[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 100 KB, 480x413, BreathOfFire2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
932538 No.932538 [Reply] [Original]

Let's have a Breath of Fire thread!
Talk about why Breath of Fire 2 is the best in the series.

>> No.932553

I blame Kat and Krystal for me liking furries.

I'm not a furry, but, yeah I like the art. As for BoF2, I love the multiple endings bit. It's just nice for a game to have multiple endings, even if some of them are bad endings.

>> No.932562

Guess I am the only one that hated BoF2.
First was better. shame about the shit translation.

>> No.932570

>>932553
I still can't wonder why most modern games can't do multiple endings like BoF2 and other retro games. Now it's just lol pick an ending

>> No.932587
File: 84 KB, 400x600, KAT_bof2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>932570
Because people don't like playing a game, messing up, not realizing they messed up and they won't get the best ending or a good ending once they finish the game.

They played the game, they should be an unstoppable movie hero that always gets the girl and saves the day.

>> No.932596

The original character portraits look better than the obes in the GBA version, mostly Katt, she looks super-duper cute in the original.

>> No.932605

Last winter I played the whole series.
When BOF5 ended, it was really depressing, I was having a lot of fun so far.

And then I started a DQ run.

>> No.932602

There's a retranslation patch for this game out there... supposedly makes the story and dialogue better.
Haven't tried it yet... is there really a big difference, is it worth playing the game with it ?

>> No.932621

>>932602
It's... not that big of a difference. But it spices up the graphics and fixes the errors in the text. If you want to replay the game, I'd definetly recommend it.

>> No.932638

>>932587
It's funny, because I hate that idea in theory but I hate not being able to do everything on my first playthrough, least with RPGs in mind. Probably because RPGs are usually tedious and time-consuming as fuck, and I can't justify doing it over again for the sake of an item or something. I also hate playing games multiple times to unlock higher difficulty settings, but I don't know if that's related or not.

>> No.932649

>>932638
>>932638
I hate it in practice but love it in theory.

I make sure I'm going to get the best possible playthrough, even if it means restarting. I just like the fact that devs put the time and effort into making things affect the outcome. But when I do the Suicide Mission in ME2, everyone comes out alive. Except the Collectors. And Ashley. But she died a long time ago.

>> No.932660

>>932570
I find it funny that games like Deus EX:HR has one of the worst ending choices ever, while in CoD: Black Ops 2, your choices early and in the middle of the game matters for getting a specific ending

>> No.932698

>>932649
I think I hate it because most of the games are still very linear despite your choices, so even if you make some different decisions and end up with wildly different endings you still end up doing most or all of the same areas, levels, bosses, events, etc. When that's the case then your only real input on ending comes down to trivial things IMO. You don't really make choices that dramatically change the rest of the game, so even the most 'serious' of choices end up affecting very little in practice, and the endings just feel unwarranted. It's like offering a kid a choice between two different hats to wear, and then a week later grounding him for choosing the wrong hat.

I'm sure that there are counterexamples to this, where entirely different levels, storylines, characters, etc. are accessed by your choices, but I've not played any such game myself.

>> No.933689

>>932562
I hated the second one with a passion.

I really wanted to like it but all the random battles and the slow moving on the overworld map (you dont get the fast travel bird till the end and she gets taken away from you right after) and the fact that you needed to change characters to advance the story but you had to go to certain places to change characters, UGH that pissed me off, I made it pretty far too I think i was in the last church area.

>> No.934265

>>932538
It's not; breath of fire 3 was superior in all ways. Though admittedly I still really enjoyed 2. The music for Barbury fight is still one of my favorite SNES tracks.

>> No.934274

1 & 2 are the only BoF games I liked. (never played dragon's quarter)

>> No.934807
File: 5 KB, 111x150, thu_97c5949b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw stil regularly read all of Neo Arcanis' yiff stories today

>> No.934812

>>932538
>Talk about why Breath of Fire 2 is the best in the series.

It's not

>> No.934830

>>933689
>>934265
>>934812
Seconding these.

>> No.934848

>no BoF3,4,V

>no sequel ;_________________;

>> No.935082

I always found the "sad" ending to be the most apropriate ending in terms of story. It's bittersweet and closes the loop in a neat way. you know Ryu becomming a dragon and guarding the gate has implications both physical and abstract.

On the other hand, blocking the gate with Township is just a purely physical quality and it's also a bit silly.

>> No.935097
File: 335 KB, 418x600, momo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>932538
>Breath of Fire 2
>best

That's a weird way to say Breath of Fire 3

>> No.935103

>>932538
>>935097
The best BoF is off-topic on /vr/, OP should remove the thread asap, thank you.

>> No.935169

>>934265
I liked it too, except for the part where it's ten seconds long.

the battle music in this game was too short... an extension of the boss music would be awesome.

>> No.935187

>>934265
>>935097
The biggest problem with BoF3 was that the story was not at all engaging imo. I mean 90% of the game is this:
Pre-skip: WE GOTTA GET AWAY FROM THE HORSE GUYS
Post-skip: LET'S GO MEET THE GODDESS

And that's about it. BoF2 tied the events of the game together with character arcs, which gives a more personal experience while fleshing out the characters. 3 didn't really do this as I recall.

Also while 3's dragon system was better, I didn't much care for trainers.

>> No.935194

>>935187
More like
Pre-Skip: Guys I gotta find my family, those asshole horse guys tried to kill us
Post-Skip: Guys I gotta find out what happened to my other family, you know, the dragons

BoF3 at least stringed it's story together nicely, BoF2 was more or less a series of short stories featuring each character in turn, making for a terribly disjointed narrative that was amazingly fucking stupid at times.

>> No.935215

>>932596
How bout' you post a comparison pic to back up your claim?

>> No.935256

>>935194
That's the point though, that 2 had some nice "short stories" to fill the game out. In fact the main story was more of a backdrop for most of the game. Imo that's much more appealing than 3's plot, which spends terribly long periods of time going nowhere with nothing of note really happening.

>> No.935343

>>935256
>nothing of note
By that logic, BoF2 had even less of note happening. The main story wasn't so much a "backdrop" as "forgotten for long periods and oh shit this game is about Ryu and not all those other people, right?"

Much like BoF2, each character in BoF3 got their time to shine, it was just handled in much better fashion where it wasn't "Oh look a new area, guess I gotta lug about this character because it's their turn to pretend to be the MC." BoF3's plot is meandering, but BoF2's plot doesn't so much meander so much as it goes off in random directions like some ADHD kid.

>> No.935406
File: 347 KB, 800x600, 1320218396338.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my biggest problem with BOF2 was the specificity of the shamans. I wanted robot Bow, and I wanted the super-Katt. i hated having to pick between the two. there were other combos that were impossible, this is just the one that pops into my head first. on the other end of the spectrum, rand is an obvious choice---he's normally great, and later get's better with shamans---and his doesn't interfere with anyone.
also, fuck Spar.

>> No.935417

>>935343
>handled in much better fashion
You mean like how so little of their character is actually explored? Seems like you're mostly mad about using different characters instead of the same 3 or 4. Sorry but I prefer actually exploring these characters lives in more depth than just having them be more minimalistic and going back to doing nothing for 5 hours.

>> No.935425

I LOVED BoF3s gameplay dont get me wrong but the story went off in to many tangents that bored the fuck out of me. I just want to save the day not talk to every single goddamn person we meet...

>> No.935449

>>935417
>u mad
Why does everyone say this when someone disagrees? It's as if people want to discredit their own posts.

I'm not mad.
>You mean like how so little of their character is actually explored?
We got plenty of character depth for characters in BoF3 without having to dedicate segments to them in an extremely formulaic manner. I say "better handled" because stopping and spending time on each character is a cheap writing trick used to pad out the game.
>doing nothing for 5 hours.
Like I said, by this logic BoF2 is even worse. The vast majority of the game is padding that is ultimately irrelevant to the plot - at least BoF3 seemed to remember what it was about.

Like i said before - Bof3 is meandering, BoF2 is an ADHD kid.

>> No.935504

I feel BoF5 is my favorite one. It's retro right? Even if it was the bullet that ended the franchise...

>> No.935537

>>935449
That's not what I said, I brought that up because you referred to disliking having to 'lug' certain characters along at certain points.

>We got plenty of character depth for characters in BoF3 without having to dedicate segments to them in an extremely formulaic manner. I say "better handled" because stopping and spending time on each character is a cheap writing trick used to pad out the game.
But that's just it, padding out a game isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when there are long stretches with little notable happening. Padding with character-focused things is a means of engaging the player. Sorry it didn't work for you.

>> No.935543

The only diversion I hated in 2 was Simafort. Building the party, hunting the seven deadly sins, and the other character closure arcs were ok.

>> No.937532

>>935187
BoF3 is a strange mixture of character driven narrative and plot driven narrative.

Personally I love it.

>> No.937546

Can somebody explain me why this fucking game is great?

I finished this piece of shit a long time ago, all that I remember is that weapons don't have elemental damage

Please.... OH WAIT?! THIS SHIT HAS MULTIPLE ENDINGS... WTF!?

i'm not playin this piss poor translated fucking pile of vomit japanese ding dong wong dildo fucks... no sir.

>> No.937563
File: 200 KB, 472x600, 1373786800482.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You know, the sad thing about these games for me is how much I truly.. don't like them.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to like this series. I love the concept, the art style, and even the presentation of the battles and the world. So, when I say I don't like them, I guess you can say that from a narrative stand point. I've always found the ones I've played to be very stale and take a little too long to get anywhere, I think the longest I've stick with one was 3 and that is because I really wanted to hit the "adult" stage, but just couldn't stand rolling around with young Nina anymore. The other issue I have is the gameplay. Given how truly easy all the basic encounters are, they move at such a mind numbing pace because they are fully animated. These games also work on random encounters instead of EOF, so to me, moving across even a screen feels like a chore given the enemies and how the battle system is laid out.

That's sadly my opinion on it.
I think I want to try 4 again someday, but with the current climate of games, it has to wait.

>> No.938220

>>937563
>young Nina
Yeah, she's kind of obnoxious. But that means you missed out on reuniting with super-cool guy Rei.

If you think the encounters were easy early on, late game you get access to a cheap, powerful, status-immune dragon transformation in Tiamat and everything dies.

Also, BoF4 is worse about the random encounters - While BoF3 stops you were you are, BoF4 stops, screen wipes, and then goes to a separate background like the FF games, so it's even slower.

>> No.940635 [DELETED] 
File: 124 KB, 690x349, a34[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Which one is most suitable for a BoF fan?

>> No.940678

i think BoF4 is the best put-together game, while BoF3 is my favorite

>> No.941025

>>940678
Battles are so much fun in BoF4.
Combos everywhere

>> No.944032

>>935543
>hunting the 7 deadly sins

Wait what?!?!? Please elaborate?

>> No.944050

1 & 2 are among my favorite RPG's of all time. however I don't really have that many fond memories of 3 & 4. don't get me wrong they weren't bad games by any means, they just never captured my attention like the first two did.

>> No.944075

>>938220
That was the one thing I missed the most from BoF3. Hardly any games do that nowadays. The only one I know that does it is Hyperdimension Neptunia.

>> No.946335

>>944032
Wrath - The colosseum boss
Lust - The bandit leader
Envy - Jean's imposter
Greed - The rich collector
Sloth - The idol in the whale
Gluttony - The fatties
Pride - Take your pick