[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 142 KB, 1024x768, final-fantasy-9-wallpaper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
943665 No.943665 [Reply] [Original]

Was talking to people about Final Fantasy 9 a few days ago. Thought I would pop it in and play it again (haven't beaten it since it came out in 1999). I forgot how amazingly they blended the battle system with the story. Like how Dagger has all her summons but you get never use them because of low MP. If I have to say one thing I don't like while playing again is the ATB bar is SLOW (even with battle speed max) and the trance can be really annoying since one hit at the wrong time can activate it just before a boss or if you want to steal which is a waste of the ability. I'm near disk 2 and since I forgot a lot of the minor things it almost feel like I'm replaying it and loving every moment even with those problems.

>> No.943737

Also I forgot about how annoying stealing is in this game...

>> No.943740
File: 303 KB, 891x1114, 1374731531327.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The game starts off awesome. It's charming, fun, the story is good and the characters are engaging without taking up too much time to explore...Then it all goes full retard mode...

>> No.943748

>>943740
What part are you talking about? When I played it back in 2000 I don't remember really being annoyed with the story. There was some silly parts but I felt after 7/8 we needed a RPG that was light and fun.

>> No.943767

>>943748
Play it again, man. About halfway through Disc 3, it becomes fetch quest after fetch quest, no character development, plot twists thrown in out of nowhere, and generally just stops being enjoyable. Discs 1 and 2 are extremely tight, the first half of Disc 3 is preddy good, but then it just drops in quality.

>> No.943771
File: 879 KB, 1680x1050, 1293148037254.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What I really like about FFIX is how the world is interactive and goes with the story. It's a story about life&death, the meaning of life, and continuing to live after a loss and the towns represent that perfectly for example when they struggle to protect them, and struggle to re-build them after they get destroyed.

simple thing that's generally unknown about FFIX is what the spirit stat affects and how important it is : http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Spirit_%28Stat%29

also btw if you're interested I found a rather easy way to beat Grand Dragons up Gizamulakue's Grotto at the start of Disk2 that's not in FAQs and Walkthroughs. This way you can get Zidane, Freya, Vivi and Quina to lvl up to any lvl you want very quickly.

Also did you know that there is a glitch which makes Marcus stats export to Eiko? So if you lvl him up when you can play as him at the start of Disk 2 for example Eiko will be stronger

>> No.943773
File: 107 KB, 500x368, 1343961201417.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>943737
...at least the more times you steal the better you get at it.

>> No.943779
File: 18 KB, 300x300, GargantuaFFIX.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>943737
>Also I forgot about how annoying stealing is in this game...

Hi!

>> No.943786

>>943771
I know that Spirit effects a lot in battle. I'm fine with not knowing about the Grand Dragons. Not because I'm not interested it's that I don't really play that way. I tend to not really grind that much since it's all based on abilities then levels in the end. At least from what I've remember.
>>943767
I am. I'm OP
I don't remember fetch quests after fetch quests but I should be there in a few days. At least if I'm annoyed I'll just play Hot and Cold. That always seem to cheer me up.

Also funny story. The first time I played FF9 I was able to win the card tournament without playing any game before hand. And ever since than I could never win another game.

>> No.943791

>>943779
I actually didn't have a problem with the fairy flute strangely enough. Took about 5 or so minutes when I first fought him. The holy spear however...

>> No.943795
File: 26 KB, 129x204, Hippaul2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I sure am a fat sack of shit.

>> No.943797

>>943771
The interactive world, and the ATEs, in addition to the inherently likable characters, are why FFIX is my favorite game of all time, despite a relatively weak third act to the plot.

>> No.943801

FF9 is slow paced, cliched and boring, but it's very well balanced by FF standards. I've only played FF5 to FF10, and all except 9 have major exploits that trivialize the game.

>> No.943809

>>943801
My only gripe is that you always wind up with half the party dangerously underleveled. To this day I have not had Freya break Lv20

>> No.943816
File: 610 KB, 1149x4315, garnet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>943809
The main problem isn't Freya but how you can't use Garnet and Steiner for the longest time during Disk2.

Steiner is a little made up for it when you can finally play as him again during the battle in Alexandria because he can get tons of exp against those crawling monsters invading the town (especially if you kill Beatrix), but Garnet isn't made up for it and THEN you don't even want to play as her when she's mute.

For this reason alone I always spend a little time grinding with them in the undergrounds of Treno at the start of disk2.

>> No.943825

>>943809
I tend to focus mostly on Zidane, Dagger (until she becomes a bit useless for a little bit then I use Eiko), Vivi (my favorite), and tend to use Quina or Freya. I normally love blue magic and Quina can get really powerful if you trained him/her. However since I never grind for dragons Freya's Dragon Crest is really weak. But since I try to steal once a battle Thievery is broken by the time I can use it.

>> No.943836

>>943816
I kept her name as Garnet too. The whole nickname thing only really comes into play on disk 1 and even then I didn't really see the point. Never really used Steiner. He's good don't get me wrong but Magic Sword uses both his and Vivi's MP and I'm not that big of a fan of his Sword Art.

>> No.943846

Freya us literally the most useful motherfucker in the game.

>> No.943890

>>943836
Her name should have switched back to Garnet when Zidane does its little speech comparing her to a garnet just before she cuts her hair

>> No.943901

>>943846
this. Plus freya is the only furry I can stand for

>> No.943915

>>943890
I agree. I understand the nickname but we should have had the option of naming her real name and just having the nickname they thought up as Dagger. It doesn't really make that much sense to name her Dagger because of that line.

>> No.944225
File: 49 KB, 640x480, 56464564.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One of the things I like most about IX is that it has the same kind of way of telling you about the world as Dark Souls.
Almost every single item has a description, trivia or just something unrelated written about them if you press select. Most of it is completely unrelated to what is happening in the plot but it's there to flesh out the world.

The (!) mechanic also works well since it allows the developers to put this kind of information on less than obvious places since the game tells you from the start to keep an eye out for (!).
ATE's also exists for this reason.
A world where every citizen has some useful information to tell you is not a living, breathing world.

>> No.944308

I was one of those people that bought every bradygames guide before I had internet. I still remember the frustration of the FFIX one.

My only real negative feeling about the game

>> No.944350

I'm currently in the process of playing it for the first time

The whole trance thing is my main issue with the game
The choice to make triggering it uncontrollable is fucking baffling to me, and makes the whole thing practically useless
99% of the time it triggers in a random battle, where I don't need it, and ends 1 turn later
The only time it actually came in handy was in the Zidane solo fight vs Black Waltz 1, where it only triggered because I spent 20 turns trying to steal from the fucker

Other than that, I like the rest of the game a lot so far
They do a really good job developing the characters (other than Quina, who seems totally out of place and completely pointless to the plot) and a great job setting up Brahne and Kuja as evil ass mother fuckers

On a side note, what's with the evil Alexandrian guards all being female, and the incompetent Knights of Pluto are all male?
On top of that, the queen rules Alexandria, her top general is female, and Kuja LOOKS like a woman

>> No.944359

>>943901
Never watched Swat Kats growing up, then?

>> No.944363

>>944350
They tried to tone down the fact that everyone relied so heavily on Limit breaks in VII and VIII. Especially to damage the superbosses. So they tried to make the game not rely on limits. As you can see, it didn't work out that well either. But there's still the fact that you never need to enter trance to deal enough damage.

>> No.944690

>>944350
>On a side note, what's with the evil Alexandrian guards all being female, and the incompetent Knights of Pluto are all male?
>On top of that, the queen rules Alexandria, her top general is female, and Kuja LOOKS like a woman

Grrl powa.

>> No.946251
File: 72 KB, 400x300, 1217613862807.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.946265

>>944690

>Kujua LOOKS like a woman

No, he looks like David Bowie + Gackt, which is androgynous at best.

>> No.946271

>>946265
No, he has birthing hips. He looks like a woman.

>> No.946272

Ehh, this was THE game I always wanted to finish since I was a poor kid.
I finished it last year... and it left a bit of a void, because it was just unsatisfying.

Must have been the lack of patience I had when grinding with the Yans.

>> No.946295

>>946271

Some men have wide hips like that. I know I do and I don't think I look feminine

>> No.946329

>that doujin where Zidaine gets sissified and dominated by Dagger
>then he becomes a trap prostitute, cumming under his clothes while getting fucked by grown men
>tfw forever into traps now

>> No.946376

>>946374
Yes. Yes it is.

>> No.946374

>>946329
Is that the one with Freya fucking his ass with her snout?

>> No.946392

>>946376
Wait, no it isn't. That's another one entirely. Oops.

>> No.946416

Borrowed a friend's PS1 to play this game once, but didn't get too far however.

Then I tried playing it via emulator, but I couldn't get the hang of it. SNES and N64 were so much easier to emulate. Fuck.

>> No.946429
File: 107 KB, 1152x1024, 1374122456429.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>943771
>easy way to beat Grand Dragons up Gizamulakue's Grotto at the start of Disk2 that's not in FAQs and Walkthroughs.
Let me know, you silly tease.

>> No.946432

>>944308
I 100% blame the playonline bullshit.

>> No.946434

>>946329
>sexualizing generic-looking monkeyboy
>not deliciously girly Kuja
The fuck you doing Japan?

>> No.946445

>>946429
I think it goes like this:

Get Limit Glove blue magic skill for Quina, you get it either from Axe Beaks (birds with a big beak) in Lindblum Plateau, or the Mandragoras in a forest near the first Chocobo Forest (they look like dancing plants with a grin on their face).

Limit Glove does extreme damage if Quina has 1 HP left.

Kill Quina, then revive with Phoenix Down, until you get him revived with 1 HP.

Go up from the Moogles in Gizamaluke, you'l find dragons up there who are very tough to beat at disc 1 / early 2.

I'd equip Quina and Vivi with Coral Bands to absorb Thundaga they cast.

Cast Liit Glove with Quina, it should do 9999 damage to the Dragon. Then try to kill it with Blizzara or melee attacks, it doesn't have much more than 10k hp.

Get crazy exp.

>> No.946470

>>946445
saved, good info.

>> No.946483

>>946445

Better way>

The dragons don't go into the wooded area around the entrance, and you get these birds instead. They give massive exp to help build you up fast before fighting the grand dragons, so level with them for a while.

Just be sure to save often

>> No.946852

>>946483
I tried that.

They Firaga'd my ass to a bucket of fried chicken and annihilated my party faster than I could keep them alive.

>> No.946920

>>946376
/vr/, killing my childhood one game at a time.

On topic, though FFIX is up there in my favorites list. The way each character grows and changes throughout the story is distinct, but subtle enough to seem completely natural. Also, that scene where Zidane gives up hope and all his friends come and tell him to stop being such a pussy 'cause they got his back still resonates with me today.

>> No.946979

>>946445
Grand Dragons have 3 attacks : a poison attack, Thundaga, and a single target melee attack.

You need to get the proper items to be imune the poison attack, that's the easiest part you should find those easily along your way.

But to be completely immune to Thundaga you need 4 of those Coral Rings; and although you can 1 win at the hunt in Treno in Disk1, you can only get the 3 others by a semi hidden way at the begining of disk2, hence why they're only "easily" beatable during the 2nd cat of Disk2 when you get back to Zidane's team rather than directly when you're "supposed" to meet them in disk1.
The 3 other Coral Rings can ge forged in Treno where Dagger & Steiner are at the very start of disk2. However to forge them you need items that you can buy by backtracking by foot to Dahli Village (that's the "semi hidden way", because you're not supposed to go there). Once that's done just make sure they're not equipped to Steiner Dagger and Marcus before the game switches back to Zidane&Co and by breaking the 4th wall you can use them against the Grand Dragons.

Then, the Grand Dragons will only be able to kill one of your party member at once with his single target attack; so with enough Phoenix Downs, you're set.

You can get help with Quina's Motherguard and other magics and to make it even better you can teach your characters the Exp+ ability; however it's only possible to teach them one character at a time at this step of the game (except for Steiner who can also learn it on his side) which is why it's quite long.

I reached lvl 50 and decided to go on; then pre programmed 2nd fight against Beatrix was ridiculous because the battle stops because she's supposedly too strong even though I ended the battle in one hit....

>> No.946981

>>946852
Grand Dragons don't have Firage, you're probably misunderstanding with the Flying bird-demons in the small forest just near the grand draons

>> No.947024

OP. Happy my thread lasted this long.

Just about to have Garnet (still refuse to call her Dagger) relearn her summon. I'm still trying to steal everything I can but man is it annoying AT BEST.

>> No.947079
File: 206 KB, 944x1025, Freya_Crescent_character.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Speaking of snouts, how the fuck is Freya's face supposed to look anything like an anthropomorphic rat's in the render art?

>> No.947108
File: 1.12 MB, 2181x3101, 1359779973732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>947079
A lot of the CGI work, including backgrounds and character renders, were done by people in Square's American division who based their work off the original concept art.

The picture on the top right is the original drawing by Toshiyuki Itahana, I can't remember who did the character renders, though. A person by the name of Jake Rowell seemed to work on the backgrounds, but he doesn't seem to have any character art in his portfolio.

>> No.947128
File: 74 KB, 424x550, FF9SGuide1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>944308
>>946432
oh hey guys whats up

>> No.947147
File: 61 KB, 500x336, tomb-gallows-at.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>947128
Hey, put on this blindfold, I've got a surprise for you...

>> No.947160

So...

How come nobody said anything about a six year old girl wearing a pink skin-tight form-fitting outfit that left everything but her pubic area to the imagination?

>> No.947172

>>947128
I'm just happy they went under and Enix had to step up to help them.

>> No.947238

I loved the game. I probably would love it a bit more if I didn't have OCD and need to steal items from every boss. Most bosses were extremely easy considering I needed to keep everyone alive long enough to steal the boss' items.

>> No.947495

>>946981
Exactly. The BIRDS fucked me up with Firaga, and I nope'd the fuck out and continued with the story as intended.

>> No.947557

It came out in 2000, not 1999.

>>943836
I use Dagger, until I get to that side-quest in Disc 4 and change it to that name.

>>947238
That sucks I guess. I love this game, but to enjoy it more I don't even try to steal every boss item, I don't do the jump rope and Hippaul quests, and I don't care too much about Tetra Master. It's useless anyway. FF VIII Triple Triad was better, but I wasn't a fan of it anyway. I ignored Card Queen (her quest sucks) and I got those rare cards like the ones you can get on fucking Lunatic Pandora with that girl later in the Ragnarok on Disc 4. I managed to eliminate Trabia rules and had just Open. Felt good man.

>> No.947560

>>947238
>OCD
>Final Fantasy IX

What's the point? It's physically impossible to get everything in the game.

>> No.947704
File: 2.43 MB, 270x270, of 100 nobles watching, 99 were impressed.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>947160
Because the game is grainy as shit without emulating it and were not pedos.

>> No.947708

>>947557
>It came out in 2000, not 1999.

What's your fucking point, dirty illiterate?

>> No.947715

>>947160
When I saw her render art in the player's guide, I honestly thought she was wearing nothing. I don't know why, but at the time I didn't think there was anything strange about it.

>> No.947743

>>947557
Sorry my fault. I thought I remember playing it in 1999.

So far I've spent a little too much time stealing. I know I shouldn't and while the items are good at that point that are that amazing to spend an hour stealing.

Outside the one mandatory card game I skipped it. I only played enough of 8's card game to get the cards I needed to refine to the magic I need. Outside that I really didn't care about the cards.

>> No.947751
File: 433 KB, 1354x772, FF9_Lani01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>947743
First time I played a tripple triad game I thought my game broke because that intro tune is just a long loop and every single card battle takes ages to load.

>> No.947829

>>944350
This guy here again...

What the fuck happened with the story at the beginning of Disc 3?
It's like they took the guy in charge of pacing, took him out back and shot him.
Disc 2 ends with a huge bang, and I was pumped for disc 3, but instead I got

Zidane is moping
Ruby is doing plaaaaays
Lets make Garnet the queeeeen
Eiko wrote a loooove letter, oh no, shenanigans follow!
Do you want to go to Treno for a caaaard battle tournament?

then

BAHAMUT AND ALEXANDER AND A GIANT EYEBALL SPACESHIP BLOWS UP A CITY

then

Oh noooooo Garnet can't taaaalk
We have to help the king not be a buuuuug

I feel like the game is mocking me with glimpses of fun and interesting plot developments
I want to gouge my eyes out
When does it get better

>> No.948409

>>947557
>that girl

funny how some people remember precise details about FF8's card game yet can't name one of the most important characters in the story

>> No.948501

>>947560
In a sense of getting everything I know about. I can't be OCD about missing something I didn't know existed.

>> No.948539

>>947829
It gets worse! Look forward to chasing Kuja in FF7 style just on the assumption that he might do something, the screen blacking out so you can get captured by goons, plus really getting to grips with how barren much of the world is, then entering classic FF deranged plot twist territory.

To compensate for the writing breakdown you're approaching a neat pair of novelty dungeons, then you'll get to pick your party members, visit some atmospheric locations including the best hidden town ever, unlock the airship and do your sidequesting. Bar the ending the best of the game is behind you.

>> No.948550

>>948539
I wouldn't say the whole game is bad after that. But it does feel the best parts are in the first 2 disks. I felt they could have kept the pacing going for all 4 disks but I guess they were scrapped for time or something so they just fell to basic FF ideas. I did however love the final boss fight.

>> No.948552

>>943665
>how amazingly they blended the battle system with the story
Seriously? It always takes me out of the story when I enter random encounters.
I don't really like the seperate battle thing that much.
I understand that it was necessary back in NES and SNES times,
but on the PS they would've been able to do something else.

Combat always annoyed me in FF games.

>> No.948568 [DELETED] 

>>948552
I was mostly talking about things like how Garnet has the summons but doesn't have the MP to summon them. Like she doesn't know she has them. And I don't know why but I was always fine with the random battles in RPGs.

>> No.948576

>>948552
I was mostly talking about things like how Garnet has the summons but doesn't have the MP to summon them. Like she doesn't know she has them. And I don't know why but I was always fine with the random battles in RPGs.

>> No.948583

>>948576
>And I don't know why but I was always fine with the random battles in RPGs.
most people are.
the person you are replying to should be the one saying "and i don't know why but i did not like the random blah blah"

>> No.948705 [SPOILER] 
File: 275 KB, 1277x997, 1338141522150.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>947829
The important question is, what do you feel about Lani's rack?

Also what do you think of the music.

>> No.948712

>>948576
>train to lvl 20 at the start of Disk2 in the undergrounds of Treno just to be able to have enough HP to cast Shiva before you're supposed to

>> No.949571

>Just got out of Lidblum, got Quina to join the party and went to Gizamaluke's Grotto
>Time to fight Grand Dragon
>Zidane with Coral Ring has to revive the whole party at least 10 times
>Him evading has saved us from taking the battle-losing physical attack many times
>30+ minutes into the battle he kills Vivi and Quina with Thundaga
>Freiya just jumped
>Zidane revives Quina
>Grand Dragon uses a physical attack on Zidane and he evades
>Zidane revives Vivi
>Freiya came down and kills Grand Dragon so the full party was alive in the end and we got exp for everyone
This was the best joy the PS1 gave me

>> No.949725
File: 416 KB, 1440x900, 2013-07-17_00001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>947160
Grainy as fuck character models. Also where the hell did Mog fit in there?

>> No.949726
File: 372 KB, 1440x900, 2013-07-15_00015.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>947238
Why hello there

>> No.949728

>>943795
I gave up on his quest. Fuck, it's not worth the trouble.

>> No.949731

>>949728
I'm shit at these types of things so the last couple of levels I had to take a rest inbetween each race.

>>949725
Same place Kuja hides his tail.

>> No.949742
File: 139 KB, 1440x900, 2013-07-17_00003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think I speak for most people that at some or multiple times in the game you just wanted to give Vivi a hug

>> No.949751

>>949742
Mognet quest was probably one of my favorites in a FF game.

Anyway this game was really good but did nothing with a few characters.

>Amarant and Freya get next to no storytime.

Amarant's backstory comes out in a single conversation and is completely irrelevant. Freya's love story with Fratley or her issues after Burmecia is completely ignored.

>> No.949753
File: 293 KB, 1440x900, 2013-07-29_00002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not OP but also been playing this recently since I never completed it before.
On Disc 3 in Pandemonium (pic related) still not sure who to have in my main party.

Everyone is around the same level (50-59) with the exception of Zidane (70), been using Eiko, Vivi and Freya mostly.

Garnet's scan and Chemist abilities are tempting me and I'm being drawn to Steiner just due to the character himself

>> No.949756

>>949753

You're so overleveled dude

>> No.949762
File: 85 KB, 640x960, 5153135131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>949753
Use whoever you like the most really. You can play without a healer but it's easier with one.

>> No.949761

>>949753
Zidane, Eiko, Vivi, Freya/Steiner

>> No.949801

>>949753
Always have Freya.

Always.

Her Dragon Magic is so useful it's almost comedy and Jump is an awesome skill.

>> No.949832

>>947128

Ha ha--GameFAQs covered the game better than you, and for free. About the only time I really used you was to find that staff that taught Vivi Doomsday.

>> No.949868
File: 55 KB, 550x547, 1310497604344.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> tfw you will never bury your face in Garnet's ass

>> No.949874

>>949868
>>946374
> tfw Freya will never bury her snout in your ass

>> No.949879

>>949868
Oh, please, Beatrix is the God-tier babe in FFIX.

>> No.949894
File: 171 KB, 382x543, 1374847589281.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw Lani will never bury your face in her rack

Fuck she should have been playable and a red mage or something

>> No.949952

>>949894
>>949868
>not wishing instead to be femdommed by beatrix

>> No.950094

>>943836
>He's good don't get me wrong but Magic Sword uses both his and Vivi's MP and I'm not that big of a fan of his Sword Art.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't use Vivi's mp. The sword arts are pretty lackluster for most of the game though. Still, he's effective nonetheless.

>> No.950176

Okay /vr/, we need to talk for serious. To get the obvious out of the way, I know the last two discs go kind of nuts compared to the first two.

But this FUCKING GAME MAN

I was 10 years old when I first played it. It was the only game with a real story that I had ever played. I was too young to understand life and death and I was learning about it WITH the characters. I had the same questions they did. I was looking for the same answers. I felt scared with vivi because I couldn't even think of what anyone could say to help him. I felt angry with Kuja for his mortality.
Every single character resonated with me and the whole game stuck with me for my entire life.
I love this fucking game.
AND THE FUCKING ENDING.
I mean I played 7, and I'm not one to get into a pissing contest on /vr/ but really,
It has fucking nothing on 9
I cried.
I was 10
Game changed my life

>> No.951204
File: 187 KB, 388x388, 456531513121.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>950176
It managed to make 10 year old me teary eyed in the end. I suppose that speaks for something.

>> No.951221

>>943665
>that little girl wearing crotchless pants

WHAT THE FUCK SQUARE

>> No.951224

>>951221
I've been playing this game since the day it came out.

One of my favorites actually.

I'm just NOW realizing this.

Holy shit.

>> No.951229
File: 40 KB, 498x735, frustrated buzz lightyear.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951221

>> No.951275

>>943773
Wait, really?

>> No.951282

>>944308
I have that guide right next to me actually.

>> No.951286

>>949742
Am I the only one the feel Vivi is the best Final Fantasy character. Game is so pack with feel for him and he still shown be strong even when he should have broken down (mentally I mean).
>>949762
"Hey Garnet what about that airship ride?"
>>949832
I'm using a guide but really just so I don't miss anything and to tell me what the boss is carrying.
>>949868
I'm gay and a furry so Zidane is all I want.
>>950094
Just read it and you are right about only using his MP but I still felt there was a better use for his spot. No offense to people that like him. I just don't really have much care for him.
>>950176
I remember a bit about the last two disk having weird pacing but I agree. The characters and story they were apart of worked perfectly.

>> No.951304

>>951224
Dude what? How do you not notice?

>> No.951314

>>943773
>>951275
Wrong. Stealing only increases the damage of Zidane's thievery skill. Formula is (Steals * Speed)/2

>> No.951334

I'm not sure if IX is my favorite FF but it has my favorite world/setting. I feel like that world has more to offer and world like more things set in it.

It doesn't necessarily have to be about Zidane or any of his crew. Maybe it can be about Fratley and/or Burmecia since those plot points got completely dropped in IX.

However with the way SE is now I think it's better keeping that a dream.

>> No.951339

>>951334
Well IX was meant to be basically a swan song for the older final fantasy. Since everyone saw them moving in a different direction and I guess they just wanted one last run with a more traditional older setting. If this is meant to be the end of the older Square I'm happy.

>> No.951427

>>949751
>Amarant and Freya get next to no storytime.

There is some semi-hidden backstory for Amarant, like the QTE you can see (and often miss) taking place a few years back when he loses his job and becomes a thug due to Zidane. Also wasn't it implied that he was a prince or something?

Freya is completely forgotten after the middle of Disk2 though but she gets a lot of attention until then.

>>949894
Somebody made a difficulty hack for FFIX, why can't they also hack the game to make Lani and Beatrix playable at all times?
FF7 and 8 do have mods like this but only on PC versions.... Sadly IX was only released on PSX and even though they re-released them recently I doubt they'll bother making a PC port of IX at this point sadly.

>> No.951441

>>951427
I feel Square doesn't really care about IX. Since it's looking back and not forwards. 7 makes them too much money and they don't really do much with 8 if I remember right.

>> No.951449

>>951441
8 is my favourite so I'm fine that they don't ruin it with shitty sequels/prequels or quickly made frustrating extra "dungeons" no re-releases (I'm looking at you GBA FF ports and the DS port of Chrono Trigger...)

but i'd love a re-release of FFIX with upgraded 3D graphics

>> No.951474
File: 55 KB, 415x600, red mage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951339
They DID have another traditional setting FF. Airships, elemental crystals, quasi-medieval setting, fanciful fantasy races, heroic knights and wizards,etc. Even had the core FF9 art team working on it.

it was online though lol

all they had to do was not make it an MMO and the fanbase would've have never been considered "dead"

>> No.951480
File: 466 KB, 1354x772, FF9_Lani.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951449
I don't want it to be in the style of XIII. Too costly and just a waste.

>>947751
That's made by some 3d artist who wanted to practise low-poly modelling in his spare time and it looks pretty good to me. Go with that and dig up the original non-compressed backgrounds and were good to go.

>> No.951485

>>951449
I feel because of the cartoonish graphics the PSX look gives it more of a charm. I'm personally not that big of 8 but I don't hate it. I just felt the junction system was a wonderful idea just a bit poorly executed. But that's just my opinion. And with 7 I feel that a whole new localization would be a nice start.

>> No.951491

>>951480
What I meant by upgraded 3D graphics is simply the kind of stuff you've posted with your pic. I'd love to see it.

I have little faith in ever seeing better quality 2D backgrounds since they probably threw away the original uncompressed material.

>> No.951539
File: 103 KB, 640x960, 5315315351321.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951491
This thread has a bunch of backgrounds and concept art so it's a start. Seems it's timing out for me atm though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551612

>> No.951547

>>951474

FF11 did not kill the fanbase. What are you even talking about. I bet you have never even played the game.

>> No.951548

>>951304

I also didn't notice. Or did, but didn't really think about it like that. FFIX is already full of weird clothing design.

>> No.951574

>>951547
I was a retard and meant "kill the series according to the fanbase". FF fans generally ignore the game just for the online part alone.

If anything, the money it made after CoP kept the series going.

I'd still like to see a single player adventure in the setting either way, the ensemble cast would've made it another FF6.

>> No.951587
File: 88 KB, 305x285, 1334200935814.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Mfw an FFIX thread in /vr/ as compared to /v/.

I-I think I'm here to stay.

>> No.951591

>>951574

Oh I see what you mean. I get you now. Yeah, a lot of people simply ignore it because of the online part. I really enjoyed the game and like you said it's clear to me that the art designers of FF9 worked on the game.

I've been saying that for years too. An FF11: Offline game would make so much money. They could've just ported the battle system from 12 (which is just a single player FF11) and it would've been great.

anyway back to FF9, a Red Mage character would've been great but I think it would've been overpowered. A character with both white and black magic plus a skill or two of their own (doublecast?) would've pretty much negated the need for Eiko and Garnet altogether. Imagine pairing up Amarant or Freya with a Red Mage? They would have enough healing power for the whole party.

>> No.951594

>>951591
it would have worked if the red mage was like 1/3 weaker in attack and defense than the other characters; that or something else to balance him out like less abilities to learn for him

>> No.951603

>>951594

I beat FF9 without Curaga a few months ago. Don't know how I missed it but I didn't have it. So if that's possible, then even if a Red Mage learned just Cura they would be a better character choice anyway

>> No.951614

>>951603
>>951591
I felt the game had a nice balance with it's characters. Having a Red Mage might have tipped the balance a bit off in my opinion.

>> No.951621

So no one is going to mention how Eiko looks like she's exposing herself? I mean, c'mon square, flesh-tone tights on a loli?

>> No.951653

>>951621
Yeah that was kind of weird.

Anyone remember going on cheat websites when this came out and seeing the one where you end up walking in on Amarant banging Eiko, with Cloud's head appearing to cover their junk?

>> No.951729

>>951539
>Kilika
>Huihui

wut

>> No.951741

I'm at a thrift store right now and I'm seeing FFIX at $2, should I pick it up? I never played a final fantasy

>> No.951747

>>951741
Yes.

Then you should ply it on an emulator so you can speed up combat. It's a fantastic game, but they really fucked up the programming in that respect.

>> No.951751
File: 366 KB, 640x181, PSOGL2_783.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951729
it's from an SA lp. The guy who made it is Hawaiian so he gave all characters hawaiian names.

>> No.951756
File: 40 KB, 374x380, Elated.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951751
>tfw you got Gold Chocobo for the first time

>> No.951758
File: 199 KB, 1280x1434, 5651616151.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951747
Meh, anyone who hasn't experienced pal gaming has any excuse to complain about the speed of a game.
If anything you should emulate it because the AA makes the game look so much better and brings out so much detail in the models.

And with detail I mean Garnet's ass

>> No.951762

Beatrix > Garnet > Freya > Lani > Eiko > Brahne

>> No.951767 [SPOILER] 
File: 150 KB, 413x531, lewdness.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951762
You forgot Maliris.

>> No.951771

>>951767
I don't fuck aliens.

>> No.951773
File: 333 KB, 708x600, 78464.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951771
Also you forgot about Erin

>> No.951779

>>951773
>dat tiny waist

Beatrix > Garnet > Freya > Lani > Erin > Eiko > Brahne

>> No.951783

>>951758
>not taking pictures of her transe mode where it looks as if she's wearing a g-string

>> No.951785
File: 1.14 MB, 795x1000, 456456131231.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951779
and Ruby

>> No.951789
File: 254 KB, 554x966, Suddenly leotard thong.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951783
I took the pictures during a thread, I didn't have time to wait ages.

>> No.951797
File: 379 KB, 1440x900, 2013-07-20_00002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I haven't played anything past 10, did SE just give up entirely on humour in the games?

I recall silly moments in 7 (crossdressing, date with Barret, the play in Gold Saucer)

In 9 we had the whole Regent Cid thing, Quina trying to eat everything, Steiner walking in on Garnet changing.. twice and all sorts of other stuff..

>> No.951813

>>951797
12 made attempts at humor, they just weren't funny, because Ivalice is way too srs bsns.

13 had no humor at all.

>> No.951816
File: 499 KB, 500x274, 1374845564656.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951797
XII mostly has Balthier being a fabulous and snarky motherfucker and Cid being a fabulous madman but that's about it.

XIII is unintentionally funny because its retarded.

>> No.951821
File: 275 KB, 1440x900, 2013-07-11_00007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.951849
File: 6 KB, 300x250, 1O7QGbHKDE-6[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951756
>tfw you accidentally bypass a story dungeon and break the game because you got the Gold Chocobo too soon and now Dagger is permanently mute

>> No.951850
File: 114 KB, 486x700, lnmk8ljV3H1qzwtdlo1_r1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951587
Welcome home, brother.

>> No.951898
File: 418 KB, 1440x900, 2013-07-13_00001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So after Cleyra do we ever hear from Puck or Fratley again or should I just assume they died when Odin blew up Cleyra?

>> No.951905

>>951898
Yes, you'll see them again in the ending scenes.

>> No.951906

>>951898
Fratley and Freya have a 15 second scene in the ending. Puck, I'm not so sure about.

>> No.951914

>>951849
Mute wasn't a problem, her commands failing because she's depressed, was.

Not that anyone should be using Garnet once you get to pick your team anyway.

>> No.951916

>>951914
Is Eiko objectively better?

>> No.951921
File: 462 KB, 720x1012, 74a63f6cd9527685a19119ea070ce784.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951914
those are fighting words, bitch.

>> No.951925

>>951916
Yes, her spells are better as his her ability to use them. Summons are Garnet's thing and they're utterly pointless once you can have Eiko & three characters who can do guaranteed 9999 every turn, since summons will still have a random element to them and you'll either get a shirter, weaker version, or their full power but you have to sit through the entire fuck animation every turn.

>> No.951932

>>951921
As far as bangability goes, she's second only to Beatrix. But much like Vivi, mid-late game she rapidly goes from awesome, to ok, to shit compared to everyone else.

>> No.951934
File: 85 KB, 713x543, Alphonse Steiner Elric has had enough of this shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951925
Synth enough garnets and bahamut will do 9999 no matter the version, auto regen and any summon spell are among the strongest healing spells in the game.
You have no reason to use Eiko over Garnet unless you like her character better or happen to be a pedo. Stop trying to bias people without any actual facts.

>> No.951945

>>951934
But you still have to sit through Bahamut's nimation, which is much longer than Thievery's, Dragon Crest, Frog Drop, or even just throwing shit with Amarant.

Plus relying on auto-regen is foolish since so many things start throwing Zombie at you end game and there's no ability to make you immune to zombie.

>> No.951941

>>951925
You forget however that Garnet and Eiko both have the same white mage abilities but Garent has both Chemist (double consumable power) and Scan in addition to the stronger eidolons

The only thing I can think that Eiko has going for her is Esuna and Carbuncle. The trance double-white ability never happens enough to be useful

>> No.951947

>>951941
She also has Holy & Full Life, which are much more useful than Chemist & Scan.

>> No.951952

>>951945
I can't think of anyone throwing zombie at you besides zombie dragons and Necron.
He has no reason to use one over the other when the game is simple enough to let you use the characters you like the most.

>> No.951958

>>951849
wat

how is that possible?

>> No.951963

>>951958
You enter Ipsen's castle before doing the Desert Palace, skipping the part where Garnet thinks things through.

>> No.951964

>>951958
Gold Chocobo can fly, meaning you can get to an area that should require the airship. Once you enter the place in that area the game basically goes "oh good heavens, I thought you were much further back, but since you're here the game must have advanced. I do aplogise" and thenmoves everything forward, ignoring all the stuff it cut out.

One of those things was the scene where Dagger gets her voice back. It just assumes that happened, so never bothers to give her her voice back.

It happens because the Gold Chocobo finder thing is the first one you get, as a sort of joke to make you wonder what this thing you can;t ever seenm to use is. They took it out in re-releases, so you get the Gold one last and not until after you've gotten past the point where this happens.

>> No.951973

>>951963
I thought I tried that and Ipsen's castle was closed. IIRC it only opens when you're supposed to go there

>> No.951978

>>951973
Only certain versions of the game allow it to work.

>> No.951979

>>951978
Which versions?

>> No.951980

>>951979
Original PAL release and I think the Japanese one.

>> No.951993

>>951980
I had the original PAL release...

But I might have only tried to sequence break when I replayed the game on emulation using the NTSC U version...

>> No.952046
File: 120 KB, 640x480, PSOGL2_200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>951751
Ha! I have that whole thread saved on my hard drive.

The OP was awesome.

>> No.952064
File: 119 KB, 640x480, PSOGL2_635.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952046
I'm reading through it again

>> No.952076
File: 131 KB, 1366x768, ffix.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952064
Been re-reading it myself as well. The OP was awesome, the rest of the thread not so much...

>> No.952080

>>952076
How does he know what Vivi's ass looks like under that coat?

Eiko was only 6 but she was a full on hourglass.

>> No.952087
File: 101 KB, 640x480, PSOGL2_688.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952080
Now this is an ass.

>> No.952086
File: 37 KB, 533x516, NoAccount.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952064
>>952076

>mfw

I really hate those "block the forums for a couple weeks" periods. I probably should get a SA account someday.

Uh, that Hawaiian guy is currently doing a FF7 LP, isn't he? Or is it a Brazilian?

>> No.952090
File: 87 KB, 640x480, PSOGL2_402.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952080
Holly has a pretty fine ass I must say.

>> No.952092

>>952090
Holly doesn't sound very hawaiian

>> No.952095

>>952086
A Hawaiian guy did the FF9 LP, a Brazilian guy is doing the current FF7 LP.

You couldn't access the old FF9 thread anyway unless you bought archives access.

>> No.952096
File: 85 KB, 640x480, E15_S38.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952086
It's not the same guy, it's a brasilian guy. That thread is also really good but he's been extremely slow to update recently due to work.

>> No.952098

>>952096
>gold writing on gold background

Ugh.

>> No.952104

>>952098
He only does that for "golden" quotes like Let's mosey.

>> No.952127

FF9 is the one PS1 Final Fantasy I've yet to complete, despite enjoying it the most.

I always get to mid-late disc 3 then lose interest.

>> No.952161

>>943665
Is Eiko wearing a skin-coloured leotard there or...

>> No.952172

>>952161
She is.

>> No.952179

>>952161
Yes, the 6 year old is not walking around with her cunt hanging out.

>> No.952198
File: 28 KB, 374x440, quack.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lots of people that are colorblind and confuse pink with skin color

>> No.952203

>ITT: Another 'MUH FF OPINIONS THREAD'!

Fuck FF. Dragon Quest and Golden Sun are much better.

>> No.952207
File: 25 KB, 392x913, 53123123415.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952203
Ok, guy who popped in just to type that out.

>> No.952220

>>952203
>Golden Sun

You're entitled to your own opinion.

>> No.952231
File: 1.54 MB, 230x178, Ness_taps_a_Shark_and_Gets_Initiative.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952203
I'm a huge Dragon Quest fan, and even I am willing to admit that there are good Final Fantasy games, and 9 is near the top of that list right after 6 and Tactics

>> No.952262

>>952203
I played through Golden Sun again (The GBA ones, at least), it was not quite as amazing as I remember but still pretty good. Probably around the same quality as the old FFs.

>> No.952291

>>952262
Golden Sun was very impressive in scale and looks considering it was on a portable console though it did suffer from the "chest blocked by a pebble in a game where people can move boulders" syndrome.

Just finished Disc 3 now. Is Kuja the most destructive FF villain there has been?

>Sephiroth
Burnt a town, started a cult tried to smash a meteor into a planet

>Kefka
Destroys half the world then nukes towns from orbit for shits and giggles afterwards

>Kuja
Uses a mixture of a Black Mage army, Alexandria and Eidolons to obliterate Cleyra and Burmecia then conquer Lindblum with plenty of collateral damage.
Uses Bahamut and the Invincible to nuke Alexandria pretty much defeating all 4 Kingdoms of Gaia.
Goes back to his homeplanet, becomes Fabulous! then throws a hissy fit and blows up the entire planet

>> No.952296

>>952291
>Goes back to his homeplanet, becomes Fabulous! then throws a hissy fit and blows up the entire planet

Don't forget that homeplanet, Terra, was inside Gaia.

>> No.952301

>>952207
God damn I want a FF9 remake. Her butt would get all the polygons and jiggle physics it deserves.

>> No.952309

>>952301
>Garnet twerking

I like.

>> No.952339

>>952301
i also like a sequel y know fightin badass monsta

>> No.952394

LOL this is the second FF9 thread I've come across in the past, like, two weeks!

Actually, the first one inspired me to pick it up on PSN and replay it. (I would have converted an ISO, but it would've taken too long to download.) I'm enjoying it a ton, but I'm finding the ability system to be pretty annoying. I'm torn between potentially losing abilities forever and grinding way too much.

>> No.952412 [DELETED] 

Holy shit a imagine PC release and a modding scene similar to that which FF7 has.

But I'd be happy with a mod that removes the hard-coded loading times from the start of battles.

>> No.952608

>>951797
7 was really the turning point of Final Fantasy. Which was the reason people call 9 their Swan Song to the classic final fantasy.
>>951816
I'm trying to steal all 3 items from her every time I fight her. It's not that easy.
>>952096
I wish that the game let me change the color of the background. I tend to go with a sea green in most games.
>>952203
I'm also playing Dragon Quest 4. My friend loan me his DS copy. About half way (I think since I'm not using a guide) through chapter 4. I'm enjoying it so far.
>>952231
I actually made a thread about Dragon Quest asking about the other games. >>951053

>> No.952687

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye7BGnlTZmQ

>> No.952876
File: 221 KB, 1200x900, 4564564.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>952096
Probably what I like the most about the VII lp is that so many people are realizing how biased they had become because of the extended universe and the rabid fanboys and girls that they first now remember/understand that the original is actually a legitmately cool game.

>> No.953082

>>952876
>chocobo medley thing for distant worlds 2013
>shows footage of the mainline games chocobo's been in
>shows lots of Sash footage
>completely skips IX and XII

Suck my fucking dick Squeenix.

>> No.953083

>>951785
Whut in tarnation?!

>> No.953176

FF IX was my first FF to play so I got that "first FF bias" thing with me.

I do remember before, the moment when I had/"kidnapped" Garnet, I was like " Damn! I need to protect the princess!" You wouldn't know how sad I get when Garnet/Dagger gets KO'd, like that part at the Evil Forest where she gets abducted by that vine-thing monster. Yeah she also got mute, turns out I hated her that time.

Side quests are nice, specially the Chocobo Hot and Cold. This is probably the only game that has the best chocobo mini-game and much more rewarding at that. Hippaul's race, going back to Dali during the card tourney to get that coffee, and yeah Vivi's mini game.

The story was great, back then as a kid, I wasn't much more of a critic so I just played it without a bother. The only thing I didn't like was there's too much death for a light and fun themed game.

The places were awesome, a typical place I fantasized when I was younger, I like Daguerreo the most.

What bothered me the most is, how some characters would get.. obsolete? useless? Like Freya's Dragon Crest, Zidane's Thievery, Quina's Frog Drop could easily do max damage? How Trance was a stupid excuse for a "Limit Break", why bother Trance when you can easily do max damage anyways? It's like it downgraded from how stylish and OP VIII's Limit Break was.

I cleared the game 7 times or so, first was around 2001. Last time I played it was about a year ago on an emulator. I stopped on the final save point, just a few steps on finishing the game, but I couldn't. I just can't. I'll probably replay it from the start again soon.

>> No.953192

>>953176
Think I've played through VII atleast 4-5 times but I've only actually beat it 2 because it's too much effort to walk all the way down to the bottom of the crater. Same with IX and VI but atleast you can port straight outside from the last save point.
Then there's also the fact that I don't want the game to end.

>> No.953214

>>951286
>I'm gay and a furry so Zidane is all I want.

do you even fratley

>> No.953796

>>948539
>locations including the best hidden town ever
go on..

>> No.953885
File: 112 KB, 640x480, 53554545454.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>953796
Find it yourself. Hint, use an airship or golden chocobo.

>> No.953887

>>953214
But Freya's story line, and by extension Fratley's, peters out and dies post The Thing. You know the thing. Spoilers. There's no resolution. Even end game. Leaves a bit of a bitter taste in your mouth.

The point I'm making is there's so little screen time that Fratley has almost no porn of him. And what exists is... eh.

>> No.953913

>>953887
That

>> No.954381

>>952291
>then throws a hissy fit and blows up the entire planet
Seeing Kuja cast ultima here was one of the bigger "holy shit" moments for me.

>> No.954492

>>943665
>Like how Dagger has all her summons but you get never use them because of low MP

You know I re-played this game, and I got to summon shiva before jester twins take her eidolons.

>> No.954794

>>954492
I did that too. I as hoping for a cutscene or something, but nope.

>> No.954825

>>948409
I think she was "Diamond"? What's so important about her?

Some details about games you've played long ago start to get foggy when you're close to beating 500 games.
I'm reserving that spot for FF7 or Chrono Trigger BTW.

>> No.954831
File: 217 KB, 381x485, Atomic Rage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>947557
>Trabia rules

>> No.954881
File: 280 KB, 1440x900, 2013-08-01_00003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well now on Disc 4, can't believe I forgot this scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BjZNoH6Wg5g&t=195

Just had my first party annihilation in probably one of the cheapest moves I have ever seen.

Tiamut casts burn on all characters which has a 100% chance to kill instantly if the character moves on their next turn.
Of course by that time I had already given my party orders before he cast it

>> No.954885

>>954881
That scene is rad as fuck.

>> No.954902

>>954881
That's what Body Temp is for, makes you immune to burn & freeze

>> No.955874
File: 1.04 MB, 1440x900, ff9-plvlyans.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>954881
The thing that I hated about Disc 4 is that, the other places/areas would be inaccessible due to that big root thing from Iifa Tree. Other than that, there's nothing good left but finishing the game.

Free bump. Pic is a year old. lol

>> No.957174
File: 904 KB, 1000x750, Master_Gizamaluke___FFIX_by_Grypwolf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>955874
>trying to steal that damn ice staff from this motherfucker

The ride never ends.

>> No.957524

>>955874
I have never seen those mobs before, then again in Disc 3 all I ever saw were grand dragons, zombie whales and that 4 headed dragon that loved using virus

>> No.957783

>>957174
Wait until you get to try to get a Fairy Flute from this fucking guy >>943779

I didn't even bother and just bought it later from Oeilvert.

I also didn't steal Holy Lance from the Ark. Fuck that bullshit.

>> No.958373

>>943737
>one of the few FF games with worthwhile steal items
>takes hours to be good enough at stealing for it not to be pure tedium

Goddamit square

also
>dat fucking shitty mandatory card game battle

>> No.958381

I'm playing it right now and I kinda can't get into it. It's not because of the story or characters. It's this retarded fade to black, 2 sec black screen, camera turns 4 times through battle arena / monster, fight begins and is extremly slow. It kinda ruins it for me, but i try to finish it. I'm in the the town after the ice cave right now, so not really far.

>> No.958419

>>957524
They're called Yans. You find them on an island southwest of the Lifa Tree. They're the metal slimes of FF9, and they're fucking hard to kill.

>> No.959519

>>958381
In the settings you can disable camera turning so much and makje the fight slightly faster. also i hope you're not playing the pal 50HZ version

>> No.959602

>>959519
I can't even imagine playing FF9 if the slowdown is even worst. Even at max on the US version the bar seem to just crawl.

>> No.959628
File: 169 KB, 696x1044, 1355870377523.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.959631
File: 35 KB, 581x850, ffIX-artbook003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dat ass, and such
I don't know..

>> No.959637
File: 96 KB, 603x850, ffIX-artbook005.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>959631
Vivi knows what's up
Tinkle, tinkle - ya heard

>> No.959641
File: 52 KB, 554x850, ffIX-artbook013.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>959637
Teh flaming red Faggot
I don't always thief, but when I do, I faggot

>> No.959640

>>959628
When I played it when I was 15 I never really thought about Quina eating his/her enemies. And since FF9 was the first introduction to me with blue magic (never really cared about it with FF8) I tried to get every Blue Magic I could. But now that I think of the whole idea it's pretty fucked up. Since you can eat humans without anyone ever questioning it.

>> No.959643
File: 117 KB, 618x850, ffIX-artbook012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>959640
She ate 'em with a spork.
What'd you think?

>> No.959647

>>951491
In an old /v/ thread I actually demonstrated how it would look if I just repainted over the old backgrounds at a higher resolution and most people were pretty happy with it. The whole problem is simply finding a way to get the high-res artwork in-game. So far I haven't found any way to get the texture replacement working.

>> No.959649

>>959643
His/her first weapon is a fork not a spork.

>> No.959658
File: 62 KB, 640x480, are you Quina eat that.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>959649
>his/her
cisgendered scum

>> No.959665

>>959658
I'm just joking since that's how the game calls Quina. Localizing cisgender is hard in English. The team thought that any label wouldn't do it justice. "It" wouldn't really sound right so they just thought it would be best to label Quina "him/her." You could debate what would be the best way to label Quina. But I feel the team felt like they were in a corner and just put it "him/her" in hoping people wouldn't get to upset. At least they kept it instead of just referring to Quina as a straight up male or female.

>> No.959680
File: 134 KB, 787x1000, ffIX-artbook166.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>959665
I was just jk/ing, too.
tinkle tinkle

>> No.959682

>>959647
You should try asking either on romhacking.net or there to those people who have made a difficulty hack for FF9, they might know : http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/28-final-fantasy-ix-unleashed/

>>959665
in the French translation she's a "she" (because there is no "it" in french and tbh she/he all the time sounds unrealistic and kills immersion since it reminds you that you're reading something); however the Protect Girl ability does not protect her.

>> No.959690

>>959682
As I said I feel they were backed into a corner and felt that him/her was the only way to really get around it. But in the end I think it was a tiny bump. And since there was no way around it I give it a pass.
>>959680
Ha. And thanks for the artwork

>> No.960115

>>959602
I did and I didn't even notice it until someone melodramatically announced how slow the combat is.

>> No.960221
File: 80 KB, 695x522, Hilgigars.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>957783
>Hilgigars

Man fuck that guy.

>> No.960227

>>959637
Is Vivi shitting a little Vivi?

>> No.961081
File: 335 KB, 1440x900, 2013-08-04_00003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>960227
Perhaps now we know why the ending has a crowd of Vivi's

Just finished this now. Ending more than made up for the rather dull moments and lack of content in Disc 4.

>> No.961141

>>961081
Yes but...the original Vivi is no more.

>> No.961173
File: 286 KB, 1440x900, 2013-08-04_00007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>961141
And until this thread I never realised it. Now it seems so obvious seeing as he was the only who was never seen during the epilogue

>> No.961190
File: 5 KB, 113x48, stunning PS1 QUALITY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>961173
Oh dear god those faces! Now we know why the game had them blurred out on the actual console

>> No.961195

>>961190
>Oh dear god those faces! Now we k

They aren't blurred out. They just never intended the game to be rendered at a resolution sixteen times the size of 320x240.

>> No.961224

>>959519

Thank god I'm playing the NTSC version. Switched the camera to fixed now.

>> No.961235

I wish I could play FFIX

can't find my fucking PS1 memory cards and the PS3 support is terrible

>> No.961241

>>961235
PS1 emulators have been stable for a long time. Hell the best GPU plugin was optimized for people running Geforce 4's and when 512MB of VRAM was enthusiast level

>> No.961247

>>961241
tried that already, my computer doesn't want to comply for some reason. ZSNES doesn't work either, only thing that DOES work is Gens, weird huh.

>> No.961253

>>961247
Well, worse comes to worse, it does run fine on the PS3 as far as I've played, just don't count on ever getting the moonstone from Brahne at the beginning because the input lag on the PS3 makes getting 100/100 on the swordfight physically impossible.

>> No.961263

>>961253
Not that big a deal since the only use I had for Moonstone was to boost Carbuncle on Eiko

>> No.961270

>>946483

Use quina to get lvl 5 death from the Zombie Whale things on the second continent

1 shot grand dragons

>> No.961309

>>943665
Final Fantasy 9 is the best final fantasy
Quina is the best character

>> No.962161

>>961309
That's an odd way to spell Vivi.

>> No.962191

>>961270
you can only win lvl5 death starting the end of disk3 once you get your first airship though

>> No.962398
File: 56 KB, 396x530, texsteiner.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>947108
What book is that from?

>>961190
the faces, and models in general, are mighty fine (here from a model viewer I wrote years ago). However, no resolution enhancement in any PS1 emulator will ever show so unless characters are up close because of the way the PS1's graphics pipeline worked: in had no subpixel accuracy, the coords for drawing polys were sent as integer values that directly mapped to framebuffer pixels, so upping the resolution will make polys more detailed but their vertices will still be aligned on a grid with the original low resolution, so everything that covers only few pixels will look square and ugly.

>> No.962421

>>946445
wait the idjuts on gamefaqs never knew that i mean hell ive put well over 1000 hours playing ix and it was extremely common knowledge as far as i knew oh and have vivi cast bio he gets from an oak staff from a chocograph it wrecks

>> No.962431

>>947704
>filename

>> No.962442

>>951449
but theyre suppose to be giving VIII the same treatment as VII for pc release there was screenshots otherday or someshit

>> No.962446

>>951964
if i remeber correctly you needed a cheaing device to pull it off correctly because you get the gold chocobo chocograph from the 6 chocograph peices you dig up through out the game

>> No.962449

>>962442
How was the PC port of 8? Any changes or basically the same? Since the PC of 7 had minor grammar corrections and I think that's it.

>> No.962454

>>962449
i think theyre just ftuning it for newer graphic card compatability maybe smooth out sprites it looked liked ps1 emultation though

the old pc port of 8 fucked me backwards upa hill with giant black boxes and constant crashing though

>> No.962558
File: 453 KB, 500x600, 1374848996680.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>962398
Oh, could you explain the reason for why ps1 polygons look so jittery as seen in the gif? It always bothered me since it's innate to the system and nothing you can fix.

>> No.962657

>>962558
same reason I already gave. To put it in layman's terms, even if you up the resolution in your emulator the game is doing all its computations for a (IIRC for FF9) 320x240 screen, basically. Consider it a grid overlaid on your screen, the jittering is vertices (the points that connect all the triangle edges) jumping from one "square" of the grid to another. The emulator can't correct that because the game itself isn't doing those calculations at a greater precision since the PS1 graphics processor will only accept integer values. Later hardware would support subpixel accuracy (ie it an tell to draw a vertex "between" pixels) which means it's only a problem with the first 3D console gen.

>> No.962702
File: 92 KB, 640x480, 45646464.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>962657
Oh, alright. I don't understand exactly but I got the point.

>> No.962704

I get less polygon wobble with Pete's Opengl2 plug-in.

Anyone else?

>> No.962706

>got this along with other games for $10
I didn't like FF7. Will I like 9?

>> No.962709

>>962706
depends on what you disliked in FF7, really, but probably not

>> No.962749

>>962709
Mainly the characters. I only really liked Tifa and Barret

>> No.962812

>>962749
FF9 has a much more cheerful atmosphere. Most of it is bright and colorful. The story however is arguably way more dark then 7. Talking about what it means to live and how the world would view us when we die. What about the characters of 7 did you not like?

>> No.962821
File: 2.13 MB, 2191x3077, 1359780107466.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>962398
>What book is that from?

Final Fantasy 25th Memorial Ultimania. Specifically the second volume with 7, 8, and 9.

>> No.962824

>>962812
How they made Aerith the love interest when she was just placed into the story outta nowhere.
How Cloud goes from daring and "brave" (i guess) to broody because Aerith died (I get it, she died. But you barely knew her).
Plus, Sephiroth as a character is a rollercoaster of confusion.
Though, the wording may make this perceived as baseless conjecture. Overall, I just didn't like how Cloud, Aerith, and Sephiroth were.

>> No.962826

>>962821
She has Leiji Matsumoto hair

>> No.962830

>>962824

Cloud felt at fault for letting Aeris be killed by Sephiroth. I would feel like shit too in his shoes

>> No.962853

>>962824
I think Sephiorth's problem is mostly a localization problem then anything. A lot of the it seem like we the players missed a whole scene sometimes. But that's just me. Cloud feels mostly sorry since he wanted to protect her but couldn't. But yes it does seem like he harps on it a little longer then anyone really should.
Outside a few characters (Amarant, and Quina mostly) all of the characters have much better motives and you have a better understand on why they are the way they are. Also like I said the characters are more lighthearted so when they do feel depressed it hits you a bit harder then in 7 and 8 (my opinion). I say play it and see.

>> No.962856
File: 43 KB, 348x500, 2746715420_10f2579d64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

IX's world will always remind me of Moomin what with all the different kinds of fable creatures living together.

>> No.962914

>>962449
Back in the days I had a friend who had FF8 PC also with exactly (one of) the video cards it was designed for. It looked absolutely WONDERFUL, better than what any PSX emulator enhancement can do to this day.

I really hope the PC re-release will have those graphics.

I'm glad it's getting a re-release because that will give me an excuse to replay it. It's in my top 10 favourite game ever (and my fav FF) and i've done absolutely EVERYTHING in it; I must have cumulated over 800hours of play in all my playthroughs.

>>962853
>Outside a few characters (Amarant, and Quina mostly) all of the characters have much better motives

I think Amarant and his motives represents the whole point of FF9 the best. His motives is to understand what makes Zidane&co what they are, what makes their lives interesting according to them; and when he understands that, he understands the purpose/meaning of his life too, and that's what the story of every character is about.

Quina is another story. Unlike every other character she already found what made life worth living from her, her goal, at the start, hence why she had no development. She didn't need any.

>> No.962942

>>962914
I was mostly talking about outside a line or 2 Amarant never really have much of a motivation. It's just that Zidane did something to him and now he hates him (paraphrasing).
And yes Quina knows what she/he wants I'm just saying that there is no development.

>> No.962959

>>961253
okay, PS3 report

Final Fantasy IV Chronicles version - bad sprite flickering and audio distortion

Final Fantasy IX - input lag

what else?

>> No.962961

>>962959
The input lag goes for -everything- on the PS3 when it comes to playing PS1 and PS2 games.

>> No.962970

>>962961
weird, didn't happen when I tried two other PS1 games on it.

>> No.962985

>>962970
It's there and built into the emulator itself. Sony's never fixed or even acknowledged it, but it's definitely there. It's about 40ms (2 frames worth) and may not be very noticeable to most people on a lot of games, but 2D games like shmups and segments of games where something like two frames really matters like the sword fight in FF9, it's very noticeable.

>> No.963392

>>962558
Good lord it's like one of those artsy stop motion cartoons.

I like it.