[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 82 KB, 642x504, 2-729_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
945426 No.945426 [Reply] [Original]

I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help me, but I guess if anyone would know, you guys would.

I've been trying to find the name of a large game collection sold around Windows 95 era. I think there were around 300 games on 2 discs. Many of the games were obviously geared toward young children, and the ones I actually enjoyed playing were generally shareware versions or demos. The only ones I can remember in the collection are Bad Toys 3D, Debris, Sean's 'something' (a dressed up MS Paint environment) and a sort of roleplaying/adventure/puzzle game where you flew around in a hot air balloon and used a currency called duckets(sp?)

In all my searching I only managed to find one random forum post on the web where some guy referenced the collection I'm talking about, but in no amount of detail. Obviously the collection wasn't the coolest thing, or very memorable in gaming, but it was petty damn cool when I was young, and I've been dying to nostalgia on it hard for a long time, and I fear the more time goes by, the more unlikely that will ever be possible.

pic related, the shareware version of Bad Toys 3D was one of the coolest games in the collection.

>> No.945467

Well, seeing as there's as many shareware/demo CDs made around that era as there are grains of sand, it'll be difficult to pinpoint which of them might be the specific one you had.

>> No.945483

I had a collection of shareware as a kid and it was called "The Museum of Games" or something like that

I remember Jazz Jackrabbit and Doom being on it, and I think a 1st person Bomberman maze type demo

>> No.945487

>>945483
I don't think there was anything as popular as Jazz or Doom on this one.

>> No.945514

>>945467
This.

>> No.945528

>>945467
>>945514
Well, telling me it's hopeless to even try is a waste of my time and yours, so thanks for nothing.

>> No.945535

>>945528
What do you expect? I'm sorry Anon, but there are a billion of these collections out there because all it took is some Russian with a burner and a printer.

Hell, I had about 20 of these things. I don't know if there is anyone out there cataloging these things, but if there are, it's not to make a fucking wiki detailing all of them.

>> No.945540

>>945535
Sigh, yeah you're probably right. Just pains me to have the incredible power of the internet actually fail at finding something obscure and lost to time Q_Q

>> No.945834

I might be wrong, but I think I may have had the very same collection. IIRC, it was called "1000 Games", or something like that.

>> No.947467

>>945535
http://cd.textfiles.com/directory.html

Google site search turns up Bad Toys 3D, Debris, and Sean's Magic Slate, but never all three on the same CD. Sorry, OP.

>> No.947523

No mentions of Galaxy of Games? Whatever, plebeians.

>> No.947581

I'm looking for a game
It's not retro, but fuck it
/v/ used to play it together
It was a weird game
You had this little guy that battles players and a big boss that appears
You don't control him, though
And you had to wait a while before your guy got a weapon
The strength and type of the weapon depended on the name of the guy
Each game you could have up to 3 guys
Also, after every game you had to wait like an hour before the next one would start up so that players could register their guys
Also, each players guys would be in a team so they couldn't attack eachother
Also, the boss that would appear changed depending on the number of players
I wanna say it had "weapon" in its name, but I'm not entirely sure
Also, did I mention it's a Japanese game?

>> No.947692

Oh man, I think I may have had this one too. Bad Toys 3D was definitely on it, at least, and it was 2 discs. I remember it having some shitty (primarily dark blue, I think) interface with the list of games... does that sound familiar? It might be in a box somewhere in this house but I have no idea where to start looking :(

>> No.947813

>>947692
Idk about the dark blue interface per se. I do remember what the operation was like. The left half of the window/screen was the scrollable list of games on the disc, the right half was an image preview of whichever one was selected. I know that's really generic sounding, but I feel like this specific collection stood out from the rest of the random ones.

>>947467
Appreciate the effort ^.^

>> No.948397

>>947813
You could also try looking around at this site, as it has lots of shareware/shovelware ISOs: http://archive.org/details/cdbbsarchive