[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 163 KB, 1200x1525, 1200px-Virtual-Boy-Set[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9382878 No.9382878 [Reply] [Original]

The video on my Virtual Boy keeps breaking up (it never goes completely to shit but lines and artifacts keep showing up).

Should I bother to get it fixed or just use my HTC Vive to emulate the thing? Would certainly be cheaper but the experience of fixing it might be good to have.

>> No.9383229

It's not a hard fix. The ribbon cable has shit adhesive that ends up detaching. If you're handy with a soldering iron or know someone who is, you can permanently fix the issue. Even electrical tape can do the trick. The annoying part is just getting the fucker open. You need an extra long security bit.

>> No.9384216

>>9383229
>you can permanently fix the issue
its a temporary fix
the replacement "ribbon" is the final solution
its made by segasonicfan
src: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro/virtual-ribbon

do NOT attempt to service the unit yourself if you are unskilled, im an electrical engineer and i still technically ruined my 3D effect when replacing one of the failing eyes for an rgb mod

one small bump on the oscillating mirror housing and you will NEVER get it back how its supposed to be

if you cherish the 3D effect (not emulatable by the way) have a dingdong on ebay service it for you with the sonicfan parts for a final solution

i dont understand why nintendo doesn't rerelease everything with the labo-kit

>> No.9384337

>>9384216
>that ribbon cable is a temporary solution
>this ribbon cable is a permanent solution
kek
>im an electrical engineer
>i still fucked up my system attempting a simple mod
double kek
What a fucking goof.
SSF literally has a link to fixing the connection by baking the part on his site.