[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 326 KB, 1200x630, sony-dvd-remote-for-playstation-2-ps2-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9457352 No.9457352 [Reply] [Original]

Can the PS2 DVD remote control put IR supported PS2 models into standby mode? I recently bought a slim PS2 and noticed the second generation official DVD remotes have a rest button on them. I can't see anything else this would be used for, but it would be nice to know if this is possible to do.

>> No.9457391

I imagine the reset button on the remote works the same way it does on the console? Press to reset, hold to power off (stand by)?

You can also softmod your console, which would add features like in-game reset and shutting off console via gamepad

>> No.9457827

>>9457391
This was what I thought, but I was hoping someone could confirm it. I was thinking about picking up the remote if you could put the system in standby mode with it. Thanks for telling me about the softmoding options. I'll keep that in mind

>> No.9458941

I am surprised no one has any insight into this question. I picked up the controller online, so I guess I could make a follow up thread in a few days answering it myself

>> No.9458995

where are you seeing 'rest'? are you just making a dumb joke about 'reset'? reset is the same as the power button on the console

>> No.9459015

i got one recently and it seems to be able to act just like a power button. it does the same stuff; press and hold, it goes to sleep. press it, it powers on or resets

>> No.9459540

>>9458995
I'm pretty sure that was a singular typo, anon. "rest" is a mere letter away from "reset," you see

>> No.9459648
File: 173 KB, 1000x1000, 657cbecfb93acb6b8896b483021b4e7c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9458995
I was a typo. My mistake.
>>9459015
Awesome! If this turns out to be true, it makes the purchase well worth it. Thanks for answering my question Anon. I really appreciate it. I am trying to pick up a lot of the weird oddities for PS2, before they skyrocket like everything else "retro". I am currently using my new slim PS2 as my bedroom DVD player and this feature will help out a lot. I am wondering if it will work while using PS2 games or if it's only supported while using the DVD player

>> No.9459662

>>9459648
It works like an IR controller regardless of application, note how there is every single button included on the remote.
By the way, if you softmod the ps2 you can also use it to play divx encoded movies (.avi files). Meaning you download shitton of movies and dump it on a flash drive and play movies off it. It's handy and I was pleasantly suprised to see that every modern release still gets .avi encoded versions on torrent trackers.

Obviously its not in HD and its a CRT novelty at best but it has its uses. App is called SMS player, it can also play music files, load subtitles automatically, change the font size, etc.

>> No.9459674

>>9459662
>It works like an IR controller regardless of application, note how there is every single button included on the remote.
From what I understand, this isn't 100% true, correct? I believe only analog supported games (or is it digital?) support you using the PlayStation remote control buttons like a PS controller in games.

Thanks for the other info about softmodding. All of that actually sounds really cool. The only softmodding I have ever done was the Wii and PS TV, but I assume it's much easier than that.

>> No.9459675

>>9459674
Its not the simplest process depending on the route you take. You need to get a specific game then do some swap disc niggerriggng to load a burned cd that installs the files on your memcard.

Or you can buy an already modded memcard for a few bucks and be done with it. It enables you to run burned copies, you can also run ps2 games off your pc by connecting your slim ps2 with your pc/router via regular LAN cable. You can also run PS1 games via emulation with varying levels of success. NES, SNES games too. On top of being able to load burned copies which I frankly dont see why would anyone want to do that because the network method is not only dead silent but also faster in loading.

You can also load ps2 games off a usb drive but its a less prefered method because due to PS2's USB speeds some video files can lag and load slower.

And you can use virtual memory cards that are stored on your PC via network or on your USB for every game that you play. Meaning practically endless data storage.

>> No.9459736

>>9457352
I have one from a long time ago but I can’t be fucked checking for you, sorry

>> No.9460301

>>9459675
>You need to get a specific game then do some swap disc niggerriggng to load a burned cd that installs the files on your memcard.
Pretty sure it's made obsolete by
https://github.com/CTurt/FreeDVDBoot
which works even with the last model that patched FreeMCBoot exploit.

>> No.9461408
File: 104 KB, 640x853, 1578240377627.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here. If this thread is still up by the time my PS2 remote comes in the mail, I'll reply giving a definitive answer on my own question

>> No.9462610

>>9461408
bump

>> No.9462648

>>9460301
Hijacking the thread but

I have the very latest PS2 version with a modchip and I got FMCB running. I can boot apps but I can't get them to show in the OSDSYS, I need to manually launch them through uLaunch. Which is fine until I foolishly exit whatever app and it takes me back to the ps2 browser (osdsys).

Can freedvdboot fix this for me or is it just for booting games?

>> No.9464178

OP here again. Looks like my remote is going to take a week or more to be shipping to my home. If this thread dies, I'll just make a new one. I am pretty sure the definitive answer is yes to my question, but I still want to see if it's possible for myself. I am curious if the PS2 was the first system to be able to turn on and off by remote. I can't think of any system that did this before the PS2. The Xbox DVD remote control doesn't have an on / off button, so I think PlayStation 2 might be the first to implement this feature.

>> No.9464561

>>9464178
>I am curious if the PS2 was the first system to be able to turn on and off by remote.
Of course it's not. Many "systems" had that feature before. If you're talking gaming systems have a look at CD-Is. Many did have a physically switched power button. However I know of at least one that could be powered on/off with the remote. There were dozens of models and many were meant to sit in your AV setup so I wouldn't be surprised if there were more.

>> No.9464636 [DELETED] 

>>9464561
I am talking about it being controlled by a remote. I would love some examples. I am not talking about physical switch

>> No.9464641
File: 44 KB, 500x634, tumblr_oykqv9IvzY1snhn1io1_r1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9464561
I am talking about a video game system being controlled by a remote. I would love some examples if you have any. I am not talking about physical switch on the back of the system that acts as a power button, but a remote controller

>> No.9464665

>>9464641
I know what you're talking about and I gave you an example.
>I know of at least one that could be powered on/off with the remote.

>> No.9464715

>>9462648
You need to add them manually to the OSDSYS using FMCB configurator

>> No.9464716

>>9464665
You said that, and didn't provide an example

>> No.9464787
File: 83 KB, 952x500, you are correct sir.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9464716
>You said that, and didn't spoon feed me any further