[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 14 KB, 167x302, images (14).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9491589 No.9491589 [Reply] [Original]

How are the non-localized fire emblem games compared to the rest of the games? Are any of them particularly worth playing or among the best in the series?

>> No.9491652

Genealogy and Thracia are the two best games in the series, yeah. Kind of wild that these games haven't been localized considering how fucking huge the franchise is nowadays.

>> No.9491738

>>9491589
HolyWar is probably the best FE, fast, no 5 minutes enemy turns, cool more masculine art and characters, big fields where you can really approach stuff your own way

>> No.9491753

>>9491738
Big fields of nothing, really. Most of each chapter is spent doing nothing but move all your units to the next targeted castle where a single big mob of enemies are stationed. Game needs some more action, like enemy ambushes and spawn points in forts you have to plug up.

>> No.9491883
File: 145 KB, 974x414, 22.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9491589
4 and 5 are great, 3 is pretty good, but 12 is legitimately excellent and having just played it recently I think it's a real shame its quality gets overshadowed by >Kris. From my notes:

Played on Maniac-Classic (H2 out of H4), on a fresh file - AKA no wifi content or full reclassing unlocked.
Started right off the back of replaying shadow dragon on H5... and holy FUCK am I glad I didn't select Lunatic difficulty instead. This mother fucker is HARD; I actually encountered multiple instances where finishing a chapter left me too mentally wiped to continue.

Anyway. I'm giving this an 8/10, but understand that it's generally actually a very solid 9/10; it's just that there's some bits of it that are so god damn rigid it's like you're playing advance wars instead. Incessant sets of same-turn reinforcements in near every other map that dump like 6 promoted units on you with such sheer damage output even your power fighters can't last more than one attack; a massive 8-chapter prologue that's so claustrophobic in size and so stringent in its expectations that you simply can't beat it without resetting each chapter 20 times over to get an exact read on how the AI behaves; enemy mobilization flags triggered by arbitrary obfuscated lines in the sand at the best of times, paired with maps so devilishly designed in their overlapping cross-crossing archer and mage ranges that even the most overpowered squad of fliers I've ever seen in a FE title get put in their place... it's a fucking lot, and you ALWAYS feel the pressure.

>> No.9491895
File: 3.84 MB, 1920x1080, db9sq5v-75a686c9-5ddf-40b2-8fa2-617fd1b08fb0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9491883
On the one hand, it's one of the most tightly crafted games I've ever seen, and particularly impressive coming off of Shadow Dragon's general careless smattering of cavaliers and knights to wing spear across a map; on the other, I don't think I've ever felt so much sheer contempt for the player in a first-party release, and it'd take a lot to convince me to go back anytime soon. And that's not even the extent of it, either; from the hole in your wallet that never once gets plugged, to the Arenas so backloaded and so rigged against you entering one is like having a dev spit directly in your eye, to an endgame that had me get trapped in a corner for half an unironic hour as I was forced to desperately dig myself out from under an avalanche of *50* fully fledged stat capped god damn dragons, there's just nothin' else like it.

And honestly? I didn't even fuckin' care about Chris. They're just a blank slate for the other characters to bounce off of, wholly inconsequential. Plus, their presence allows for a good hundred+ actual support conversations and a whole sideplot added alongside in 5 uniquely designed gaiden chapters; yeah, their hat-wearing antics are dumb, but it's an inconsequential sort of dumb. And in fact, all that content they bring - combined with the Fire Emblem BS remake content included and the sheer replayability afforded by having your nuts kicked in in with new and exciting intensity - has me honestly convinced this might be one of the most content-rich FE games out there.

>> No.9491898

>>9491895
That's 'bout it, I figure. If I *do* ever come back for lunatic, though - some notes for me.
-EXP is PLENTIFUL; by endgame you'll be forced to kill enemies with 20/20 units for lack of worthwhile trainees. Don't get obsessed.
-Money is SCARCE; if you want to arena abuse though, do it with multiple characters 5-6 times each. There's an obfuscated cap on how much it'll let you do; after x number of battles it'll secretly up the enemy scaling, until after ~10 wins or so you'll ONLY be matched with impossible battles against 0-damage generals, dracos and paladins. It'll be even worse on lunatic I'm sure - honestly best to ignore in full if you can manage, trying to brute force it ruined a good few days of my life.
-The game gives you plenty of vulns and basic weapons; don't buy any of the former, and be conservative with the latter...
-But even still, DO FORGE; you DO NOT NEED wing spears or armorslayers in this game, but a might/hitforged Dracospear'll do you good.
-And LOOK UP SPAWN LOCATIONS, TOO; for real, Anri's way and its 12-move wyvern spawns are asinine, and that moment in chapter 19 where approaching the seize zone causes 12 promoted paladins and horsemen to simultaneously spawn in a perfect circle around you is so awful it's comical.
-Make sure to keep at least ~2-3 rescue staff uses + the same number of renew uses for the last chapter; you get a second hammerne in the penultimate chapter, and WILL want to use it...
-And finally - if you want to raise alt characters (Est), reclassing to cleric honestly isn't a bad way to go. They'll keep most of the STR growth.

>> No.9491947

>>9491883
>>9491895
>>9491898
Nice paragraphs about a non retro game

>> No.9491953

>>9491947
It's a direct remake of a retro game, with identical map designs and near identical gameplay mechanics. I did forget what board I was on though, that's on me.

>> No.9491957

>>9491753
>Big fields of nothing, really. Most of each chapter is spent doing nothing but move all your units
Only the first chapter starts so slow you need multiple turns to get to the action. You sureyou played more than the first level?

>> No.9491961

>>949158
Berwick Saga
Not exactly Fire Emblem, but close enough (aka Kagakino) and it's fun as fuck, among the best SRPGs imho
Shame it's not even translated

>> No.9491998
File: 1.36 MB, 833x1475, FE5_Reinhardt_Artwork.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kaga maps still hold up, especially if you compare it with the modern titles.
Few issues however. The least apparent one, the FE games were pretty experimental in sense. That the games under Kaga-days played a bit different mechanically.
FE 2 is regarded as the black-sheep of the series for being this psuedo dungeon crawler hybrid. FE4 has its huge map. And FE5 goes for resource management and unit fatigue.

Then there's a lack of quality of life that feature games introduced. Such as automatic damage calculations and enemy movement area.

>> No.9492009

>>9491957
I've endured the whole game. It really doesn't get much better from there. At best, the mobs surrounding each castle just get bigger and you're still usually hiking between them with nothing going on in between.

>> No.9492715

>>9491953
>with identical map designs and near identical gameplay mechanics.

The weapon triangle being shoved in, lack of dismounting, and redesigned maps because dismounting doesn't exist, plus star shards working completely differently in a much less interesting way than originally designed makes me inclined to believe you have never play FE3 if you think this. I actually like FE12, but it barely resembles FE3. Radically different games.

Oh and the supports aren't anything special and characters like Michalis and Minerva are ruined because of what FE12 did to them. It's still a good game, but that aspect will always bother me as I know there are so many people that will only play FE11 and FE12 because they're the newest versions despite the radical differences.

>> No.9492717

>>9491998
>Then there's a lack of quality of life that feature games introduced. Such as automatic damage calculations and enemy movement area.
This is really minor all things considered.

>>9491961
There was a finished translation patch for Berwick Saga released recently.

>> No.9492849
File: 98 KB, 236x302, Shouzou_Kaga.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9491589
They're all worth playing out of curiosity because they're all fairly different, but not all of them are good.

First one feels barebones as expected, even if it has a decent amount of stuff for its time, and is extremely slow with annoying inventory management, but if you want to see how the series started, why not. Some broken stuff is fun to abuse.

Second one has trash maps, but at least it's different. idk, just give it a try and see if you like it, but I personally think it's average. Feels closer to a JRPG than to an actual SPRG.

Third one includes a remake of the first one which is more fun than the original imo. The new part is solid even if some early maps are a bit of a slog. Also has two of the best pegasus riders in the series which makes it very fun.

Fourth game is considered by some to be the best in the series and has a lot of unique stuff, though the huge maps can be an issue for some people. It's really an epic adventure worth playing at least once, and the best story in the franchise. Second best after Thracia imo.

Fifth one is my personal favorite and considered one of the best, it's fun as fuck with tons of cool mechanics, weapons and staves to use. Probably the best map design in the franchise too.

Sixth one is the first one made after Kaga, the creator of the series, left, and it shows. Barebones compared to the previous two. I actually prefer it to the other two GBA games because it's harder, but some maps can be tedious. Some get filtered by the low accuracy of your attacks but it's fine.

Also, play Tear Ring Saga and Berwick Saga, the games made by Kaga after he left IS. TRS is pretty much a FE game and it's better than most of the series, and BS is a contender for the title of best SPRG ever made imo, it's a masterpiece.

So if you're in a hurry, only play Genealogy, Thracia, TRS and BS, because they're very good. Then Mystery if you want more, and the first two games if you're curious, but don't expect much.

>> No.9492860

>>9492849
>Also has two of the best pegasus riders in the series which makes it very fun
Caeda and I assume Palla?

>So if you're in a hurry, only play Genealogy, Thracia, TRS and BS, because they're very good. Then Mystery if you want more, and the first two games if you're curious, but don't expect much.
I'm one of those weirdos that likes all of Kaga's games and went back to the NES games later on. But is Berwick Saga really that good? I've only played TRS but I always see people call BS a masterpiece.

>> No.9493284

>>9492860
Palla is an unbelievable monster in Mystery. Like almost to the point of gamebreaking.

>> No.9493383
File: 263 KB, 500x282, d01870f51aefec6e72f9fb591c9debd4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

4 is defintely worth playing, as its story ambitions and scope remains impressive to this day; However, I do feel Kagafags tend to give its gameplay an unfair pass when its frankly not very interesting. I applaud its experimentation and innovation; FE was still in a phase of figuring out just what kind of game it was; but a lot of mechanics in FE4 end up completely redundant or underused to the point you wonder why they are even there. The game hands you units in the very the first map that are capable of soloing the game for you, and it continues to do this over the course of the game. The maps are filled with enormous swathes of empty spaces where nothing happens. Guarding your castle may as well not exist as a mechanic for how little it actually comes into play. Foot soldiers are hilariously gimped compared to horse units and don't get nearly enough firepower to make up for the disrepancy or inconveniance of their low movement speed. There's very little real challenge going on with the AI; The tried and true "bait an enemy with your toughest unit" strategy still works 99% of the time.

Its unfortunate, but FE4 biggest problem is that outside of its stellar presentation and plot, the game itself is kind of a boring slog. Its hard to justify playing it more than once.

>> No.9493573

>>9493383
>the game itself is kind of a boring slog.
How aren't other FE games boring slogs?

>> No.9493784

>>9493573
Not /vr/ but I think Conquest is phenomenal as a tactics game; Honestly most FE games are basic bitch tactics once you "figure them out" or start playing more advanced games like XCOM

>> No.9494258

If all the Japanese only games were released in the west, you'd have people here talking about how the GBA games ruined and dumb downed FE

>> No.9494314

>>9494258
>dumb downed FE
Technically did

>> No.9494426

>>9494314
I know, but I see most people treat it as the real golden age
I mean, I don't hate them, but knowing how vitriolic people get when things deviate from their childhood comfort, it really reveals a bit

>> No.9495974

>>9494426
>>9494314
>>9494258
As a boomer who didn't start playing Fire Emblem until the 2020s that started with the SNES games, I was immensely disappointed with the GBA games and feel they are the only overrated games in the series. There's a reason Japan complained about them being simple for Americans compared to previous entries, but obviously Americans who grew up with these being their first entries won't feel that way.

>> No.9496103

>>9493383
>I applaud its experimentation and innovation; FE was still in a phase of figuring out just what kind of game it was;
Nah, that wasn't from "FE figuring itself out" that was from Kaga being a self-admitted hater of doing the same thing twice. FE got really formulaic once he left not because it was "figured out" but because the creative behind the series was gone and they didn't feel there was a need to constantly shake things up like he did.
>but a lot of mechanics in FE4 end up completely redundant or underused to the point you wonder why they are even there.
I disagree a lot, FE4 is one of the more mechanically sound games in the series.
>The game hands you units in the very the first map that are capable of soloing the game for you, and it continues to do this over the course of the game.
But that isn't easy to do and you have to really work for that outside of Lachesis and Leif due to their versatility. And even then, Hel tomes and siege tomes make that much more difficult than you'd think.
>The maps are filled with enormous swathes of empty spaces where nothing happens.
It's a macro-styled game. You obviously aren't going to have people attacking on every turn and have to think about where they're going to be multiple turns in advance. It's not like strategy games aren't filled with this all over the genre. I feel like the only people that complain about that only really play Fire Emblem.
>Guarding your castle may as well not exist as a mechanic for how little it actually comes into play.
Yeah, okay I agree with that. That's valid because it really doesn't matter for 95% of the game.

>> No.9496105

>>9496103
contuing from here

>>9493383
>Foot soldiers are hilariously gimped compared to horse units and don't get nearly enough firepower to make up for the disrepancy or inconveniance of their low movement speed.
Extremely disagree. This is one of those parrot phrases of the game that I don't understand how it caught on. From a casual perspective, most of your mounted units feel weaker than your foot units. I'm speaking as someone who has seen multiple people play through the game blind that all hated Noish and Alec while enjoying Lewyn and Ayra. Mounts are only objectively better if you play purely for LTCs, but if you play for rank foot soldiers are incredibly important. I genuinely believe this game gives more reason to use foot soldiers over most games in the series if I'm honest with you.
>There's very little real challenge going on with the AI; The tried and true "bait an enemy with your toughest unit" strategy still works 99% of the time.
This is literally every FE game besides maybe Thracia.

>> No.9497443

bump

>> No.9497839

>>9495974
You can tell Fire Emblem 7 was made for westerners when they threw in a self-insert avatar and a forced tutorial that explains all the mechanics. Same thing with the first Advance Wars.

>> No.9498262

>>9497839
Burgerlanders are retarded, who knew?

>> No.9498323

>>9498262
Released in the EU with the same features. What does this have to do with Americans?

>> No.9499260

>>9497839
And also a big titty nomad girl with a sword who strokes your ego (among other things) during cutscenes.

>> No.9500226

>>9496105
While I wouldn't say fe4 incentives you to use foot units over mounted like you seem to be saying here, saying all mounted units are better than foot units is just wrong like you said. As someone that dropped Alec and noish almost immediately and used lewyn/ayra as much as I could I agree, there are good units and there are bad units. More horse units are good units than not but that isn't to say foot units are all shit.

>> No.9500637

>>9491753
>>9492009
I did like how each map in 4 corresponded with a large region of the continental map. Every chapter is effectively a full regional campaign rather than an individual battle or skirmish which is kinda cool even if they don't 100% nail it.

>> No.9500783
File: 844 KB, 1600x1138, genealogy map.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9500637
I love Kaga's autism