[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 94 KB, 570x500, shatterhand.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
938225 No.938225 [Reply] [Original]

Didn't own a lot of NES games as a kid so I've decided to make up for it by playing them now.

So what are some good (also lesser known) NES games?

>> No.938227

BattleCity

>> No.938228
File: 54 KB, 300x412, bucky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Basically megaman

>> No.938381

Check thist list
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/NES

I had added screenshots to 98% of the games in this list but the idiots running the site decided to take them out even though it totally made it easier to search and get an idea of what the games were like.

Anyway - if you like Shatterhand (one of my favourites) check out Zen The Intergalactic Ninja it's very unknown and rather hard but it's fantastic.

For action games I also recommend Shadow Of The Ninja, Batman, Journey To Silius, Metalstorm

for platformers : Mr Gimmick

>> No.938396

>>938381

Except its not YOUR wiki. It's everyone's. You still have to wait for approva, especially considering the NES' library. That page is already bloated as is. And to be fair, they've suffered from vandalsim from both 4chan and Reddit in the past.

>> No.938398

With help of kind Anons, I made a list of underrated platformers
http://pastebin.com/RxarJwWC

While it also has other consoles listed, the NES category is the longest one. Hope you'll find something good.

>> No.938403

Nightshade
its a great lesser known game.
It's like one of those point and click adventure games. and when you get into a battle it turns into a fighting game. it's pretty tough.

>> No.938410

MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK MR. GIMMICK

I am so sick of hearing about Mr. Bandwagon Bullshit. It's a completely average platformer, stop sucking Arino's miniscule Japanese penis. And that also goes for all you Boobyhara fans.

>> No.938412

>>938410

Except I found out about Umihara Kawase almost a decade ago on my own. And I couldn't give any fucks about Mr. Gimmick. It looks like a fun game, I guess, but I can't be assed to play it.

Go yell angry stuff at /v/.

>> No.938449

>>938410
>Arino

Who?

>> No.938451

Kickmaster is pretty cool !
If you like weird games... Captain Tsubasa 2 is pretty cool too, there's a translation patch avaible but you don't really need it to understand the game.

>> No.938456

>>938449
>Who?

I will never understand why people think this is a clever comeback.

>> No.938460

>>938410
Mr. Gimmick is far above average, mister. It really is as good as everyone says.

>> No.938491

Destiny of an Emperor for the NES. Plays a bit like dragon quest, pretty cool

>> No.938493

>>938396
Yeah boy fuck him for helping

>> No.938495

Vice: Project Doom
Shatterhand
Kabuki- Quantum Fighter
Batman
Gun Nac
Zanac
Legacy of the Wizard
Crisis Force
Maniac Mansion
TMNT 2 and 3 (not obscure, but in my experience people either just shit on the first game or praise the fourth and neglect these two very good games, especially the third one)

and yes I would also recommend Mr. Gimmick tyvm
actual overrated recommendations you might see: Metal Storm, Journey to Silius

>> No.938501

If you like puzzle games like Fire'n'Ice and Lolo Adventure, check out Moai Kun on FAMICOM.

>>938412
Kickmaster is a great action paltformer indeed!

>>938410
I've noticed that the people saying "stop sucking [reviewer name]'s cock" whenever you mention a game actually ARE the people who found out about the said game through the reviewers.
Why does it keep getting mentionned? Because for the longest time it was a very unknown game, because it's technically speaking impressive, and most importantly, because it's really fun.

>>938396
You don't understand. I added those screenshots back when the wiki got created, while also adding at least 1/3rd of the game and creating the famicom and romhacks sections (which would need updating really but considering they deleted most of my work I won't bother contributing again). The creators back then said the screenshots were a great idea and contribution back then; but now years later they decided to take them out for whatever reasons.
also
>bloated
that's exactly why screenshots were really useful to get a quicker better idea of what the games were like; because the NES has so many good games it helped a lot; or if you remembered a game but didn't remember the name you could quickly scroll and find it.

>> No.938506
File: 192 KB, 1600x1200, siliusromhack.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>938495
>actual overrated recommendations you might see: Metal Storm, Journey to Silius

Opinions man. Journey To Silius is one of my favourite NES game although I can see its flaws and why people would think it's overrated.
I like it so much I own both the NTSC-U and FAMICOM versions CIB as well as an old bootleg cart of it as well as the first very rare romhack of it which was only released on cart and only about 10-20 carts of it were made. pic related

so that's why I always mention it, I have full Silius OCD

>> No.938509

http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59

Buy this my friend.

>> No.938512
File: 58 KB, 420x315, guerilla war.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fun co-op top-down shooter. It's short and not difficult, but it's a fun hour-or-so of gameplay, especially with a friend.

And it has Che Guevara and Fidel Castro as your protagonists.

>> No.938529

>>938506

dang son

Well, I guess just let OP check it out and form his own opinion. Same with Metal Storm or ANYTHING ELSE REALLY

>> No.938664

>>938456
>I will never understand why people think this is a clever comeback.

Because it's not a clever comeback, it's an honest response. I have never heard of whoever-it-is's cock I am supposed to be sucking.

I-is it a nice cock?

>> No.938707

>>938664

Arino is the guy from Gamecenter CX, which is a reasonably entertaining show in which a Japanese man struggles through /vr/ games.

>> No.938949

>>938225
Bayou Billy, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Fester's Quest, The Last Action Hero, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, King's Quest V, Strider...

>> No.939123
File: 79 KB, 350x346, Sweet Home.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sweet Home.
Survival horror title that Capcom put out in 1989.
Started playing it last night and I'm just fucking loving it, it's got so much going for it considering how old it is.
Think all the defining Resident Evil elements (clearly drawn from this game, right down to the door opening sequence) with some RPG elements thrown in.

>> No.939130

>>938949
I liked Bayou Billy....

>> No.941789

>>938225

yeah.

>> No.941806

Crystalis
Faxanadu
Rygar
Kid Icarus
Deadly Towers

>> No.941880

double dragon II
you get to kick chicks in the ovaries.

>> No.941890

snake rattle n roll, isometric platformer

>> No.941901

>>938410
Keep this shit on /v/. Gimmick has been known for ages to be a fantastic game. Don't try to write it off with this bandwagon crap since you haven't played it. Keep posts like this on /v/.

>> No.941912

>>941806
>Deadly Towers
OH, YOU!

>> No.941920

>>941912
haha
The sad part is I actually "liked" the game, in a sadistic sort of way. The game is stupid hard but actually beating it felt meaningful as a kid.

>> No.941994
File: 47 KB, 620x269, ninja gaiden.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ninja Gaiden is the best NES game in my opinion.

>> No.942008

>clash at demonhead
>samurai pizza cats (needs fan-translation)
>getsu fuma den
>the sunsoft nes games
>bucky o'hare (plays like a pre-genesis Treasure game)
>adventures of lolo

>> No.942331

>>938707
>Japanese
>struggling at games

He's gotta be half Chinese or something.

>> No.943369

Power Blade 1 & 2
Golgo 13: Top Secret Mission
Kickmaster
Shadow of the Ninja
Kabuki: Quantum Fighter
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Monster Party
Phantom Fighter
Demon Sword
The Mafat Conspiracy
Flying Dragon

>> No.943371

Little Nemo: The Dream Master

Great game, but really hard.

>> No.943375

>>942008
>getsu fuma den

Love this one, and technically great for its year of release.
The only flaw of the game are the terrible third person view maze parts.

Fun fact: Konami used the engine of this game to make TMNT

>> No.943413
File: 7 KB, 192x262, spy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>941806
>Crystalis

>> No.945203

abadox.
best nes shooter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1F-Rw8FT0A&list=PL388920309AD2D1AF