[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 4 KB, 214x235, controller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
932584 No.932584 [Reply] [Original]

Does /vr/ have any guides to gamepads on PC?

Good ones to buy and/or good software to use to make them work right?

I currently have a PS2 to USB converter, but Windows doesn't seem to take well to it. And its an okay dpad, but if there is something out there with a good one I'ld love to know. My kingdom for a twinstick controller with a Sega dpad.

I've looked at the Logitech 310, seems okay and heard using joy2key fixes its deadzone issue that is in the default software. But given what joy2key does I would think it loses the analogue if its using key mapping.

>> No.932601

>>932584
>deadzone issue that is in the default software
>default software
>software
don't use software
virtually every usb controller for pc is plug n play - you plug it in, windows detects it and it just werks

>> No.932625

>>932601
That died with the 360. A lot of things mismatch axis now because the 360 controller hates standards. And I may to converters to get decent dpad if I can't find a straight usb one. Maybe Saturn to usb or something, but that fucks with Windows sometimes.

Now on linux that shit works damn nice if you compile it in, but I find post flight sim games era controller support has gotten wonky.

>> No.932641

>>932625
>That died with the 360
maybe in new games' default controls
anything /vr/-related that i want to play with a gamepad (Logitech Dual Action) just works without any bloatware or hacks

>> No.932652

I have a gamepad from logitech like in OPs pis, works great. You can press on the analog sticks and use them as buttons. I do this with znes and use them to save/load state, beat games really fast this way

>> No.932661

dual shock 3 controller or a quality usb adapters cause the 360 controller is the worst

>> No.932668

Does anyone have any recommendations for gamepads with a turbo button? My current one is dead.

>> No.932672

>>932641
They still aren't created equal and most star reviews online are worthless. It arrived on time 5 stars!

PS2 controller for some reason is getting a lean issue out the bum like I'm mashing right on the stick and I know this controller is fine, thus the hunt for a better method.

>> No.932675

I love my 360 controller, I use it for everything and it does what I need just fine. Even n64, I just map the c buttons to the right stick

>> No.932705

I have a logitech and it's good, I like it better than the ps2 controller for shmups because of the dpad.

I also have

NES Classic USB : it's an OK controller, looks the same the d pad is great, but the a button is a little loose, works well enough though.

Play Sega! usb saturn controller: fantastic for sega games a little cheap fealing, but it was only like 7 bucks and it is responsive.

Retroarch N64 Controller: Feels exactly like the n64 controller, I'm happy with it

Retroarch SNES: feel almost the same as an SNES, they even fixed the buttons so x and y are concave. The L and R are a little springy, but whatever.

PS2 to USB: it's a little weird, to even make it usable I had to use lillypad input plugin and increase the sensitivity of the buttons.

>> No.932706

But yea thought there might be a guide similar to recommended mice.

>> No.932720

>>932705
>Play Sega! usb saturn controller: fantastic for sega games a little cheap fealing, but it was only like 7 bucks and it is responsive.
Don't ever do that. It is cheap as fuck, and the plastic under your D-pad will be the first thing to go and that is only through standard usage of play, not years of play time or D-pad abuse.

>> No.932738

>>932720
Amy suggestions then?

PS2 just isn't working well so Logitech is looking good....but its a gamble on the dpad. I've yet to see a really good one in a long time, but that has mostly been from using first party stuff.

>> No.932745

>>932738

I'm really happy with my logitech

it's a plug and play no fuss kinda deal. Feels super solid. I don't know about the 310, I have a 510 and that shit is built like a tank.

Good all around controller

>> No.932770

>>932738
I have a very similar logitech like that picture. The D-pad is alright, it isn't a Sega D-pad but I have yet to run into any problems with it. The R2 and L2 triggers on the other hand are raised a bit. I haven't used them since I haven't played any games that would need them yet but it is something to keep in mind.

I really like the face buttons, they do feel good in the sense that you know you are pushing them down and that they spring back up readily.

Though if you ever have luck and money to spend, try to get a regular Saturn USB controller since those are excellent for 2D games.

>> No.932942

>>932770
Sounds good. What do you mean raised R2 and L2?

Think the rumble on the 510 worth it or fuck it and just go 310? Might use it for modern stuff but even some PS1 had rumble.

>> No.933002

>>932584
>Does /vr/ have any guides to gamepads on PC?

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Controllers

>> No.933083

>>933002
Exactly what I was looking for awesome. Can a PS3 controller be used wired on PC? Not sure I feel like buying a bluetooth adapter too.

>> No.933260

Didn't read thread but didn't see this link

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

I just started using it and is not nearly as sketchy as motion joy. Works super easy, just plug and play with no need to start up any program.

>> No.933308

>>932672
Try swiveling the sticks in a couple full circles. For some reason, that usually fixes the stick lean issue on any controller/drivers I'm using.

>>933083
Yes! I believe it's plug and play, but I use software called MotionInJoy (I strongly recommend it, even if people say 3rd party driver software is for fools. It's very convenient and will work with the PS3, Xbox, and Xbox 360 pads, possibly more that I haven't tried.) to remap the buttons as necessary, because the controller tilt axes get all kinds of in the way if you don't turn them off, and sometimes games don't agree with the D-pad so you have to set it to buttons 14-17 or something instead of hatup/hatdown etc. And some PC games just don't like controllers at all, so you need to map the keyboard and mouse to your buttons/sticks. I also like mapping escape to the home button on emus so I can back out to the emu UI and pick a different game with the controller.

Out of curiosity, why do people hate the Sony D-pad and swear by the Genesis'? Didn't it have the same exposed disc design that makes the Xbox controller all but useless for 2D games? In my opinion, you won't get a D-pad more precise than the four-points Sony design.

>> No.933312
File: 26 KB, 430x322, wii-classic-controller-20061118030320525.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>932584
This, a cheap USB adapter, rechargeable batteries (the thing lasts for almost 30 fucking hours) and GlovePie.

>> No.933320

>>933312
You know I totally forgot I have a classic pro, though I've heard the drive is practically spyware. Not sure if that is true or not.

>> No.933340

OP I have an older, cheaper version of that controller. Mine has square gates on the analog sticks, but otherwise it's perfectly, well, functional. Also, it has flatter face buttons, more like a Sony than Microsoft controller-- just something to consider; either style should work.

While not exemplary, it's comfortable and works well enough after 5+ years. I would probably just go with a Logitech, albeit probably not the cheapo model like I did back in the day. Any USB controller should just plug-and-play. Easy.

Addendum: At one point I bought a Wii Classic Controller to USB converter that simply did not work for whatever reason. I scoured the maker's website for current drivers, to little avail. I can't remember if they weren't there, or if they just didn't work, but just be wary of anything like that.

>> No.933347

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29
i do this

i did this

>> No.933357

>>933308
>Out of curiosity, why do people hate the Sony D-pad and swear by the Genesis'? Didn't it have the same exposed disc design that makes the Xbox controller all but useless for 2D games? In my opinion, you won't get a D-pad more precise than the four-points Sony design.

First of all, people tend to exaggerate how bad the Xbox D-Pad is. It's...pretty bad, but not unusable. I softmodded my original Xbox years ago and have used it for a decent amount of emulation over the years. It's playable. Not great, but you can get by on it.

The Sega D-Pad looks similar, but is nowhere near as stiff. It's much more responsive. The difference is largely in execution.

>> No.933364

>>932705
You know it's really easy for most of those controllers just to re-wire them to be used for a USB port. I've been doing it with NES pads for a long time, and for everything else I have a Duelshock 3. I don't get why people buy shit like that, when it's cheaper and in my experience, more responsive when you build your own.

>> No.933410

>>933357
Eh, I was describing the Xbox D-pad from experience. I had the original Xbox for a number of years and still use one of its controllers as a PC gamepad because someone stole my other PS3 controller. I also live in America, so if I play games at someone else's house, it is on an Xbox 360. It's definitely usable outside of fighting games, but I still really hate it. If I'm playing Street Fighter or Guilty Gear on the Xbox pad and my opponent has the PS3 pad, I'm not winning.

>> No.933415

wiiu pro controller, get it to do xinput somehow

>> No.933531

>>933308
>Out of curiosity, why do people hate the Sony D-pad and swear by the Genesis'?

The Sony D-pad wasn't a d-pad, but just four oddly shaped buttons placed in close proximity. I've actually known people who tore off the skin from their thumbs playing Streetfighter on that d-pad.

The Megadrive d-pad is pronounced enough to work fine in all 4 directions AND bends into diagonals more easily than any other d-pad. You don't press left+up simultaneously, just the ridges inbetween them.

However note that the MD had tons of pads made by different manufacturers, and some of them are lower quality while some are higher. Most of them have the same disc-on-membrane technique that all pads used, while some of them have the d-pad reach behind the PCB and press the membranes in an inverted direction. I've found those pads to be more responsive.

>> No.933539

>>933531
>I've actually known people who tore off the skin from their thumbs playing Streetfighter on that d-pad.
Yeah, I've heard that urban legend too. I also heard that the right thumb stick would fall off and crawl up your urethra.

>> No.933545

Dual Shock 3 works well, I sold my ps3 though because I never actually used it so I don't have it anymore. I use the one in your picture without issues.

>> No.933546

>>933357
>>933410
I've been using a x360 pad for over 7 years now (only had to replace it ONCE maybe half a year ago), and the d-pad is fine. There indeed are some responsiveness problems (you can "feel" the pad doing contact even though the membrane has not reached the PCB, so you can feel hitting a direction even though it hasn't been hit yet). But it's perfectly acceptable and not a lot worse than other pads. I can finish Keio Flying Squadron on hard and do 4x feint cancel combos in Garou with the x360 pad.

>> No.933550

>>933539
Not an urban legend, it happened to a guy while I was in middle school. It was with a PS1 and SF Ex Plus Alpha. That fatass douchebag even mimicked hadoken movements in thin air.

>> No.933565

>>933308
Sony D-pad is just okay. Its not bad, its honestly a lot like the SNES which it borrows heavily from though perhaps a bit stiffer.

360 is given crap because it is truly crap. Its not a bad controller overall, but the disc design is like the old Turbo Touch good for some things impossible to use for other things. And the internals for it are pretty primitive compared to stuff made ages ago.

Genesis/Saturn are so praised because they were disc shape therefore very easy to rock to pull off moves because unlike the 360 design they didn't give precision to do it.

>>933539
Look up Atari Thumb. It wouldn't be the first pad not to be used long term. Friend got it playing Mario 3 had to have his thumb drained of puss, no big deal though.

Fuck I don't know what to do now. PS3 seems really good but would cost the most, bluetooth dongle with wii is possible not sure on what dongle, or just fuck it buy an F310 and hope it works for everything.

>> No.933582

>>933550
also, note that this was with an original ps1 controller, not the dual analog or dual shock versions.

>> No.933629

>>933308

Don't use Malware in Joy. It's sketchy as hell.

>> No.933647

i have said controller shown in op's pic. it worked for a year or so but now the pc is having trouble detecting if it's plugged in unless i move the cord around. i'm thinking of getting a different gamepad this time around, one that's more durable. other than that though, it comes with its own program that can do keymapping for you. if you don't drop it on a wooden floor all the time like i do, it should handle almost all your needs.