[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 59 KB, 500x706, 184946.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9398597 No.9398597 [Reply] [Original]

How's the PS2 port of this game? Difficult to fine any information about if this is a good port or now. Also, curious if the NA version has AES style 5 credit difficulty or if you can credit feed- I prefer some level of built in challenge to keep me engaged.

Also curious about the PS1 games if anyone has experience.

>> No.9398619

>>9398597
mame
mame
and mame
or FBNEO on retroarch

>> No.9398626

>>9398597
its a proper port and not emulation, its good

>> No.9398632

Xbox version has a weird design decision where if you run out of lives, you have to restart a level. PS2 version does not have such restrictions, reviving you where you died.

>> No.9398763

>>9398597
they also got metal slug 4 but it is a CD and not a DVD

>> No.9398793

>>9398597
>Also curious about the PS1 games if anyone has experience.
They are notorious for cutting countless frames of animation due to lack of required memory on PS1. They are playable, but you miss on a lot of pixel art spectacle.

>> No.9398870

always get the japanese version for these snk ports

>> No.9399187

>>9398870
Why? Weeb points?

>> No.9399325

>>9398632
Thats why Xbox version is the best version of MS3, even over mvs imo. Besides some minor other changes(like a very slight music improvement) and extra content, the "console port" way it worked was a great way to give you the original arcade experience, while still providing a challenge beyond just credit feeding or 1cc gitgud. I wish the rest of the series had gotten this treatment. I was always curious about the ps2 version of this, but if its just another credit feeding romp with no settings to make it feel like a "console port", then im not interested. OGBox version will always be the definitive way to play MS3.

>> No.9399335

>>9399325
We're reaching levels of contrarian that shouldn't be possible

>> No.9399357

>>9399335
Not contrarian at all. I own the mvs version and the xbox version and ive by far dumped significantly more hours into the xbox version over mvs. Its so much nicer being able to play MS like nes Contra, where you fuck up and lose your lives, you start the level over again. Cant do that on the straight arcade version, its either credit feed or start over the entire game which is hella frustrating. Xbox version is the perfect middle ground of set lives, infinite continues, restart from the stage you want, features im sure some emulator can kinda replicate, but all done neatly here. Its like a 16bit home port of an arcade game, with slightly different rules so you cant credit feed, except it has none of the downgrades like those versions had. The AES version possibly has similar functions, but its still missing the extra content then. I wish more arcade to console titles got this same treatment. No way i would be as good as i am at MS3 if i had just been playing the arcade version, id have gotten burn out from restarting trying to 1cc or not improved at all feeding in credits.

>> No.9399446

>>9399357
Bro, I totally agree with you. People poo poo this all day every day and say that a credit feeding mame version style home port is superior, it's just stupid. When a developer makes a home port of an arcade game I expect them to build in some baseline level of challenge, if you can turn it off or adjust it by options that's great- but I expect there to be a baseline default challenge to strive to complete. Credit feeding console ports suck. You convinced me to pick up the xbox version, thanks.

>> No.9399517

>>9398597
For Metal Slug, you absolutely want to emulate with a CPU overclock. Almost every port has significantly increased input lag and no way to fully remove slowdown. These games are so much better played with no slowdown and low input lag. You can also adjust all the dip switches and test certain debug settings which is also cool.

>> No.9399520

>>9398793
There's also mid-stage loading. The PSX was not the right system for these games at all.

>> No.9399642

>>9399357
The games are always about completing it with limited or 1 continue (or even no death if you've really mastered it). You can just do that with save states, not a reason to play a laggy and inferior port with slowdown.

>> No.9399651

>>9399642
Xbox version is not an "inferior" port though, includes extra features, slightly improved the music, blood effect on by default and comes as a package with adequate challenge that doesn't require using an emulator or messing with settings. Its not like we are talking about the collection on ps2 or something.

>> No.9399657

>>9399651
It is an inferior port moron. Metal Slug AES and MVS emulation have way lower input lag, the option to completely remove slowdown, and have way more features; yes, including blood of course, why would you even list that as an advantage of Xbox??

>> No.9399662

>>9399446
No problem bro, i as well appreciate when devs do this, its how pretty much every home port of arcade titles were back in the day, but lacked the actual ability to replicate the true experience. I would say the 2 Capcom Generations collections on xbox also sort of allow this, some games have set life limits, but a lot are also either infinite credits or 1cc, not every one has a middle ground. I wont say either one is as good as a home port as MS3 xbox, but they are worth checking out if you just wanna try these on an xbox.

>> No.9399676

>>9399657
Xbox version doesn't have slowdown and if there is input lag, ive noticed zero difference between it and the actual mvs cart and ive managed to beat the Xbox version on the highest difficulty (not 100% sure what that equals on mvs settings, but its no cakewalk). The Xbox version wasnt a complete rush job port like so many, its actually good. It has extra bits like a vs mini game, a survival game as the enemy soldiers and level select. If all that extra shit was thrown on a poor port, id agree with you, but its literally the best of both an arcade version + home version extras. Only thing i think they could have added is the combat school from the older MS ports. If you can set much of similar up on emulators, great. But as a simple to get running, all the major features you could want package with a suitable level of challenge like a home console game, this version is simply one of the best.

>> No.9399687

if you want to play a decently well known japanese title just get fightcade.

>> No.9399702

>>9399676
Yes, there is significant input lag for all the ports, and it affects you whether you realize it or not.

Yes, the Xbox version (and all the ports) have slowdown, so you are clearly just oblivious.

>(not 100% sure what that equals on mvs settings, but its no cakewalk)
Imagine if instead of guessing, you could actually just clearly adjust the difficulty setting exactly.

>vs mini game, a survival game as the enemy soldiers and level select.
Level select is not a feature as you can just use save states to have the exact configuration for a level you want. Having extra features is still not a reason to play the main appeal of the game in a vastly inferior method.

>combat school from the older MS ports
the combat school was very barebones until Metal Slug 6. Would be nice to have a romhack to include stuff like this in the Arcade versions though

Definitely try out Metal Slug in FB Neo with CPU overclock on a CRT or VRR display and you will see how much better it is. Some of the AES versions of these games actually have additional options over MVS like Vulcan fix and being able to rebind the stupid Slug attack, and UNIBIOS can add MVS exclusive features to the AES versions. Metal Slug 6 is best with the Dreamcast port. There are some ports that allow rebinding Slug attack and Vulcan fix where earlier AES games that didn't support them (such as the CD versions), but increased input lag and slowdown makes these CD versions unplayable imo.

Metal Slug 2 with a 400% overclock will completely remove all slowdown and makes you appreciate how great the game truly is and how many changes from X are just idiotic and ruin the balance of the game; additionally the Metal Slug 2 Turbo romhack removes a frame of input lag (you still need to overclock this version, as it's only equivalent to 200% overclock).

>> No.9401062

>>9398597
Probably shit since the game is shit
>pewpewpew for 2 hours
>can't shoot and run backwards so it also looks dumb and you will be shooting thing air 30% the time when avoiding attacks
Besides some amazing sprites, this series was completely pointless

>> No.9401436

>>9401062
What a dork.

>> No.9401657

>>9398793
Doesn't these versions has some extra modes or something?

>> No.9401665

>>9401657
I think, those modes are available on Neo Geo CD.

>> No.9401667

>>9401657
>>9398793
>>9398597
Guess what OP, the PS1 versions have mission modes where you can play extra challenges. What's interesting about these is that the girl that serves as your guide starts liking you more the more missions you complete, to the point of acting like a brainwashed slave when you reach super devil rank
I love it
Not all ports have these though, check the metal slug wiki, it's kind of a mess but I think the gist of it is that 1, 2 and XX had these modes

>> No.9401714

>>9401436
Post a photo of your brain if you enjoy these games

>> No.9401718
File: 71 KB, 1352x1065, strongbrain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9401714

>> No.9401984

>>9401667
ah yes, combat school
I remember the myth that she'd remove her shirt if you achieved max rank or whatever it was

>> No.9402010

>>9399325
Oh shut the fuck up you stupid nigger. You fucks are always going around jerking yourselves off over playing a shittier version of a game if it means its "harder" due to retarded changes that not even the original or subsequent ports have.

>> No.9402057
File: 1.64 MB, 2048x1496, chrome_screenshot_1665546295921.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9402010
>credit feeding is better

>> No.9402104

>>9402057
You don't need to play a laggy, barebones, slowdown-ridden port to not credit feed you smoothbrained imbecile.

>> No.9402189
File: 169 KB, 1030x1170, IMG_1525.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9402104
>adds more content and features, somehow that makes it "barebones"
>thinks it has more slowdown then the original release
>thinks he is good enough at the game to even notice any microseconds worth of "lag" it may or may not have

>> No.9402236

>>9402189
you zoomers are so braindead. Tribalism over some shitty port just because you've played it first and try to bend the narrative around it being better.

There is no option to remove or adjust slowdown, the input lag in many of these ports is nearly double or more, you can't adjust any dip switches or game settings, you can't use any debug settings, you can't use any (or barely any) shaders/filters, you can't use save states, and the game is running at the improper speed (60Hz instead of 59.2Hz).

The only console port that isn't absolute garbage is the ACA ports, and even those are lacking many features, can't adjust slowdown, and are objectively worse than emulation on MAME/FB Neo.

>> No.9402515

>>9399702
>Bro just use save states
Yikes.

>> No.9402551

>>9402236
>can't adjust slowdown
Did you ever stop to think that actual fans and non zoomers who grew up with these games have zero problems with slowdown? Capcom fighters that are considered the best even to this day have slowdown and that's the way we like it.

>> No.9402573

>>9402551
Metal Slug games were not balanced around slowdown and the slowdown causes dropped input and feels fucking horrible. Regardless, you have the choice: you can choose stockholm syndrome and play with full slowdown , or overclock by a certain amount to partially remove it, or fully remove the slowdown and have the game at its peak.

And that's just one benefit of many that these shitty console ports don't have. If you care about the authentic experience at all (the crippling slowdown and carpal tunnel inducing button mashing are always fun of course), then you wouldn't be playing these ports regardless because they have massively more input lag, inaccurate slowdown reproduction, look like shit on modern displays, and run at the wrong speed (60Hz instead of 59.2Hz)

>> No.9402594

>>9401062
>can't shoot and run backwards
pretty standard in run n guns. can't do that in Contra either. to shoot behind you you just turn and shoot. Are you getting overrun by enemies and need to backpeddle while shooting? That means you don't know the level design or enemy spawns and need to practice more

> and you will be shooting thing air 30% the time when avoiding attacks
what this tells me is you got filtered and have no idea how to play run n guns, and metal slug 3 is particularly hard so you need to build your skills up buddy before talking shit

>> No.9402597

>>9402551
>Did you ever stop to think that actual fans and non zoomers who grew up with these games have zero problems with slowdown?
minor slowdown isn't an issue, even X has a bit of slowdown but it's not a big deal. 2 has major slowdown that ruins the gameplay, even the devs saw this as a problem and remade 2 into X.

>> No.9402637

>>9402597
2 is my favourite despite the slowdown. I won't spend hours configuring emulator menus just so I can play it in what you consider playable.

>> No.9402657 [DELETED] 
File: 335 KB, 1417x828, two steps.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9402637
>I won't spend hours configuring emulator menus what? it's an option near the Volume control, just slide it up to 150% or whatever works for you, it takes 5 seconds lol

>> No.9402661

>>9402637
>I won't spend hours configuring emulator menus just so I can play it in what you consider playable.
It literally takes about 5 seconds to set the emulated CPU clock you fucking braindead retard.

>> No.9402662
File: 335 KB, 1417x828, two steps.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9402637
>I won't spend hours configuring emulator menus
what? it's an option near the Volume control, just slide it up to 150% or whatever works for you, it takes 5 seconds lol

>> No.9402729
File: 41 KB, 498x421, make it stop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

metal slug chads (not the shitters) give it to me straight, is it cheating or bad manners to use auto-fire in SLUG games? I'm talking like 10hz auto nothing crazy and mostly when I only have the pistol so I don't kill my fingers and gamepad

I feel like SHIT using auto-fire in a run n gun tho, and seeing youtube clears where most players say ''no autofire/no cheats'' !! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>> No.9402735

>>9402236
There are no official ports that offer everything you want, so your piss fit is retarded. Might as well get mad people play a pc game without using mods.

>> No.9402754 [DELETED] 

>>9402729
turbo is fine in literally every game ever, and like 99% of Japanese/Korean players use it. Mashing a button like a sperg is not a skill, and fucking up your hand long-term for "gamer cred" is fucking stupid

>> No.9402758

>>9402729
Turbo is fine in literally every game ever, and like 99% of Japanese/Korean players use it. Mashing a button like a sperg is not a skill, and fucking up your hand long-term for "gamer cred" is fucking stupid. Also basically every re-release of Metal Slug has autofire support, and almost every console in existence has some turbo controller.

>> No.9402760

>>9402758
ok thanks that makes me feel better

>> No.9402761

>>9402662
>>9402661
>literally 5 seconds to find slowdown options, difficulty settings, shader settings, save states, auto fire and so on in a maze of options
Wake up to yourselves. I played this cab where ever I could find it and never had a single problem with the game the way it was.

>> No.9402768

>>9402573
Xbox version looks and plays fine on a crt, as was what was expected for it to be played on. You throw around the Z word, but it sounds more like you were the one who wasnt around to play these when they were new in arcade or the xbox version. If you want to shit and ree on a shitty version of the games, do it for the PS4 rerelease of the PS2 anthology.

>> No.9402773
File: 128 KB, 1024x1222, e5ie56.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9398597
Nope MS is only good on mame, not even the MVS or AES (same thing ya) can perform the way mame can with Neo Geo.

I OWNED the PSX ones. Imported them. The sound sucks, they cut some frames, and the loading sucks, but in the day it was the only way you can access them at home so it was a no brainer to buy them.

>> No.9402774

>>9402761
>maze of menus
it's akin to changing the volume in mame...

>never had a single problem with the game the way it was.
can you 1cc it or do you just flail around aimlessly? I'd be surprised if you 1CCed it, since even changing volume in emulators is beyond you...

>> No.9402782

>>9402768
All the ports are bad, just some worse than others. There's really no excuse not to emulate it. These games are so much better played with no slowdown, autofire, and low input lag.

>> No.9402789

>>9402729
Wouldn't say its necessary, its just a game. But certainly more impressive if you can do without.

>> No.9402804

>>9402782
You are literally the first person I have ever seen pissed about the Xbox port of 3. Saturn and PS1 ports of 1 and 2 with major slowdown? Sure. PS2 and PS4 Anthology? Definitely seen complaints. It sounds to then that no version of the game is good, even the arcade original, if even that still requires boosting beyond what was intended. I cant even remember a single point in the xbox version specifically where slowdown was actually noticeable, maybe the Rootmars fight when he barfs up apples, but even that I may be imagining wrong. Doesn't matter regardless to me, I played the mvs and xbox versions to death over a decade and a half ago and had plenty of enjoyment. I will keep singing the praises of the xbox version because its a perfectly playable version if you have the system and the extras and life system add some extra nice bits on top. But if you like your tweaked version more, thats terrific.

>> No.9402828

I have all my slugs on mame (and retroarch), both have low latency and autofire settings I can customize. I can make a ton of save states for practice.
Not sure what the point of ports is for these games unless you're a collector or just have nostalgia over physical shit

>> No.9402840

>>9402804
No one saying it's unplayable or there aren't worse ports, it's just clear that you are only sticking with that version because it's what you are used to or you started with.

Just emulate the games or if for some reason you are completely incapable of doing that, go with the ACA port.

>> No.9402841

>>9402789
>But certainly more impressive if you can do without.
not really.. literally no one but normie retards give a fuck if you use autofire. basically all top players in existence use autofire. Have fun fucking up your wrist like a dumbass.

>> No.9402863

>>9402841
>basically all top players in existence use autofire.
Juno and Pasky don't

>> No.9402862
File: 20 KB, 133x300, images - 2022-11-10T143416.736.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9402774
>can you 1cc it?
What does that matter? And I have 1cc'd arcade games in the past on real hardware. Sorry anon but your emulator clears don't count.

>> No.9402867

>>9402862
>What does that matter?
so that's a no.
It matters because immense slowdown actually affects gameplay and trying to play well. But since you aren't trying to play well you don't notice it and don't think it's an issue.

>> No.9402878

>>9402840
I started with the MVS version and didn't get the Xbox version till it launched. I did play the entire 1 through 5 on Mame between those two versions and I still prefer the Xbox version because it played accurately to the version I had already been playing, had neat bonuses, level select, set life system which made it far more interesting then credit feeding in mame(and im assuming is what aes had) and was a more convenient option for playing with friends. Of the options available at the time, it was the best one I had played and the rereleases after were a downgrade in comparison. It still holds up as a fine version to play to get the games experience and the extras are still unique to that version. So yes, it is my preferred way to play the game, yes it is a perfectly acceptable way to play MS3 and no, it was not my first exposure to MS3.

>> No.9402879

>>9402867
Then that means no one has ever 1ccd the metal slugs in arcades if the slow down is such a deal breaker.

>> No.9402882

>>9402863
>these two garbage western players that no one cares about (probably) don't use autofire
don't care, enjoy your carpal tunnel retard

>> No.9402883

>>9402867
>you aren't trying
So unless I play your rom hack bastardised versions of games it doesn't count? That's ridiculous. Do I need custom colours and soundtracks as well to truly finish old arcade games too?

>> No.9402884

>>9402878
>set life system which made it far more interesting then credit feeding in mame
the interesting part is learning to 1CC the game, not giving yourself lots of lives to prevent yourself from credit feeding...

>> No.9402896

>>9402879
Most of the slugs don't suffer from immense slowdown like 2 did. Of course it can be cleared properly, but doing so might change your opinion on its quality when you can play a slowdown free version.

>>9402883
My point wasn't that the slowdown makes the game impossible to clear but that it reduces the quality of your experience when you're *actually trying to play well* not just jumping around aimlessly or credit feeding.

>> No.9402897

>>9402882
While I love me some auto fire it is cheating. Never found it an issue with ms2 until the trains anyway. Raiden 2 purple fire definitely was imposible for me to maintain though and rather than use auto fire I would simply avoid it.

>> No.9402904

>>9402882
>>these two garbage western players
cope
where are your replays?

>> No.9402906

>>9402897
>it is cheating
kek. no, it's fucking not you fucking retard. Literally any player of any relevance at all would laugh in your face for thinking that.

>>9402904
I almost have more no-miss run in the last few months than that clown has had in his 15 years on YouTube.

>> No.9402907

>>9402896
>Slowdown reduces the quality
That's where you're wrong. Many people on here enjoy slowdown and it even adds to the hype of intense moments. It's sad that you'll never experience that and it sounds like you have no idea what retro gaming is all about.

>> No.9402914

>>9402906
>player of any relevance
I thank God I don't like in your e-celeb worshipping world

>> No.9402917

>>9402914
talking about superplayers, not e-celebs you braindead retard. As I said, enjoy fucking up your wrist for gamer cred for the 10 normies on youtube that watch your shitty run.

>> No.9402920

>>9402906
>i have such and such achieves
yet no replays to back up your claims, curious

>>9402907
>Many people on here enjoy slowdown
minor slowdown is not an issue, but I'm not seeing many defend the immense slowdown in slug2, and the one person who is defending it admits he hasn't cleared it...So I suggest he try to 1CC the slowdown version and see if his opinion changes

>> No.9402931

>>9402884
No its not, thats just retarded. As was said way up above, direct arcade ports are either credit feed, of 1cc, the only arcade ports with a middle ground were home console adaptations that couldn't replicate the original game. You dont hear of fags bragging about 1cc NES Contra or Bionic Commando, because very few people actually give a shit. Credit feeding might as well be god mode, 1cc is a fine goal to strive for, but saying its the only way to enjoy these games is shmup tard autism. Idk how anyone can be irritated by a change that allows one to actually learn the game and provide a decent challenge, while not needing to constantly start a game over from level 1 or save state rewind 1200 times. I can comfortably 1cc MS3 on everything but the top difficulties (mainly cause timer bs) and i got there because turning MS3 into a console version experience made it far more enjoyable to go back and play through. I never felt like i was just feeding it invisible quarters or burn out trying to be a 1cc autismo.

>> No.9402939

>>9402931
>You dont hear of fags bragging about 1cc NES Contra
...?? Yes you do... it's just that 1CC is more of an Arcade specific term. Nobody really cares about 1CCs in general since it's a very niche subsector of gaming. NES Contra is a joke to 1CC, but then again so are tons of Arcade games.

>I can comfortably 1cc MS3 on everything but the top difficulties (mainly cause timer bs)
No one actually skilled at the game talks like this. Post replay or fuck off idiot.

>> No.9402943

>>9402931
>1cc is a fine goal to strive for, but saying its the only way to enjoy these games is shmup tard autism.
I didn't say it's the only way to enjoy these games, I said that's the real interesting part.

If you're going to practice then jacking up your extends is no different than credit feeding a set number of times. Neither one is ''more interesting'' than the other since they are both in your control, and Slugs don't have checkpoints so you're just continuing where you died.

>> No.9402949

>>9402939
I dont give a fuck what you think. I played these games before probably a majority of this site were even born. Im not some efag uploading playthroughs on YouTube to prove what a cool retro gamer I am. I have muscle memory'd the majority of 3 and the only things I know might fuck me up if I ran it again(i usually play one version of it every couple months) are fucking up on the last bosses apple barf, and the time limits on the highest settings when everything becomes a fucking sponge. Sorry if I dont have the cool arcade 1cc bros lingo down that you dont believe me.

>> No.9402954

>>9402917
>watch you run
I play video games to enjoy them. Why would anyway want to watch another person play single player content?

>> No.9402958

>>9402954
And even more pathetic than that is fucking up your wrist like a dumbass because some retard normies who don't even play arcade games think autofire is cheating.

>> No.9402959
File: 243 KB, 340x340, plok_is_absolutely_fucking_livid.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>8 ips
What a shitshow of elitism. Play whatever you want and ignore the fags shitflinging.

>> No.9402960
File: 81 KB, 404x410, person-skeptical-1-edited-blue-border.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9402931
>>9402949
>I can comfortably 1CC MS3
> jacking up his extends in Slug ports is ''interesting'' and ''provides a decent challenge''

>> No.9402963

>>9402959
24 ips newfag boomer

>elitism
>1cc is elite
lol exposed

>> No.9402970

>>9402963
My bad, still a shitshow.

>> No.9402979

>>9402960
lel

>> No.9402986 [DELETED] 

I just played Slug 2 with no slowdown, tried the first stage, the 4th and 5th stage
and lmfao it's so horribly slow it's actually kind of funny

>> No.9402989

>>9402986
I just played Slug 2 with original slowdown, tried the 1st stage, the 4th and 5th stage
and lmfao it's so horribly slow it's actually kind of funny and entertaining how this game was officially released like this

>> No.9402996
File: 40 KB, 415x739, images - 2022-11-10T153407.949.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9402958
>fucking up your wrist
Only ever did this bench pressing trying to rerack heavy wright. Do you play video games for 8+ hours?

>> No.9403001

>>9402996
that's why you should do dumbbell press instead, works better and its safer, specially slightly incline dumbbell press

>> No.9403006

>>9402996
>what is carpal tunnel
>what is RSI
holy shit you're retarded. Enjoy having a permanently fucked wrist because you thought mashing a button like a spastic for hours on end was a "skill"

>> No.9403012

>>9402960
Clearly you cant read. I can 1cc MS3, because the Xbox port made learning it enjoyable and not teeth pulling. I wasn't given infinite credits. I wasn't told "1cc it on your first try". I didn't have to fuck with save states. I had a level select so I could go to any stagebI wanted. I had a tally board of what POWsvi found which encouraged me to replay levels. And most importantly, the game wouldn't let me progress to the next level until I could, at the very least, beat each stage all the way through on 5 lives. It gave me a comfortable goal to shoot for, to beat, to up the settings, lower the life count, kept playing until I had everything basically down to muscle memory and if I was dieing, it probably wasn't till the very final section of the mothership. Yes, the lives helped give me a reasonable entry point to start from and made the game infinitely more enjoyable to learn that way. Eat my anal secretions.

>> No.9403014

>>9403006
Do you use auto fire for street fighter as well?

>> No.9403018

>>9403014
I don't play fighting games, but I will use autofire for any game in existence where there is benefit, yes.

>> No.9403020

>>9403001
Dumbbells only got up to 30kg at my gym =(

>> No.9403027

>>9403018
There are times where autofire is a hindrance though.

>> No.9403058

>>9403012
>I can 1cc MS3, because the Xbox port made learning it enjoyable and not teeth pulling. I wasn't given infinite credits
You gave yourself extra lives? That's like allowing yourself a certain amount of continues/credits...

>I wasn't told "1cc it on your first try". I didn't have to fuck with save states.
No one is playing Slugs thinking they will 1cc it on first try.

> I had a level select so I could go to any stagebI wanted.
Not a big deal with emulators. You credit feed your first run and make save states for all the stages, the problem spots you have and bosses.

>And most importantly, the game wouldn't let me progress to the next level until I could, at the very least, beat each stage all the way through on 5 lives.
that's like using 2 credits on a normal game.

There's nothing special about the xbox version that really helped you that you couldn't do with mame or retroarch...actually you can do a lot more with mame and retroarch

>> No.9403072

>>9403027
Easy solution is just to have one standard and one autofire. You could even have multiple buttons for different frequencies for some games

>> No.9403082

>>9403072
>just use a million buttons bro

>> No.9403087

>>9403082
Considering arcade games usually only ever use 2-4 buttons (oftentimes to their detriment), that's not really saying much.

>> No.9403095

>>9403058
Think what you want, because it absolutely did. I wasn't of the mentality to finish it on 1 credit when i was playing it on mame. It was "cool i can see the ending because im not putting my actual money in to play it." Mame was fun to dick around in, but I had no sense of accomplishment from it. Xbox version (and AES) provided a challenge that wasnt some arbitrary goal I made up on my own. It made it feel like beating a tough NES game or something like Contra Hard Corps. Sure, in theory I probably could set something similar up in that early 2000s version of mame, but the xbox version provided a cleaner, easier to start up, convenient package and made learning it feel like "beating the game" rather then trying to "learn the game". I never felt the need to go back and practice, I just kept playing it like I was playing Contra on Genesis or NES and I naturally mastered it. If it had just been a straight infinite credit port, I probably wouldn't have gotten good at it. Maybe I would have tried to set a goal to beat, but id probably either get burned out and move on or just credit feed to the credits. You might as well argue that every game should just have infinite lives and only use save states you decide where to put. It was fun enough when i had quarters and it was fun having it presented as a home version experience.

But I really dont care anymore. I know I can close to master this game because of the xbox version, I know it plays perfectly fine, I know it has extras that add a nice touch. For sake of me not giving a shit anymore, I graciously award you the title of winning the internet argument. Congratulations!

>> No.9403141

>>9403095
> Xbox version (and AES) provided a challenge that wasnt some arbitrary goal I made up on my own.
>1cc is arbitrary goal
Lol.
You mean they give you a 4 continues to spam, so you can brute force the game, see the end while claiming ""I beat the game"" ?
But you can't legitimately say ""I beat the game'' on mame or arcade because the expectation is always 1cc.

>and mame gave me no sense of accomplishment playing with infinite credits
you have some weird mental hangups and copes if that's your case.
You can judge progression based on how far you get on 1cc. Got to stage 4 on 1 credit and game overed? That's better than stage 3! etc

>It made it feel like beating a tough NES game or something like Contra Hard Corps.
huh? Contra Hard Corps (US) is similar to Slugs, you die in one hit and the expectation is 1CC to beat the game. Or do you mean you used 4 or 5 continues on Hard Corps and counted that as ''beating the game'' ?

All this sounds like bizarre cope on your part because you need the game to limit you directly, but not be too hard otherwise you give up

>> No.9403198

>>9403141
Dont care, like I said you win the interweb argument, but your response regarding Hard Corps and not really beating it unless you 1cc it pretty much verified my assumption of what type of autist you are and your views on gaming, so your oppions literally mean nothing to me now.

You must get upset by Super Mario Bros. having lives. Sorry I was able to 1cc MS3 without being a save state shitter and just playing it like a normal console game. Definitely wont be continuing this retarded argument now that its confirmed the level of tism you are at.

Also:
>All this sounds like bizarre cope on your part because you need the game to limit you directly, but not be too hard otherwise you give up
Yeah thats called the gradual process of learning. But you are clearly a 1cc or nothing matters tismo so I understand how that concept must be alien to you.

So once again, congratulations on the win, im sorry video games are not enjoyable for you outside of perfecting 1 credit runs, xbox version = good and I hope your schizophrenic tendencies do not impact your life in more of a negative way then they already have. Now get back to posting up those no-hit, any% runs, buddy!

>> No.9403201

>>9403095
you know most arcade games including metal slug games keep track of how many Credits you are abusing by altering the last digit of your score? it goes up from 0 to 1 for each continue you use. So if you beat the game and it's at 9 everyone around you would know you suck and used 9 continues lol

>> No.9403207

>>9403201
either they do that or they reset your score back to 0. So if you're on the final stage and your score is 100 pts that's a good indicator you've game overed/used continues. Or they'll have a way to indicate how far you got on the final score screen.

>>9403198
You admit using excessive continues ruins the gameplay and removes sense of achievement...and i've heard enough people say stupid shit like ''Ghosts n Goblins isn't hard, Raiden 2 isn't hard, Contra Hard Corps isn't hard'' and then after a bit of questioning come to find they used 5 to 10 credits to ''beat'' them.
Going over 1CC is a fine way to practice and have some fun but I don't consider a 2cc or 10cc ''beating the game''

>> No.9403212

>>9403207
a 2cc means you game overed somewhere and the game beat you, so yeah it's not a hard concept, but kids who grew up on console games spamming continues don't get it

>> No.9403216

>>9403212
What console games let you lose all your lives, then your continue revives you exactly where you lost your last life? They still made you beat the level.

>> No.9403217

>>9403207
Contra Hard Corps is not hard at all, it's just very heavy memorization with way unforgiving lives structure that makes practice very tedious. If you practice with save states or even the Japanese version, even a no-death run is not too difficult at all. Hard Corps Uprising is the one that is actually difficult, even with 3 HP lifebar.

>> No.9403218

>>9403212
Actually console games limited continues which made it feel like you are allowed to use those continues like extra lives. Which made it possible for bad players who don't understand 70% of a game and to scrape by and ''beat'' the game and claim victory to their friends, like...>>9403198 >>9403095
On the flip side, most arcade games allowed infinite continues which clearly and obviously reduced the challenge of the game so much that people realized they were just for practice and the real way to ''win'' is to 1cc, developer hints like resetting score or changing the final score digit or walling off true last bosses was extra support for the 1cc way to win >>9403201 >>9403207

It's pretty obvious when you are allowed infinite continues that the real way to win is 1cc, it makes games so unbelievably trivial that saying ''i beat X but I used a dozen continues'' is meaningless. The limited 5 or 10 or whatever continues that consoles set gives the illusion of winning since the player can say ''well the game ALLOWED me those continues'' and it was still a bit tough I guess...

>> No.9403225

>>9403218
For the sake of humanity, I hope you dont work in game development.

>> No.9403232

>>9403218
Arcade games were always meant as quarter munchers. 1CC was basically never even a term that existed when arcades were around and only came to prominence with emulators where people could easily practice sections over and over to master them.

>> No.9403234

>>9403217
>Contra Hard Corps is not hard at all....even no death run is not difficult at all
by what metric? it's similar to slug game difficulty, harder than #1 that's for sure, it's hard by console game standards

>it just very memo heavy!
thats usually what makes single player games hard

>Uprising is harder
Yes and many games are harder than Uprising, doesn't mean it's not hard.

>> No.9403236

>>9403232
>1CC was basically never even a term that existed when arcades were around and only came to prominence with emulators where people could easily practice sections over and over to master them.
total bullshit arcades kept track of scores and showed leaderboards which took into account 1ccs.

And the japs in japan were cataloging scores (which required 1cc to be official) since the 80s and became even more competitive in the 90s, with different arcades forming cliques and gangs to fight other gangs for scores (and implicitly 1cc). And if you read interviews 1cc as basically the way they learned the game, the first goal, then came no death runs or scoring runs

>> No.9403241

>>9403234
>by what metric? it's similar to slug game difficulty, harder than #1 that's for sure, it's hard by console game standards
Metal Slug 1 is significantly harder than Contra Hard Corps to beat no death lmao.

>thats usually what makes single player games hard
memo heavy but with very simple execution.

>Yes and many games are harder than Uprising, doesn't mean it's not hard.
Of course, but it's by far the hardest of the Contra games to beat deathless (aside from MAYBE Super Contra Arcade both loops) and harder than vast majority of Arcade games to beat deathless even with 3 HP (talking about Arcade mode, not Rising mode)

>> No.9403243

>>9403236
Japan also loves turn based rpgs and visual novels, so this kind of degenerative behavior isn't surprising.

>> No.9403246

>>9403225
I'd have an ''arcade mode'' at the top, which incentivizes 1cc to ''beat the game'', with the true ending or final boss only available upon 1cc.
Then Options and Settings below it.
Then Story mode/Practice mode below the options, which offer stage select, some lore fluff and save state options, limited or unlimited continues, whatever you want to practice with.
I'd be a generous game dev, one that lets shitters have fun but not trick them into thinking they ever ''beat'' the game by spamming continues.

>> No.9403247

>>9403243
westerners were doing score runs too, no death runs and 1ccs, just in less quality and less quantity than the japs

>> No.9403249

>>9403236
Most Arcade games don't even reset your score on continue... the term 1CC was basically non-existent before the 2000s. Literally no one gave a shit outside of very niche hardcore communities. For vast overwhelming majority of players arcade games were viewed as fun timewasters and to devs they were meant to be quarter munchers.

>> No.9403253

>>9403246
So ball busting bragging rights before just being an enjoyable game someone would enjoy?

>> No.9403261

>>9403249
>Most Arcade games don't even reset your score on continue
most will either change the final digit of the score OR reset your score entirely or have some way of indicating you fucked up the 1cc on the final score screen.

>the term 1CC was basically non-existent before the 2000s.
the term didn't have to exist for the meaning to have been operative.
world record scores required 1CC finish, even if they called it something else prior

>le devs quarter munchers
devs would react to player and arcade owner feedback, sometimes they made games too hard and the demand for easier revisions or sequels would appear, or vice versa. Quarter muncher requires a game to actually be good and entertaining to learn and play, otherwise it's not getting extra quarters beyond the first...people could see the end of a game with a few dollars of credits on their first run, but they'd come back and try to ''win'' with less and less quarters, ideally 1 credit

>the regular fans within the hobby knew what's up, the random walkins didn't
yeah that's how most hobbies work, ask the real fans not the lukewarm voyeurs

>> No.9403267

>>9403253
The bragging rights have to be earned, that's what makes winning satisfying. The beginners can learn the game in story & practice modes. The permanent-shitters who never get good can also enjoy story & practice modes, with stage select, life and continue options, etc. They just can't face the final boss or get the true ending if they are still shitters

>> No.9403279

>>9403261
>playing for score
>caring about a single digit
irrelevant. That was just a useful tool to let you know how many quarters you used. It never was meant to invalidate your score or to push the idea that only a 1CC is valid.

>the term didn't have to exist for the meaning to have been operative.
holy cope

>Quarter muncher requires a game to actually be good and entertaining to learn and play
still quarter munchers. the entire design of the game is built around suckering players in then extracting max quarters. It's why most of them have steep difficulty spikes, cheap bosses or sections, and rank systems that continually ramp up until you die. Both arcade operators and developers want you to waste as much quarters as possible on their game, they didn't pat you on the back for doing well and playing with few quarters, as that meant they lost money.

>> No.9403285

>>9398597
>Also curious about the PS1 games if anyone has experience.
They have loading times in the middle of levels.

>> No.9403303

>>9403279
>That was just a useful tool to let you know how many quarters you used. It never was meant to invalidate your score or to push the idea that only a 1CC is valid.
There aren't world record 5cc scores though, it literally did invalidate those scores. The exception might be if a person got a huge score and died on the final stage, some competitions might record their score with an asterisks* saying ''incomplete run, game over on stage 5, no clear'' etc

>holy cope
it's a fallacy to think that because a term didn't exist then it's concept didn't either...

>still quarter munchers. the entire design of the game is built around suckering players in then extracting max quarters. It's why most of them have steep difficulty spikes, cheap bosses or sections, and rank systems that continually ramp up until you die.
they're only cheap and difficult within the context of a 1cc or scoring, outside the 1cc or scoring they are trivial, you can see the end of an arcade game within a few credits, not a big deal, if that's all that was intended they wouldn't be profitable, they wouldn't be quarter munchers, in fact people would ''beat'' most of an arcade in a weekend or two.
They're difficult quarter munchers only when you're actively trying to get good and beat the game properly, 1cc

>> No.9403320

>>9403303
>There aren't world record 5cc scores though, it literally did invalidate those scores. The exception might be if a person got a huge score and died on the final stage, some competitions might record their score with an asterisks* saying ''incomplete run, game over on stage 5, no clear'' etc
Yes, because world record clears are extremely optimized, and dying dozens of times in a run tends to not be very optimized...

>it's a fallacy to think that because a term didn't exist then it's concept didn't either...
Trying to beat the game without spending many quarters and this idea of 1CC hunting or that clearing the game with only 1 quarter is truly "beating" the game are not the same thing at all. The former took place in Arcades, the latter only took place decades later with the rise of emulators.

>you can see the end of an arcade game within a few credits, not a big deal, if that's all that was intended they wouldn't be profitable, they wouldn't be quarter munchers, in fact people would ''beat'' most of an arcade in a weekend or two.
>They're difficult quarter munchers only when you're actively trying to get good and beat the game properly, 1cc
holy shit you're retarded. Arcade games feature a ton of cheap difficulty and gotcha moments to extract quarters, usually after luring the player in with an easy first couple minutes, then ratcheting up the difficulty once they're invested. But when you know the tricks, you die WAY less. A game like Metal Slug may require a first time player 25+ credits on their first playthrough, but even on your second playthrough, that number is already cut way down, and then third playthrough, it's cut way down some more. Someone practicing a game going for a 1CC will very quickly be using only a few credits per run. Arcade operators want suckers, not experienced players hogging the machine using minimal quarters.

>> No.9403361

>>9403320
>Yes, because world record clears are extremely optimized, and dying dozens of times in a run tends to not be very optimized...
1cc was also required in games that would benefit from credit feeding, where you could optimize giant score milks if you were allowed to do 20cc runs with the score carrying over...but it didn't happen, it wasn't allowed, 1cc was mandatory even if they called it something else. And when arcade games got ported to consoles or PC with online leaderboards 1cc is also required to have your score recorded and ranked. Why are you talking shit about things you don't know? Just out of ignorance? You suck at games and suck at debate my friend.

>I never knew about beating games on 1 coin so it wasn't a thing!
youre argument in a nutshell just shows your ignorance.

> Arcade games feature a ton of cheap difficulty and gotcha moments to extract quarters, usually after luring the player in with an easy first couple minutes, then ratcheting up the difficulty once they're invested. But when you know the tricks, you die WAY less.
All of that is voided when you credit feed, it takes a few dollars to see the end screen of a game and the games difficulty becomes trivial, the gotcha moments don't matter they don't even register, they're nothing.
The only exception would be the rare checkpoint games with hard game overs like Gradius 3 or DOJ WL, where shitters are blocked from credit feeding the whole game

>> No.9403370

>>9403320
>1cc not real just new meme

you're retarded, Gamest magazines would record scores and clears for tons of games. For example in an 1989 issue they list 57 people as having cleared (1cc) UN Squadron aka Area 88 at arcades when it was released, but note that an infinite pattern was found so scoring won't be recorded in future issues.

>> No.9403376

>>9403361
>1cc was also required in games that would benefit from credit feeding, where you could optimize giant score milks if you were allowed to do 20cc runs with the score carrying over...but it didn't happen, it wasn't allowed, 1cc was mandatory
No, not really... If some game required dying repeatedly to maximize score that would be the record and the best run. It's just that are such a minuscule amount of Arcade games where the optimal method is to die repeatedly over and over. There is no requirement anywhere that says a high score must be a 1CC. Just generally superplays tend to be optimized for score and minimal deaths unless where necessary.

>youre argument in a nutshell just shows your ignorance.
The idea that a game was only "beat" when you used a single credit is very much a new concept only in the last decade or so you retarded zoomer.

>The only exception would be the rare checkpoint games with hard game overs like Gradius 3 or DOJ WL, where shitters are blocked from credit feeding the whole game
Oh, you mean games you literally never once saw in an Arcade and that you had to play on MAME or buy an overpriced PCB? Fuck off you autistic shmuptard zoomer. You are confusing modern shmup scoring autism with the Arcade scene of the 80s and 90s. Kill yourself you underage poser faggot.

>> No.9403382

>>9403376
>There is no requirement anywhere that says a high score must be a 1CC.
arcade operators would check your score before submitting it, if it wasn't a 1cc it wouldn't qualify

>completely ignores how the 1cc convention carried over to console and PC ports with score leaderboards
oof, exposed

>>9403370
this^

>> No.9403386

>>9403382
>oof, exposed
holy shit kill yourself retarded zoomer. Trying to act like you know anything about arcade gaming when you were literally not even a sperm in your dad's nutsack when arcades were in their heyday

Every single thing you know about arcade gaming is from save state scumming MAME. It's sad really.

>> No.9403398

>>9403386
>nothing but insults and copes
Alright you already admitted defeat.
tell me more about the joys of credit feeding console ports!

>> No.9403471
File: 186 KB, 897x1298, IMG_1659.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I LUV METAL SLUG!!!
I WANT ERI TO PEE ON MY FACE!!!

>> No.9403550

>>9403471
gotta get a 1cc before you get the 1 pee pee

>> No.9403570

>>9402729
I use turbo on everything that supports it. I'm not getting an RSI just to appease some turboautist who thinks it's "cheating".

>> No.9403573
File: 100 KB, 557x605, 1459637779282.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OG, Xbox, or MAME for me.

>> No.9403886

>>9403573
>Xbox
Contrarian.

>> No.9403915

I don't know how the various ports of Metal Slug 3 play, but I'd just like to say that the people arguing about 1cc's and clears and all that both have a point. On one hand, yes, most likely the developers at SNK have intended the players to 1cc the game for it to count as "beating the game", especially given how arcade games are designed. However, consider the following: you are a person who doesn't just like arcade intended 1cc game design, but also considers it the minimum for it to count as beating the game. Sure, to you that's normal, especially since you have probably surrounded yourself with games like that, fending off the shitters from the throne of getting good. But have you tried to, say, look at any other thread on /vr/? Say, a Castlevania thread, or a Mega Man one. Do you really think there's almost anyone in there who thinks the same and doesn't just use continues for those games? And that's just talking about games that are at least a little bit similar in design, how about some PS2 games? Or PC stuff? And it's exactly for those people that limited lives are for. And if a person has fun doing that, why not? Or is the notion of them saying they have beaten the game without 1cc'ing it cause you extreme pain? Because there will be a lot of people who will do that, and I am sorry to say, you can't do anything about it. As for the rest of the things said about the XBox port, I can definitely see those being a problem - input lag and additional slowdown are definitely something that would hinder the experience, but I can't say how bad it is since I haven't even played that version. Remember: have fun.

And 3 isn't even the best Metal Slug.

>> No.9403975
File: 828 KB, 1058x1059, adc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9403915
most current year gamers don't know wtf beating a game means or is supposed to mean, we can't go by the common denominator average gamer because they think using rewind, save states and spamming continues are all legit if the ''game allows'' you to see the credits that way....Mike Matei's tweet triggered so many because they have no fucking clue what beating a game means

>> No.9404005

>>9403975
That's because most retro games were weak on content and meant to last for many dozens of hours of play despite being both short and shallow. When you use save states, you realize that the strategy needed to beat sections is extremely basic and the execution is braindead simple; the only ""difficulty"" comes from gotcha moments, retreading sections, and restricting your ability to practice.

>> No.9404007

>>9403886
I'm permitted to have opinions. Go be a retard elsewhere.

>> No.9404054

>>9404005
>I can't 1cc anything but let me tell you about retro game difficulty
you're still salty and still ignorant lol back to credit feeding console ports on easy difficulty with extra lives :}

>> No.9404071

>>9403975
I can only imagine the tears and copes both delusional boomers and ignorant zoomers experienced when they realized Rewind, Save states, and spamming continues totally invalidate a run and means you didn't ''beat'' the game legit and need to go back and beat it for real.

>> No.9404116
File: 189 KB, 935x483, recentclears.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9404054
cope and seethe.

>> No.9404180

>>9403975
Guarantee Big Dick Mike isnt autistic enough to reset his NES everytime he dies and just starts over from the continue screen. I still dont even see how its an issue since continues dont magically make you beat the level you died on. Hi-Score shitter challenges? Sure. But if you conquer each challenge as its presented and win, yeah you beat the game. Everything else after is just a victory lap if you still want to replay it, but the majority will be satisfied, move on and occasionally return to what they already beat.

>> No.9404198

>>9404071
Yes, they all had to go back and replay on 1cc to validate themselves in the eyes of the arcade savants or else they wont be able to get into gamer heaven when they die and their entire lives would mean nothing.

>> No.9404202

>>9404116
>no Slug 3 no replays to view, just screenshots
still waiting for your alleged 1cc proof

>metal slug 1 and contra 1 aliens UN squadron
piss easy shit, no wonder

>> No.9404212

>>9404198
>nooooooo you can't just tell trannies they aren't women! noooo you can't tell shitters they didn't actually beat that game with rewind and credit feeding!
don't care lmfao truth trumps delusions

>> No.9404229

>>9404202
Slug 3 1CC is easier than no-miss in some those games lol. I will get around to no-miss clear on Slug 2-4 eventually. Never really cared for Slug 3 though and haven't spent much time on it.

What clear should I go for next that is harder? Not doing any 1CC runs unless the no-miss clear is just completely unfeasible (so like Battle Garegga, Strikers 1945 2-ALL, Sunset Riders 2-ALL, etc.)

Right now going for Tiger Heli Arcade no-miss, Gunsmoke 3 loops no-miss, In The Hunt (JP version) hardest no-miss, Sunset Riders no-miss, Rendering Ranger hardest no bomb no-miss, Batsugun original no-miss, Gunstar Heroes Expert no death, Sonic Wings no-miss, R-Type no-miss

>> No.9404230

>>9404116
I wouldn't upload those shit clears either

>>9404212
lel

>> No.9404238

>>9404229
are you this retard or someone else? >>9403095
>>9403198

because this post >>9404005 sounds just like that previous retard, but your recent post >>9404229
sounds like you're someone else.

>>9404230
>I wouldn't upload those shit clears either
yes those are all shit clears that take maybe a couple days to attain. No wonder this new retard thinks retro game difficulty is shallow lol

>> No.9404239

>>9404202
>>9404230
>>9404238
>talks shit
>posts no clears
lmao. most weren't hard but there aren't many arcade or console clears that are actually difficult aside from a few shmups (mainly the second loops).

>> No.9404242

>>9404229
>What clear should I go for next that is harder?
You haven't actually uploaded any clear so I'm not going to bother wasting time talking to a potential fucking retard

Go make a channel upload your shit clears, then you'll get suggestions. Right now you just inserted yourself into a long running conversation for no reason

>> No.9404253

>>9404212
Show me in your gamer Bible where this truth you follow is clearly stated by Gamer God, that thou shall only enjoy and beat games on 1cc, nor shall continue from start of thy stage and must reset to thy genesis of play after every departure of life, or else you burn in gamer hell for all eternity, tormented by Billy Mitchell.

>> No.9404254

>>9404202
>>9404230
>>9404238
>>9404242
post clears.

>b-b-buhh
post clears

>> No.9404261

>>9404202
Kek, this fag thought he was still arguing with me all night. Definition of rent-free.

>> No.9404262

>>9404253
>>9404254
This you? ---

>>9402906
>I almost have more no-miss run in the last few months than that clown has had in his 15 years on YouTube.

youre the absolute retard who thinks his slug1 , contra1, UN squadron shit clears make him better than Juno and Pasky
LMFAOOOOOOOOOO

>> No.9404265

who is more delusional the shit-clear anon or the boomer who thinks credit feeding console ports is superior to playing on Mame?
it's a tough one

>> No.9404269

>>9404262
>25 nomiss clears over 15 years vs. 21 nomiss clears in 3 months
holy cope.

I don't know what's more pathetic, you're either shilling your shitty little youtube channel or simping for some literally who youtuber.

>> No.9404294

>>9398597
The PS1 port of MSX is pretty good, of course it's watered-down in terms of graphics and sound but it has all the content the arcade game has and then some more.
Also
>Buy MS3 for PS1 for the third time
>It's IN THE HUNT again...

>> No.9404304

>>9404265
shitclear anon is actually delusional, the boomer guy was mostly ignorant and uninformed

>>9404269
>>9404229
>suggestions to play?
Final Fight [double hardest setting - 8/8 and 4/4] no miss Guy

Kaiser Knuckle 1cc (Hardest setting) (including boss General)

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon [hardest setting] no miss

Slug 3 [Hardest] No Miss

>> No.9404350
File: 162 KB, 941x481, diff.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9404304
>Kaiser Knuckle 1cc (Hardest setting) (including boss General)
>""clearing"" fighting games
lmao

>Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon [hardest setting] no miss
literally no one gives a shit about this game at all.

>Final Fight [double hardest setting - 8/8 and 4/4] no miss Guy
May go for a Final Fight no death clear eventually (not sure on dip switches), but I don't really play much beat em ups. I will probably do Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and AvP no death clears first, never really cared much for beat em up games with convoluted combinations using few buttons (too similar to fighting games)

>Slug 3 [Hardest] No Miss
Already planned (along with 2, 4, maybe 6), but just playing Level 4.

If I was going for a difficult clear, I would rather do something like 1944, Strikers 1945 2-ALL, Sonic Wings 2-ALL, Castlevania no sub no death, NG no magic no death, Tiger Heli 2-ALL no death, Super Contra Arcade 2-ALL no death.

Anyways, here is how I would rate the difficulties of the clears out of 10.

>> No.9404371

>>9404350
You haven't cleared anything remotely hard and still no uploads to verify or view.

>Slug1 at 7/10
More like 3.5/10, other than the bridge section it has no difficult spots.
My first Slug1 1cc was no miss and it took me a couple days...you are beyond delusional dude, stop talking and start playing.

>> No.9404373

>>9404350
also beating a game with no deaths or some other restriction (no bombs, no magic, no subweapons, etc.) is significantly more difficult than just getting a 1CC as it requires a much more consistent level of play and forces you to learn every section in a very low-risk method.

Most 1CCs you can die like a half dozen or more times and still bruteforce your way through the game no problem. The only exception in which 1CCs are actually hard is games with extremely difficult second loops or games where a death is essentially a runkiller anyways.

>> No.9404378

>>9404350
>metal slug 1: 7
Total NGMI on doing any of those things you said you're going to do.

>> No.9404382

>>9404371
>still haven't posted clears
into the trash your opinion goes.

>dude I can get a no-miss clear with only a few days of practice XD
ok so then you should have literally hundreds of no-miss clears. Now post them :)

>>9404378
Metal Slug 1 no-miss is a 7, but that's also because I didn't copy any strategies. 1CC would probably be like a 4, and with copymonkeying 1CC would be a 2.

>> No.9404384

>>9404350
>>Kaiser Knuckle 1cc (Hardest setting) (including boss General)
>>""clearing"" fighting games
>lmao
Kaiser knuckles last boss, the General, is infamously hard. In Japan fighting game players would line up and try to clear the game, they have tournaments that include it, and for hours and hours pros would get routinely btfo. It's entertaining to watch. Now the game has a reputation among arcade fans, so clearing it is actually a pretty cool achievment

>> No.9404386

>>9404382
>copymonkeying
Term used exclusively by coping scrubs. Research and knowledge are a good thing.

>> No.9404409

>>9404386
>>9404371
>>9404378
Yep not looking good for shitclear anon

>>9404382
I play shmups for score, https://youtu.be/RQpgsqhWO1Y

But I recommended non-shmups because they are more attainable challenges for newer players. You should listen to more experienced players rather than jumping to conclusions so fast

>> No.9404410

>>9404386
Or just play the game and learn instead of turning entertainment media into homework.

>> No.9404416

>>9404409
>listen to my oppions as an expert on how you are supposed to actually enjoy your leisure activities

Its probably for the best that arcades died out. They already caused enough long-term mental defects.

>> No.9404430

>>9404416
My post wasn't about enjoyment or what counts as leisure. Are you confused or illiterate?
Shitclear anon asked for harder arcade game suggestions, and I gave him some. Then I added a tip, inexperienced players should consider the opinions of experienced players. Since his difficulty list and opinions about arcade challenges is just silly.

>> No.9404436

>>9404409
I would rather do clears for games I enjoy or that are not on YouTube using my own strategies as oppossed to having a semi-high score in shmups that have mostly been solved and require extreme muscle memory autism + copymonkeying to even be remotely competitive in terms of score.

I would consider a channel like PEG or iconoclast like 50x more impressive than yours. Because they have a wide breadth, mix of survival and score, come up with unique strategies in niche games, and for many of their games have the best run that is available publicly.

>> No.9404447

>>9404436
Seems like you would rather post about how you're going to do something impressive rather than actually do it. Then when someone actually has done something cope about it.

>> No.9404454

>>9404436
If you told PEG or iconoclast slug1 is a 7/10 difficulty theyd probably shit themselves from laughter. I'm not telling you what to play or how to practice, I didn't even recommend shmups or scoring. You asked for some harder challenges and I gave you a bunch here: >>9404304
Mainly because I thought you said arcade games are shallow and not actually hard, well that's totally wrong.

>Your channel q
Not sure what you're point is comparing my channel to Iconoclasts lol. Im only interested in a tiny selection of shmups and I focus on them. I don't upload 1ccs or find them interesting anymore.

Anyway tldr:
Go make a channel and get some hard clears before you discuss arcade game depth and difficulty.

>> No.9404457

>>9404447
Sounds like no one ITT has posted any clears except from me, and those are literally just in the past couple months lmao. I will have another probably dozen or so clears by the end of the year, many of them with no publicly available replays.

Also it's like Schrodinger's clear. They are "impressive" until I actually complete them, then they are actually shit clears. Similar to how people talk big shit ("oh, I completed Metal Slug without any deaths two days after playing it for the first time ever" LMAO), yet never post any replays ever, despite the fact that if any of it was as easy as they like to act, they should have literally hundreds if not thousands of clears.

>> No.9404469

>>9404454
Slug 1 is not a 7/10 difficulty, getting a no-miss clear in it was a 7/10 difficulty for me as my first Slug game learning all the mechanics of the game and coming up with my own strategies. That's not even remotely unreasonable at all, and most people would say all the Slugs games are very difficult to clear let alone no-miss, although the first is the easiest (aside from the handheld games), but you learn the future games quicker once you know the general mechanics of the series.

Based on what I've played (have most of them mastered aside from the Mothership boss and a few sections), X and 2 no-miss clears would be a 8/10 and 9/10.

>> No.9404479

>>9404469
You've been saying you're going to beat Metal Slug 2 for months now.

>> No.9404487

>>9404479
I haven't played Metal Slug 2 for months. Not beat, no-miss clear.

>> No.9404498

>>9404487
You won't do either.

>> No.9404502

>>9404409
>retard with exactly zero no-miss clears
>retard with exactly zero action, beat 'em up, run n gun, or platforming clears
imagine thinking your opinion matters at all. I swear shmuptards are braindead

>> No.9404504

>>9404304
>Final Fight [double hardest setting - 8/8 and 4/4] no miss Guy
Brother that would be a 30/10 on his difficulty list, since Slug 1 no miss already has the lofty 7/10 rank.

>> No.9404518

>>9404502
shmups are harder

>> No.9404519

>>9404504
ScoopArcade has done both and considers it 9.8, as hard as Mystic Warriors no death clear (Japan, easiest version). Rating a no-death clear of a Metal Slug game any lower than 7 would be disingenuous imo, as it's the hardest retro run and gun game by a significant margin, aside from maybe both loops of Super Contra. Post your no-death clears for the Metal Slug games, oh wait you don't have them.

>> No.9404520

>>9404504
lol true

>> No.9404523

>>9404518
Not when you aren't even doing remotely optimized runs. You have zero no-miss clears and are not even anywhere remotely close to top scores in these games. It's just a run without merit, it serves no purpose as it's an objectively worse run than dozens and dozens of others out there.

>> No.9404545

>>9404519
You're so delusional dude, metal slug 1 no miss 7/10 difficulty lmfao absolutely mental scrub opinion

Gonna link this thread to some friends and see what they say. I remember pasky telling me slug1 is boring because it's piss easy game and far easier than qthe others and this doofus thinks it's a 7/10 hard lol

>> No.9404550

>>9404545
>still no clears posted
zzzzzz

curious to how many of the Metal Slug games you've even beat without dying. Prob zero

>> No.9404559

>>9404550
The shmup guy posted actual clears replays that btfo everything in your screenshot lmfao you posted a folder screenshot and are asking me for replays fuxkingidiot

>> No.9404567

>>9404269
>21 nomiss clears in 3 months
Good indicator that they were easy shit don't fool yourself kid still haven't posted 1 replay just a screenshot lmfao at this loser poser shitter

>> No.9404573

Yes Ric is shitclear anon

>> No.9404576

>>9404559
Yet zero no-miss clears, zero hi scores remotely close to WR, and zero clears of any other genre lmao.

Neither of the clowns acting like Slug 1 no-miss is a cakewalk have posted any clears.

>b-b-but your clears are fake because they're thumbnail previews!!!
>b-b-but even if they were real they would be shit!!
>n-n-no I won't post any clears for r-r-reasons!!!
this is just pathetic at this point

>> No.9404638

Metal Slug 1 is good but too easy imo. It took me 3 or 4 days to clear it and luckily it was a no-miss clear. Not sure what rating I'd give it now? Below 5 difficulty probably.
https://youtu.be/pAV7pWQXluQ

>> No.9404673
File: 395 KB, 640x348, lc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9404638
>clear from a year and a half ago
>bragging in your description about needing only "a few days of practice"
>still bragging about that same exact thing now
>still no other Metal Slugs cleared
LMAO, is this like the biggest accomplishment in your life or something? That's kinda sad bro..

>> No.9404678

>>9404673
I see on his channel he also did Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts which is much harder than Metal Slug 1.

>> No.9404684

>>9404678
It was just a 1CC, not no-miss, so no Metal Slug 1 no-miss is harder.

>> No.9404687

>>9404684
>Metal Slug 1 no-miss is harder
It's not even close to doing a no death of Super GnG on professional.

>> No.9404689

>>9404638
based pulstar enjoyer
shitclear anon btfo yet again lol

>>9404673
He also said Ghouls n Ghosts took him 3 weeks to 1cc, so he was probably surprised Metal Slug no miss came so quick

>> No.9404720

Everyone who posted in this thread is a homo erotic, including myself.

>> No.9404725

>>9404687
Can you even read you fucking retard? Contra Hard Corps hitless is harder than that anyways.

>>9404689
Blazing Star no slowdown is way harder to beat no-miss.

>> No.9404734

>>9404725
>Contra Hard Corps hitless is harder than that anyway
You have quite literally no idea what you are talking about.

>> No.9404742

>>9404725
>Contra Hard Corps hitless is harder than that
how would you know that shitclear anon?you haven't done both, and still posted no replays of anything lol

>> No.9405376
File: 19 KB, 333x333, th-3513152846.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9404519
>>9404382
>metal slug 1 nomiss is a 7/10 hard
time to find another hobby!

>> No.9405805

>>9405376
How many times are you going to samefag? Aren't you more than a bit embarrassed by how you're acting? You act like the game is such a joke yet you are still bragging for over a year and a half about your Metal Slug 1 clear? You act like the game is such a joke yet you still haven't cleared any other Metal Slug games? Lmao, it's just impossible to take you are serious.

On the off-chance you are not trolling and are just mentally ill: Metal Slug is by far the hardest run and gun franchise there is. It's substantially harder to beat deathless than any other run and gun. 1 is the easiest of the mainline entries, but still a significant challenge compared to vast majority of Arcade games and any other run and gun game, especially when going for a deathless run. The rest of the Metal Slug games would be around 8-9.5 difficulty to do deathless.

>> No.9405929

>>9405805
The only hard part of Metal Slug 1 is that trash bridge section at the end where you have to know exactly the right order to kill the enemies you just get fucked.

>> No.9405950

>>9405376
MS1 nomiss is difficult because it has the last level throwing everything at you at the same time in a few sections. The rest of the game is pretty easy (you can kill most bosses in maybe 3 seconds due to there not being any limit to throwing grenades out of a metal slug), and if you just go for 1CC it is even easier.

Metal Slug X is also easy, as I recall the only difficult part is the platforming part with the mummies (if you go for the hidden items), and the insane last stage. The final boss is pretty difficult if you lose a life on the last stage, but if you didn't, you should have 50+ grenades at that point making it far easier.

MS3 is only annoying because it gives me carpal tunnel by the time I finish it.

MS4 is easy as long as you advance very slowly and always clear the stage before progressing. Otherwise you trigger too many incoming enemies and get flooded. The game logic was changed circa MS3 so normal soldiers can sponge 3-4 pistol shots after they die, so if you get flooded by foot soldiers they WILL overwhelm you easily in MS4. So you have to advance slowly, or use grenades, but then you won't have enough 'nades for tanks/bosses.

MS5 I barely remember any more, it has a couple of mildly annoying parts like the upward stairs in the tubes, or the sandmarine boss, but otherwise I don't remember it being particularly hard.

>> No.9405958

>>9405929
Nah, there's a lot of sections you can easily die like Allen, stage 5, stage 6 on the boat, or just a random grenade from being careless. Also knowing things like crouching in the tank can actually dodge shots or the grenade spam glitch trivializes a large part of the game; I didn't really know those until shortly before completing my no-death run (hell, for a while I was trying to kill the final boss on foot, didn't think to bring the Slug all that way).

Definitely way harder than any of the Contra games or any other run and gun (aside from other Metal Slug games obv) to do hitless. 2/X seems to be similar, with all the difficulty mostly only being in the last stage and somewhat in the second to last stage. I'm thinking for the final boss, I had the wrong approach, you basically have to go to into it with 80+ grenades plus the heavy machine gun from the POW, which then allows you to spam kill phase one with grenades and then start phase two with a heavy machine gun plus grenades. I genuinely don't think you can consistently do phase two with just a pistol and no grenades; you are just way too dependent on RNG for weapon drops and saucer movement/shot trajectory. But yeah 2/X seems very manageable and not a huge step up from 1 if you are able to prep for the final boss properly.

Would probably go do 4 or 6 next, as I find 3 to be overly bloated garbage and I hate the slide in 5.

>> No.9405961

>>9405958
The Contra games have way better controls and design though.

>> No.9405970

>>9405961
No, I don't think so. Metal Slug is better in nearly every way, even though the Contra games are great. Really the only thing I prefer about Contra is how much the games change and play totally different between entries while Metal Slug games all feel pretty samey. Although Metal Slug does have technical annoyance like autofire not being default, slowdown, and 30fps; emulation fixes two of those though and 30fps is not a big deal as long as you aren't playing one of the laggy ports.

>> No.9405980

>>9405970
All the bosses in Metal Slug that aren't Allen are stationary bulletsponges you spam bombs at. Whenever the game gets hard the solution is to crawl through the level to avoid being killed by random projectiles. It's pretty obnoxious design.

>> No.9405981

>>9399357
>Its like a 16bit home port of an arcade game, with slightly different rules so you cant credit feed, except it has none of the downgrades like those versions had.
based

>> No.9405984

>>9405805
>>9405805
>How many times are you going to samefag?
Not him but, lets recap. There's at least 4 or 5 people in this thread that have been blowing you the fuck out besides me, two posted replays, you haven't posted any replays. Prales, who is light years beyond your skill level, disagrees with you. And Vrocs guy who nomissed Slug 1 and has the replay disagrees with you, he was surprised it was so easy. Couple other anons disagree with you as well. I don't have a youtube but I've played Slug1 and know its not difficult not even close to 7/10. I also talked to lots of arcade players and they agree.

Maybe it's a 7/10 for you, at your skill level, given what little you've done...but it's totally not objective or reasonable with the arcade difficulty list to call it 7/10.

>> No.9405990

>>9405980
The bomb spam is a glitch. There are quite a few sections where you have to do a specific sequence quickly, but yeah for the most part, it does reward slower play. I don't really think that's an issue though, I find it satisfying to hunker down against hordes of enemies and try to find the best pathing through it. Contra bosses (pre-16bit) literally just die in seconds while you stand in one spot and the levels between are mostly just monster closets of trash mobs. I guess they have very conflicting design styles, which is probably for the best.

>>9405984
>I don't have a youtube but I've played Slug1 and know its not difficult not even close to 7/10. I also talked to lots of arcade players and they agree.
LMAO. More useless opinions from the peanut gallery. Post replays or fuck off moron. Slug 1 is just one of my almost two dozens clears in the past few months, and I am close to finishing around a half dozen more, quite a few of them with no publicly available recording.

>"I think the game is easy because some nebulous unnamed people said so"
just laughable. pure fucking delusion from an absolute simpleton who has not the slightest clue of the subject matter at all

>> No.9405992

>>9405990
>I find it satisfying to hunker down against hordes of enemies and try to find the best pathing through it
You find it satisfying to luck your way through games?

>> No.9406000

>>9405984
You haven't completed a single Contra or Metal Slug game without dying. Why would you think anyone in this thread cares about your opinion at all?

>> No.9406002

>>9405990
>Post replays or fuck off moron.
You haven't posted any clears. Yet we have people post clears, including Slug 1 refuting you point by point.

>I'm getting dozens of clears in couple months
Which indicates they aren't hard games not even remotely 7/10s none of them.

We have very different definitions of difficulty. You're almost tapped out by a Slug 1 no miss, something people can do in a few days lol

>> No.9406013

>>9406002
You haven't completed a single Contra or Metal Slug game without dying. Why would you think anyone in this thread cares about your opinion at all?

>here is my opinion as someone who has zero experience or clears of my own and I th-
no one cares.

>> No.9406014

>1ccfag's autism is flaring up again

>> No.9406019

>>9406013
>still no replays proving his runs
lets see that handcam footage big boy maybe it'll explain why you find easy games so so difficult lol

>> No.9406023

I Downloaded ms anthology for the ps2 with the 240p hex edit and as far as I can tell MSX runs flawlessly

>> No.9406026

>>9406019

I already posted my clears here >>9404116

>> No.9406029

>>9406013
Explain how Vrocs no missed Slug 1 in ''3 or 4 days'' saying it was easier than he expected, while Ghouls n Ghosts took him 3 weeks to 1cc. Does that mean Ghouls and Ghosts 1cc is like 10/10 difficulty? And Ghouls n Ghosts no miss would be maybe 13/10?

>>9406026
>screenshot of a folder is proof
Sorry we can't verify those runs are real or see your alleged ''handcam'' footage. Try again! Until then you have a total of 0 clears and 0 support for your claims

>> No.9406036
File: 493 KB, 600x597, li.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9406029
>Until then you have a total of 0 clears
hey, that's the same number as you!

>> No.9406050

>>9406026
Seek help.

>> No.9406054

I cant believe you faggots are still arguing about this autism.

>> No.9406074

>>9406026
>Why would you think anyone in this thread cares about your opinion at all?
Because they agree with me and disagree with you lol. The guys who posted replays debunked you.

Go 1CC something hard and post a replay, until then you're ratings are totally mental and subjective.

>> No.9406139

1cc players are mentally ill lol just look at this thread

>> No.9406160

>>9406139
I've never read the Doom threads but the shader, mister, shmup and racing threads all full of these same posters making those threads unbearable to read.

>> No.9406181

Almost ready to do Metal Slug 2 1cc runs
just need to figure out the last stage and boss better

>> No.9406453
File: 85 KB, 80x80, PENIS.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You guys interested in doing a little /vr/ metal slug chart cataloguing which ports offer different features?
You know like saying:
> MS1 PSX port offers
> 240p
> combat school
> slowdowns
> different music
On and on for all the different versions. Which are obviously a lot and hard to track.

I'm a graphic design fag so I can make it pretty. I'm asking this because I want to know it myself, but I'm not sure where I can even get all this information, and if you nignogs can stop shitposting for a second and condense your autism into a productive goal we can make this together.

>> No.9406481

>>9406453
I would be cool but unfortunately I don't really know any differences. The only ones I've played are MSX on PSX, Antho on Wii and ACA copies on Switch.

>> No.9406485

>>9406160
You vill read my autistic text walls about Tokyo Extreme Racer and you vill like it

>> No.9406873

>>9406453
The Neo Geo CD ports of 1&2 are where the combat school originates.

>> No.9408509

>>9406453
The best version with most features is AES with UNIBIOS.

The only advantage of any port is just for 1 and 2 only on the CD, as you get combat school, Vulcan fix, and Slug Attack rebind, but the input lag and no way to reduce slowdown make it not even worth it at all.