[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 88 KB, 1453x970, C53A9CA2-E7F2-4BC2-92FB-380DE196FA40.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9501698 No.9501698 [Reply] [Original]

is it worth it to learn how to mess with electronics and software and coding to do retro gaming?

i keep seeing all sorts of cool mods and setups people are making and it takes a lot of work to get older emulators working right.

>> No.9501726

Yeah, definitely. Wherever there was a programming or electronic paradigm there was game development.
There’s always cottage industries to bring back old electronics to life. Imagine if vector CRTs made a comeback, or someone figured out a way to make old 2g/3g cellphones work on 5g networks.

>> No.9501751

>>9501698
If it was worth it you'd be doing it already instead of asking about it on a cambodian CRT shilling board.

>> No.9501754

>>9501698
OP, NEVER LISTEN to pieces of shit like >>9501751. If you're interested in it, it's worth pursuing. That anon is bitter because they have done the opposite. Do whatever makes you happy, and DO NOT HALF-ASS THINGS. Good luck!

>> No.9501892

>>9501698
Electronics knowledge and soldering skills are becoming a necessity if you want to maintain original hardware and don't have friends with technical knowledge nearby or don't want to pay an arm and a leg to ship it to some faggot to fix it for you.
For programming, all ODEs and complex mods use FPGAs, so learning how to program for them would probably allow you to make your own cool things. Haven't looked into it myself, but chip shortages are probably making it harder to get into than it otherwise would be.

>> No.9501898

>>9501698
If it's something you could see yourself enjoying it's well worth it. It's always good to gain useful skills.

>> No.9501909

>>9501698
I literally cannot comprehend your question "is it worth it"

What the fuck do you mean

I got into coding and tinkering with shit because it was FUN and I LOVED it. at no point did I ever go on a web forum and ask people to hold my hand and tell me if my interests were worth it.

that was 30 years ago, today I own a business based around the talents I developed doing this

>> No.9501913

i program just for fun. I don't even play /vr/ games any more

>> No.9501918

Seriously I just don't understand. What is going on. Do these people not have fathers? Did they never learn how to mess with shit on their own and figure out if they like doing something? What is going on. I don't understand why young people are this way today. Why can't they just pick up a thing, go "wow this is fun, I like this, I'm going to keep doing it some more" on their own. Why do they need to come here and beg for help telling them whether it's worth it to "get into NES games" or "get into programming" or whatever fucking inane topic. Why are they so afraid of doing literally ANYTHING without constant assurances and backpats and desperate reliance on third party validation of their apparently infinite free time?

inb3 they angrily report this post and this ip gets a 3-dayer because that seems to be the only endgame of /vr/ these days, even though everything I'm saying including this is a legit observation of the state of this board that needs to be addressed and corrected if this place is ever going to be worth anything again

>> No.9501941

>>9501698
Being able to fix most of your own things keeps you out of the reach of greedy people who only look to exploit you.

>> No.9501945

>>9501918
Why do you think there are so many dysfunctional, unhinged people currently? The lack of a father figure.

>> No.9502143

>>9501754
>ignore pessimistic incels

yeah i know

>> No.9502160

>>9501698
This picture does things for me both sexually and spiritually. You should get into soldering so you can share in this enlightenment.
Just start on stuff that you either don’t care about or is already broken, and expect a few slip ups along the way.

>> No.9502167

>>9502160
>This picture does things for me both sexually and spiritually.
This is most likely a serious post too...

>> No.9502273

>>9501918
>Do these people not have fathers?
Yes. And we worked in a farm together. Do you think third world country people living in a rural area had electronics all over the place, mate?

>> No.9502278

>>9501698
Just considering maintenance of old electronics that may fail any day and are no longer and will never again be produced:
At least learn soldering. The most basic kits are like $25 on Amazon. It's not as hard/scary as it looks.

>> No.9502284
File: 190 KB, 750x750, coolbaby-RS-69-3inch-handheld-game-console-8GB-built-in-2000-classic-game-console-Retro-games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501698
You can, but you don't really have to. Learning to solder and stuff is good if you're using og hardware, coding is more for stuff like homebrew, rom hacks, translations. But it's fine to just enjoy the games as well. Some people speedrun or do competitive gaming or just play casually. Plenty of different niches within the retro gaming world.

>> No.9503136

if you're collecting old electronics it's a good idea to have some basic ability to tool around with soldering and checking component values. Go buy a cheap iron and multimeter and fry an NES trying to HDMI mod it.