[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 114 KB, 1024x768, 111111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
939050 No.939050 [Reply] [Original]

Is castlevania a game with legit difficulty? By this, I mean is it difficult because of stupid reasons like bad stiff controls and whatnot? I guess another way of asking this question is: Does Castlevania have artificial difficulty?

I myself recently bought the NES version and I'm noticing why this game has a reputation for being hard as hell. Just beat death, never gonna go through that hall of medusa heads again.

>> No.939057

The controls are fine. If they wanted to make them smoother they would have.

Difficulty is pretty fair throughout, except for the last boss there is one point of "artificial" difficulty : having to replay through a good share of the stage to reach the boss again.

>> No.939075

It's full of this

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/10-fake-difficulty-is-real/

>> No.939078

All game difficult is artificial difficulty. Perhaps you mean "boring difficulty", eg. grinding, in which case no, Castlevania does not have boring difficulty.

>> No.939083

>>939078
No. Difficulty is where you die, and it's entirely your fault. Fake difficulty is where a game throws complete bullshit at you in sheer violation of its "rules" of common sense.

Perfect example of fake difficulty: I Wanna Be The Guy

>> No.939085

The controls are intentionally stiff, to give you the feeling of being just being some guy, up against legions of horrors, surviving by the skin of his teeth. It isn't a flaw.

>> No.939086

I don't think there's any problem with the controls. If you want to hit something above you, just jump and whip. I found Super Castlevania IV to be more annoying, because you would constantly lash out a limp whip if you didn't press the d-pad in a diagonal angle just right, and the enemy would just brush it off and ram you.

>> No.939087

>bad stiff controls

stop with this shit, the game controls fine

>> No.939106

The whip and jump mechanics in Castlevania are very intentional. The entire game is designed around the way they function. If you could adjust mid-jump or whip in other directions, it would be a cakewalk.

>> No.939109

I don't mind "artificial difficulty". I Want to be The Guy, is a fun game.

>> No.939112

I use guides and save states like a massive casual but I can say, Castlevania doesn't have stiff controls. Hell, I absolutely hate Ghosts n Goblins (I like Ghouls and Super Ghouls), I think it's one of the worst games ever made, but I can't agree on one thing that's commonly criticized about it: the controls. Just because you can't change direction during a jump doesn't mean the game suck. In a way, it is more "realistic" (not that realism matters here), it's not that "stiff jumps" are harder, it's just that "gravitational jumps" make platforming easier. It's an "easing mechanic".

>> No.939117

>>939112

So what exactly makes it one of the worst games ever made?

>> No.939120

>>939117
That you have to beat it twice.

>> No.939125

>>939120

Troll harder.

>> No.939131

>>939117
It feels like a misanthropic retard designed the levels. I also played the PlayStation version, based on the Arcade version, which is a lot harder than the NES version most people played. As I said, the sequels are fun, even (or at least) while cheating. But I can't think of a single good thing about GnG. It just suck.

>> No.939135

>>939125
I'm dead serious. After pulling your hair to beat it once. Now you have to do it again. No goddess bracelet or special armor. In one sitting.

>> No.939139

>>939131
Ghouls n' Ghosts arcade is the best one.

>> No.939153

>>939131

So it's the worst game ever made because it's... hard?

>>939135
Lot's of arcade games have a second loop, or they loop forever. How is that a bad thing? Are you actually playing the game so you can see the conclusion to more or less non-existent story?

>> No.939165

>>939139
Dang! That game is loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLkSmarjEhg

>> No.939173

>>939153
It's not the worst, it's ONE of the worst. And it's not just the difficulty, that's hardly a big issue especially since I don't mind cheating anyway. But Ghouls and Super Ghouls are also hard and their much, much better.

>> No.939189

>>939173

You're being silly now. There are tons of games out there that are just complete garbage. Ghosts 'n Goblins is at least well designed and implemented. You don't have to like it, but please spare me the hyperbole.

>> No.939223

>>939050
The first Castlevania is a great game. The controls aren't terribly stiff as much as they demand a sense of rhythm which can be mastered in a couple plays.

The game does not have difficulty that I would consider artificial (how I understand it, challenge derived from hardware and software issues; if the game does not even get past the title screen because of poor programming, it is a challenge which transcends what the player can achieve with the tools that are required to play a game). The game gets the inputs from the controllers right, and there are strategies to beat bosses and levels fairly consistently. The first Castlevania is a classic.

>> No.939224

>>939173
IMO Super Ghouls is the worst one out of the three. The pace is slow as fuck and the mechanics are a step backwards from Ghouls (no shooting up or down) while level design is even more unforgivable than the previous games.

>> No.939230

>>939224
I agree with this. Super Ghouls literally feels like you're playing an obstacle course. Ghouls Arcade is my favorite.

>> No.939254

>>939224

Super Ghouls is far and away my favorite (to each his own).

I wouldn't say the mechanics are a step backward, though, but more of a step sideways. They took away the directional firing, but added a double jump, too (which is what makes the game my personal favorite; I fucking love the double jump).

>> No.939268

>>939224
I hated how Super had slowdowns, and it just felt clunkier.

Ghouls on Mega Drive looked good and was butter smooth. Fuck yeah Blast Processing.

>> No.939279

>>939050
>Is castlevania a game with legit difficulty?
The original, yes. It's one of the most balanced and fair games. Even the supposedly unfair segments like medusa heads and the Death bossfight are logical, intelligent and free of glitches. Most importantly, the game is completely free of difficulty spikes. It gets steadily harder until it's very tough, but it does so gracefully. You may pussy out at the fleaman boss, but at least you wouldn't be surprised by it.

II is, obviously, very flawed in many respects. It isn't as hard as it's confusing due to questionable, dated game design. It's enjoyable, it's ridiculously atmospheric (you travel the monster-infested countryside, visit towns, crawl vampire manors, werevolf cave systems and stuff), has some of the ebst music in the series, but gameplay is uneven.

III is, for the most part, fair, but has a few uneven, annoying segments that put it below the original. It has more content, more and beter everything, the gimmicks are amazing, but there are spikes, there's questionable design in a few spots. The game's 90% fair, so to say.

IV, Rondo and 68k are somewhat formulaic in their difficulty curves. They're never outright unfair, but some segments are quite questionable. For example, IV's bosses are all completely stupid - you jsut spam the whip with no thought at all for the most part - simply be sure to come with enough HP; never a thing in I or III.

SotN is too easy. Unevenness is invisible under the lack of challenge.

>> No.939287

>>939131
Evaluating Makaimura with save-states is like evaluating football on a steamroller. You ahve no idea what GnG is unless you've played it properly.

The arcade version fo the original is much better than the home console versions, yes. The game is incredibly challenging, but it's never cheap. You only die if you make a mistake. It's very easy to make mistakes, but the game never glitches out or cheap-shots, and controls are enver a problem.

>> No.939295

>>939230
Super Ghouls, Ghouls Arcade, what the fuck are you talking about? There are two arcade games.

Anyway, of course SGnG/Chomakaimura feels like an obstacle course. It's a video game. It IS an obstacle course by definition. What were you expecting, a free-running toy like Assassin's Creed? What's important is that SGnG is one of the better, challenging yet fair obstacle courses in obstacle course history.

>> No.939306

>>939050

Artificial difficulty:

A challenge where the outcome is not determined by player skill, but based purely on luck.

A platformer where an ememy spawns to knock you off a ledge immediately after you land on it.

You die when it hits you unless the game rarely causes you to move back less when hit.

You cannot cause it to spawn sooner or later. You cannot hit it in time to stop it. You cannot avoid the hit at all.

This is an example of true artificial difficulty. Your choices are meaningless because no difference in playing matters. You live or die purely on luck.

>> No.939309
File: 66 KB, 512x449, 1119249_m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>939306
>I just invented a definition for a made-up non-concept. Here it is:

>> No.939316

If you thought Castlevania 1 is hard, 3 will crush you. It's MUCH harder, like a whole new level harder.

I've beaten part 1 a week ago and I'm now on 3, it's very good and fun but I can't play it for more than 1 hour or so a day or I burn out.

Controls in NESvanias isn't bad, in fact it's pretty good - it rewards player skill as well as level memorization. My only problem is that the Belmont guy is way too sensitive to ladders (like, 1.5 blocks away you'll still walk up/down instead of crouching).

>> No.939319

>>939306
Just call it "unfair".

"Artificial difficulty" is a retarded and unnecessary misnomer. All difficulty in video games is artificial.

>> No.939328

>>939316
>If you thought Castlevania 1 is hard, 3 will crush you. It's MUCH harder, like a whole new level harder.
I disagree. I don't think it is. It's just longer.

>> No.939348

>>939050
>bad stiff controls

The controls in that game are perfect.

>> No.939360

>Artificial difficulty

Suddenly this term is all over this board; where the hell did it come from?

>> No.939368

>>939360
Summerfag scrubs

>> No.939372

>>939328
My personal feeling... The supposedly hardest parts in 1 are: Hallway of Death, Death, Dracula. Hallway is beaten easily once you figure out where to stand so you can spam boomerang without getting hit by medusa heads (I figured it out on second-third try). Death is a matter of survival - you come to it with full health, stand your ground and you'll just out-damage it with boomerangs (died 2-3 times). Dracula is very hard at start, but you start right before him every time you die so you will have a LOT of opportunity to practice and beat him (died 20+ times at start, but not a big deal as it's just him you fight at the start of the stage).

Now, 3... Where do I start. Checkpoints are much further apart from one another, giving you a lot less time to practice. Items are a LOT harder to find and holy water has been nerfed. Ladder hell is now upped to the max. Only 2 lives. Die to Dracula without lives - start the stage all over again. There aren't any particular impossible spots, but it just demands *constant*, constant focus all the time which is draining your will, very much unlike 1 that had shorter stages and was easier to memorize ... just like Belmont must feel. Despair, hopelessness - the atmosphere of Castlevania! Good times.

>> No.939373

>>939360
Couple years ago on /v/. It originally just referred to games with lazy difficulty scaling. You know, just increasing enemy health and damage. But of course everyone forgot that already.

>> No.939382

>>939373
Yeah, it's quickly joining terms like hipster and marysue in simply meaning "stuff I don't like."

Or in this case perhaps, "stuff I can't beat."

>> No.939398

>>939306
>>939083
FAKE DIFFICULTY IS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL
DIDN'T YOU READ THE AMAZING ARTICLE ABOUT IT?

>> No.939593

>>939083
I would agree with you that IWBTG is shit and full of stupid difficulty, but considering it's supposed to be an exercise in stupid masochism, it's surprisingly in tune with its own horrible set of rules. Ignoring the idea that the designer thought that his game was an emulation of old game masochism (maybe some shitty games of old, but hardly any real classics featured such design), it's surprisingly 'real' in the sense that it's supposed to be stupid.

Note that I'm not defending it in any way, because just because you're pretending to be retarded doesn't mean that you're actually not retarded.

>> No.939940

>>939287
That's a horrible, senseless analogy. Also, I can't properly analyze it because I didn't rage hard enough with it?

And GnG on Arcade has an undeniably cheap moment, the classic, harder revision, also used on PS1 release, has two of those ogres near the start of the last level, after climbing a stair, that are literally impossible to beat or to avoid without losing your armor.

>> No.939960

>>939050
>Natural Difficulty
This is when the only impediment to your progress is your own skill level. Imagine hitting a baseball that is coming straight at you, and it gets faster each time. Your own eye hand coordination is the only real limit to how many baseballs you can hit.

>Artificial difficulty
These are unfair or unnatural impediments like purposely bad or slow clunky controls(Superman 64), save points that are forty miles apart with no quick save option(Turok 2), or random things that can kill in one hit and you have no control over and no way to block(Mario RPG). Imagine a baseball that not only comes at you faster and faster, but comes at you from different random angles each time. And every time you miss, you are transported to the parking lot and have to walk back to the plate.

>> No.939969

>>939173
So you're a filthy casual who can't beat the game without cheating, so you call it bad.

>> No.939976

As long you believe there is such a thing as "artificial difficulty" you will never be a great gamer.

As far as Castlevania goes, there's not even any challenge complex enough to require serious thoughtful analysis. The challenge is all straightforward and the player should immediately see what he did wrong when he dies.

Right now, the game I'm playing is Zelda 2. It's hard and I remember, when I was a child, believing it was simply impossible but now as an adult I have critical thinking skills I lacked then and I can comprehend the techniques I need to master the execution of.

Don't be a child. By giving up, you're only disappointing yourselves.

>> No.940027
File: 141 KB, 1225x706, arino kidding.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>939960
Oh my fucking FAIL.

>save points that are forty miles apart with no quick save option(Turok 2)
Confirmed emulator baby who can't keep his hands off the F keys.

>random things that can kill in one hit and you have no control over and no way to block(Mario RPG)
You know, you can admit you suck at a game. Everyone has things they aren't good at.

>> No.940036

So what's the difference between fake difficulty and artificial difficulty?

>> No.940037

>>939960
>you have no control over and no way to block(Mario RPG).

You lost me right there. You can block almost ANYTHING for 0 damage. Ever seen a speed runner or a low level run? You can break the game with that. Maybe you should stick to games you know about, not the ones that you play for 5 mins then quit. You can also get unlimited items the same way as hitting the button at the right time give you a freebie. It isn't random.

>> No.940040

>>940037
>freebies are timed, not random

Awesome, I had no idea.

>> No.940054

>>939050
I'd say that it's a mix. It's a well-designed game, especially for the time, but the controls are pretty rancid compared to 16-bit and later games in the series. The stiff jumping and slow movement definitely make the game harder than it would have been with a Super Castlevania IV-style control scheme.

>> No.940056

>>940040
Took me years later to discover that myself. It is amazing when blocking, attacking, special attacks, and freebies are all using timed hits but you only get told about attacks and most players guess at the special attack around the time Mario learn that fireball attack.

It felt like the whole game was made to encourage experimentation and exploring and reward you for it. Geno Whirl was great when I first discovered it's special timed hit ability. I could never get the boost timing right though and most of Geno's weapons are weird but I got used to the finger gun thingy and the star one.

>> No.940086
File: 64 KB, 1000x750, munX7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw there are actually people who think running out of lives and having to restart the game = artificial difficulty

Resource management (yes this includes lives) is the BEST kind of difficulty. Infinite lives encourages recklessness, which means you aren't really taking the challenges seriously, and ultimately diminishes the experience. It's why I couldn't enjoy THIS game, despite a phenomenal soundtrack and awesome platforming physics. With its infinite lives and frequent stopping points, Super Meat Boy is basically just like playing a really hard game with save states. Also the creator is a bodyspray.

>> No.940093

>>939050
The controls are limited in order to give the game a more slow paced gameplay where you have to plan before you act, and to encourage you to use secondary weapons. They are not flawed.

>> No.940102

>>940086
>the creator is a bodyspray.
Things only a nerd bird would say

>> No.940127

>>940102
All the time I hear people say "that guy's a douche" or "he's a tampon," well I could have called him a douche, but why does no one ever use male hygiene products as an insult?

>> No.940138

>>939050
The controls are great and the entire game (except for a few awful parts) are very carefully and very skillfully designed around the player's limited mobility in a very intuitive way. There's a couple of points where your deaths are going to be completely beyond your control (looking at you, randomly spawning mermen) but there's maybe two or three of those points in the game. The rest is very skill-based.

If you can't get over the controls, well, then the game's not for you.

>> No.940156

>>939050
I love Castlevania but I've always hated that picture because the way the sky ends up looking like a happy rainbow and with how goofy Dracula looks the whole thing ends up feeling like some kind of Count Chocula licensed game.

>> No.940162

>>940086

The one thing I don't understand about modern games is why they can't give you an option to play with lives and continues. Make it an optional difficulty setting, right next to the hardcore/roguelikeesqueish option and add a special cheevo for it. Has the benefit of forcing the devs to play fair and not use gotcha traps or other cheap tricks, deaths have to be earned and what you did to fuck up should be clear(hmm, what if a game tallied up everything that had hurt you/killed you and gave you tips on how to avoid those on the restart/game over screen?). Now, some people react poorly to fail states being punishing, but they don't have to turn the option on.

>>939360

Artificial difficulty is basically a misnomer, it's things that are time consuming and can't be mitigated by skill, basically they contradict a game's purpose, to imbue the player with the skills needed to beat it.
Trial and error rubbish, grinding for levels(i.e. your character's numbers go up but you're just spamming the same couple of moves and learning nothing), traps you can only know about by triggering them once, randomised outcomes.
Some people also add dodgy checkpoints and the like, but it's perfectly legit to expect consistency, and some game designs, such as FTL's, are made to punish systemic mistakes in your gameplan more so than a single error, so forcing you back to the start is legit.

The fundamental idea is that someone who was somehow a savant and knew everything about the game's controls but nothing about the specific levels would flow through the game like water. Knowing which of the two doors that doesn't kill you is only a skill if they can be told apart.
Of course, a big problem with the artificial difficulty debate is perception, and why a lot of older games are dinged for it, since they didn't have a lot of visual bandwidth to communicate and we didn't have an established language for communicating what the challenges were.

>> No.940191

>>940127
That guy's a wash cloth? That guy's a toothbrush?

>> No.940198

>>940191
Well those are unisex.

>> No.940262

The first game is very well balanced and tightly-designed. The most infamous part, the Medusa hallway, takes patience to come out of (rushing forward only brings death), and in the classic NES trilogy it seems always that the best way to deal with Medusas is to sort of plan your movement around their sine-wave pattern.

III is like the masochism edition of Castlevania I. I suppose people like using the Dark Souls analogy, but it really feels like one of those HARDCORE GAMES FOR HARDCORE GAMERZ - an ultra-difficult game for fans of the first looking for a monumental challenge. The adrenaline rush that came from beating the game the first time was one hell of a ride.

>> No.940305

>>940262
YESSSS!!! Castlevania 3 was everything that made Castlevania 1 great, but dialed up to eleven. Difficulty that just barely bordered on unfair, awesome music, awesome tough bosses, and the branching level structure was just brilliant. I think it might actually be the best NES game ever.

Also, the hallway before Death isn't that hard. Holy water is your friend. The hardest part of Castlevania 1 that isn't a boss is the beginning of level 4.

>> No.940337
File: 106 KB, 1000x1200, 6ball.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>939309
I can graze that, you just have to trust your hitbox
what has Touhou done to me? ;__;

>> No.940360

Some fighting games have this "artificial difficulty". Two of the WORST offenders are Mortal Kombat 2 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3,

In a genre where single-player AI is *supposed* to be designed to at least somewhat replicate playing against human opponent, the designers made it to where to AI simple read/reacts to player button inputs, going so far as to even perform move combination that are impossible for a player to perform (Kitana throwing 3 fans in a row, Jade running forward while doing repeated projectile invincibility, Scorpion throwing several spears in a row).

The main issue is the fact it forces players to find an AI exploit that just results in a "just keep spamming the pattern they fall for), severely limiting the gameplay and strategy which the single-player is supposed to be helping you with.

"Oh...just use Sindel's scream over and over...the CPU never blocks it" is not good gameplay. It's boring and broken.

>> No.940487

ITT: No one wants to admit that they stole this retarded term from TV Tropes.

>> No.940490

>>940360
And Kintaro can block all your attacks, and immediately counter with a throw. He's nearly impossible to knock down, he just tanks everything, jumps right at you, and throws you. Fuck Kintaro.

>> No.940491

>>940487
I didn't. I heard it from /v/ first.

The only TV Tropes term I regularly use is "Seinfeld is unfunny."

>> No.940493

>>940490
You can beat him by waiting for him to walk up to and use Kitana's fan lift. Otherwise, you just have to hope he just doesn't use certain moves at times.

That's about it. It's incredibly limiting, and isn't fun.

>> No.940494

I don't know what TV Tropes is and my same Kung Lao tactics that obliterate human opponents also obliterate the CPU.

>> No.940496

>>940360
>>940490
>>940493
>>940494
Play any SNK fighting game.
Get to the final boss.
You are guaranteed to die.

>> No.940503

>>940494
Explain in detail, please.

>> No.940504

>>940503
How can I explain in detail how I don't know what something is?

>>940496
KoF is another creature entirely. Omega Rugal is like the coolest thing ever.

>> No.940507

>>940504
I'm referring to your Kung Lao tactics.

>> No.940509

>>940507
Kung Lao just has dominance over the whole field. As long as you have good reaction and catch onto your opponents' philosophies quickly nowhere is safe. Jumpback dive kicks are especially tits and the computer falls for them even more frequently than real people do.

>> No.940519

>>940509
Mileena is especially punishing when you jump AT ALL. She immediately does a jumping sai throw (which you can't do without charging) .Kung Lao's jumpkick dives (even jumping backwards) repeatedly get blocked and the computer immediately uppercuts, even without ducking first (which is something no human player can do)

I'm also not sure which version of MK you're talking about , but this happens all the time in MK2, UMK3, and Trilogy.

>> No.940534

>>940519
You just have to have good reaction time. When you're playing a person and you jump back, if they do ANYTHING other than block you can immediately dive kick back at them and nail them. The computer does cheat by instablocking so you can't trust it in every circumstance but the computer also has a terrible habit of jumping after you any time you jump backwards. It does it like 80% of the time or more. Some characters dash instead but most of them jump and either way a dive kick nails them. It's also faster than the Mileena's jumping sai. Go ahead and try it out it's extremely reliable, especially against the computer.

>> No.940541

>>940534
>a terrible habit of jumping after you any time you jump backwards

Ah, you're referring to MK2.

Not every time. There's a specific pattern you need to use that loops them into a jumping pattern. This is another reason this game is so fucking broken, and you have to use exploits to win instead of actually playing like you're fighting a human-like AI

No player in their right mind would just keep jumping towards you. THIS is a perfect example of how shit the game is.

>> No.940542

>>940534
And no, it's not faster than Mileena's jumping sai unless you're right next to her. Otherwise, she's got full screen range, opposed to your short jump, angled kick.

>> No.940551

>>940542
You only use it when you're right up someone's ass and when you're using a teleporter it's really easy to get up someone's ass. A lot of people don't realize you can teleport blocking with Kung Lao.

>> No.940560

>>940541
Yeah he's still good in 3 but I don't like how they took away the projectile steering.

>> No.940589

I think artificial/fake difficulty is a valid term, a lot of people are just really stupid and use it at stupid times

its just for when something is difficult to overcome but its not actually challenging your skill, some stuff's been mentioned already

>fighting game AI that reads your inputs
>IWBTG-style gimmicky trial and error that the player couldn't possibly react to without knowing what to do beforehand

castlevania's difficulty is legit though, it presents everything it expects from you pretty clearly and design everything around your character's limitations (although I wouldnt call it fake difficulty, the last few levels of SCV4 are a really stupid difficulty balance)

>> No.940705

>>939940
They are avoidable (at least in the arcade version) if you just kill them quickly enough with rapid fire. It takes ridiculous amounts of effort to learn the rhythm and execute it flawlessly against the two son-of-a-bitches on each fucking floor, but it is possible.
In fact, after you have completely mastered fifth level, the whole game becomes much easier. The second level's house full of ogres is incredibly easy and you can kill most Red Arremers easily by baiting them to run towards you on ground (by simply walking near them) and then rapid firing their ass to oblivion.

>> No.940710

>>940705
>fifth level
Disregard that, I suck cocks, it's the sixth.

>> No.940717

>>940705
>implying daggers, obviously
real gng players can forget there's any other weapon

>> No.940723
File: 5 KB, 256x240, Akumajou Dracula (J)_001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone who complains about the difficulty should just play Easy mode.

>> No.940761

>>940717
That's not what I implied, buddy. In the sixth level you HAVE to use the shield/cross unless you want to play the fifth and sixth levels in an endless loop.
That's right, you need to master rapid fire with a weapon that has a piss poor range AND can only have two projectiles on screen at a time. This means that your timing needs to be absolutely perfect: too slow is obviously too slow, but if you press fire button faster than projectiles at screen disappear, your fire rate drops and that means you're gonna get your ass raped by second ogre.

If you could use the dagger, sixth level would be much, much easier. After breaking the "illusion", I actually kept my shield because you would still need to hunt it again for the final stage and I already got used to the rapid firing. Its bullet-blocking property was also pretty handy at times.

>> No.940778

>there will never be another good Castlevania game

Save us, Wayforward.

>> No.940781

>>940723
What's this? It's not the original Famicom AD.

>> No.940785

>>940778
The failure of and backlash against stuff like DmC taught the companies to move the supposedly-western-centric franchises back in-house. I think there are lots of signs the next Castlevania is going to be IGA-produced LoI/CoD type of thing + a SotN lookalike fo the 3DS again.

>> No.940786

>>940781

It's the ROM version.

>> No.940787

>>940786
What's a ROM version? It says "1993", was there a rerelease?

>> No.940794

>>940787
In Japan, the game launched as a FDS title. Near the end of the NES lifespan, they rereleased the game in regular cartridge form for whatever reason.

>> No.940795

>>940787
Plenty of FDS Games were rereleased as cartridge games later in the Famicom's life.

>> No.940804

>>940794
>>940795
Oh.

>> No.940810

>>940086
>Super Meat Boy is basically just like playing a really hard game with save states.

Are you saying you couldn't enjoy it because it's too easy?

>Also the creator is a bodyspray.

Douche chills.

>> No.940813

Fake difficulty is a term used by people who can't handle losing.

>> No.941006

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/when-difficult-is-fun
While i don't agree with them entirely, they have valid points about difficulty.