[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 8 KB, 183x251, Laughing Elf Man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
935545 No.935545 [Reply] [Original]

Everybody who has used YouTube knows how terrible the CD-i Zelda and Mario games are, but how many of you have actually played them back in the day?

Believe it or not, back in the mid-'90s, my brother had a CD-i with a copy of Zelda: Wand of Gamelon. I remember it being extremely frustrating and difficult to control, and I never bothered getting very far in it. It wasn't until roughly ten years later that it became extremely infamous on the Internet and I realized how badly received it was.

>> No.936032

Never played it, but knew about it before YouTube Poop or anything was around thanks to Game Informer. Getting completely disowned by Nintendo is also a pretty good sign that a game might not be so good.

>> No.936043

>>936032
Except Nintendo's made plenty of steaming turds like Mother.

>> No.936060
File: 10 KB, 294x294, Oh-boy-here-we-go.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>936043

>> No.936063

>>936060
>Implying Mother was a quality 80s RPG.

>> No.936072

You know, I really hate the internet hype-train/hivemind mentality. People who have never even touched something will call it shit, just because they was a 5min review by someone.

I'm sure there's someone out there who enjoyed the CD-i Zelda games, but has to keep their fond memories of the game a secret because everyone is supposed to like and hate the same things.

>> No.936086

>>936072

I get what you're saying but the CDi Zelda games were genuinely poorly made. They're just not good games plain and simple.

>> No.936091

>>936086
>genuinely poorly made.
Just like Mother. They didn't even bug test the last area.

>> No.936096

>>936063
>Implying opinions
>Starting shit

>>936043
>implying Nintendo had anything to do with Mother
>implying there was any relationship other than "Sure, you can put this game on our console"

>> No.936102

>>936096
>implying implying
>not posting a counter
>all dat butthurt
Enjoy your weeaboo RPG.

>> No.936106 [SPOILER] 
File: 156 KB, 500x362, look mom trolling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>936091

How is Mother relevant unless you're trying to start a shit-slinging match over it?

>> No.936108

>>936106
How is mainstream Zelda relevant unless you're trying to start a circle jerk?

>> No.936112

I've always thought the game part of Hotel Mario, didn't actually look too bad.

>> No.936114

>>936086
See, I don't like the idea of a bad game beyond redemption. I like to think that anything that people put time and effort (no matter how minuscule) can have some redeeming or understandable quality to someone.

I'm fond of the idea of Bad Video Game Syndrome. People who can play a turd of a game, just because they found one redeemable quality that speaks to them.

But yeah, there are a lot of games that I just can't play.

>> No.936113

>>936072

If anybody liked the CD-i games, it's probably because they were too young to understand that bad games existed. I had Glover for the N64, and since it was the only N64 game I had I ate that shit up. Now I can't even play it with my nostalgia goggles on.

>> No.936115

>>936112
It's better than Mario 3. Solid controls, great graphics, catchy music.

>> No.936124

>>935545

IIRC the HG101 article on the CD-i Zelda games actually finds them to be good, overlooked and misjudged action adventure games. Of course it's written by someone who is nostalgic for the games, but still. I think everyone who hasn't had a chance to play the games for themselves should at least take a loot at the other side of the argument:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/zeldacdi/zeldacdi2.htm

>> No.936127

>>936124

eh, linked to the second page of the article by accident.

>> No.936131

>>936114

>See, I don't like the idea of a bad game beyond redemption. I like to think that anything that people put time and effort (no matter how minuscule) can have some redeeming or understandable quality to someone.

So you mean people with poor taste. The backgrounds in CDi Zelda looked good and the music was good (except for that one that isn't Wand of Gamelon or Faces of Evil), but I'm not going to sit down and play them because of those things, and I definitely didn't enjoy playing them. There are games that are objectively bad no matter what single redeeming quality they have. The CDi games aren't special snowflakes that need protection from those mean critics, they died in obscurity with the CDi so that better games and consoles could live on.

>> No.936142

I actually picked up the first two CD-i Zelda's a few months ago and I honestly don't think they're that bad. Don't get me wrong, they are bad, but I think if you tweaked the controls a bit the game would be half-way decent. The cutscenes are beyond redemption though

>> No.936148

>>936072

Well said. This is basically how I feel about whats happened to Simon's Quest. That game's reputation has been ruined forever because of the avgn. Whom by the way has said he actually loves the game and just thought it would be fun to rip the shit out of one of his favorite games.

>> No.936169

>>936148
>Whom by the way has said he actually loves the game and just thought it would be fun to rip the shit out of one of his favorite games.

>(citation needed)

>> No.936171

>>936072
>I'm sure there's someone out there who enjoyed the CD-i Zelda games, but has to keep their fond memories of the game a secret because everyone is supposed to like and hate the same things.

If you can't speak your mind because you're afraid mean people will make fun of you for your opinions, then you should stay off the Internet because you're a quivering fetus who doesn't have a spine or balls yet.

>> No.936173

>>936131
This is where we differ. And you are right there can be objectively bad games, in that a game (by definition) has to have certain concrete objectives and goals. And thus can be judged on how well players are able to execute these goals over time.

But my problem is that for me games are more about the translation of emotions. Games can make you experience feelings of rage, triumph, despair and glee in ways tradition media can't.

So for me, a turd or kusoge might be able to subjectively evoke something that I can appreciate, even if it's just the music, backgrounds and animation.

>> No.936205

>>936148
That seems to be happening with Battletoads now, to an extent, witch is a shame because it really is a great game (in single player, at least).

>> No.936214

>>936169

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3O50r4gI_Q

2:20

Here you go smartass

>> No.936315

I have no problem admitting when a bad game does something well. I think Spawn: the Eternal had some really interesting gameplay mechanics that would have made it a classic and possibly spawned a new 3D platformer/2D fighter hybrid genre if the game overall wasn't a steaming turd.

But there is a reason that Adam Sessler talked shit about it on Extended Play.

>> No.936362

>>936214
To be fair the AVGN isn't exactly a source for a reasonable review of a game so if you're taking his reviews as word of god then that's your own fault.

Never played the CD-i Nintendo games but the cutscenes are hilariously awful. Out of curiosity does the CD-i actually have anything worth owning for genuine fun?

>> No.936376

I guarantee that at least 90% of the people that call the games terrible are judging by the cutscenes alone. Not saying the gameplay is good, but nobody ever seems to comment on the game itself.

>> No.936380

>>936362
There's a scrolling beat em up that's supposed to be somewhat enjoyable. I don't remember what it was called.

>> No.936420

>>936171
Pretty much this.

>> No.937343

>>936171
Or just go to /vr/.