten horror games from 5 years back this 20 year old game have aged the best though. And 20 years from now people will probably still remember.
>stop defending the multimillionare company's products like this
>especially since they don't give a shit about the saga themselves.
You're mistaking Konami fans for Team Silent fans. The real developers that do give a shit. They developed at least 6 horror games to prove that counting the Siren franchise and that had nothing to do with Konami.
>is that why they give you a submachine gun, a katana, a literal medieval giant morning star, etc? commit gifrel.
SH3 give these weapons only as repayable easter eggs or at the ending of the game when Heather decides to get tough like her daddy. She got frightened at the beginning when Vicent told the monsters she killed might be humans but when she met Leonard Wolf she realizes that she doesn't care any longer.
>>boring gameplay in SH2 was intentional
>lol, lmao
This is also the ultimate zoomer filter. Boring gameplay is what you will get if you want to play as a depressive protagonist who can't have much fun and that's not a problem because SH2 fans praise the game mostly for the plot not the gameplay. I know zoomers will never get this
>>9525402
>I haven't played a single Silent Hill game and I have nothing to say on this subject.
Based. Zoomers should keep away from this franchise and stop complaining.

>> No.9527314

>>9524472
>someone who grew up watching blackface or blatant sexism in ...
Stopped reading right there.

>> No.9528429
File: 260 KB, 720x720, 02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9525402
>I haven't played a single Silent Hill game.

>> No.9529028

>>9521970
>These days I will say that 1 is the best overall
This SH1 should have been made to PS2 because PS1 limited the game full potential

>> No.9529053

>>9517738
Shattered Memories was solid 9/10 for the first run and one run ONLY. Played the PS2 version so that Wiimote crap didn't bother me at all.

>> No.9530029

>>9529053
Shattered Memories remains the best western version for who ever replayed the jap versions enough